NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maura was trying to get away from the scene. In my opinion she wouldn't have gone to any of the surrounding houses.

Maybe and maybe not. She had the presence of mind to take her alcohol and lock her doors. One has to wonder what immediate plans she had in mind. OK I'm going to grab my booze and backpack and start running. It was dark and cold and she all but disappeared in the span of about 10 minutes. The police didn't seem to interested in finding her and they didn't go door to door asking the neighbors till later. Maura could have gone to one of the homes on that street and asked for help. When the police showed up it would have been obvious so the logical thing to do would be for Maura to go outside and get a ride into town with someone but she couldn't do that because of her past accidents. This neighbor knowing Maura's situation could have tried to take advantage of Maura.

Maybe and maybe not. She had the presence of mind to take her alcohol and lock her doors. One has to wonder what immediate plans she had in mind. OK I'm going to grab my booze and backpack and start running. It was dark and cold and she all but disappeared in the span of about 10 minutes. The police didn't seem to interested in finding her and they didn't go door to door asking the neighbors till later. Maura could have gone to one of the homes on that street and asked for help. When the police showed up it would have been obvious so the logical thing to do would be for Maura to go outside and get a ride into town with someone but she couldn't do that because of her past accidents. This neighbor knowing Maura's situation could have tried to take advantage of Maura.

I'm really of the opinion that if any of the neighbors had anything to do with it then this case would have been solved long ago. There is really nothing that ties any of the neighbors to this case. The only things that tie any of the neighbors to it is all the gossip that is out there.

I'm really of the opinion that if any of the neighbors had anything to do with it then this case would have been solved long ago. There is really nothing that ties any of the neighbors to this case. The only things that tie any of the neighbors to it is all the gossip that is out there.

Two separate cadaver dogs hit in the exact same spot in the basement of the same house. Fred was trying for years to get this house searched. How is that nothing?

I agree. Why would she run to some unknown neighbor’s house looking for help when she had just refused help from one of said neighbors? That doesn’t make much sense. The only way I could believe she went to another neighbor’s house is if a female neighbor came outside and asked her if she needed help. She’s in the woods. She just hasn’t been found yet. JMO.

Two separate cadaver dogs hit in the exact same spot in the basement of the same house. Fred was trying for years to get this house searched. How is that nothing?

And they looked into that already and it amounted to nothing. Cadaver dogs making a hit doesn't really mean a whole lot as there are still lots of different things it could be.

were the neighbors that offered help the ones that called the cops? that's what I thought..if someone said you can come in here and get a signal..or someone said they would hide her. mOO.

were the neighbors that offered help the ones that called the cops? that's what I thought..if someone said you can come in here and get a signal..or someone said they would hide her. mOO.

Basically the situation was the guy saw Maura in her car while he was still in his bus and offered her help and asked her if she wanted him to call the police. She refused his help and lied and told him that she had already called the cops. He left and went inside his house and told his wife about the situation and during that time is when Maura left her vehicle.

and they are one hundred percent sure thats what went down... but I find myself asking if that is actually what happened...if that is the correct time line. I mean we have a guy and an empty bus...I don't know , you only have their word.

mOO

and they are one hundred percent sure thats what went down... but I find myself asking if that is actually what happened...if that is the correct time line. I mean we have a guy and an empty bus...I don't know , you only have their word.

mOO

There is nothing to dispute their claims. No you can't be absolutely a 100% sure that they had absolutely nothing to do with it but there is nothing that would make people think that they did have something to do with it. And their stories sound pretty realistic in terms of how people would act in a situation like that. THe fact that Maura had a bf that has gone on to be abusive towards women should raise more alarm bells than those two should.

So I have a theory about this case and I apologize for not reading all the threads involved in the case as I just began using this site.

Has anyone ruled out a new onset psychotic illness in this young woman? I have some experience in mental health field and in college-aged people, one of the reasons for suicide attempt or running away is first-break psychosis which can cause accidents, alcohol binges, suicide attempts, and other careless behaviors. Basically, they hear voices and get frightened/distracted and that's what leads to the above incidents. They think they're going crazy and we sometimes see these patients in the ER with self-inflicted stab wounds or gunshot wounds or seriously injured in a one-car accident.

Not saying this was Maura, but has anyone ruled this out? Because for a young woman to have two car accidents in a couple of days, leave school mysteriously, then disappear with all that alcohol suggests to me that maybe there was a mental health break going on and she is in the right age for this.

My thoughts as well.
Also, many whose first onset of psychotic episodes - may be diagnosed with schizophrenia- are people in late teens to early twenties
Frequently, up to the point of psychiatric help, they can be 'high flyers' - very intelligent, good grades, etc.
If she didn't perish of exposure that night then she probably was in a very bad place - on every level.
Maybe each day she thought 'tomorrow I'll get help, tomorrow I'll contact family/friends, tomorrow I won't drink' etc
Each day goes by and with each day those ideas are easier to let go of
Maybe she's out there on 'skid row' so to speak - or after a tough time got her life together, too ashamed to reach out and then reluctant to go back to her past she fought hard to forget.....and she decides she doesn't want to go back to the past
She might feel her current life would be jeopardized
Imagine if she's a husband, children, career now - but based on lies........she already went through hell: she won't risk it.
I hope she got her life together.......
Not real optimistic about that though :(

My thoughts as well.
Also, many whose first onset of psychotic episodes - may be diagnosed with schizophrenia- are people in late teens to early twenties
Frequently, up to the point of psychiatric help, they can be 'high flyers' - very intelligent, good grades, etc.
If she didn't perish of exposure that night then she probably was in a very bad place - on every level.
Maybe each day she thought 'tomorrow I'll get help, tomorrow I'll contact family/friends, tomorrow I won't drink' etc
Each day goes by and with each day those ideas are easier to let go of
Maybe she's out there on 'skid row' so to speak - or after a tough time got her life together, too ashamed to reach out and then reluctant to go back to her past she fought hard to forget.....and she decides she doesn't want to go back to the past
She might feel her current life would be jeopardized
Imagine if she's a husband, children, career now - but based on lies........she already went through hell: she won't risk it.
I hope she got her life together.......
Not real optimistic about that though :(

Whatever happened at this point it would be very unlikely she would still be alive. She wouldn't really be able to use any kind of credit and would have trouble holding down jobs without being found.

It is very, very, very difficult to willingly disappear in the post 9/11 era. And even those that would know how to the vast majority of them wouldn't be able to do it. I don't think a 21 year old would either know how to do it or be able to do it.

Whatever happened at this point it would be very unlikely she would still be alive. She wouldn't really be able to use any kind of credit and would have trouble holding down jobs without being found.

It is very, very, very difficult to willingly disappear in the post 9/11 era. And even those that would know how to the vast majority of them wouldn't be able to do it. I don't think a 21 year old would either know how to do it or be able to do it.

I could see myself freaking out when a guy driving a bus offers you a ride so you can call the police especially if you were trying to take a and go somewhere to clear your head. Someone more your age or going in the opposite will give you a ride you might take it. You could get dropped off at a gas station or somewhere and then get another to somewhere else or you get in a psycho's car. You could also end up invited to party at some point. Who knows who you meet. If you traveled in multiple vehicles people might not know they had her in their car. It sounds stupid and probably is I can't judge. I do have an issue with someone like the bus driver who had the best of intentions not realizing how they and their large vehicles come off to women or even kids. The stranger danger stories usually involve older men (men older than the victim) and sometimes they offer assistance or ask for it. If I'm hitchhiking and I'm choosing who can help me I feel like I have some control. That's probably dangerous to think that way. Does that make sense or just sound nuts?

Missing woman's family asks for historical marker along road

The family of Maura Murray, a 21-year-old nursing student who disappeared after a 2004 car crash in New Hampshire, is asking for a state highway historical marker to be installed at the spot where where she vanished.

For years, the family kept a blue ribbon tied around a tree near the road in Haverhill. But the Caledonian-Record reports the property owner wants to cut down the tree.

In an exclusive interview, Western Mass News spoke with Maura's sister Julie as her family still searches for answers.

Maura Murray was a nursing student at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. On February 9, 2004, she emailed her professors and told them there had been a death in her family and she would be off-campus for a week, but after that day, she was never seen again.

“There was no death in the family,” her sister Julie Murray said.

The 21-year-old disappeared after a car accident in Haverhill, New Hampshire on Route 112.

“This family does not have closure,” said Rep. Debra Desimone (R-New Hampshire). “They don't know where she is, they don't know if she's still alive.”

Desimone has been working with the family in recent months to keep a permanent marker on that roadway to remember Maura.

Julie Murray told Western Mass News before the accident, her records show she called a condominium owner in Bartlett, New Hampshire, a place their family vacationed.

“Maura was familiar with the complex,” the sister said.

But Maura never made it there. We asked Julie if Maura told anyone where she was going.

“No, that's what's so mysterious,” she said.
UMass student disappearance case remains unsolved

If the landowner wants to cut down the tree then he/she has every right to do so. A marker being placed there should be up to them as well. If the Murray family really wants to have control over situations like that then they probably need to buy that area of land from the owner.

I hate to say it but it is nearing twenty years now since she went missing. The people who live around the area/ own land there have every right to do what they wish regardless if it keeps the memory of the girl that dissapeared there so long ago or not.

but here's the thing since we are trying to think what would I do if... well, did any cars pass? if you were Maura would you stick your thumb out? Probably most folks driving thru that area at that hour are local. maybe she was out there alone on the road walking and someone pulled over and took her. There is really nothing stopping anyone from committing these kinds of crimes in isolated dark settings. mOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back