Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SewingDeb said:
What if someone took her across in the trunk of their vehicle? No one would know unless they had reason to open the trunk.
Ah, good thought, I remember those good old days of sneaking into drive-in movies that way!!! LOL

On Feb. 11 a police dog was brought to the scene, but was able to track her for only 100 yards, prompting her family to conclude that she got a ride. A police helicopter and ground search also turned up no evidence.
THE CALEDONIAN-RECORD ONLINE EDITION · WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 18, 2004

If a car bag is deployed in the car, as said Maura's was--can you sstill sit in the driver's seat, meaning is there enough room. Read that she was in car--so did she move to passengers side or were there 2 bags that deployed??

He described Murray's struggle to squeeze her way out through the driver’s door of the car that he said had sustained considerable front-end damage.

I am just not clear on how air bags work and how jolted you get from them..also if there was a spider web crack on windshield, at what time would that occur before or after an air bag is released?

As to Maura's ability to get out of the car...there is one article that I can't locate at the moment that specifically mentions the air bag, and another that mentions the door in the snow bank causing difficulty.

Different people have told us different things about what happens to an airbag after a crash and I suspect that it depends on the model and year of the car. In the only picture I have seen of Maura's car, the airbag is not hanging out as I would have expected. We have been told that in some models that the airbags get sucked back in...or perhaps it was cut out. This picture appears in a hard copy of the North Country News and was not online to my knowledge.

From the research I have done it would appear that you can get quite a jolt from an airbag and in rare cases they can also lead to anaphylactic shock due to the powder that is released. I know that a friend of my son's has lost partial vision in one of her eyes because of the powdery substance from an airbag.

The hole/crack in the windshield could have been caused by a few things...Maura, if the airbag did not deploy properly or depending on how she was seated in the car, the cover to the airbag compartment and some have mentioned rocks and other things...we don't know what caused it.

This is an interesting article about airbag safety for women:

Dr Maria-Segui Gomez, leading airbag researcher, reported that for female drivers, airbags create a net protective effect only when a vehicle's speed exceeds 52 to 62 Kmh ( 32 to 38 mph). Ms Gomez published this study in the American Journal of Public Health on October 2000, and she also stated that these speeds may be conservative (i.e. may be higher) because of limitations in the data. At lower speeds, the potential for injury from airbags outweighs the benefits. This included all female drivers, not just the shorter ones defined in NHTSA's endangered group.

Emergency Medical personnel and police officers who are on the scene of accidents regularly see the results of airbag induced injuries and know the danger. Hospital emergency room physicians are well aware of the danger and deal with airbag-induced injuries regularly. Research by Dr. Wm Smock, MD (Professor at the Dept of Emergency Medicine and Director of Clinical Forensic Medicine, University of Louisville Hospital, and Police Surgeon) reports on his experience with severe injuries from airbags and airbag module covers to the hands, arms and heads of drivers and passengers. Dr. Smock's article is summarized by Margaret Brown, an airbag injury victim, and the technical article itself is also available. http://www.airbagonoff.com/airbag safety.htm

petra said:
Was this in effect in Feb 2004? REason I ask is D just went from Boston to Montreal R/T on Greyhound in mid January 2006. She inquired about tix on phone, told she could buy at bus station and remindered to bring pass and or id because Canadian regulations NOW required them.
I don't know about February 2004, but I think we're saying the same thing - they check id. If you have a passport then that is perfect, but if you don't you can still get in by showing a photo id (e.g. driver's license), social security # card and a certified copy of your birth certificate. I personally do not have a passport and had to use all of the latter forms of id, so did the other people with me. They also sometimes do vehicle checks/car searches, so if she were in somebody's trunk they'd be risking the chance that they'd may be getting the whole car searched at the border with her in there. People have varying experiences with how secure or lax things are at the border. I have gotten into a Western province of Canada with just the border patrol guy asking several questions about the intentions of our trip plus some other personal id type questions and being happy with the answers w/o seeing any of our ids. But, as I mentioned, I have heard and have had experience with the Eastern provinces being more tight on security and checking things.

Yes Lilly-- I think we are. D is not US or Canadian citizen. Has Norwegian passport and thought she might need visa. But they said her University ID card was fine but did not even check it at time she bought tickets.

I remember flying into US/NY from Oslo thru Toronto. This was in early 2002.We had to change planes and go thru luggage check. All they wanted to see was our plane tickect to NY, they did not check passport again- with something like 3 hr layover. Friends went this route from Copenhagen this past christmas and they did check passports and were warned ahead that they would.

So I was wondering if rules were changed as of certain date. I hear that they will be changing rules for US citizens into Mexico at some point soon.

m-d

thanks for info on airbags--gosh, they sound dangerous.never heard about the kind that suck back in but what a good idea.

if Maura's deployed and the door was hard to get out off because of location of car after crash, ...I am amazed she could even gather her wits to get out.

I know I probably would be in complete shock and be sitting there for quite a while....but that is just me, I am in no way as fit as Maura is.

I may well look into airbag info online. One thing has always bothered me about the spidered windshield: Have you ever properly seatbelted youself into a saturn and and then tried to force your head to touch the windshield? I would think that if you are properly seatbelted you would be unable to even reach the windshield at all with or without airbags. My own car is not a saturn but when seatbelted in my car I cannot reach the windshield with my head at all, and I am over 6 ft. 1in. ,almost 6 ft 2 in.

Was it determined that the crack in the windshield was made at the time of the accident?? Seems everyone is focusing on the car, conditions of weather, busdriver, what LE did/didn't do.....I'm more focused on her actions before and after the accident..they are what make me think Maura went missing on her own account.

czechmate7 said:
Was it determined that the crack in the windshield was made at the time of the accident?? Seems everyone is focusing on the car, conditions of weather, busdriver, what LE did/didn't do.....I'm more focused on her actions before and after the accident..they are what make me think Maura went missing on her own account.
Information from family and friends at UMass say that there was not a crack in the windshield the last time each of them saw Maura's car - most of their reports were in the timeframe approx 2 weeks before she vanished.

FYI: If you are sitting in the driver's seat, the spider crack is located in the upper left corner of the windshield.

Several assumptions can be made regarding the crack:

The crack is the result of the physics involved in the deployment of the airbag.

The crack is the result of Maura's head hitting the windshield because the air bag deployed "late"

The crack was already there..........

regardless, the crack was made by force from INSIDE of the car -because according to the family, the crack does not go through the glass, but is confined to the interior windshield.

As with so many concerns re Maura, there is no factual answer, only assumption/theory.

czechmate7 said:
You raise a good point. However, the main reason I was concerned about this windshield thing is because in the past people have posted concerns of possible head injury from hitting the windshield and whether that played a role in her disappearance, as in wandering off into wilderness or, while in a daze, accepting a ride she would not otherwise have accepted. For me it was just one of those little loose ends but you are right in that it is not likely as important an issue as as the other points in the case. I certainly did not mean to distract anyone from looking at more important things.

doc...I'm sorry, my statement wasn't geared toward your post imparticular; I was just talking in general. Many posters have given several theories starting from the scene of the accident; but I feel whatever was going on with Maura started long before Feb 9th....

czechmate7 said:
doc...I'm sorry, my statement wasn't geared toward your post imparticular; I was just talking in general. Many posters have given several theories starting from the scene of the accident; but I feel whatever was going on with Maura started long before Feb 9th....

If there was something going on in Maura's life that fits your description of "whatever was going on with Maura started long before Feb 9th"", I personally don't believe that it was evident to those who know her best.

The email that she sent to her boyfriend the very afternoon before she went missing promised that she would call that night. She told him that she loved him; it refers to her getting messages from him the day before, but that she didn't feel like talking. For those of you familiar with this case, you know that Maura called the boyfriend around 4:30am 2/8 after she arrived at her dad's motel. According to the boyfriend's interviews, she was crying and upset, but he was able to calm her down, and promised to call her later in the day. He says those were the messages that she mentions. I personally think her calling him after the first accident is evidence that they were not having problems - she turned to him to for help and comfort. Here is the email that has been posted before:

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 13:00:06 -0500

Subject: hey hey

To:"Bill Rausch" xxxx@xxxxx

I love you more stud

I got your messages, but honestly, i didn't feel like talking to much

of anyone, i promise to call today though

love you

maura

Sharon, the boyfriend's mother posted at www.mauramurray.com that except for several hours that Maura had worked in the UMass Art Gallery, she had been with her Dad all day on 2/8 before she went missing 2/9. Maura's Dad has said in interviews that he saw no indications that anything was wrong while he was with her that weekend.

I have to agree with the family and the boyfriend who said in their early interviews that they thought it possible that she decided to take the time off of school because she was possibly very upset about wrecking her father's car - that it would be typical of her to be upset more than the average girl her age because of her deep sense of responsibility.

As I reflect on what we know:

1. She was majoring in a very difficult area - the fail rate is high and UMass - as all nursing schools do - was pointing out the percentage that would fail.

2. She was in her second semester that included not only class - most likely minimum of 16 hours, but also the daily clinicals which are of themselves nearly a full time job.

3. She worked 2 part-time jobs on campus: Dorm Security (I know for certain that the shift was until 2 am Thurs - Sat and I *believe* until 12 am Sun - Wed) + Art Gallery on Sat and Sun + some afternoons. She was supporting herself with these jobs while her college tuition was paid by scholarship which placed upon her the additional burden of maintaining a high gpa.

4. She was over 2000 miles from her boyfriend

5. Both her sister and boyfriend were facing being deployed to Iraq.

6. She experienced some sort of emotional break while working security around 1 am on 2/6

I belive it is very possible that her emotional meltdown while at the security job on 2/6 was simply that she was pushed to her physical and mental limits; that the first accident was the proverbial "straw that broke the camels back" - she felt she had to get away just to have some time to herself. Of course it is soooo reasonable to think that she felt she needed to go to "her favorite place" (the White Mountains of NH, according to her family), to decide whether to stay or leave UMass; go to OK to live with her boyfriend (where she had already been hired to work in a hospital for the summer of 2004 beginning in June - so employment would not have been a problem for her)

I have no evidence to support this theory other than it is logical reasoning base on my own female experience of physical and mental "overload" a few times in my own young life as well as rearing several daughters who have also expressed that they each took time away from college ***without*** letting me or any of their friends know(and in their case, unlike Maura they did not even notify their professors) because they just felt overwhelmed and needed quiet time alone....they each confessed this to me after I became so involved in being an advocate for Maura. Knowing people who know her and seeing their pain is heart wrenching.

At least, from my point of view and hours of reviewing media reports combined with speaking to a few people who know Maura, I believe this is all that we know about “what was going on with Maura”.

......sorry for this weird format - had a heck of a time getting this to post and could not correct all of the extra spaces.:(

czechmate7 said:
I agree with you.

docwho3 said:
I agree with you.
I agree also. This was building up for some time. And it seems like there are no answers to the questions asked, Perhaps her files that LE has which sound very extensive include medical info. Yet another reason not to release them.
JMO

gatetrekker44 said:
of Maura's case by LE currently?
It is being investigated by the NH Attorney's Office and the NH SP Major Crimes Unit.

They will not tell her family if the designation is "Missing Person" or "Criminal"

So, it would seem to me that unless Maura is under suspicion of commiting a "major crime", her case must surely be a criminal investigation.

Sorry to sound so legalistic but our posts are not always consecutive on this site so I am just trying to refer to the points that seem important to me.

Thanks to posts on this site and on the Maura site by Peabody, Sharon, and last night on the Maura site by KMayotte the student supervisor who was with Maura that night after 1am on 2-6-04 we really have a better account of the "breakdown" that Maura suffered that evening.

It was for real, not a fake alibi to leave work early. KM says also that Maura refused to go to counseling at the student health center, and just wanted to go back to her room to get some sleep.

Maura told a white lie, saying she would have her room mate to assist her, when in fact she lived in a single.

It appears from KMayotte's post last night on the Maura site that another student had called her about Maura's distress, and that she came over to Maura's desk at security after 1am.

Maura said something about worry concerning "her sister" which is evidently what caused police to question Kathleen so aggressively, but we now know that Maura and Kathleen had talked (Maura on cellphone) after 10pm.

So the cause of Maura's upset is still mysterious, and she was not forthcoming with KMayotte.

It seems unlikely that this was just stress or lack of sleep or concern about her boyfriend Lt Wm Rausch (Kathleen had told Maura about a fight she had had with her boyfriend Tim).

There seems a hint that Maura was on the verge of telling Lt Rausch about what was really troubling her on Sun am when she called him at 4.49am and he calmed her down after the accident with her Dad's car. His impression was that something more was bothering her. And it also seems she had more to tell him given her several attempts to communicate on Monday the day of her disappearance and possibly on Wednesday 2/11 during the uncompleted call to his cellphoone when he was at the Okla city airport.

To me this strongly suggests that something extreme was troubling Maura both that Thursday night and that weekend, causing her to take off from UMA on the Monday--although I believe as well that she planned to return later that week either to withdraw or to continue her classes.

I believe (see my posts on the Maura site) that she literally ran on foot from the Swiftwater accident scene in NH--Sharon's posts have convinced me that Maura's passion for running anytime anywhere without notifying anyone where or how long she was going made her cocky about her running prowess--in order to avoid police before they arrived at her car stuck in the snowbank.

The greater mystery is whether she survived and kept on going after the next two days (Feb 10 and 11 of 2004) or whether she was indeed abducted & harmed as many fear. Most of the posters on the Maura site believe that she was accosted and murdered.

If she survived and kept on going and is alive today it was something extreme
that caused her to flee the accident scene in NH, and to make the painful decision not to contact family & loved ones.

I urge everyone to spend the time reviewing the posts of Sharon & Pike & the surprise intervention by KMayotte the student supervisor of dorm security in order to make their own determinations.

I have been following the posts there at the mauramurray website, although I haven't looked at the thread yet since earlier today.

Was Kathleen living with the mother or the father when the phone call took place? (On the night it allegedly took place?) Did Kathleen have only a cell phone or did she have her own landline in the house and if a landline was it her own line and number, different than the main house number? Since L.E. did not say (so far as I am aware) what number to which they really traced the call, I feel the need to ask. In actual fact I am not even certain that the alleged 1 am call was ever sucessfully traced. All we have to hint that it was is the alleged "questioning technique" used by L.E. in questioning Kathleen. The only phone records we actually have heard reported about said a call at 10 pm not 1 am so our info is not certain at all about this alleged 1 am call.

Assuming a land line, and if the alleged call took place at 1am and was truly upsetting, then if that call was to the main house number then the conversation might have been about kathleen, or her other sister, Julie rather than a conversation with Kathleen. (And that assumes Maura wasn't telling yet another lie in claiming that she was concerned about her sister.) (Sorry,not just running down maura, but according to the facts known about this case she seems to have shown a propensity towards using a lie & in fact on the night of the alleged upsetting call when her supervisor suggested counseling for her, Maura allegedly told her supervisor that she would instead have her room mate help her, but she didn't have a room mate as her room was a single room and she had also said "oh nothing", or something close to that, when asked what was wrong.
http://mauramurray.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1935

Taken by itself that one incident might not seem like any sort of major deception but in concert with her other lies that have come to light in this case I have to ask:
So were these just little lies intended to put off an inquisitive boss? Or just how deep was the deception? Was there ever a 1 am phone call? If so was it really upsetting or was she just good enough to fool people? At this point I don't know but I keep the possibility in mind until I can rule it out.) If the call was from Maura to someone in the house on a landline and was called from the school phone then only L.E. would know what number was called as it would probably not show up on the home phone bill. If you ask who Maura spoke to and then you also ask why did maura want so very much to speak to her dad the night she wrecked his car then one has to ask if there is some as yet unexplained connection to those events.

kmayotte said:
. . .I gave her my cell phone so I could bring her to Dunkin Donuts in the morning. . .
http://mauramurray.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1935
And I also wonder why the supervisor had to loan Maura a cell phone to take to her dorm (so she could call her the next morning to go to breakfast together) if Maura had her own cell phone? Where was Maura's phone that she had no access to it? That's just another of those little loose ends.
Oh, and come to think of it that means that maura had access to another cell phone that night and the next morning so we don't know who she might have contacted on it.

And as much as it isn't a popular position, I have to say I am not yet convinced the call or its effects on Maura weren't acting. But I am willing to entertain the thought that it wasn't faked and to that end I asked the questions above.

My impression is that Kathleen was still living with Mom as was Maura.

Dont know about Kathleen's phone--probably also cell?

I believe KM is saying she gave Maura her cell phone number to call Fri am, not that she gave her actual phone.

YES once again we see Maura using white lies and small deceptions in this instance--as she gets back to her room having avoided any real discussion about what was upsetting her.

I am pretty certain the UMA security phones just connected to campus, and were supposed to stay open at all times to notify police including I think police in Amherst. Student workers were not supposed to use these for personal calls without asking permission. So most likely personal calls were on cell even though security workers were not supposed do that either---except on breaks or time away from the desk.

To me it seems possible that Maura herself had made a call using the UMA phone which caused her to get hysterical. Of course we don't know what LE
has been able to determine about all of the above.

Thanks for the kind response. I do appreciate you taking the time for it:

hydemi said:
My impression is that Kathleen was still living with Mom as was Maura. . .
Since everything in this case is connected to Maura and Maura likely originated the alleged upsetting phone call then I have to think that it is most likely that event is connected to Maura's wanting to go to see her dad about 3 am or 3:30 am within 48 hours from that upsetting phone call (or should I be saying within 24 hours-I lost count.) I think the call happened late thur. night/early fri morning and by Monday evening Maura had been in 2 single car accidents (one each in different cars) in which alcohol was a factor in some way and was gone.

I ask myself: Was there something that Maura wanted to tell her dad and the alcohol she had drank the night of her first accident had loosened her normal reserve so that she felt it was time to tell him but the accident prevented her? Or did she want to confront him about something and the alcohol she had drank the night of her first accident had given her the courage to make the attempt but the accident prevented her?

The fact that it was claimed that L.E. had traced the call to Kathleen is why I asked where Kathleen was staying on the night of the call. If Maura had in fact spoken to someone else at the allegedly traced number and not Kathleen at 1 am then it would stand to reason that whoever was in the house would have been on the short list of who Maura spoke to and might know what the call was really about.

hydemi said:
. . .I believe KM is saying she gave Maura her cell phone number to call Fri am, not that she gave her actual phone. . .
You may well be right(and I think you are) but I just want to read her saying that since she worded it as," . .I gave her my cell phone so I could bring her to Dunkin Donuts in the morning. . ." Assuming what she meant either way can make a big difference on such a detail and that is why I ask.

hydemi said:
. . .YES once again we see Maura using white lies and small deceptions in this instance--as she gets back to her room having avoided any real discussion about what was upsetting her. . .
Maura seems to have lied quite a bit in this case and it is one thing that contributes to my doubting the story about the 1 am upsetting phone call. Here is a young woman allegedly so terribly upset that she absolutely cannot stop crying and yet when asked to get counseling she quickly and easily pulls it together enough to spin a lie about a nonexistent room mate who will help her. Now I am a guy & not a woman so maybe that makes things different but if I was that upset that I could not stop crying I would just have refused to tell what was wrong if I didn't want it known. It only takes a moment to say "not saying" or "don't want to talk about it" but for me, if I was that upset, it would take more effort than it is worth to try to think up a lie to cover up with. And it isn't necessary to lie when you can just say its a private problem.

I have not yet made the comment that a lie (white or otherwise) is a lie and once someone tells many of them and then disappears it only serves to make it much harder to sort out what was really going on. I hope those young ladies reading this will take it to heart. Telling someone their dress looks good when it doesn't may not seem too bad(hence the name "white lie"), but in this case I see that all these other lies about leaving work for a death in the family,leaving school for the same reason, about nonexistent room mates, about having called AAA when she hadn't, telling her boyfriend "stud" she loved him more but not telling him anything else when she was already preparing/packing to leave at least for a few days and maybe forever, all these made things more difficult for those trying to find out what really happened and if Maura was truly harmed it can easily be argued that Maura's own lies have caused delays in finding her since it helped people to think she just ran away.

When someone lies, they are trying to hide something, or they should or should not be doing something.

I still believe the very fact, that there are more lies to be uncovered, that no one knows about yet. Maura kept secrets and was not forthcoming about what was bothering her. I wonder why she "felt" that she could not confide in her BF or family about what was bothering her. What a person does not do is almost as telling as what they do.

So again, I firmly believe that this is still a "missing person" case, is being treated as such and that LE knows more about the missing person status then they are letting on as in "confidential entity".

If this was being "investigated" as a criminal case, then LE would be "more then happy" to say that.....but again no evidence exists to support the conclusion of a criminal case.

I also believe when a person is "burnt" out, they still know if they return to the previous sitaution at school they will still be in an "overwhelming" situation with the same stresses and schedule.

Nothing would change....she is still a full time student with two part time jobs, clinicals, homework, assignments etc. Long distance romances are difficult to "keep up" and put stresses on any relationship in addition to school.

It is not like if you "suddenly" go back you are not going back to the same and exact situation that you left.

I again firmly believe that Maura felt "trapped" and the only "escape" from her problems is to take off and leave all of the stresses behind.

If you are 21, single, an adult, smart, you feel that you will have no problem living on your own and supporting yourself without "help" from your family.

You may even have friends that no one knows about or knew about that may "respect" what you did to save yourself and offer any help that they can.

Happy people don't run away from their families and then not phone them.
But if the family is the problem, and you see them as "contributing" to your unhappiness, then they are not going to get a call. They are the source, you feel for your unhappiness, especially if you have previously "tested" the waters and the result was what you fully expected.

Has anyone ever considered that when Maura crashed, an items that was loose in the car was projected forward which left the "small" spider break in the front windshield, especially considering the location. After all she did have many items in the car that could be "projected" forward when a car hits a stationary object.

I have a problem in trying to figure out how a steerring wheel and airbag will not prevent a person's head from hitting the windshield especially in the upper left hand corner. Both of those items along with the dash would prevent a person's head from ever reaching the upper left hand corner of the windshield.

A person's neck would have to be long enough to reach over the airbag, steering wheel and dash and make an impact in the upper left hand corner.

If that was possible, then the spider break would be in the middle of the windshield over the airbag, steering wheel and dash. It is not like the windshield is not curved out either and not flush with the steering wheel or dash.

Physically impossible............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member