NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, the article has been edited. Previously, the title of the article stated: "Killer Was Waiting in Apartment "; now, it reads: "Killer was waiting at apartment."

In the the second paragraph of the article, it is reported as follows:

"Carolyn Byington . . . was apparently attacked once she entered her apartment . . .."

Killer was waiting at apartment for 26-year-old woman murdered on her lunch break, sources say

Weasel wording, at its finest. I don't know how the apartments are set up as far as the entrances to each apartment go. Does everyone access his own apartment by his own door? Or, is there a central entry door to each building they must pass through first?

Whatever, most of you seem to think she knew her attacker. Maybe someone she gave a key to previously that she was dating who recently showed up again?

If each unit has its own door to the outside, and there is shrubbery around where someone could hide, he could have waited for her to open her door and then surprised her, forced her into her unit and shut the door. Then muffled screams and "furniture moving" ensued. I agree that the furniture moving was more likely Carolyn battling for her life.

But this scenario is not very probable if it was a stranger. The stranger would have to be lurking around in broad daylight just waiting for someone to prey upon. Highly unlikely. Therefore, I'm going to go with it being someone who knew her and her schedule.

Apparently, the article has been edited. Previously, the title of the article stated: "Killer Was Waiting in Apartment "; now, it reads: "Killer was waiting at apartment."

"Carolyn Byington . . . was apparently attacked once she entered her apartment . . .."

Killer was waiting at apartment for 26-year-old woman murdered on her lunch break, sources say

Weasel wording, at its finest. I don't know how the apartments are set up as far as the entrances to each apartment go. Does everyone access his own apartment by his own door? Or, is there a central entry door to each building they must pass through first?

Whatever, most of you seem to think she knew her attacker. Maybe someone she gave a key to previously that she was dating who recently showed up again?

If each unit has its own door to the outside, and there is shrubbery around where someone could hide, he could have waited for her to open her door and then surprised her, forced her into her unit and shut the door. Then muffled screams and "furniture moving" ensued. I agree that the furniture moving was more likely Carolyn battling for her life.

But this scenario is not very probable if it was a stranger. The stranger would have to be lurking around in broad daylight just waiting for someone to prey upon. Highly unlikely. Therefore, I'm going to go with it being someone who knew her and her schedule.
Hard to say. Probably not a stranger unless it was a delivery person or maintenance. I feel for the most part as well that she probably knew the killer. The difficulty I have picturing that though, is why haven't LE been able to identify this person. If she knew him and was expecting him to be there, wouldn't some evidence exist of that, like text messages or phone calls, for example?

Or if she knew him and he randomly showed up, what would make him aware that she would be home for lunch? This was not her schedule. It was stated previously that she normally did not come home during the day as she did on that particular Monday.

Hard to say. Probably not a stranger unless it was a delivery person or maintenance. I feel for the most part as well that she probably knew the killer. The difficulty I have picturing that though, is why haven't LE been able to identify this person. If she knew him and was expecting him to be there, wouldn't some evidence exist of that, like text messages or phone calls, for example?

Or if she knew him and he randomly showed up, what would make him aware that she would be home for lunch? This was not her schedule. It was stated previously that she normally did not come home during the day as she did on that particular Monday.

What if he called her at her office (land line) and did not call her cell phone? Then, LE would not be able to find that out easily. She may have left the office without telling anyone where she was headed and why. We know how potential suspects are usually handled with kid gloves, initially. It is still early into the investigation.

It takes a little while to go through phone evidence. I remember the case in Alaska recently where Ashley Johnson-Barr was murdered and the evidence of where her body was located was in her phone. LE had her phone but it still took a week or more to find her.

It takes a little while to go through phone evidence. I remember the case in Alaska recently where Ashley Johnson-Barr was murdered and the evidence of where her body was located was in her phone. LE had her phone but it still took a week or more to find her.
I remember that case as well. AJB's phone was found a block or so from the playground where she was last seen I believe.
I suppose in this case I was thinking if police have her cell phone and maybe were able to obtain evidence visibly. If her phone wasn't locked, then messages would be visible as would phone numbers and contacts. I don't recall any mention of her cell phone at all though, as a matter of fact.
Just thinking fo possibilities. And the fact that LE hasn't mentioned any suspects, yet has asked for help from the public, well I don't know what to make of that. Either they know who it is and ask asking for as much info as possible to back it up..or they have no one in mind. All jmo

I remember that case as well. AJB's phone was found a block or so from the playground where she was last seen I believe.
I suppose in this case I was thinking if police have her cell phone and maybe were able to obtain evidence visibly. If her phone wasn't locked, then messages would be visible as would phone numbers and contacts. I don't recall any mention of her cell phone at all though, as a matter of fact.
Just thinking fo possibilities. And the fact that LE hasn't mentioned any suspects, yet has asked for help from the public, well I don't know what to make of that. Either they know who it is and ask asking for as much info as possible to back it up..or they have no one in mind. All jmo

They had her phone immediately because the suspect had it with him, in the Ashley Johnson-Barr case. It still took time. I'm thinking there will be digital evidence in this case as well.

I feel so sad for the family and friends of this young woman with such a bright future! Once again evil has taken away a bright light. But this case seems very solvable at first glance. Possible eyewitnesses, cameras, phone evidence, forensic evidence in and around her apartment. Whoever this sick individual is I'm confident he will be caught and won't be able to do it again.

BTW I'm leaning toward the perpetrator being someone she knew. There could be several scenerios including a neighbor who had been watching her and she wasn't threatened by. Perhaps she came home because she just forgot something and he happened to see her. Possibly a crime without much planning. MOO

Isn't it funny how just the word "in" or "at" apartment can give an entirely different connotation in a media article?

Now that I think about it, it was kind of weasel wording with coming home for lunch too. I think they said something like she did not regularly do so, not that she never did so (paraphrasing).

Going with a known person versus a stranger scenario is just going with the likelihood from the little we know. A broad daylight attack by a stranger seems really brazen and risky. It sounds likely there were neighbors home downstairs (hearing furniture move) which I too think is more likely an assault they were hearing.

I am going to guess there is a main entry door and apartments are entered from the interior, each having a door in the hallway. My reason for this is it was said she was a second floor apartment so this is what I feel it has to be. If it were like a two story townhouse, one may have their own entry from the outside but not likely if she is second floor only. Since the buildings do not look like any high rise building, I wonder if there was an elevator or only stairwells?

If I had to guess she has a one bedroom and all have hall entries. I have ruled out the balcony/deck as entry as they would never climb up there in broad daylight with people out and about in the complex most likely.

It does look like a case where they should easily have a suspect and a quick arrest and yet that does not appear to be the case so far.

Just going off of the fact it was Monday leaves me thinking her weekend plays into this.

In one article there were packages found left at her apartment I believe, I thought of a delivery person and her going home to take delivery of something but again, why would a stranger risk their job and freedom in broad daylight at an apartment complex...?

If the arguing heard is true, it sounds more personal.

Could this even be some friend, some distant cousin, etc. she helped out or who she let stay there who she ran into that weekend, who crashed on her couch...? Or as is more common a current or former relationship of course or someone she had more recently met.

The other possibility is someone in the complex but again it seems unlikely. I mean maintenance could call her home and would have a key and her number, or management, yet again, broad daylight and so easily caught most likely?

I guess she could have hung around the pool that weekend and met someone from the complex. On leaving her apartment, there would be nothing odd about that person being seen out and about at the complex if they lived there.

More likely though, is someone in her personal life whether friend or relationship or ex.

We have no idea either of the cause of death. I doubt it was gunshot or LE would have likely been called by someone in the building. Physical assault or strangulation, I hate saying that or speculating but it is what seems likely. If we are to assume he left in broad daylight and was not noticed, I would rule out something like stabbing just because he is more likely to have blood on him.

An oddity here to me is if someone saw her come home, and then someone heard what they thought was furniture being moved (sounds like a downstairs neighbor) and muted screams and then things went silent, did they not wonder when it went silent and no one saw her leave? Yet it was not until a coworker called that evening that she was found. Who knows I guess. It could be various people/neighbors with the different statements and I guess no one wants to interfere and perhaps the neighbor left in the midst of what they thought they were hearing.

LE has made it pretty clear they will make no announcements on this case. I wonder that we will see any more information until an arrest and even then, will they announce it?

One last thought is I wonder if cash, credit cards or bank cards are missing. This could still relate to someone known or who she allowed in. She was attractive, had a good job and probably a very decent income; she was recently promoted.

Just talking out loud/speculation.

All jmo.

Apologies for length :)

One last thought is I wonder if cash, credit cards or bank cards are missing. This could still relate to someone known or who she allowed in. She was attractive, had a good job and probably a very decent income; she was recently promoted.

Just talking out loud/speculation.

All jmo.

Apologies for length :)

^^ Post Snipped By Me

I don't think those items are missing. Hoping this includes her cell phone as well:

Police officers later found the lifeless 26-year-old with her personal belongings, and her apartment with no forced entry, the sources said.

^^ Post Snipped By Me

I don't think those items are missing. Hoping this includes her cell phone as well:

Police officers later found the lifeless 26-year-old with her personal belongings, and her apartment with no forced entry, the sources said.

Thank you Epiphany. I missed that part. I find it interesting though, not sure I have ever seen something mentioned like that, "with her personal belongings". I hope that means as you say cell phone. Probably also apartment keys, vehicle keys, wallet and purse most likely.

May have been dating/involved with someone who lives in her apartment complex.

I can't imagine what ruse may have been used to lure her back to her apartment during her lunch break! Perp would not want to bump into residents returning home from work so it must have been a whopper of a reason he gave that she needed to return home pronto.

What could not wait until her workday ended? Must be a very controlling person. I'm hoping for that one very close girlfriend she confided in before she left the office

I don’t think my work would’ve called the police if I didn’t show up after lunch. I think they would’ve tried to me the next day and then raised an alarm...unless I had said there was something wrong at home when I left for lunch.

I don’t think my work would’ve called the police if I didn’t show up after lunch. I think they would’ve tried to me the next day and then raised an alarm...unless I had said there was something wrong at home when I left for lunch.

Perhaps it depends on each person's habits. If it was already odd that Carolyn left for lunch. Then it would be super odd that she didn't return without a phone call. Maybe there's a Websleuths member at her work and their gut told them something was wrong. I'm very glad they did call the same day and I wish the neighbors would have called when they heard the screaming. MOO

As someone said I think yesterday, I sure would not want to be someone living in that complex right now. Since nothing has been shared, how would you feel safe? It could be someone in management with a key, it could be a resident, it could be personal to the victim or it could be a stranger that targeted someone in their complex. I can't even imagine.

New Details Emerge In Plainsboro Woman's Murder

Not much different in this article but it does say the screams were heard around 1 p.m. which I don't remember hearing before. It says she was rarely seen except for going to and from work. It sounds as if the little information there is comes from more than one neighbor.

I just realized yesterday was a week. Maybe they do not have anyone on their radar. I thought all things considered this would not take long nor be a difficult one to solve.

Jmo.

I agree -- which goes back to my comment earlier in the thread that the coworkers were on high alert for some reason. Health problem, knowledge of an abusive situation or knowledge of where she was going? Even if it was out of someone's normal routine to leave for lunch and not return, that seems like a quick jump to call the police. I assume they also called her cell phone multiple times, texted her, etc? Tried her emergency contact?

Once at work fairly recently, a pregnant colleague wasn't feeling well and went to urgent care. She was gone way longer than anticipated and we couldn't get a hold of her, so we went to HR and got in contact with her emergency contact (her husband). Turns out her phone died and it just took longer than she thought to get out of there, and she was fine, but that's the sort of thing I think of when someone calls the cops for a wellness check. Many other avenues were probably pursued first.

New Details Emerge In Plainsboro Woman's Murder

Not much different in this article but it does say the screams were heard around 1 p.m. which I don't remember hearing before. It says she was rarely seen except for going to and from work. It sounds as if the little information there is comes from more than one neighbor.

Actually I quoted that in my OP:
"Byington lived at the Hunters Glen apartment complex off Plainsboro Road. Neighbors tell News 12 New Jersey that they saw her come home from work for lunch Monday afternoon. They say that they heard screams coming from her apartment around 1 p.m. It was unclear if anyone called the police."

Unfortunately this case is like the vast majority of crime reported in the media today--reporters quote the police and do virtually no investigation beyond that. For example Carolyn had parents and a younger sister. Has anyone seen an interview with them? Likewise no interviews with co-workers except for someone who seemed to be a boss or PR person who said the usual cliches along the lines that she was a great person, will be missed, everyone shocked... And likewise no interviews with friends.

Last edited:
Actually I quoted that in my OP:
"Byington lived at the Hunters Glen apartment complex off Plainsboro Road. Neighbors tell News 12 New Jersey that they saw her come home from work for lunch Monday afternoon. They say that they heard screams coming from her apartment around 1 p.m. It was unclear if anyone called the police."

Unfortunately this case is like the vast majority of crime reported in the media today--reporters quote the police and do virtually no investigation beyond that. For example Carolyn had parents and a younger sister. Has anyone seen an interview with them? Likewise no interviews with co-workers except for someone who seemed to be a boss or PR person who said the usual cliches along the lines that she was a great person, will be missed, everyone shocked... And likewise no interviews with friends.

Thank you--I must have reached that point where too many details from too many cases are stuffed in my head lol, because I did not remember the 1:00 part.

I so agree with you on lack of investigative reporting today--I notice it all of the time in each and every case.

Perhaps it depends on each person's habits. If it was already odd that Carolyn left for lunch. Then it would be super odd that she didn't return without a phone call. Maybe there's a Websleuths member at her work and their gut told them something was wrong. I'm very glad they did call the same day and I wish the neighbors would have called when they heard the screaming. MOO

I wish the neighbors had, too, but taking their side for a moment.... I’ve seen so many articles over the years shaming people for calling 911 unnecessarily.... Visualize the potential mockery if you call and it turns out to be something on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beffers101