GUILTY NJ - Kara Alongi, 16, charged in abduction hoax, 30 Sept 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Unless that town has a special,(very expensive) , system to trace wireless 911 calls, the process of call in the wireless provider, getting the right person who can authorize release of personal info, confirming name and address, would waste a lot of time.

If she was hiding and keeping quiet, the quickest way to get the word out was twitter. Kids who tweet a lot know what is going on with everyone because they tweet every little thing. Friends get a message on their phone every time you tweet if they want.

I'll bet she tweets a lot. If so, it was the natural way for Kara to silently scream for help, knowing that her friends would quickly respond.

I wonder if she tweeted about her family leaving for the brother's game? If she has any pictures of her family on Twitter or facebook, it would be easy to see what team the brother plays for and find out when they play. Maybe someone knew that her parents always showed up at the games without her and wanted to catch her home alone. Eww...like a creepy groundskeeper or referee or just some dude who hangs out watching kids at the ballpark.

I don't believe she would have left without her phone if this was a prank. The friend said the phone was still at home, and don't you know that if she had really done something this stupid any parent with a lick of sense would take the phone away along with twitter and facebook. That would put a serious kink in her social life and I don't believe she would risk it.

I feel like the public being able to read the Twitter page of a victim is a double-edge sword. On the one side, they can relate to the victim and see them as a real person. But if the victim tweets anything that could be considered offensive, mean, or, god forbid, of a sexual nature, some people no longer care. I see so many tweets saying that Kara seemed like “not a nice person” and it not only disturbs me that people stop feeling sympathy for a crime victim because of a few tweets, but that judgments about a victim are now made that soon after a case breaks.

I feel like the public being able to read the Twitter page of a victim is a double-edge sword. On the one side, they can relate to the victim and see them as a real person. But if the victim tweets anything that could be considered offensive, mean, or, god forbid, of a sexual nature, some people no longer care. I see so many tweets saying that Kara seemed like “not a nice person” and it not only disturbs me that people stop feeling sympathy for a crime victim because of a few tweets, but that judgments about a victim are now made that soon after a case breaks.

I agree with you about Twitter. It is a mixed blessing when trying to learn about a victim by reading their Twitter page.

I don't believe there's an amber alert. They have no vehicle description or anything, but there is a missing person alert. Or there was, now the police are saying she is not in physical danger, I don't get it. Unless they think she ran away or something. Also Clark is a sleepy town....not a lot happens there. I don't know if they know what they're doing.(LE, that is.)

But Clark isn't that far from NYC.

I think back to the Ivy Merck case (although she was 24 when she left town of her own free will), she ended up in Miami - and had been robbed of her computer, money, etc.

The most disturbing thing thus far would be a Facebook page created 2 or 3 hours ago called RIP Kara Alongi. There is a small group of people who seem to be trying very hard to discredit her and even go as far as to photoshop a fake tweet of Kara saying she was just kidding. These are the people the police need to talk to.

The most disturbing thing thus far would be a Facebook page created 2 or 3 hours ago called RIP Kara Alongi. There is a small group of people who seem to be trying very hard to discredit her and even go as far as to photoshop a fake tweet of Kara saying she was just kidding. These are the people the police need to talk to.

I've seen that FB page, as well as tweets about Kara. It's sad that the anonymity of Twitter and FB allows people to say things that they probably wouldn't say in "real life".

But it does look like Kara has some really good friends, too, because I've seen their Twitter pages and it seems they are genuinely worried about her.

I've seen that FB page, as well as tweets about Kara. It's sad that the anonymity of Twitter and FB allows people to say things that they probably wouldn't say in "real life".

But it does look like Kara has some really good friends, too, because I've seen their Twitter pages and it seems they are genuinely worried about her.

I agree. That is why this Facebook page disturbs me. Why go to such lengths unless you are trying to hide something or divert attention?!

I've been checking for updates and so far have seen nothing new about Kara.

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2012/10/clark_police_say_search_still.html

Sgt. Vincent Concina said this morning that the 16-year-old Clark resident is "still listed as missing" and that there were no developments in the overnight search efforts.

If Kara is still missing, and her family has not heard from her, why does LE insist she is not in danger?

I wonder if they are thinking it is a prank and she's holed up at a friend's house? I'm surprised there hasn't been a statement or plea for help from her parents, although it's early days and possible LE are keeping the journalists (vultures) at bay for a bit longer.

I still think it's odd and the typo does lend it some authenticity.

I wonder if they are thinking it is a prank and she's holed up at a friend's house? I'm surprised there hasn't been a statement or plea for help from her parents, although it's early days and possible LE are keeping the journalists (vultures) at bay for a bit longer.

I still think it's odd and the typo does lend it some authenticity.

I think LE is hoping Kara will come back home on her own. The comment about her not being in danger makes it pretty clear they do not think she was abducted from her house, IMO.

If she doesn't come home today, I would expect either LE or the family to make some type of statement.

ETA: The fact that she hasn't come back yet worries me. As you pointed out, the typo does lend some authenticity to her Twitter message.

But cops are taking her disappearance seriously. Canine units were brought in to aid in the search, and Clark Police Chief Alan Scherb urged her to get in touch with authorities as soon as possible.
"Obviously, our concern is for your safety," he said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/nj-teen-missing-mysterious-tweet-house-article-1.1171869#ixzz2837vx3s8

As an aside, there are some rather unpleasant people out there tweeting about her. They should bear in mind Kara is still missing and both her parents and LE will be continually checking Twitter and other social networks. It won't be difficult to track down some of the worst offenders.

I can't tell if someone has hacked into her twitter or this is her playing around, but there's lots of screen grabs of her account saying she was faking it with the #swag. ugh.

It has been pointed out that when she sent the tweet asking for someone to call 911 she had made 966 tweets, so when she tweeted the 'it's a joke' tweet, it should have taken her to 967 tweets, but that didn't change, adding to the evidence it was a photoshop.

There are some sick people out there who think nothing of wasting the police's time. I jolly well hope they get what they are due. There have been an increasing number of arrests and prosecutions of people who think they are anonymous just because their face can't be seen when they type out their abusive trash.

Edit: Sorry, just realised I have been on my social network soap box. I am now getting down and will put it back in the cupboard :)

They are just trolls. I have seen some really bad things said about victims.

As for arrests of these people, I've only seen it happen in the UK.

They are just trolls. I have seen some really bad things said about victims.

As for arrests of these people, I've only seen it happen in the UK.

All the nasty responses just lend to the fact that good character is important.

In their defense, these tweeters are merely kids. Immature kids who have good reason to hate this beautiful girl and, given her past behavior, they think this is all a joke. We can only hope that, if it is indeed a real kidnapping, they will feel some remorse.

Praying she is found today in need of a good spanking. MOO

They just showed her story on the Today Show. They had a reporter reporting live from in front of the house

So it's getting national attention now, which is good

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kfran
Back