NJ - Multiple Deaths in Mansion Fire, Monmouth County, Colts Neck, 20 Nov 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The motive could be that Keith was looking to close up shop and move in a different direction. A direction that doesn’t allow for Paul to mooch off Keith’s hard work and success. Since it seems as though Keith was really the brains and hard work of the businesses, what was Paul going to do now? I’m sure jealousy could have exacerbated things for Paul. Keith had a beautiful wife, great house, may have made good investments (seems likely to me), etc.

Keith being found outside leads me to believe their was a confrontation. Once Paul shot and killed Keith, he may have just kept going on a rage and figured he had to kill the family because they could be witnesses. But ugh, him stabbing the kids.. why??? Stabbing seems like such a personal act of rage. I don’t like thinking about how the innocent kids being stabbed to death by their uncle because it literally gives me a pit in my stomach wondering what went on in that house after Keith was shot. Smh.

On some threads it’s clear that the killer is an “injustice collector.” I suspect that PC may well fit this description from the link:

Former FBI profiler Mary Ellen O'Toole, Ph.D., defines an injustice collector as someone who "nurses resentment over real or perceived injustices, and no matter how much time has passed ... will never forget or forgive those wrongs or the people he/she believes are responsible."

O'Toole coined and defined the phrase "injustice collector" in her 2000 FBI threat-assessment study after the 1999 Columbine High School massacre.

Injustice collectors obsessively keep track of every perceived wrong committed against them, maintaining enormous caches of grievances that go back years or decades. Many of those wrongs never actually happened. The ones that did are almost invariably trivial.

Getting to Know the Injustice Collectors

They got the guy. I'm sure he'll be convicted.

I'm extremely interested in motive but not even remotely interested in defending that interest on a crime discussion board. Tedious to have to explain why motive is interesting.

Ciao.
I completely get why motive is an important component in sleuthing , but in the Watts case “motive” included things like “SW got her nails done,” “SW was too bossy,” “SW made CW do all the housework.”

(I know I mentioned a few posts back that I’d lose it if this goes the same way.- but this was more in if the wife throws the victims under the bus a la Mrs W)

I do want to know the why! What made Paul snap? But I want it with true ownership of it.

For want of an analogy: I want a “I’m sorry I hurt you.” Not a “I’m sorry you feel that way” kind of thing. KWIM?

I completely get why motive is an important component in sleuthing , but in the Watts case “motive” included things like “SW got her nails done,” “SW was too bossy,” “SW made CW do all the housework.”

(I know I mentioned a few posts back that I’d lose it if this goes the same way.- but this was more in if the wife throws the victims under the bus a la Mrs W)

I do want to know the why! What made Paul snap? But I want it with true ownership of it.

For want of an analogy: I want a “I’m sorry I hurt you.” Not a “I’m sorry you feel that way” kind of thing. KWIM?

Paul would have to spill his guts in order for the real motive to be confirmed. I don’t see him doing that any time soon. I think LE will find enough evidence of a motive, but unless Paul cops to it, which I doubt he will, the motive may never be “confirmed”. If that makes sense lol

IMO motive in the narrow sense is interesting but there’s a bigger question of how PC could do something like this to a brother he’d shared a life with, not to mention his SIL and two innocent little children that you know - in some part of his heart, at some point in time - he loved. AFAIK such a break with all moorings of morality, decency and humanity usually coincides with drug addiction.

As to KC being killed a) first and b) outside .... whoa. Apparently he was found in a hooded sweatshirt with a bullet hole in the back of the hood, so I guess maybe PC lured him outside somehow ? Seems it was around 5am - I can imagine KC throwing on a hoodie to go investigate some noise or disturbance on his property. I wonder if he ever even saw his deranged brother PC, or if he was just shot from behind without ever seeing it coming.

And then his body laid outside for 7+ hours? That’s crazy. Apparently homes around there are far apart.... but still! KC lies shot to death on front lawn, a fire smoldering in the house behind home, and no one notices any of this for 7+ hours? Bizarre.

I want to know what the wife knows, as it was said by the media and press she left w him shortly after the fire.
I am 100% certain she heard every gripe he ever had, including how his brother had become a success and he had not.
I also want to know where they 'drove away' to.
A most heinous crime. Where are the attempted murder charges for setting his home on fire w his family inside?

I’ve never heard the term injustice collector used outside of WS but I see it used here so often lol. Not criticizing, just making an observation :)

True that. And it’s usually @HMSHood who brings it up on various threads, which is where I first learned about injustice (or wound) collectors. But I have heard it on news analyses of mass shooters a number of times since then. Your post above talking about Paul perhaps being jealous made me think of it. :) Such rage bursting forth may have simmered for a long time if he was collecting feelings of injustice toward his brother and family. If Keith was planning to change careers and move, that could have been the final “injustice.” But I also suspect financial misconduct that had been or was about to be discovered was in the mix. What a tragic mess.

It wouldn't surprise me if PC was abusing perscription drugs, starting from his injuries from a previous car accident. Maybe he wasn't showing up for work and doing his job like he used to? Maybe keith had seen enough and just wanted out of the partnership? I think the motive is money, but i think its the loss of money bc of his brother wanting out was maybe what set PC off? maybe i'm way off here, but just from what few details i have gathered
My cousin had severe head injuries in an accident, his demeanor completely changed.
Yes, I'm also thinking that having life-changing injuries - and I didn't hear what they were just that he had them - likely added to this. Maybe it's messed up, but I do have a certain amount of sympathy for people who commit crimes when they're out of their mind. Not saying that PC was - just that he very well could have been and being differently-abled and potentially on meds certainly wouldn't help. It's so, so awful for everyone. Of course it's so awful for the people who were killed - but also the many, many, Many people who are alive and are just devastated. Maybe there were parents, and there was his other brother. A family can't recover from something like this; they will Always be 'the family related to the people who were killed' - for generations to come. His children, his 2 daughters - oh goooddddd.

Hey, I’ll back off. I may have gone too far in explaining why I feel so strongly. You don’t have to defend being interested in motive. Most of us are, in general. In some cases (like the Watts case) it can be a slippery slope. I will now wait and see where the thread heads before opining again. :)
Aaaaggggghhh! I didn't mean to upset anyone or defend KC's actions or make excuses for him. I agree with other posters though that as humans we want to understand motive. Sorry!:oops:

PC may have felt KC was abandoning him after 30 years in business together. And as other posters have mentioned his car accident alone or perhaps even ongoing pain, physical impairment, and/or addiction to painkillers. Add some mid-life crisis to the mix, and that PC had temporarily moved out of his house (usually marital troubles), and PC is a man falling apart, experiencing powerlessness. Whatever the business financial issues, PC was enraged with with KC.

I don't think the murders were cold-blooded but rather hot-blooded, poorly or not planned, and explosive rage with inadequate attempts to coverup afterwards with the fires.

Paul would have to spill his guts in order for the real motive to be confirmed. I don’t see him doing that any time soon. I think LE will find enough evidence of a motive, but unless Paul cops to it, which I doubt he will, the motive may never be “confirmed”. If that makes sense lol
Regardless, his life is over. In jail, out of jail, he has ruined his life completely.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/29/prose...dly-killed-family-in-colts-neck-mansion-fire/

Using his technical expertise, Paul wired up his home with an arsenal of surveillance equipment.

“His house is loaded with surveillance cameras,” a neighbor told The Post last week. “He also has infrared on both floors, scanning the whole house. He’s nuts with technology, everything over the top.”

Investigators said Thursday they have a “great deal” of evidence from both crime scenes, but declined to say whether or not Paul’s own camera gear helped to do him in.

Aaaaggggghhh! I didn't mean to upset anyone or defend KC's actions or make excuses for him. I agree with other posters though that as humans we want to understand motive. Sorry!:oops:

PC may have felt KC was abandoning him after 30 years in business together. And as other posters have mentioned his car accident alone or perhaps even ongoing pain, physical impairment, and/or addiction to painkillers. Add some mid-life crisis to the mix, and that PC had temporarily moved out of his house (usually marital troubles), and PC is a man falling apart, experiencing powerlessness. Whatever the business financial issues, PC was enraged with with KC.

I don't think the murders were cold-blooded but rather hot-blooded, poorly or not planned, and explosive rage with inadequate attempts to coverup afterwards with the fires.

Sandy, I didn’t have a problem with you mentioning Det. Kenda and motives. Your post was not what I was initially referring to. I’m sorry that I came on so strong about people trying to “understand” this guy in my initial stand-alone post, and then quoted you when I doubled down in my reply. I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut. The poor-put-upon Chris Watts and his “bossy” murdered wife stuff has taken a toll. Life isn’t always easy or fair, but people who feel entitled like CW and PC will probably do horrible things eventually no matter what IMO.

Carry on. :)

Friday, Nov. 30th:
*Detention Hearing (@ 9am ET) – NJ – Keith Martin Caneiro (50), his wife Jennifer Karidis Caneiro (45) & 2 children Jesse (11) & Sophia (8) (Nov. 20, 2018, Colt’s Neck; died prior to fire @ home) – *Paul Jay Caneiro (51) bro – arrested & charged (11/20/18) with 2nd degree aggravated arson (in connection to fire set @ his Ocean Township home on the same day before fire in Colt’s Neck). Charged (11/29/18) with 4 counts of murder, with possession of a firearm & possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose. No bail set.
11/28/18: Detention hearing designed to determine whether Caneiro will remain in jail without bail to await trial. Defense receives new evidence asks to delay detention hearing until Friday, 11/30.
11/29/18: charged with four counts of murder, with possession of a firearm & possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose.

IMO motive in the narrow sense is interesting but there’s a bigger question of how PC could do something like this to a brother he’d shared a life with, not to mention his SIL and two innocent little children that you know - in some part of his heart, at some point in time - he loved. AFAIK such a break with all moorings of morality, decency and humanity usually coincides with drug addiction.

As to KC being killed a) first and b) outside .... whoa. Apparently he was found in a hooded sweatshirt with a bullet hole in the back of the hood, so I guess maybe PC lured him outside somehow ? Seems it was around 5am - I can imagine KC throwing on a hoodie to go investigate some noise or disturbance on his property. I wonder if he ever even saw his deranged brother PC, or if he was just shot from behind without ever seeing it coming.

And then his body laid outside for 7+ hours? That’s crazy. Apparently homes around there are far apart.... but still! KC lies shot to death on front lawn, a fire smoldering in the house behind home, and no one notices any of this for 7+ hours? Bizarre.
It was a secluded property and he wanted privacy, no doubt. Sometimes it’s good to have neighbors.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbieJ
Back