NJ - Multiple Deaths in Mansion Fire, Monmouth County, Colts Neck, 20 Nov 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is it wrong to hope the parents are no longer living? No parents should have to experience this.

(Hugs, Leo!!!)

It’s not wrong to wish to spare the parents this horror. Of course, the trouble is, I believe they are living. I think their father has been named executor in place of Paul IIRC. Paul clearly didn’t care what he put them through. I can’t imagine how they feel. They would probably give their lives if they could have prevented this. :(

It’s not wrong to wish to spare the parents this horror. Of course, the trouble is, I believe they are living. I think their father has been named executor in place of Paul IIRC. Paul clearly didn’t care what he put them through. I can’t imagine how they feel. They would probably give their lives if they could have prevented this. :(
This just breaks my heart!

A Brother's Betrayal? How a Torched N.J. Mansion Led Police to a Slain Family and a Shocking Arrest

Dec 20, 2018

Two days before Thanksgiving, flames tore through the $1.8 million New Jersey mansion where tech entrepreneur Keith Caneiro and his wife raised their children.

Neighbor Boris Volshteyn first reported the fire, calling 911 on the afternoon of Nov. 20, after seeing smoke billowing from the basement. “Oh my God,” exclaimed Volshteyn, as he made his way towards the front yard, “there’s blood here!”

The blood was Keith’s: the 50-year-old had been shot multiple times just feet from his front door. Inside the Colts Neck home, investigators found the charred remains of his wife, Jennifer, 45, and their two kids, 8-year-old Sophia and Jesse, who’d only turned 11 the week before.
[...]
The 51-year-old Paul, investigators allege, fatally shot Keith before shooting and stabbing Jennifer and also stabbing his niece and nephew. He then allegedly set a slow-burning fire in the basement of his brother’s home.
[...]
Gramiccioni says evidence collected in the investigation allegedly suggests Paul’s motive was “financial in nature.”

Wednesday, January 30th:
*Pre-Indictment Hearing (@ 9am ET) – NJ – Keith Martin Caneiro (50), his wife Jennifer Karidis Caneiro (45) & 2 children Jesse (11) & Sophia (8) (Nov. 20, 2018, Colt’s Neck; died prior to fire @ home) – *Paul Jay Caneiro (51) (bro) arrested & charged (11/20/18) with 2nd degree aggravated arson (in connection to fire set @ his Ocean Township home on the same day before fire in Colt’s Neck). Charged (11/29/18) with 4 counts of murder, with possession of a firearm & possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
11/28/18: Detention hearing designed to determine whether Caneiro will remain in jail without bail to await trial. Defense receives new evidence asks to delay detention hearing until Friday, 11/30.
11/29/18 Update: charged with four counts of murder, with possession of a firearm & possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose.
11/30/18: Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Next Pre-Indictment hearing on 1/30.

Colts Neck murders: Case against Paul Caneiro headed to grand jury

The murder case against Paul J. Caneiro, the man accused of brutally killing his brother, sister-in-law and their two young children in Colts Neck, is headed to a grand jury.

Caneiro’s defense attorneys canceled a pre-indictment conference scheduled for Wednesday, where prosecutors could have offered Caneiro a plea deal to resolve the case. The move means the case will go before a grand jury, which will decide if there is probable cause to indict Caneiro in the high-profile slayings.

Christopher Swendeman, a spokesman for the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office, said Caneiro’s defense attorneys opted to waive Wednesday’s hearing.

The decision was not unexpected. Cases involving major crimes like murder are rarely resolved in the pre-indictment phase.

Colts Neck murders: Case against Paul Caneiro headed to grand jury

The charges against quadruple-homicide-suspect Paul J. Caneiro, 51, of Ocean, have doubled.

Caneiro was originally facing eight felony counts - two of aggravated arson, four of murder and two weapons crimes.

The prosecutor's office announced Monday that a grand jury had returned a 16-count indictment against Paul Caneiro. The charges he is facing now are:

• Murder (four counts)
  • Felony murder (two counts)
  • Aggravated arson (two counts)
  • Possession of a firearm for an unlawful purpose
  • Possession of a knife for an unlawful purpose
  • Unlawful possession of a firearm
  • Unlawful possession of a knife
  • Theft
  • Misapplication of entrusted property
  • Hindering apprehension (two counts)
Colts Neck murders: Charges have doubled against Paul Caneiro

Bullets, money trouble and a bloody glove: Affidavit lays out Colts Neck quadruple killing

FREEHOLD - Keith Caneiro was planning to cut his brother Paul out of their joint business ventures before authorities say Paul killed Keith and his entire family, according to an affidavit of probable cause against Paul. Investigators also found a bloody glove and clothing in Paul Caneiro's basement, according to the affidavit.

Longer than three months after the gruesome killings of an entire Colts Neck family, authorities have finally released the full text of a document charging the victims' relative with their murders.

Keith Caneiro sent an email "to two business associates indicating that there was money missing from the business and that he, (Keith), would be discontinuing payment" to Paul's wife until the money was found, according to the affidavit.

Keith was also planning on selling off one of his and Paul's joint businesses, and had told a relative "that he was frustrated with Paul and the amount of money Paul spent from their business accounts," according to the affidavit.

Keith forwarded that email to a relative the night before he was found dead with his family. according to the affidavit.

Caneiro Affidavit

Keith Caneiro owned 90 percent of Square One, a web development company, and Paul the other 10 percent, according to the affidavit. They owned equal shares in EcoStar Pest Management, which shared offices with Square One in Asbury Park.

An office manager told investigators that Paul Caneiro was disabled after a car crash, and that his salary "was paid to his wife," according to the affidavit. "The office manager reported that in the past year, Keith has told her to stop payment to (Paul's) wife because of arguments with Paul over money."

Superior Court Assignment Judge Lisa P. Thornton ordered the records sealed Dec. 3, 2018, citing potential harm to the investigation into the horrific killings of Keith and Jennifer Caneiro, 50 and 45, and their children, 11-year-old Jesse and 8-year-old Sophia.

The full affidavit catalogs a list of evidence a state trooper and his K-9 partner found in Paul Caneiro's home, such as "a plastic container containing clothing, including jeans and a latex glove, with red stains consistent with blood," it read.

Investigators also found an unspent 9 mm round in the clothing, which was "consistent" with shell casings they found at Keith's home, according to the affidavit.

Another Colts Neck resident called 9-1-1 to report "four to five loud 'cracks' consistent with gunshots followed by one single gunshot," according to the affidavit.

"Because the parties established good cause that disclosure, at this juncture, would harm the investigation and prosecution of defendant and threaten the integrity of the proceedings and defendant's right to a fair trial, the motion is granted in part," Thornton wrote in the order to seal.

Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher Gramiccioni said the killings were tied to the family's finances.

Authorities believe Paul Caneiro shot Keith to death outside Keith's Colts Neck Home, then went inside and shot and stabbed Jennifer, stabbed the children and set a fire in the basement to cover his tracks.

Paul Caneiro's attorneys, Mitchell Ansell and Robert Honecker, have said their client maintains his innocence, that he loved his brother and had no early reason to have killed Keith Caneiro and Keith's family. Honecker said Monday morning that there would be a formal response to the updates Monday afternoon.

One news outlet - the Wall Street Journal - may have received a copy of the then-missing records by requesting them from Colts Neck Municipal Court, where the charges originated, rather than Monmouth County Superior Court, where they will be adjudicated, according to Thornton's December motion. Those records were not in the superior court's possession at the times when other outlets requested them, and therefore would not have been released, according to the motion.

"Because the Asbury Park Press expressed interest in obtaining the Affidavit of Probable Cause after hours on Friday evening, this court provided the newspaper with notice of this application and a right to be heard," the motion read. "They declined to participate."

Caneiro Affidavit

Bullets, money trouble and a bloody glove: Affidavit lays out Colts Neck quadruple killing

Last edited:
2/25/19

Paul Caneiro was a minority owner in the Asbury Park-based technology consulting business Square One, but his brother, Keith, was frustrated with the amount of money Paul was spending from their business accounts, the affidavit said. It said Keith, who had a 90 percent stake in the company, told business associates he planned to cut payments made to Paul’s wife, who was collecting money on her husband’s behalf after he was injured in a car wreck and deemed disabled.

Keith Caneiro also wanted those payments to stop flowing until he found the source of money that had gone missing, he told the two business associates in an email, according to the complaint. Keith forwarded that email to another brother on Nov. 19, the night before he was found dead outside his Colts Neck mansion, according to the complaint.
Colts Neck massacre: Slain brother planned to cut ties with killer over missing money, cops say

ETA: This is a heart wrenching account of what appears to be PC's pure greed. :(

I'm speculating that PC was also skirting the law claiming disability income, while his wife became a straw employee collecting his salary.

I'm reminded of the disgusting gfundme page immediately put up by/for PC's daughters for their own needs shortly after the massacre of their Uncle & his beautiful family. Hope the investigation does not stop with PC....every stone needs to be turned here.:eek:

MOO

Can anyone get into Monmouth County court site to see when his next court date might be? TIA! :)

@bears10 - can you? ;)

I find NJ online court for non-residents very disorganized.

I do have access to NJ Superior court cases -- but only for convictions (in my mind that means verdict/closed cases yet NJ markets the service as "active case search")... NOT!

Sorry I can't help here @Niner.

I find NJ online court for non-residents very disorganized.

I do have access to NJ Superior court cases -- but only for convictions (in my mind that means verdict/closed cases yet NJ markets the service as "active case search")... NOT!

Sorry I can't help here @Niner.

Yes PROMIS has been very useful for me in the past, but I was always searching for people who were already convicted. I didn’t realize until today that you can only access cases where the person has been convicted and sentenced. I was a NJ resident up until a few years ago.

Another link.
A grand jury in Monmouth County, New Jersey, returned an indictment that charges 51-year-old Paul Caneiro of Ocean Township with four counts of first-degree murder and other offenses in the November deaths of his brother, Keith, his sister-in-law, Jennifer, 11-year-old nephew, Jesse, and 8-year-old niece, Sophia.

Man indicted in quadruple killing was about to be cut off from the family business

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hereforthechildren
Back