NJ - Multiple Deaths in Mansion Fire, Monmouth County, Colts Neck, 20 Nov 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
When these murders originally happened, one thing I noticed was that PC’s children were much older, in their twenties. Keith’s children were 11 and 9.

Point being is Keith had a long time to build a business and save money without the expense of children.

My impression is Keith was the star while brother Paul tagged along on his tailcoats. Keith being the worker-bee and Paul being the taker.

After the car accident, and as time passed, depression and reality set in for Paul that he had achieved as much as he could.

Paul also realized that his income depended on Keith. Paul blamed Keith’s wife and the children for needing money that Paul felt belonged to him. He ignored the percentages of the businesses that he owned and the share he was entitled to.

Jealousy got the best of him. He could not stand the success his brother Keith had achieved. Now with a Masters Degree, Keith would climb the ladder of success even higher.

My opinions only.

The indictment alleges for the first time that Paul Caneiro stole from Keith and/or Keith's wife and children. Paul Caneiro was charged with theft of movable property and misapplication of entrusted property for allegedly stealing roughly $75,000 between January 2017 and November 19. 2018, the day before the murder, according to the indictment.

Christopher Swendeman, a spokesman for the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office, said the money was not taken from Keith Caneiro's home, but declined further comment on the theft charges.

The hindering apprehension charges stem from Paul Caneiro's alleged efforts to conceal or destroy evidence against him in the case, according to the document.

Prosecutor Christopher Gramiccioni said in November that the extermination of Keith Caneiro's family was "financial in nature," related to the brothers' joint businesses based in Asbury Park.

A police document in the case, unsealed Monday, alleged that Keith Caneiro told associates that he was cutting Paul out of his share of the money from their joint businesses just hours before the murder. Keith Caneiro was concerned about money that had disappeared from the businesses' accounts and wanted to stop payment until he figured out where it went, according to an affidavit of probable cause — a police document in support of Caneiro's arrest.

The killings came to light when firefighters went to Keith and Jennifer Caneiro's home in Colts Neck on the afternoon of Nov. 20. Keith Caneiro was found, shot and dead, outside the home, while Jennifer, Jesse and Sophia were found dead inside, the prosecutor's office announced at the time.

Earlier that morning other firefighters had gone to Paul Caneiro's Ocean home to put out a fire authorities say he set himself to deflect suspicion by creating the illusion that some other person or group was trying to wipe out the greater Caneiro clan. Nobody was hurt in that fire, though Paul Caneiro's wife and adult children were home at the time.

Each count of murder can carry a life sentence without the possibility of parole if Caneiro is convicted, according to the prosecutor's office. Each count of felony murder - which is classified as a killing conducted in the commission of certain other crimes - could also carry a life sentence.

The indictment also includes aggravating factors that could keep Paul Caneiro from ever leaving prison if he's convicted. The factors include that Paul Caneiro allegedly killed children younger than 14 years old, that he committed the murders at least in part to receive or with the expectation of receiving money and that the murders were designed to prevent the accused from being apprehended or imprisoned for another offense.

Caneiro was first taken into custody on a single charge of aggravated arson, related to the fire at his own home, according to court records. The murder and other charges followed nine days later.

Monmouth County Assistant Prosecutor Christopher Decker represents the state, while attorneys Mitchell Ansell and Robert Honecker, of the Ocean Township firm Ansell; Grimm and Aaron, represent Caneiro.

Ansell and Honecker have said that Paul Caneiro says he is innocent of the charges against him.

"There is absolutely no reason in the world for Paul Caneiro to have committed the crimes he is alleged to have committed," they said in a prepared statement at the time of the original charges against him.

The defense attorneys issued another joint statement Monday evening saying they had received a copy of the indictment and are reviewing it with their client. Ansell and Honecker said they are discussing "potential issues" related to the indictment and are also looking at evidence collected by authorities to "identify any issues that may relate to the case."

Colts Neck murders: Paul Caneiro indicted on murder, theft charges

i read in the indictment about paul caniero's security camera being turned off. Do we know if Keith caniero had security cameras and were they on or off? Also - and i am not disputing the evidence and totally understand the concept of occams razor but what is the real motive? that his brother caught him stealing money? That happens all the time in family businesses. I mean this was his brother. Couldn't they have set up a payment plan or some other arrangement to pay back what was owed? from everything i have ready Keith sounds like an understanding stand up guy. I just think its a little strange. I am not trying to dispute the facts and/or evidence...just wondering if anyone else feels like there may be more to this story? all MOO

i read in the indictment about paul caniero's security camera being turned off. Do we know if Keith caniero had security cameras and were they on or off? Also - and i am not disputing the evidence and totally understand the concept of occams razor but what is the real motive? that his brother caught him stealing money? That happens all the time in family businesses. I mean this was his brother. Couldn't they have set up a payment plan or some other arrangement to pay back what was owed? from everything i have ready Keith sounds like an understanding stand up guy. I just think its a little strange. I am not trying to dispute the facts and/or evidence...just wondering if anyone else feels like there may be more to this story? all MOO

he couldn't stand the shame of being outed as a thief?

My guess is Keith threatened to go to the authorities.

https://www.app.com/story/news/crim...caneiro-killings-missing-document/2977680002/

Keith Caneiro sent an email "to two business associates indicating that there was money missing from the business and that he, (Keith), would be discontinuing payment" to Paul's wife until the money was found, according to the affidavit.

Snip

Keith was also planning on selling off one of his and Paul's joint businesses, and had told a relative "that he was frustrated with Paul and the amount of money Paul spent from their business accounts," according to the affidavit.

Keith forwarded that email to a relative about 7 p.m. the night before he was found dead with his family, according to the affidavit.

IMO it’s not a coincidence that Keith forwarded that email to their other brother and then was murdered merely hours later.

this won't be popular opinion but even if they have PC's fingerprints on the knife and gun i still won't believe it...

IMO, MOO, JMO, PC did not commit this crime.

Just curious if you still feel the same way now that time has gone by and more info has been released. Not being snarky, genuinely curious since you seemed very adamant that PC didn’t do it.

Monday, March 18th:
*Arraignment Hearing (@ 9am ET) – NJ – Keith Martin Caneiro (50), his wife Jennifer Karidis Caneiro (45) & 2 children Jesse (11) & Sophia (8) (Nov. 20, 2018, Colt’s Neck; died prior to fire @ home) – *Paul Jay Caneiro (51) (bro) arrested (11/20/18) & charged (11/29/18) & indicted (2/25/19) 4 counts of murder, 2 counts of felony murder, 2 counts of aggravated arson, possession of a firearm for an unlawful purpose, possession of a knife for an unlawful purpose, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of a knife, theft, misapplication of entrusted property & 2 counts of hindering apprehension.
Previously charge with 2 counts of 2nd degree aggravated arson (in connection to fire set @ his Ocean Township home on the same day before fire in Colt’s Neck), and with 4 counts of murder, with possession of a firearm & possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Paul Caneiro allegedly stole $78,000 from Keith & Jennifer Caneiro. He stole the money sometime between January 2017 & the day of the murders.
11/28/18: Detention hearing designed to determine whether Caneiro will remain in jail without bail to await trial. Defense receives new evidence asks to delay detention hearing until Friday, 11/30.
11/29/18: charged with four counts of murder, with possession of a firearm & possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose.

11/30/18: Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Next Pre-Indictment hearing on 1/30.
1/30/19 Update: Case goes to Grand Jury. Defense cancelled pre-indictment hearing where DA could have offered a peal deal. Trial likely will not start until next year (2020).
2/25/19 Update: 2/25/19: A grand jury had returned a 16-count indictment against Paul Caneiro. The charges he is facing now are: Murder (four counts), felony murder (two counts), aggravated arson (two counts), possession of a firearm for an unlawful purpose, possession of a knife for an unlawful purpose, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of a knife, theft, misapplication of entrusted property, hindering apprehension (two counts).
Arraignment hearing on 3/18.

Colts Neck murders: This is how cops say the Caneiro family met their brutal end

The 911 call came at 3:33 a.m.

A man reported hearing something unusual for that time of night: what sounded like gunshots in the area of his home on Rivers Edge Drive in Colts Neck. He told a dispatcher he was sitting in bed when he heard five shots ring out in rapid succession, "bop-bop-bop-bop-bop," followed by a two-second pause before one more "boom."

"It’s just clearly a gunshot," he told the dispatcher. Later he added, "It just didn't seem right."

A township patrol officer was summoned to the area to investigate, but the report was deemed unfounded, according to police documents.

A few miles away on Willow Brook Road, a woman woke in the middle of the night, unable to fall back to sleep. While she was up, she heard "four to five loud 'cracks,'" followed by a single gunshot, according to police. She looked at the time on her cable box. It was 3:10 a.m on Nov. 20, 2018.

Authorities think they know what these neighbors were hearing — a massacre in progress.

That's the time investigators believe Paul Caneiro, enraged by a dispute over money, drove to 15 Willow Brook Road in Colts Neck and murdered his brother Keith, his sister-in-law Jennifer and their two young children in their home.

The rest of the world wouldn't know the horror that enfolded at the relatively secluded estate for another nine hours, when the first reports of a house fire emerged.

https://www.app.com/story/news/crim...iro-family-killed-how-it-happened/3136594002/

Last edited:
Colts Neck murders: Paul Caneiro pleads not guilty to all charges

A public defender today entered not-guilty pleas to 16 charges on behalf of Paul J. Caneiro, the Ocean Township man accused of slaughtering his brother and sister-in-law and their two young children in crimes of greed that he tried to conceal in a series of arsons.

Deputy Assistant Public Defender Michael Wicke appeared alongside Caneiro at an arraignment and entered the not-guilty pleas before Superior Court Judge Joseph W. Oxley.

The prominent private attorneys who had been representing Caneiro, Robert A. Honecker Jr. and Mitchell Ansell of the Ocean Township law firm Ansell, Grimm and Aaron, officially withdrew from the case today due to conflicts of interest. They had repeatedly said that Paul Caneiro would never do anything to harm Keith Caneiro, 50, his brother and business partner, or any of his family members.

They would not elaborate on the conflicts.

"For us to now disclose the conflicts would impair Paul's ability to get a fair trial,'' Ansell said after the brief court proceeding.

The firm later released a prepared statement saying it withdrew from the case "after great debate and discussion within our firm and after having reviewed the rules governing the representation of clients contained in the Rules of Professional Conduct.''

After reviewing evidence in the case, the firm identified at lease two "separate and clear conflicts of interest,'' brought those conflicts to the attention of Oxley and the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office, and both agreed that "our continued representation of Mr. Caneiro would be impossible at this time,'' the statement said.

Nicole Wallace, assistant Monmouth County prosecutor, said there was no plea offer on the table for Caneiro except for him to plead guilty to all of the charges and be imprisoned for life without the possibility of release on parole.

Oxley scheduled a conference in the case for April 12.

Colts Neck murders: Paul Caneiro pleads not guilty to all charges

Last edited:

Seems to me the missing money was a bit more complicated than just repaying the missing money.

At the time of the murders allegedly committed by PC, he was also deemed completely disabled (auto accident), and his salary was reportedly being paid to his wife. I believe PC may have made claim on a disability insurance policy, leaving PC unable to legally collect his salary so PC simply set his wife up to draw his income herself. I suspect this may have been a straw employee situation, and this, coupled with additional monies missing, was more than Keith wanted to deal with. MOO

Seems to me the missing money was a bit more complicated than just repaying the missing money.

At the time of the murders allegedly committed by PC, he was also deemed completely disabled (auto accident), and his salary was reportedly being paid to his wife. I believe PC may have made claim on a disability insurance policy, leaving PC unable to legally collect his salary so PC simply set his wife up to draw his income herself. I suspect this may have been a straw employee situation, and this, coupled with additional monies missing, was more than Keith wanted to deal with. MOO
Most people who steal company money behind their partner's back have a secret vice, some kind of secret life they don't want exposed. Or, possibly, they have developed an expensive lifestyle and feel entitled to more than their partner is willing to 'give', deeply resenting that the other controls the supply of funds.

Most people who steal company money behind their partner's back have a secret vice, some kind of secret life they don't want exposed. Or, possibly, they have developed an expensive lifestyle and feel entitled to more than their partner is willing to 'give', deeply resenting that the other controls the supply of funds.
bbm
You make a good point, IMO.
We have seen that he bought Porches, IIRC, for his two daughters -- it seems to me he was, instead of "keeping up with the Joneses," he was keeping up with brother, and his wife and daughters may have pressed him for the cars and whatever else.

He probably resented his brother's success, and while the two brothers were growing up, his brother may have gotten more praise, better grades, was more popular, had more girlfriends, etc., etc. He probably really resented all of his brother's good fortune and felt entitled to the money he was taking -- "he owes me" and so on. The ferocity that he dealt his brother and his family in the killings may have been a "take that" type of thing. Envy, jealousy and revenge for his brother's success. JMO.

bbm
You make a good point, IMO.
We have seen that he bought Porches, IIRC, for his two daughters -- it seems to me he was, instead of "keeping up with the Joneses," he was keeping up with brother, and his wife and daughters may have pressed him for the cars and whatever else.

He probably resented his brother's success, and while the two brothers were growing up, his brother may have gotten more praise, better grades, was more popular, had more girlfriends, etc., etc. He probably really resented all of his brother's good fortune and felt entitled to the money he was taking -- "he owes me" and so on. The ferocity that he dealt his brother and his family in the killings may have been a "take that" type of thing. Envy, jealousy and revenge for his brother's success. JMO.

Well said!

Friday, April 12th:
*Pretrial Conference Hearing (@ 9am ET) – NJ – Keith Martin Caneiro (50), his wife Jennifer Karidis Caneiro (45) & 2 children Jesse (11) & Sophia (8) (Nov. 20, 2018, Colt’s Neck; died prior to fire @ home) – *Paul Jay Caneiro (51) (bro) arrested (11/20/18), charged (11/29/18), indicted (2/25/19) & arraigned (3/18/19) on 4 counts of murder, 2 counts of felony murder, 2 counts of aggravated arson, possession of a firearm for an unlawful purpose, possession of a knife for an unlawful purpose, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of a knife, theft, misapplication of entrusted property & 2 counts of hindering apprehension. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Monmouth County
Previously charge with 2 counts of 2nd degree aggravated arson (in connection to fire set @ his Ocean Township home on the same day before fire in Colt’s Neck), and with 4 counts of murder, with possession of a firearm & possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Paul Caneiro allegedly stole $78,000 from Keith & Jennifer Caneiro. He stole the money sometime between January 2017 & the day of the murders.
Court hearing from 11/28/18 thru 2/25/19 reference post #711 here:
NJ - Multiple Deaths in Mansion Fire, Monmouth County, Colts Neck, 20 Nov 2018 *Arrest*

3/18/19 Arraignment: A public defender entered not-guilty pleas to 16 charges on behalf of Caneiro. Assistant Monmouth County prosecutor Nicole Wallace said there was no plea offer on the table for Caneiro except for him to plead guilty to all of the charges & be imprisoned for life without the possibility of release on parole. Judge Oxley scheduled a conference in the case for April 12.

Caneiro Attorneys Forced To Step Down

March 28, 2019

COLTS NECK – The defense team at the helm of Paul Caneiro’s quadruple murder case will no longer include two respected local attorneys.

According to a media release distributed Monday, the firm of Ansell, Grimm & Aaron, PC sought and received relief for Mitchell J. Ansell and Robert A. Honecker Jr. after reviewing discovery from the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office (MCPO), as well as subsequent material collected during their own investigation of the events of Nov. 20, 2018, the day Paul Caneiro’s brother and family were found slaughtered in their Colts Neck mansion.

It was during the review of these materials that at least two separate conflicts of interest were discovered, forcing the firm’s personnel to step away, a point Ansell stressed to The Two River Times in a March 19 interview.

“We didn’t quit. The rules of professional conduct forced us to withdraw, and it’s very frustrating,” Ansell said. “It feels like it’s being implied that we just decided not to represent him anymore. And that’s just not accurate. As lawyers we have taken an oath, and we have to abide by the rules of professional conduct.”

Ansell, who has handled cases in Monmouth County for the last three decades, said he hasn’t seen anything like the media attention given to the Caneiro case “in a long time.”

Paul Caneiro made national headlines in November when he was taken into custody after his brother was gunned down in the driveway of his Colts Neck estate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashley216
Back