Deceased/Not Found NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
searunner said:
I am deeply disappointed to the point of sickened at his family showing up at his hearing. Yes, I know he is someone's child and sibling, but I don't think I'd stand by a child and I know for sure that I would not stand by a sibling (and I love by siblings) in these particular circumstances. This wasn't an argument that escalated.This was a calculated and cold-blooded execution of someone innocent and who apparent had been a good friend to him. And the fact that he strangled her and watched her die for a half hour...words can not express how depraved he is. He and people like him are a danger to society - and people like this can not be rehabilitated.

I do not care what any of his family or friends might say, there is no way in hell that he is not a major sociopath and that there weren't warning signs crying out. The fact that his family either did not notice them or (more likely) just did not want to admit to themselves that one of their baby-faced blondies is a dangerous sick pup just shows how dysfunctional and/or irresponsible they are. People with the usual level of family dysfunction (we all have some) do not raise a child that plans for six months to rob (and maybe kill) one of his best friends all for a few thousand $. I can understand people who steal when they or their families are literally starving. But baby-faced sicko who is all of just 19 years old and seems very physically able apparently just did not want to work (given he quit his job a couple days after murdering Sarah). Boo-hoo. Poor baby had to work for a living, like most of us have to do. (And he has only been doing so for a short time.)

The reason I feel extreme distaste for the family is because the parents obviously hired the defense attorney and we all can guess by what this deplorable man has said what the defense will be. They are going to use the suicide angle. That, to me, is like putting another dagger through Sarah's father's heart - a man that seems a good man and is a family friend. These people obviously do not care what they have to do to get sonny boy off.

Again, no way in hell I would be in court if this was my sibling. I love my siblings, but some things are SO wrong that shared blood does not matter. And a child? I don't know. But I'd not be paying for a defense attorney whose goal was to soil the good name of the innocent victim that my son had brutally murdered.

[/FONT]

I agree with you on everything but the family bits. I would be there. Even if I wanted them to rot in jail I'd be there. It doesn't mean they're cheering him on, and it doesn't mean they aren't disgusted by what happened. Its an incredibly complex situation, and the "right thing to do" isn't always so clear in the hot seat. Not to mention we have no idea what their son has told them. They may not even think he's guilty. Imaging the emotional distress they're in, they probably arnt in their right minds.

You said you think he's a sociopath. And I would agree with you. If he is a sociopath, then its even more reason to be sympathetic to his family. I don't know if you've ever met a sociopath, but I have. And they tend to be cunning and manipulative. They tend to be charmers. And yes, in retrospect there were probably signs. But usually these signs arnt as clear as putting cat heads in the freezer. And no one wants to think that someone they birthed and raised and love is a monster. No one wants to believe someone they love is capable of this. Mental illness is not clear cut either. Even if they did know he was mentally ill, does not mean they knew he could kill someone. Most sociopaths don't kill people. The family didn't to anything, they are victims too.

Sent from my UMI_Diamond using Tapatalk

How does one strangle someone and watch them die for half an hour? If he crushed her windpipe maybe it could make sense. However if that was the case I think the prosecutor would have mentioned it in court to show the viciousness with which Sara was attacked.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

How does one strangle someone and watch them die for half an hour? If he crushed her windpipe maybe it could make sense. However if that was the case I think the prosecutor would have mentioned it in court to show the viciousness with which Sara was attacked.

Starting and stopping because she was fighting him off :(.

Starting and stopping because she was fighting him off :(.
That, or maybe he just wasn't "good" at it. I've never strangled anyone or anything but its probably harder then it looks

But they say he watched her for half an hour die. Not it took a half hour to kill her.

6. Is there any video surveillance?
Cops found Stern's abandoned vehicle on the Route 35 bridge on Dec. 3, 2016 after someone called the police and reported seeing the car parked on the shoulder. Authorities said McAtasney drove Stern's car with her body inside to the bridge, and Taylor met him in his own vehicle. The two then allegedly dumped the body into the river early in the morning.

The Route 35 bridge, which connects Belmar and Neptune Township, is a busy stretch of road despite the early morning hours. Authorities have also not said if the two were ever caught on surveillance camera in the area of Stern's home or on the bridge.

Also, if McAtasney went to a bank at some point on Dec. 2, as indicated by prosecutors Tuesday, it has not been revealed if investigators have video surveillance from the bank. The bank branch has not been named.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2017/02/unanswered_questions_in_the_sarah_stern_case.html

Teen who helped dispose of Sarah Stern's body to remain in jail

new link
http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2017/02/preston_taylor_to_remain_behind_bars.html

-b07de15bb390aa18.JPG

Preston Taylor, 19, will remain incarcerated until his trial because his attorney did not raise new issues to warrant reconsidering whether he should be released, Judge David Bauman said.

Taylor's attorney, John Perrone, vowed to take the issue to the Appellate Division.

Insisting his client would not obstruct the case against him, Perrone asked Bauman to reopen Taylor's detention hearing.

Under the state's bail rules that went into effect Jan. 1, Perrone would have had to show one of three things to reopen the hearing - that setting a monetary bail would assure Taylor's appearance for future court dates, that his release would not pose a danger to the community or anyone else, or that he would not obstruct or try to obstruct the case.

Last week, Bauman refused to release Taylor based on the obstruction issue.

Citing the new bail rules, Bauman said Perrone did not present any new information that could have affected his decision about the obstruction issue.

Perrone said that if his client is released on bail, Taylor's father, Jeremiah Taylor, was prepared to sleep in the same room as his son, take away his cell phone, cancel the family's internet service and take away his son's driver's license to ensure that there would be no further obstruction.

"He's basically going to be the custodian of him," Perrone said.

But Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Meghan Doyle said that was the same level of oversight Perrone had pledged at the Feb. 7 detention hearing that Taylor would receive.

She said that was not enough for Bauman to reopen the hearing.

Prosecutors have said Taylor first obstructed the case by denying knowing anything about Stern's disappearance when he spoke with investigators Dec. 7 interview with investigators and by participating with McAtasney in a Dec. 10 search for her to divert suspicion from them.

Perrone argued Taylor demonstrated that he wasn't obstructing when he told investigators on Feb. 1 about his involvement.

But Doyle said Taylor's cooperation has no bearing on whether he should be released.

"He cooperated because he got caught,
" she said.

Perrone said he has seven days to file an appeal.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2017/02/preston_taylor_to_remain_behind_bars.html

-f1022a5b55ba8bc7.JPG

Prosecutors have said Taylor first obstructed the case by denying knowing anything about Stern's disappearance when he spoke with investigators Dec. 7 interview with investigators and by participating with McAtasney in a Dec. 10 search for her to divert suspicion from them.

So LE was on it Dec. 7, just a few days after Sarah's murder.

22 guests viewing this thread. I hope it is because Sarah was loved and admired very much.

That could just be a normal part of a missing persons investigation to talk to the missing person's friends/acquaintances. There's no indication that they were actually on to PT or LM at that point (although they could have been as well, I guess - there's no indication at all what was said at the time).

Have any court dates been set? Is this going to drag on for years? I certainly hope not for Sarah's family's sake.

Also, does anyone know how difficult it will be to convict LM of murder with no body? I'm sure in some jurisdictions it is damn near impossible.

Please understand that PT tears are real, but the they are only for him, not SS. Both PT and LM can only feel their own pain. Not even the pain of their on family's. Don't feel to bad for the family's of the killer's. They can still come to visit them in prison. When will Mr Stern be able to see Sarah again?

Plenty of guilty verdicts have come back with out having a body. This case will not be an exception.

Please understand that PT tears are real, but the they are only for him, not SS. Both PT and LM can only feel their own pain. Not even the pain of their on family's. Don't feel to bad for the family's of the killer's. They can still come to visit them in prison. When will Mr Stern be able to see Sarah again?
Im not saying their pain is the same as Sarah's father in any way. But its not just that their sons in prison. Its dealing with his actions. You can't possibly look at someone the same after that, even a son or brother. Emotionally, that's something that's very hard to cope with or get over.

I gotcha, but I can't feel ya. I'm a mother of a 19 year old girl, that I had to hold all night as she moaned and cried all night over her friend who was murdered. That friend would be SS. You"ll be able to recognize me in a crowd. I'll be the one playing the world's smallest violin.

I gotcha, but I can't feel ya. I'm a mother of a 19 year old girl, that I had to hold all night as she moaned and cried all night over her friend who was murdered. That friend would be SS. You"ll be able to recognize me in a crowd. I'll be the one playing the world's smallest violin.
I'm sorry for that. But that doesn't mean that his parents aren't going through hell right now. Their pain shouldn't be minimized.

That could just be a normal part of a missing persons investigation to talk to the missing person's friends/acquaintances. There's no indication that they were actually on to PT or LM at that point (although they could have been as well, I guess - there's no indication at all what was said at the time).

However, if LM's cell was found at the scene , as reported, then LE had a pretty big clue about who might be involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper