NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it ever explained why they only have the trial on Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays?? I've noted that the trial should last 4 to 6 weeks. We are just finishing week 4, by my count at least! :)
Very typical for this jurisdiction - not unique to this case.

Thanks Seattle - any idea on the make up of the jurors? TIA! :)

“FREEHOLD - The juror dismissed from the Sarah Stern murder case over a post on her Facebook page will face contempt charges, said a judge who is now questioning the other jurors about their contact with the expelled panelist.

Superior Court Judge Richard W. English is questioning the remaining 15 jurors at sidebar with attorneys about the panelists’ communications with juror no. 13, who was dismissed Feb. 7 after it was revealed there was a Facebook post in her name responding to an Asbury Park Press article about the ongoing trial of Liam McAtasney in Stern’s murder.

[SBM]

McAtasney’s attorney, Carlos Diaz-Cobo, asked for a mistrial because of the post and subsequent activity by the dismissed juror.

Diaz-Cobo notes that juror further violated judicial instructions not to discuss the case by granting an interview Wednesdaycto nj.comin which she says she was having nightmares about the case and also has been told she looks like the victim.

‘She’s been in the media and is facing contempt charges,’ English said.

[SBM]”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.app.com/amp/2807832002

I'm sure there are plenty of mature 21 year olds with common sense, and this will make me sound like an old fart, but IMO 21 is kind of young to serve on a jury in a murder trial. I love my 21 year old nephew and niece with all my heart but I don't think they could handle something like this AT ALL.

“2 JURORS DISMISSED IN SARAH STERN TRIAL IN NEW JERSEY AFTER FACEBOOK POST”
2 jurors dismissed in Sarah Stern murder trial in New Jersey after Facebook post

“BELMAR, New Jersey - Two jurors have been dismissed in the Sarah Stern murder trial in New Jersey after one of them posted about the case on Facebook.

[SBM]

On Thursday, the judge interviewed each juror about what he or she heard from the dismissed juror. A second juror was released as a result.

Attorneys for the suspect, Liam McAtasney, were asking for five other jurors to be released and had previously requested a mistrial, which the judge denied.

Twelve jurors and two alternates remain.

[SBM]” (BBM)

Last edited:
Sarah Stern murder: Mistrial denied, but dismissed juror facing charges for Facebook post

FREEHOLD - The juror dismissed from the Sarah Stern murder case over a post on her Facebook page will face contempt charges, said a judge who is now questioning the other jurors about their contact with the expelled panelist.

Superior Court Judge Richard W. English is questioning the remaining 15 jurors at sidebar with attorneys about the panelists’ communications with juror no. 13, who was dismissed Feb. 7 after it was revealed there was a Facebook post in her name responding to an Asbury Park Press article about the ongoing trial of Liam McAtasney in Stern’s murder.

Sarah Stern murder: Mistrial denied, but dismissed juror facing charges for Facebook post

I'm sure there are plenty of mature 21 year olds with common sense, and this will make me sound like an old fart, but IMO 21 is kind of young to serve on a jury in a murder trial. I love my 21 year old nephew and niece with all my heart but I don't think they could handle something like this AT ALL.
Juror eligibility begins at age 18.

And yes, that is somewhat frightening! o_O

Oh good - now let's get on with the trial....
judge-smiley.gif

Soooo pleased there will be contempt charges!!!! If she thought jury duty was too taxing, wait till she gets some sanctions - fines and or community service etc. Doubt there'll be jailtime for this particular offense, but it would be good, perhaps. She'd never take civil duties lightly again then, I'd think. Thank you Judge English for letting justice carry on!!

“The judge in the Sarah Stern murder trial refused to grant a mistrial after dismissing a juror over a Facebook comment about the case and said the juror will be charged with contempt for talking to the media.

Judge Richard English also dismissed a second juror because she contacted the dismissed juror when she did not show up to court earlier this week.

‘I am confident the remaining 14 jurors can hear this case and make a decisions based on the evidence alone,’ English said.

[SBM]

The state was set to rest its case after its final two witnesses were scheduled to testify on Wednesday, but that testimony was pushed back because of the motion for a mistrial.

[Defense attorney Carlos] Diaz-Cobo said he plans to call five witnesses to the stand.” (BBM)
Judge threatens to charge ‘LMAO’ juror in Sarah Stern murder trial

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members