GUILTY NM - Alexis Avila, 18, caught on camera tossing newborn into dumpster, Hobbs, Jan 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Poor little thing. They really need posters in schools telling these girls they can drop off their babies at safe havens like police stations and hospitals.

Yes. Posters would be good. And it should be covered in health class along with decent and comprehensive sex ed, among other things. So many things should be covered- child abuse, bullying, eating disorders, intimate partner violence, nutrition, etc. (IMO). Schools have a rare opportunity to reach a captive (sort of) audience.

2 different charges for her have come up on the court site.

Case #D-506-CR-202200013

Party Count Seq # Statute Charge Class Charge Date Cit # Plea Disposition Disp Date
D 1 1 1 30-28-1 & 30-2-1(A)( Attempt to Commit a Felony, to wit: First Degree Murder (Willful & Deliberate) F2 01/07/2022

Docket:
Event Date Event Description Event Result Party Type Party # Amount
01/10/2022 NTC: HEARING (ARRAIGNMENT)
1-12-22 @ 2:15PM

01/10/2022 Appearance Bond

01/10/2022 WAR: PHYSICAL WARRANT RETURNED D 1
Warrant was issued on 01/08/2022 and served on 01/08/2022

01/10/2022 OPN: CRIMINAL INFORMATION / COMPLAINT

Hearing:
Hearing Date Hearing Time Hearing Type Hearing Judge Court Court Room
01/12/2022 2:15 PM ARRAIGNMENT Shoobridge, William G. W. LOVINGTON DISTRICT COURT Lea County Courtroom 3

link: Stale Session

Case #D-506-PD-202200003

Party Count Seq # Statute Charge Class Charge Date Cit # Plea Disposition Disp Date
D 1 1 1 30-28-1 & 30-2-1(A)( Attempt to Commit a Felony, to wit: First Degree Murder (Felony Murder) F2 01/07/2022

Docket:
01/10/2022 NTC: Hearing (Preliminary)
Detention Hearing 1-12-22 @ 2:30PM

01/10/2022 MTN: for Pretrial Detention 5-409
Amended

01/10/2022 Criminal Complaint (Non Opening)

01/10/2022 OPN: Petition for Pretrial Detention 5-409

Hearing:
Hearing Date Hearing Time Hearing Type Hearing Judge Court Court Room
01/12/2022 2:30 PM Detention and Preliminary Hearing Shoobridge, William G. W. LOVINGTON DISTRICT COURT Lea County Courtroom 3

Wednesday, January 12th:
Arraignment Hearing (willful & deliberate) (@ 2:15pm MT) & Detention/ Preliminary Hearing (felony) (@ 2:30pm MT) - NM - Newborn male baby (Jan. 7, 2022 found in dumpster behind Rig Outfitters Jan. 2022, Hobbs; newborn is in stable condition at Lubbock hospital) - *Alexis Nicole Avila (18) arrested & charged (1/8/22) with attempt to commit a felony, to wit: 1st degree murder (Felony Murder) & attempt to commit a felony, to wit: 1st degree murder (Willful & Deliberate).
She confessed to investigators. Fifth Judicial District prosecutors said the charges could be amended once Avila is arraigned.
The video showed a woman pulling up in a white car around 2 p.m. MT Friday, unceremoniously tossing a black bag from the backseat into the dumpster and driving off & the rescuers who pulled her to safety five to six hours later. Investigators would not release the suspected father's identity because he is a juvenile.

1/7/22 Update: Arraignment hearing on murder willful & deliberate on 1/12/22 @ 2:15pm & detention & preliminary hearing on felony murder on 1/12/22 @ 2:30pm.

She really drove there with a BABY already packed up in GARBAGE BAGS on the BACK SEAT. Then she TOSSED the bundle in the dumpster. No tears, no hesitation, no tenderness, no anxiety. I've seen people handle actual garbage with more consideration.

The girl sounds like a little sociopath with no human feelings. I'm sorry, but throw the book at her. I don't even want to look at her facial expression in her booking photo after reading a reference to it in a previous post. I can only imagine...

My only thoughts are with the poor baby who miraculously survived. Another miracle will be if he is able with the right support to grow up and have a decent life.

• Although Avila told police she did not know she was pregnant until she gave birth, Stephen claimed she knew and told him she suffered a miscarriage
  • Avila's mother, Martha, 47, has broken her silence to defend her daughter and told DailyMail.com that 'Everybody makes mistakes'

Sickening. I have no sympathy for the girl whatsoever. And her mom saying, “Everybody makes mistakes” sorry but double bagging a newborn baby into trash bags and throwing into a dumpster is more than just a mistake.

At the beginning, I skipped the video and felt compassion for the 'teen' and the baby. We see plenty of that sort around Websleuths.

Well, no, this is a diabolical adult collaborating with manipulative adults.

Apparently, no one thought of selling that baby.

Looks like he may find a loving home with his Dad's family? Might be best to place him far away where Mom's group can't find him...

jmho ymmv lrr

I saw the video, and it was disgusting! Double bagged and flung into a dumpster! Flung! A tiny just born infant! She purposely hid this infant where she was sure he would not be found and the double bagged plastic shows intent to murder imho! She’s 18 - she had many other options! No way out and no mercy from me - it’s on video - also on video is the fact that hours passed in cold weather and this helpless newborn laid in a cold dark dumpster - miserable - and no one to comfort or care for him! Absolutely one of the most vile attempted murders I’ve ever heard of!

No next hearing date yet on the court site just a docket update so far - I'll look a bit later considering I'm 10 hours ahead.... ;)

Felony murder:

01/11/2022 ENTRY OF APPEARANCE D 1
of Co-Counsel

01/10/2022 DEMAND FOR PRESERVATION OF EVIDENCE

01/10/2022 CERTIFICATE OF DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION

01/10/2022 DEMAND FOR SPEEDY TRIAL D 1

01/10/2022 ENTRY OF APPEARANCE D 1
DEMAND FOR DISCOVERY

Hearings:

None listed yet.

Willful:

01/11/2022 ORD: INTERIM ORDER D 1
of Conditions of Release

01/11/2022 WITNESS LIST
Amended

01/11/2022 NTC: HEARING (ARRAIGNMENT)
Amended - 01/12/2022 @ 2:30 PM

01/11/2022 WITNESS LIST

01/11/2022 DISCLOSURE P 1

01/11/2022 DEMAND FOR ALIBI P 1

01/11/2022 DISCLOSURE REQUEST

01/10/2022 NTC: HEARING (ARRAIGNMENT)
1-12-22 @ 2:15PM

01/10/2022 Appearance Bond

Hearings:

none listed yet.

Link: Stale Session

I guess that I am the odd one out, I see two victims here. We don't know the situation or story of the woman involved. No judgment from me. But, this type of occurrence is not unusual, I am sure that we will be seeing more and more of these.

Is the "solution" prison for 20 years or more for this young gal?

Docket update for felony:

01/13/2022 EXHIBIT RECEIPT

01/12/2022 Bench Trial Commenced

01/12/2022 ORD: OF APPOINTMENT
of Special Assistant District Attorney

No new hearing date.

Docket update for willful & deliberate:

01/12/2022 ADVICE OF RIGHTS
on First Appearance Under Rule 5-301 - Waived

and no new hearing dates here either

I see on the "felony" - it says Bench trial commenced.... ??

found this article - looks like she is under house arrest.

Hobbs woman accused of dumping newborn under house arrest until trial

Jan. 12, 2022

HOBBS, NM (KCBD) - The 18-year-old woman accused of throwing her newborn baby in a dumpster behind a mall in Hobbs, New Mexico is due in court Wednesday afternoon. A crowd gathered at the entrance of the courthouse with signs, one saying “Babies are a gift from God, not garbage,” and “Justice for Baby.”

Alexis Avila was arraigned in a Lea County courtroom where she is facing charges of attempted murder. There was also a pre-detention hearing scheduled where a judge will decide if Avila will be held in custody while awaiting trial.

The judge decided Avila is under house arrest until her trial. Some conditions of her house arrest are that she cannot leave her house unless she is going to school, a job, receiving medical or psychological counseling, church if her family is also attending. She is not allowed to have or be on social media, she is not allowed to be around her child or any child under the age of 10. She is also not allowed to have any male visitors at her home. She is required to wear an ankle monitor.

The judge said, “If you go somewhere, I’ll be notified and you’ll go straight to jail.” He also told the courtroom the house arrest conditions will protect the community without her being in jail.

unfortunately, no next court date or when her trial is supposed to be.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnaNikiSB
Back