NM NM - Ingrid Lane, 37, Jemez Springs, 15 Oct 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How did you determine this?
The early news articles i read said the hunters that ran into her that day said she asked for help for a flat tire and they helped put air in it and offered her a ride back to town - which she declined.

The later news articles and the one I posted clearly shows much more damage to her car - broken window /front end damage etc

Just saw this case mentioned in another thread. I just want to clarify the timeline, she left at 5:30a 10/15 and was at the zen center that same morning around 9? Is that correct? Did the hunters have contact with her before or after the zen center?

Also, when did the husband report her missing, in his interview he said 3 days, so did he report her missing the 17th or 18th?
When was her initial return expected? Was the airtag not on the entire time?

Sorry I know I just have a lot of questions, but the entire story is off/odd...
Quoting myself to answer my own question, because i'm cool like that. JK I just was doing more reading and came across this.

"What we learned later, when they were towing her car, a few hunters flagged down the people who were towing it and said they had actually talked to her on Sunday at about 2 p.m. The report was, she had a flat tire, and the back window of her car was smashed out at that time. She told them she had messed up her car, and she was looking to get to the top of the mountain," Scuderi said.

First thing Wednesday morning, I called the Zen Center, and they said that she had been there probably 8 or 9 a.m. that Sunday, but had left," Scuderi said.

Then, Wednesday was when Louis filed the missing person's report," Lane said.

So all of my bolded questions are answered in this article.

10/15 5-5:30a She left home
10/15 9a left the zen center
10/15 2pm the hunters talked to her
10/18 husband reported her missing
10/18 car located via air tag

Quoting myself to answer my own question, because i'm cool like that. JK I just was doing more reading and came across this.

"What we learned later, when they were towing her car, a few hunters flagged down the people who were towing it and said they had actually talked to her on Sunday at about 2 p.m. The report was, she had a flat tire, and the back window of her car was smashed out at that time. She told them she had messed up her car, and she was looking to get to the top of the mountain," Scuderi said.

First thing Wednesday morning, I called the Zen Center, and they said that she had been there probably 8 or 9 a.m. that Sunday, but had left," Scuderi said.

Then, Wednesday was when Louis filed the missing person's report," Lane said.

So all of my bolded questions are answered in this article.

10/15 5-5:30a She left home
10/15 9a left the zen center
10/15 2pm the hunters talked to her
10/18 husband reported her missing
10/18 car located via air tag
"She told them she had messed up her car, and she was looking to get to the top of the mountain," Scuderi said.

This statement worries me - clearly she knew her car was not in a good state / flat tire etc and she ignored the ride to continue to push to the top of mountain? Frame of mind seems a little off?

For scale, there is a hat and a book near the rock. I don't think it too large for the missing person to carry and it certainly could have been chucked through a window by a car prowler looking for a wallet or purse (not a burner phone that is worthless to pawn or use with paying), cash, credit cards or a gun. They are very active in all hiking areas all over this country, we can't safely leave our cars on remote logging roads anymore. If the car had been there longer, someone might start using it for target practice, strip it or do more vandalism. The front-end damage does look like it could have done something to a tire.
Since there is no indication that the hunters aren't being truthful, and no one else even knew where she was, I would guess she hiked off to her undisclosed destination. Her behavior is not unusual to her loved ones and it seems she intentionally or accidentally disappeared of her own free will.
A lost or stranded person could coincidentally be a victim of foul play but nothing indicates she didn't follow through with what she told the hunters.
MOO

"...Her car had a spare tire on it, the back window was smashed with a rock in the back seat. Scuderi says it might be from his front yard in Albuquerque...."

Question: What the heck is the husband implying about that rock? It looks like it weighs over 100 pounds....Moo
"The back window was smashed with a rock in the back seat." We see that the window has been broken/smashed/shattered, and that there is indeed a rock in the back seat, but does it mean that the window was smashed with that rock? Or was the rock already there, and the window was smashed later? If so, with what?

Put another way, was the sentence intended to mean
  • The back window was smashed with a rock in the back seat. OR
  • The back window was smashed, with a rock in the back seat.
Also, where are the glass shards? In the back? The trunk? Or outside the car?

This is not trifling over semantics, this is a serious situation where a woman is missing, and we don't know why, where, or how.

MOO

"The back window was smashed with a rock in the back seat." We see that the window has been broken/smashed/shattered, and that there is indeed a rock in the back seat, but does it mean that the window was smashed with that rock? Or was the rock already there, and the window was smashed later? If so, with what?

Put another way, was the sentence intended to mean
  • The back window was smashed with a rock in the back seat. OR
  • The back window was smashed, with a rock in the back seat.
Also, where are the glass shards? In the back? The trunk? Or outside the car?

This is not trifling over semantics, this is a serious situation where a woman is missing, and we don't know why, where, or how.

MOO
Do we know for a fact whether the window was broken after the contact with the hunter or before?
Did she leave the car parked, walk away and come back to the broken window? Or was the car broken into sometime after she hiked away?
I would think a broken window would be unrelated to the tire flat and it would have been asked about or mentioned when she was talking to the hunters.
I am a rock lover and have frequently brought home the largest rock I could carry as a souvenir to put in my garden.
I think the husband is wrong that it came from their yard and I don't see a rock being in the car and there is a broken window not related to the rock. She could have collected a rock and the window was broken in another way.
Vehicle windows do not break into shards, they break and crumble into small pieces which fall mostly straight down. They will be on the bumper, the ground below, on the inside of the car below the window and a few pieces will be scattered inside from the force of the object thrown. There may initially only be a ragged hole from the impact, then the rest starts to fall randomly, a little a time or sections as they lose support. Of course, window films will completely alter this.

Vehicle windows do not break into shards, they break and crumble into small pieces which fall mostly straight down. They will be on the bumper, the ground below, on the inside of the car below the window and a few pieces will be scattered inside from the force of the object thrown. There may initially only be a ragged hole from the impact, then the rest starts to fall randomly, a little a time or sections as they lose support. Of course, window films will completely alter this.
RSBM
Yep, when I said shards, I wasn't referring to the jagged pieces of glass of decades ago, I meant exactly what you are describing but was using inaccurate terminology. Apologies for the confusion.

Lane’s husband, Louis Scuderi, said his wife set off on a solo trip with the intention of visiting the Zen Center in Jemez Springs, New Mexico, where she planned to disconnect and focus on her mental health.
*I’m afraid that’s exactly what she’s done. She seemed so focused on being alone. She even turned down help when she may have known better.

Last edited:
For scale, there is a hat and a book near the rock. I don't think it too large for the missing person to carry and it certainly could have been chucked through a window by a car prowler looking for a wallet or purse (not a burner phone that is worthless to pawn or use with paying), cash, credit cards or a gun. They are very active in all hiking areas all over this country, we can't safely leave our cars on remote logging roads anymore. If the car had been there longer, someone might start using it for target practice, strip it or do more vandalism. The front-end damage does look like it could have done something to a tire.
Since there is no indication that the hunters aren't being truthful, and no one else even knew where she was, I would guess she hiked off to her undisclosed destination. Her behavior is not unusual to her loved ones and it seems she intentionally or accidentally disappeared of her own free will.
A lost or stranded person could coincidentally be a victim of foul play but nothing indicates she didn't follow through with what she told the hunters.
MOO
BBM, The only point I would argue is the husband knew where she was since she had the airtag.

BBM, The only point I would argue is the husband knew where she was since she had the airtag.
There is no cell service in that area. Her phone had been turned off and apparently not left in the car. He would have had to know she was out on that road, drove to the area, and then ping the airtag, which would lead to the car.
I would argue he did not and could not know her location and the hunters she saw on the 15th were still in the area on the 18th when her car was towed. I know you are not implying the husband could be involved in her disappearance but just the mere mention of an airtag is enough for some to jump to conclusions.
Moo

There is no cell service in that area. Her phone had been turned off and apparently not left in the car. He would have had to know she was out on that road, drove to the area, and then ping the airtag, which would lead to the car.
I would argue he did not and could not know her location and the hunters she saw on the 15th were still in the area on the 18th when her car was towed. I know you are not implying the husband could be involved in her disappearance but just the mere mention of an airtag is enough for some to jump to conclusions.
Moo
AirTags apparently connect to _any_ compatible Apple device. The ping could have come from the hunters, or another passerby. Anyone with an iPhone.

Hypothesis: she tried to drive up a steep incline, couldn't make it and couldn't turn around, so started backing down the subaru. Then lost control and damaged the car - blew the tire and backed into a tree, breaking the back window.

• Was the rock from home?
  • Why was the rock in the rear passenger seat?
    • Consider it would be in the trunk area. To get the spare tire all the trunk stuff would need to move elsewhere. Like the rear passenger seat.
  • Seems like she had her phone - there are no reports that it was in the car.

Sister thinks she actually got a ride. If Ingrid had her phone, and it still had some charge (or was recharged), and she crossed through any area with reception, I imagine law enforcement can seek records of towers picking up her phone.

From sister's find Ingrid FB page:
We have confirmation she was seen Sunday afternoon at that site. Her car had broken down. Some hunters helped and offered her a ride out. She said she was trying to reach a peak or mountain nearby so didn’t take their ride. So we think she got a ride to somewhere else but drones couldn’t find evidence of her at any nearby peaks or mountains.

I wonder if she normally took Forest Road 144...

Eta: Snipped...
...She stayed overnight Saturday, October 14 at the Bodhi Manda Zen Center in Jemez Springs, a place where she had attended retreats a number of times. On Sunday morning, she meditated with the group and planned to either go back to Albuquerque or go to Los Alamos.

Last edited:
Google maps won't bring up the correct Forest Road 144 but I found some hikers that know the Jimenz Mountains...fwiw

Snipped...
...From the north end of Albuquerque it’s about 2 1/4 hours to the trailhead. Once at San Ysidro head north on NM 4, through Jemez Springs, turning left on NM 126 at La Cueva. At 35 deg. 53.479 min. N, 106 deg. 40.070 min W, turn right onto Forest Road (FR) 144. This is unpaved and in places rocky and rutted, so a high-clearance vehicle is a must. FR 144 meanders along a ridgeline; as side roads appear, continue northward on the most prominent road. At 35 deg. 57.034 min. N, 106 deg. 38.561 min. W, an old road in poor condition takes off to the left. Make note of this road—it’s the start of the hike—but continue another 50 meters and use a turnoff to the right to park.

So, following the directions but only from Bodhi Center which is in Jemez Springs, alas, there it was (NM?) 144..not sure where along 144 her car was found but maybe she was going to do that Hay Canyon Loop Hike. (NOTE: a jeep forum shows great pics, more dirt trail than road...)

Edited to change the map to (maybe?) be closer to where the hikers said to park (close to the trail)

Last edited:
Lane’s husband, Louis Scuderi, said his wife set off on a solo trip with the intention of visiting the Zen Center in Jemez Springs, New Mexico, where she planned to disconnect and focus on her mental health.
*I’m afraid that’s exactly what she’s done. She seemed so focused on being alone. She even turned down help when she may have known better.
In this post by @imstilla.grandma, to me reads as if the flat tire was the main and maybe only concern when the hunters met her. The second paragraph here makes it appear as if the car had not moved after the tire was repaired. So the rear window was somehow smashed between around 2 p.m. Sunday the 15th, and the day the car was found three days later. Conflicting information between articles for what should be pretty straightforward.

Plus I’m not sure if it matters, but I’ve read both that the hunters aired the tire and that the spare was on the car. Wouldn’t the spare already have air in it? If the spare was put on, where is the original tire? Maybe the spare was already on the car. I’m confused about the condition of the car and how and when it ended up the way it did.

[…]

The 37-year-old avid hiker was reportedly last seen by two hunters who said they helped her air up a flat tire on her 2019 Subaru Impreza hatchback on a remote road.

[…]

Lane’s car was found abandoned in the same spot — with her rear window smashed out — three days later.

[…]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back