NM NM - Ingrid Lane, 37, Jemez Springs, 15 Oct 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
AirTags apparently connect to _any_ compatible Apple device. The ping could have come from the hunters, or another passerby. Anyone with an iPhone.
The actual ping is done with a "find my air tag" app to find that specific air tag that is registered with the husband's phone. There is reportedly no cell service in that remote area. The hunter's iPhone could detect the air tag in the area, but not ping, their phone doesn't report that to the husband's phone. Only a connected iPhone near the car at the exact time the husband used the app, would give/relay to the husband the car's location.

This reminds me of the Chelsea Grimm case going on right now. A woman who might be dealing with mental health issues, weird circumstances in general, car found on a remote road, no sign of her…

It seems to me like Ingrid wasn’t thinking totally clearly when the hunters helped with her tire. Who would keep driving with a smashed in back window unless it was absolutely necessary? She could’ve gotten a ride from the hunters to an area with service at least and then called someone to come get her, returning to the car the next day or whenever to get it fixed. IMO Ingrid seemed determined to do whatever she had in mind when the hunters helped her, whether she was able to drive her car or not. IMO she really wanted to be alone and this car trouble she ran into really put a damper on her plans. I don’t know what those plans could’ve been, though. I hope Ingrid’s family gets answers soon:(

I wonder if she normally took Forest Road 144...

Eta: Snipped...
...She stayed overnight Saturday, October 14 at the Bodhi Manda Zen Center in Jemez Springs, a place where she had attended retreats a number of times. On Sunday morning, she meditated with the group and planned to either go back to Albuquerque or go to Los Alamos.

This is my timeline, but that article is saying she stayed 10/14 at the zen center. But the husband reported she left home at 5-5:30 on 10/15. I'll link & quote the article below. So now I'm super curious about when she actually left and how that isn't set in stone.

10/15 5-5:30a She left home
10/15 9a left the zen center
10/15 2pm the hunters talked to her
10/18 husband reported her missing
10/18 car located via air tag

Lane – a practicing Buddhist – took off to the Zen Center in Jemez Springs on Oct. 15.
Husband asks for help after wife goes missing in Jemez Mountains

some of the information in the DM articles comes from Ingrid's husband - not necessarily LE... note some of the attribution.

Chelsea is missing not in the same geographic area, but similar in topography and "wilderness" IMO. Following both is interesting, I agree.

This case also has some parallels with that of Esther Dingley. Could Ingrid have had a fall?
My take: I don't find any comparison in any feature to Esther Dingley. However, we do have many examples of women going missing in remote areas in the US with smashed-up cars. WS probably has several a year in this category, especially, it seems out West.

The West has many remote roads where it's easy to get lost, GPS sends you on wild routes, weather suddenly sets in, you can get spun off a gravel road, steep drop offs, fog, there's often a vague area between "lost" and "I'm done with life", etc.

That Ingrid didn't want a ride out, and was hellbent on getting to some peak or other, when her car was evidently pretty much disabled, sounds like being safe or getting found wouldn't be top priorities.

"She told them she had messed up her car, and she was looking to get to the top of the mountain," Scuderi said.

This statement worries me - clearly she knew her car was not in a good state / flat tire etc and she ignored the ride to continue to push to the top of mountain? Frame of mind seems a little off?
I would say neither the car nor Ingrid was in good shape. We also don't seem to have anyone from her visit to the Zen Center reporting her frame of mind.

Plus I’m not sure if it matters, but I’ve read both that the hunters aired the tire and that the spare was on the car. Wouldn’t the spare already have air in it? If the spare was put on, where is the original tire? Maybe the spare was already on the car. I’m confused about the condition of the car and how and when it ended up the way it did.
Snipped for focus

I took this to mean the spare was on the car. Perhaps another tire went flat.

One thing that happens out West IME, especially maybe to women, is that you can go driving while having a "big think". IME this doesn't work as well East, because there are people everywhere. But there is something meditative about driving, especially if the road doesn't go anywhere exactly (like a lot of dirt roads out West that originated for lumber hauling). Problem is, you can get distracted by your big think, have mechanical problems, spin off the road, run out of gas, stop for a nature call and break a leg, unwittingly get hung up in weather..... IMO in the absence of explanation, this could perhaps account for how many of these "woman missing from car in remote area" cases we get a year.

And we rarely know if substances are involved in these incidents.

The hunter's phone has to have picked up the air tag, and then maybe transmitted in town.
Find My Air Tag app

My point about the husband's inability to know her location was due to early speculation of what that implied.
It would seem that there is an acceptance that the victim acted of her own free will and that speculation was premature. MOO

A hunter's phone, IF it had service, can only detect the presence of an air tag and make it discoverable, only while they are near the victim's car. Someone else's phone elsewhere, would not know that the hunter's phone had detected an air tag.
The husband's location is not a factor, as long as he has service and the satellite can find the air tag via a connected phone close enough to the car. The air tag, as far as we know, was only registered to the husband's phone.

Last edited:
Find My Air Tag app

My point about the husband's inability to know her location was due to early speculation of what that implied.
It would seem that there is an acceptance that the victim acted of her own free will and that speculation was premature. MOO

A hunter's phone, IF it had service, can only detect the presence of an air tag and make it discoverable, only while they are near the victim's car. Someone else's phone elsewhere, would not know that the hunter's phone had detected an air tag.
The husband's location is not a factor, as long as he has service and the satellite can find the air tag via a connected phone close enough to the car. The air tag, as far as we know, was only registered to the husband's phone.
The Air Tag was registered to her husband, and not Ingrid? I was proceeding along the assumption that it was Ingrid's air tag.

Find My Air Tag app

Can you clarify? Are you saying the husband would be able to locate or wouldn’t be able to?

My understanding based on limited use of an AirTag is that the husband would be able to see where the AirTag was anytime it connected via Bluetooth. So as long as Ingrid had her phone near the AirTag he could see the location and anytime someone with Bluetooth on was in the vicinity it would indicate to the husband where the AirTag was. Is this correct?

Can you clarify? Are you saying the husband would be able to locate or wouldn’t be able to?

My understanding based on limited use of an AirTag is that the husband would be able to see where the AirTag was anytime it connected via Bluetooth. So as long as Ingrid had her phone near the AirTag he could see the location and anytime someone with Bluetooth on was in the vicinity it would indicate to the husband where the AirTag was. Is this correct?
I'm guessing Ingrid got a burner phone because she didn't have her iphone with her. This would defeat the purpose of the Air Tag (if hubby was trying to locate her), and would depend on someone else coming within blue tooth range, in this case, the hunters.

I'm guessing Ingrid got a burner phone because she didn't have her iphone with her. This would defeat the purpose of the Air Tag (if hubby was trying to locate her), and would depend on someone else coming within blue tooth range, in this case, the hunters.
I don’t think we can assume she lost/forgot her iPhone and bought a burner. Surely there would be a record of her buying a burner. Who buys a burner when they forget a phone when they are only an hour from home? Surely it’s cheaper/easier to just return home and grab her phone.

My understanding based on limited use of an AirTag is that the husband would be able to see where the AirTag was anytime it connected via Bluetooth. So as long as Ingrid had her phone near the AirTag he could see the location and anytime someone with Bluetooth on was in the vicinity it would indicate to the husband where the AirTag was. Is this correct"?

Another phone close enough to detect the air tag is not going to "indicate" anything to the husband or any other phone. They can be used as a "relay" for the satellite to find the air tag when the husband uses the app. Again, there is reportedly no cell service in that area. Her phone was off and is missing and she had purchased a burner phone. It appears that she, and/or the circumstances, made it impossible for the husband to find her via pinging either her phone or the air tag. Unless someone really believes the husband could be involved, it is not important and LE can verify the husband's phone activity. Bluetooth is only short-range radio waves, it lets devices close to each other to connect, which enables your iPhone to detect nearby air tags.

I don’t think we can assume she lost/forgot her iPhone and bought a burner. Surely there would be a record of her buying a burner. Who buys a burner when they forget a phone when they are only an hour from home? Surely it’s cheaper/easier to just return home and grab her phone.
UNQuote

NoSpoonFeeding says;
I can't get the reply function to work. Sorry for posting like I'm quoting the below post. Computer is misbehaving, edit to add, it looks to be fixed

Assume the starting point is in the area of the retreat, it would be about 2 and a half hours round trip. I think the husband would know if she left her phone at home, wouldn't she have called him and asked? If she lost it, there would be no point in heading back home, she would buy a cheap phone in case she needed it. The purchase would be easy to find if it was recent and along the route she drove. But that's not important, MOO, as it is a fact that a burner phone was in her car and her cell phone is "missing". She choose whether or not to share this information.

If one is concerned about foul play, then it occurred after the hunters had contact with her. It seems unlikely that she stayed with her disabled car for days, instead of hiking off as she indicated she was going to do, which meant she was not going to be seen/found, except by happenstance.

UNQuote

NoSpoonFeeding says;
I can't get the reply function to work. Sorry for posting like I'm quoting the below post. Computer is misbehaving, edit to add, it looks to be fixed

Assume the starting point is in the area of the retreat, it would be about 2 and a half hours round trip. I think the husband would know if she left her phone at home, wouldn't she have called him and asked? If she lost it, there would be no point in heading back home, she would buy a cheap phone in case she needed it. The purchase would be easy to find if it was recent and along the route she drove. But that's not important, MOO, as it is a fact that a burner phone was in her car and her cell phone is "missing". She choose whether or not to share this information.

If one is concerned about foul play, then it occurred after the hunters had contact with her. It seems unlikely that she stayed with her disabled car for days, instead of hiking off as she indicated she was going to do, which meant she was not going to be seen/found, except by happenstance.
In the realm of foul play, is it possible that she purchased the burner phone to go off grid but she was tracked to her location and prevented from doing so?

If she were ensconced in the zen place, would they be under obligation to say so? Not exactly a HIPPA situation but ...

Jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back