GUILTY NM - Omaree Varela, 9, called 911 before dying of abuse, Albuquerque, 27 Dec 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can't hear this interview other than blurred sounds. I can't distinguish one single word. Grrrrrrrrr.. Listening to C.Chatter. Tried another -- was no better, but I'll hang on.

Yeah, sound is crappy.

I can't hear this interview other than blurred sounds. I can't distinguish one single word. Grrrrrrrrr.. Listening to C.Chatter. Tried another -- was no better, but I'll hang on.

Sound is awful here too - seems like it's not much better for the jury. I hope they're able to fix it.

All I can really make out from the interview so far is the defendant SC yawning a lot, and practically laying his head down on the table - seeming really tired or really bored. I'm sorry to say, it's hard to tell which, IMO.

Sound is awful here too - seems like it's not much better for the jury. I hope they're able to fix it.

All I can really make out from the interview so far is the defendant SC yawning a lot, and practically laying his head down on the table - seeming really tired or really bored. I'm sorry to say, it's hard to tell which, IMO.

Yep, body language tells me he is:

Bored
Uninterested
Annoyed

what a piece of work this one...

Maybe it's just me, chiquita, but the bad sound during the trial may have lost some folks -- it lost me. I certainly will give it another try. It may be that the system needs a few tweaks which perhaps they can work out over the weekend & Monday.

Here's a (((hug))) or two, my Little Bean! :)

Court Chatter View
Stephen Casaus Trial Day 3 Part 1 09/04/15
[video=youtu;DykdiK6wF2c]http://youtu.be/DykdiK6wF2c[/video]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Court Chatter View

Stephen Casaus Trial Day 3 Part 2 09/04/15
[video=youtu;RxPOoBRY85M]http://youtu.be/RxPOoBRY85M[/video]

Court Chatter View

Stephen Casaus Trial Day 3 Part 3 09/04/15
[video=youtu;PJ2jvNzY5Nw]http://youtu.be/PJ2jvNzY5Nw[/video]

Court Chatter View

Stephen Casaus Trial Day 3 Part 4 09/04/15
[video=youtu;qf73olHEhf4]http://youtu.be/qf73olHEhf4[/video]

#JusticeForOmaree!!!!
:heartbeat:
:rose:

Maybe it's just me, chiquita, but the bad sound during the trial may have lost some folks -- it lost me. I certainly will give it another try. It may be that the system needs a few tweaks which perhaps they can work out over the weekend & Monday.

Here's a (((hug))) or two, my Little Bean! :)

I hope the sound is better on the youtube videos I just posted via Court Chatter View for Day 3. I was annoyed listening to the female defense attorney's cross exam of Omaree's sister but that's just me. :furious:

Bless her little :heart: - she's SO brave!!!!!

Thanks, Kimi, you are such a dear one. I can't hear anything except for very very faint sounds -- maybe it's me.

I'm listening to them again, kimi, and they're great!!! I don't know how you did it (you're just magic, but we already knew that!), but it's great -- so much better. Thanks, thanks! ;)

I'm listening to them again, kimi, and they're great!!! I don't know how you did it (you're just magic, but we already knew that!), but it's great -- so much better. Thanks, thanks! ;)

I could hear the sound through my head phones :earson: so I'm glad you can too borndem :heart:

These videos are SO tough to watch :tears:

I'm so glad to see Omaree's case being discussed here. I live in Albuquerque and have followed his case since the day he was killed. I feel terrible about his death, as any normal person would, but the case also holds my interest because I drive past the house they lived in every day, taking my children to and from their school, which is just two blocks away from where the family was living at the time. His house is on the main street and I go about a block past it for my turn-off to the school.

Someone upthread mentioned the neatness of the home, when the police went in with the lapel cam after Omaree called 911. I remember watching the video on the news in the wake of his death and it definitely did look like a neat house. I can tell you that the outside of the house is quite neat too, and stayed so even after the family left the house. I believe they were renting it. After Omaree died, there was a for-sale sign out front for months. I can only imagine that the owner of the house wanted to be rid of it. It's occupied now, by someone who obviously has kids. I look at the house every time I pass it. This past week, I saw children's bicycles in the front yard. It looks a bit shabbier than it did when Omaree lived there, but not much. It looks pretty normal for this area.

My older child, a boy, is about 18 months younger than Omaree. This past summer, my son had surgery on his kidneys and stayed in the hospital for several days, with a lot more recovery at home after that. He was virtually helpless and in a lot of pain. Knowing that Omaree suffered so much, at the hands of his own family, is really horrifying to me. Seeing my own child of the same age in pain, for a necessary reason, really drove it home.

It makes me sad too to think about the fact that Omaree lived and died so close to where my kids go to a truly wonderful alternative public school, which is out of our district but we chose it because the program is very good. Omaree did not attend our school; I think he attended the neighborhood school a couple of blocks in the other direction. We often take our kids to a small park right across the street from the school to play after school hours. I wonder if Omaree was ever taken to this park. I've wondered whether I may have ever seen him there but I can't remember. I hope he had a chance to play and have fun but I feel doubtful given what we know.

Sorry for writing such a rambling post. I just feel very connected to this child, almost haunted. It just feels so unbelievable that I drive past this house every day and he was in there. It really proves that you have no idea what goes on in someone else's home, behind closed doors. Unfortunately, it's probably happening in a lot of homes and I wish that weren't the case. I'm praying for justice for Omaree.

I'm so glad to see Omaree's case being discussed here. I live in Albuquerque and have followed his case since the day he was killed. I feel terrible about his death, as any normal person would, but the case also holds my interest because I drive past the house they lived in every day, taking my children to and from their school, which is just two blocks away from where the family was living at the time. His house is on the main street and I go about a block past it for my turn-off to the school.

Someone upthread mentioned the neatness of the home, when the police went in with the lapel cam after Omaree called 911. I remember watching the video on the news in the wake of his death and it definitely did look like a neat house. I can tell you that the outside of the house is quite neat too, and stayed so even after the family left the house. I believe they were renting it. After Omaree died, there was a for-sale sign out front for months. I can only imagine that the owner of the house wanted to be rid of it. It's occupied now, by someone who obviously has kids. I look at the house every time I pass it. This past week, I saw children's bicycles in the front yard. It looks a bit shabbier than it did when Omaree lived there, but not much. It looks pretty normal for this area.

My older child, a boy, is about 18 months younger than Omaree. This past summer, my son had surgery on his kidneys and stayed in the hospital for several days, with a lot more recovery at home after that. He was virtually helpless and in a lot of pain. Knowing that Omaree suffered so much, at the hands of his own family, is really horrifying to me. Seeing my own child of the same age in pain, for a necessary reason, really drove it home.

It makes me sad too to think about the fact that Omaree lived and died so close to where my kids go to a truly wonderful alternative public school, which is out of our district but we chose it because the program is very good. Omaree did not attend our school; I think he attended the neighborhood school a couple of blocks in the other direction. We often take our kids to a small park right across the street from the school to play after school hours. I wonder if Omaree was ever taken to this park. I've wondered whether I may have ever seen him there but I can't remember. I hope he had a chance to play and have fun but I feel doubtful given what we know.

Sorry for writing such a rambling post. I just feel very connected to this child, almost haunted. It just feels so unbelievable that I drive past this house every day and he was in there. It really proves that you have no idea what goes on in someone else's home, behind closed doors. Unfortunately, it's probably happening in a lot of homes and I wish that weren't the case. I'm praying for justice for Omaree.

Thank you for such a thoughtful post, with local insight, osadelnorte :heartluv: I wish your little one a speedy recovery :heartbeat:

I can't imagine what it must be like to live so close to where Omaree's home, knowing what we do now, and as more is revealed with each passing day in open court. It is truly heartbreaking for us from afar, and must be so much worse for you as a local :tears:

Omaree's life and his brutal death has brought many of us together. We are linked together in grief and advocacy. I know I will not rest until full and complete justice is served.

Thank you for joining us.

:welcome4:

:welcome: Welcome to this thread, osadelnorte! We are glad you're here with our little group.

And thank you for such an enlightening post. I'm sure you do get that feeling (difficult to describe, isn't it?) when you go by "his" house. And when he was there, the house didn't light up in lights or have an arrow or a sign saying, "A little boy is suffering here," so there would be no way folks like you could know. But some folks did. I guess they were "too busy" or too afraid to try to do something about it. At least he is away from it now -- no more fear, pain or wondering-why for little Omaree. Now it's time for at least some of those who were in charge of inflicting such torture or were aware of his horrible daily life are now starting to squirm a bit and perhaps aren't getting a good night's sleep. And I hope that continues for them for the rest of their lives. I just shake my head and try not to cry about it again.

Again, welcome, and help us witness for this child who apparently had no champions in his little corner. He now has the prosecutor's office, a jury, and some others close by, and he has us to pray and hope and be enraged for what happened to this little boy who was born pure and sweet and full of hope and happiness. Shame, shame on those who decided to crush that hope and happiness in ways that were so, so cruel. Yes, Omaree, we stand by for you. :justice:

Thank you both for the warm welcome, and for your kind words. I hope to see both "parents" in this case punished for what they did to Omaree. He really didn't stand a chance and as far as I'm concerned, his siblings were lucky to survive such a horrible environment. The police/CYFD side of this case frustrates me too. There are a lot of problems in this state and city and I know that a lot of children suffer. I hope for a major turnaround soon. I'll keep watching this thread as well as the local news, in the hopes that Omaree receives justice. Thank you all for your commitment to him.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter #CasausTrial - No Live Stream of this morning's motions hearing with judge & attorneys. Live stream will begin at 1:30 MDT when jury arrives

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley
State says Omaree's sister testified both mom and stepdad hurt Omaree. Says that's evidence. #CasausTrial

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley
Judges says there was clear testimony from Omaree's sister that mom and stepdad were involved. Said jury's call on credibility. #CasausTrial

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley
Defense plans on bringing in 2 witnesses this afternoon. #CasausTrial

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley
Judge did drop some of the charges. Multiple other charges stand.

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley
Laceration to head and bite mark charges dropped. Judge says too vague.

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley
At recess until 1:30. Jury will hear witnesses then.

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley
Malnourishment charges also dropped.

Thank you both for the warm welcome, and for your kind words. I hope to see both "parents" in this case punished for what they did to Omaree. He really didn't stand a chance and as far as I'm concerned, his siblings were lucky to survive such a horrible environment. The police/CYFD side of this case frustrates me too. There are a lot of problems in this state and city and I know that a lot of children suffer. I hope for a major turnaround soon. I'll keep watching this thread as well as the local news, in the hopes that Omaree receives justice. Thank you all for your commitment to him.

And thank you, osa, for being our person on the street, STS. You are close to it and you can feel the pulse of the place. Please keep your ear to the ground for us, and we'll keep our hopes up and our fingers crossed for justice. This little boy couldn't shout, so he whispered in the only way he could for help, and no one came. We're all hoping for justice for this little boy and his siblings.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayabusa1300
Back