GUILTY NM - Omaree Varela, 9, called 911 before dying of abuse, Albuquerque, 27 Dec 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I guess the woman on the stand (defense witness, a psychologist) is there to attack the daughter's memory?? She is talking about "false memories" of children. Grrrrr.

There must be a special garden where medical/psychological/psychiatric defense witnesses grow. So many of these witnesses don't always seem to be at the top of their fields.... thinking back to the JArias case, the JHolmes case for example... That's just my take on it and JMHO...

Cathy ‏@courtchatter [video=twitter;641633677634486273]https://twitter.com/courtchatter/status/641633677634486273[/video] #CasausTrial - Jury entering. Watch LIVE HERE http://www.courtchatter.com

Judge reading jury instructions

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 4m4 minutes ago #CasausTrial - Closing arguments will follow jury instructions.

Breakdown of the charges:

Count 1: Child Abuse (Intentionally Caused resulting in death) Defendant did intentionally place Omaree in a situation which endangered his life or health which resulted in death, to wit: physical abuse and/or striking the child. (This is the new count that was amended May 27, 2015. Previously it was worded "medical neglect")

Count 2: Child Abuse (Intentionally Caused no death or great bodily harm) Bruising

Count 3: Child Abuse (Intentionally Caused no death or great bodily harm) Burn on the chest

Count 4: DISMISSED - Child Abuse (Intentionally Caused no death or great bodily harm) Malnourishment

Count 5: DISMISSED - Child Abuse (Intentionally Caused no death or great bodily harm) Laceration on the head

Count 6: DISMISSED - Child Abuse (Intentionally Caused no death or great bodily harm) Bite Mark

Count 7: Tampering with Evidence - Cleaned Omaree and/or cleaned the home with the intent to prevent apprehension, prosecution or conviction

Count 8: Bribery Of A Witness - (Threats or Bribes - Threats or Bribes/Reporting) - Defendant did intimidate or threaten with the intent to keep N.V. (little sister) from truthfully reporting to officer or any agency what had happened

Count 9: Bribery Of A Witness - (Threats or Bribes - Threats or Bribes/Reporting) - Defendant did intimidate or threaten with the intent to keep E.V. (little brother) from truthfully reporting to officer or any agency what had happened.

And thank you, osa, for being our person on the street, STS. You are close to it and you can feel the pulse of the place. Please keep your ear to the ground for us, and we'll keep our hopes up and our fingers crossed for justice. This little boy couldn't shout, so he whispered in the only way he could for help, and no one came. We're all hoping for justice for this little boy and his siblings.

Will do. I said a prayer when I drove by yesterday afternoon and I thought of all of you too.

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley
State - because of the actions both parents took, he is now dead. #CasausTrial

Lysée Mitri ‏@lmitri_krqe
Prosecutor's closing arguments: [Casaus] acted in the kicking, punching and beating of Omaree

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaleyState also says Casaus did nothing to help save Omaree.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter
State: Cause the death in 2 different ways. 1st HE physically caused the death. 2nd - Medical neglect

Prosecutor: The defendant doomed him to die by failing to call 911... and failing to drive him to the hospital.

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley 1m1 minute ago Prosecutor - You can see that Stephen Casaus doesn’t care in that video.

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley 32s33 seconds ago
Prosecutor says lapel video catches Casaus in multiple lies.

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley 51s51 seconds ago
State says plenty of phones in house for Casaus to call 911 if he wanted to.

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley 51s51 seconds ago
State says plenty of phones in house for Casaus to call 911 if he wanted to.

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley 2m2 minutes ago
State describing how hard emergency responders worked to try and save Omaree.

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley
Defense just asked to approach judge in middle of State's argument.

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley
State continues argument. And are interrupted again by defense asking to approach the judge.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter
State: Casaus either recklessly caused or recklessly permitted the death of Omaree.

Prosecutor is now trying to clarify the "confusing instructions" as jury prepares to decide on 7 charges against Casaus.

Many more people watching from the courtroom today as jury listens intently to closing arguments.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter
State:I'm sure the defense is going to blame Synthia as being the primary actor in this but he had an obligation to protect OV

Lysée Mitri ‏@lmitri_krqe 9m9 minutes ago There was lots of testimony w/various estimates on how long parents waited to call 911. Prosecutor today says 3.5 hrs passed.

Lysée Mitri ‏@lmitri_krqe 8m8 minutes ago
Casaus' different stories about what happened led to varying estimates on how long parents waited to call 911.

Lysée Mitri ‏@lmitri_krqe 2m2 minutes ago
Prosecutor: Just because [Synthia] admitted to doing it doesn’t exclude [Casaus] from having any guilt. Both of them are guilty

Lysée Mitri ‏@lmitri_krqe 1m1 minute ago
Prosecutor on Omaree's parents: They both end up blaming each other in the end, and they’re both right.

Lysée Mitri ‏@lmitri_krqe 49s50 seconds ago
Prosecutor: They both have a motive to lie... to protect themselves. The only person that didn’t was [Omaree's sister].

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley 59s59 seconds ago
State just wrapped up. 10 minute break & then defense's turn for closing arguments.

Lysée Mitri ‏@lmitri_krqe · 43s44 seconds ago
Defense is beginning with its closing arguments now. Defense: Steve Casaus is not guilty.

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley · 45s45 seconds ago
Defense - Convicting an innocent man will not bring justice to Omaree.

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley · 58s58 seconds ago
Synthia's sister praying with people outside courtroom.

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley
The defense also bringing up testimony of Omaree's little sister. They say she mostly pointed to mom.

Even though the State brought in Omaree's sister as its witness, defense is using her testimony a lot in closing arguments.

Haley Rush ‏@krqehaley
Defense says Omaree's sister only draws Casaus hurting her brother after play date at DA's office, almost 20 months later.

Defense: [Omaree's sister] did not say dad did it… not until about 18 months later when she was re-interviewed.

Lysée Mitri ‏@lmitri_krqe Defense ends closing argument, saying "Let him go. Find him not guilty."

Lysée Mitri ‏@lmitri_krqe State follows up with final thoughts after Defense's argument, quoting from Omaree's sister's testimony.

VERDICT ‏@courtchatter2 #CasausTrial - We are in VERDICT watch. The jury began deliberations approximately 12:30pm MDT.

OMAREE VARELA MURDER | CLOSING ARGUMENTS PART 1

[video=youtube;qis4SdrN7QU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qis4SdrN7QU[/video]

:cheer: jacct:cheer: Thank you :tyou: for your tweet translations for us! I have been away, and your tweet-captures enabled me to get caught up with everyone else.

:justice: for Omaree, one of our newest angels.

OMAREE VARELA MURDER | CLOSING ARGUMENTS PART 2

[video=youtube;uVE5nmE9coA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVE5nmE9coA[/video]

Verdict today?? I think it's possible.

Court Chatter View
Stephen Casaus Trial Both Sides Rest Day 4 09/08/15
[video=youtu;asRFVYhkiXk]http://youtu.be/asRFVYhkiXk[/video]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online