NM NM - Patty Pritz, 14, & Mattie Restine, 13, Carlsbad, 11 Aug 1961 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the girls have bathing suits with them? Did they plan to swim or lay out while at the beach that day?[endquote]

There was a small amusement park at the beach area. I understand that is why the girls were at the beach area. They were seen by Linda Lou Roberts heading toward the beach on Church Street about 7:00 or 7:30 p.m.

No, the girls didn't have their swimsuits with them...the amusement park and the beach area were right there together. Church Street lead into the municipal park area.

Willie Blair mentioned in a statement something about picking his wife up from work...then changed it saying he had the wrong day. DB's ex-wife stated that Artell knew the judges in office at the time. She stated that one of the judges had been at the murder scene and within days Artell had given him a new pair of Tony Loma boots. Does anyone know where she was employed during this time?

2gone, from what I know about family dynamics in general, Patty's behavior was acting out her distress over her home life. It's a heck of a thing to have your own mother pull a gun on you and threaten you. That was stated in an earlier post. I just can't feel anything but sympathy for Patty. There's no telling what that child had to deal with in her short life. Children don't get to choose their parents, and all children are subject to the whims of their parents.

I feel for your father too. The law and lack of money had his hands tied to do anything positive for Patty, like get her and Connie out of that house.

It could've been also that Patty had her own ideas, and was a little rebel. I really don't know, but I prefer to think she was the way she was because of neglect and a lack of nurturing. Girls who are bonded with their families in a good way, are supported and know they are loved, don't have a need to go looking for love elsewhere or have to look for esteem outside of themselves. This is as true today as it was 50 years ago IMO.

It makes no sense to me for Patty to have been seen as a willing participant. Had she been alone, it might have, but with Mattie present it negates Patty being a willing participant IMO.
I truly believe Patty folded her own clothes to stall for time.

Hurricane she may have had her diary with her to prevent her mother from reading it. Also, somewhere it was mentioned the girls purchased some items from a store. This most likely would have been the bundle along with the diary.

Well, I may have to go back and change my likely scenario. If the killer was known to Patty would he have left that diary at the crime scene?
That sure wouldn't make a whole heck of alot of sense. In fact, it would be down right foolish, not to mention incriminating. Perhaps these murders were made to look like something other than what they were or the killer thought that's what he had accompished. Or perhaps these murders were carried out in such haste, the killer never saw the diary or didn't take time to check what Patty had with her.

If the bodies were moved, I'm thinking they were only moved a short distance, and that the murders likely occurred very near where the bodies were found. If there was blood in the car, then the killer and the car had to part company. Sending both to another state could have easily facilitated getting rid of the car. It most likely was abandoned or wrecked and abandoned, license plates removed.

OK, that makes sense then especially if the diary was small enough that she would normally carry it inside her purse. We know that Patty didn't have a beach bag since they didn't plan to swim. Which begs the question why was the diary found on top of the folded clothes and not in her purse? It could be that the perp took the time to peruse it's contents to see if it mentioned anything about him, especially if he had only had a relationship with Patty for a short time. He would not have to look back very far into the diary to see if he was mentioned. And if there is a missing page as 2gone suspects then that would tend to confirm that he removed a page which was written about him. If he took the diary and destroyed it later LE would soon learn that Patty had a diary and it was missing. (Everyone knows that Marlyn Monroe's diary has been missing since her death in 1962).

I too believe that Patty probably folded her own clothing as she undressed.

Questions for anyone:

What were the items that the girls had purchased that day, and are they missing?

Is there anything known that the girls should have had with them that is missing?

What time did the girls first get together for the day, prior to 2:30 p.m. when they stop and see Rice at McDonald's Dry Goods store?

What time and for how long were the girls at Patty's aunt's house?

OK, that makes sense then especially if the diary was small enough that she would normally carry it inside her purse. We know that Patty didn't have a beach bag since they didn't plan to swim. Which begs the question why was the diary found on top of the folded clothes and not in her purse? It could be that the perp took the time to peruse it's contents to see if it mentioned anything about him, especially if he had only had a relationship with Patty for a short time. He would not have to look back very far into the diary to see if he was mentioned. And if there is a missing page as 2gone suspects then that would tend to confirm that he removed a page which was written about him. If he took the diary and destroyed it later LE would soon learn that Patty had a diary and it was missing. (Everyone knows that Marlyn Monroe's diary has been missing since her death in 1962).

I too believe that Patty probably folded her own clothing as she undressed.

Questions for anyone:

What were the items that the girls had purchased that day, and are they missing?

Is there anything known that the girls should have had with them that is missing?

What time did the girls first get together for the day, prior to 2:30 p.m. when they stop and see Rice at McDonald's Dry Goods store?

What time and for how long were the girls at Patty's aunt's house?

If I remember correctly the girls left our house a little after noon...to go to Patty's house to get ready...so Patty could change her clothes. I remember my mother talked to Patty's mother on the phone to ask her about Connie going with the girls to the beach area...and Mrs. Davidson told her "yes" Connie was going with them...but when I talked to Connie several years ago she said she did not have a outing planned with Patty. That she had never been scheduled to go out with her to the beach area.

The whole incident could have been staged by the B. family, except for the part with Mattie. But if Patti was pregnant, like his 15 year old wife had been , that would have put the B family over the edge. What if patti had shown or told her anything like that in the diary? That may be why the diary page was missing. Maybe the mother has an evilness about her,masterminded and took all of her frustration and disappointment with her son's behaviour out on these two girls. She had all of the right connections to cover the tracks... and I heard it straight from a B. family member that Artell said "they will never solve this case nor find the weapon." She would never let her son talk alone with anyone once he was wheelchair bound. DB's ex wife and mom of his two children said he used to beat her before, during and after children came along and she believes he was capable without a doubt of committing the murders. For the sake of not ruining their lives and reputation plus fear of what Artell would do to her if she talked seems to make sense. Proving it is the problem.
I have so many conflicting ideas but this one is the one that makes most sense to me.
Why the ECSD doesn't want to get into this case again is another question.

I probably sound like an amatuer, which I am) to you guys. I have not had time to read all of the threads on this, so I am sorry if I may be repeating thoughts some of you have already posted.

As far as I know the diary was found at the crime scene.

Yes , but it was not just a diary, but a journal also yes.
sometimes she would take it with her, so she could write down what she was thinking,seeing, feeling, dreams about the future etc.
she take it along to write down in real time, and not just wait until it was bedtime to write things down from that day etc.

The whole incident could have been staged by the B. family, except for the part with Mattie. But if Patti was pregnant, like his 15 year old wife had been , that would have put the B family over the edge. What if patti had shown or told her anything like that in the diary? That may be why the diary page was missing. Maybe the mother has an evilness about her,masterminded and took all of her frustration and disappointment with her son's behaviour out on these two girls. She had all of the right connections to cover the tracks... and I heard it straight from a B. family member that Artell said "they will never solve this case nor find the weapon." She would never let her son talk alone with anyone once he was wheelchair bound. DB's ex wife and mom of his two children said he used to beat her before, during and after children came along and she believes he was capable without a doubt of committing the murders. For the sake of not ruining their lives and reputation plus fear of what Artell would do to her if she talked seems to make sense. Proving it is the problem.
I have so many conflicting ideas but this one is the one that makes most sense to me.
Why the ECSD doesn't want to get into this case again is another question.

I probably sound like an amatuer, which I am) to you guys. I have not had time to read all of the threads on this, so I am sorry if I may be repeating thoughts some of you have already posted.

I agree with you 2gone...

In the initial investigation of the crime scene, did LE take fingerprints from the diary or purse? Fingerprinting has been used in crime investigations since the 1800's, and were any hair samples confiscated? Sounds like a very lazy investigation or a cover-up indeed (missing evidence). Were the suspects ever tested for powder burns on their hands?
After some sleuthing I discovered that scalp hair samples have a 1 in 45,000 failure ratio and bite marks to the victim's body have a 1 in 2.5 Billion failure rate, and the longer the victim's hair is, the more history it can reveal where that person has been.
It also sounds to me like Artell was quite friendly with LE and judges, buying expensive gifts for favors perhaps? Tony Lama boots are not cheap nor were they in 1961.
I believe that Dan McGrew knew who killed the girls and he was very close to solving the murder when he was 'killed' and Titus was on the phone with him as assurance that Titus's hit had been executed. Did anyone investigate McGrew's "suicide" for powder burns? Now Titus won't cooperate UNLESS Artell is there? Why, so their stories corroberate? They should both be arrested now for suspicion of murder!

Page 3 Post #72 Please reread.#1..do you think that is just an error in the telling or any kind of slip up? "Buddy says McGrew admitted he killed the girls....Going to point #4 In these days is there any science that says bacteria destroys sperm after a lengthly time and would still leave the semen samples. Is there an age or time in a man's life that they stop producing sperm and still ejaculate just the semen. I am thinking of the age of the rapist at the time.

Yes, Titus and Artell should have to talk but that is the BIG problem in all of this. If anyone of you pick up the phone and call the Carlsbad Sheriff's department, New Mexico's D.A., or the FBI (who got back into looking at it (I think in 1973 can't be exact on the date) I promise you that you will get nowhere. Oh they may say they will look into it or something like that but you will not hear from them again and they will not ever return or answer your call. They say there has to be new evidence to reopen the case which I thought is still actually open. If only Nancy Grace or Greta could take hold of this story!

In the initial investigation of the crime scene, did LE take fingerprints from the diary or purse? Fingerprinting has been used in crime investigations since the 1800's, and were any hair samples confiscated? Sounds like a very lazy investigation or a cover-up indeed (missing evidence). Were the suspects ever tested for powder burns on their hands?
The first person to the crime scene was the B. boy's father, who was also very good friends with the sheriff. The reason he was out there was to do rabbit hunting, which we understand he had never done, hummmm....

Thanks for understanding about my dad (Patty's dad also) Though it wasn't talked about in my family all of the years it affected me in ways that could never be truly expressed to my mom and dad and now in a forum such as this. I was only 7 years old when Patty and Mattie were murdered. So, my life began at that age and I began the search at that young age, even though I didn't know it, for the person who murdered these girls.

I remember nothing before that and struggled to excel in school and pretty much became fixated (privately) on this incident. I really don't believe there was a day that I didn't wonder about all of this. I only wish our family could have discussed it or had some sort of counseling. Finally, at the age of 50 I stumbled upon Mattie's sister, thanks to the internet. I never even knew the "other girl's name". This did more good for me than 30 years of psychoanalization. I could not believe what I was hearing. I felt such shame that Mattie got messed up in Patty's dysfunctional family life and would have understood any hard feelings against Patty's family. Instead, Mattie's sister was kind and understood what happened to our family and why we were pretty much left out of the info of the case. She and I talked for hours over days and I felt much more closure and no hostility coming from Mattie's sister. I was mad as hell at what the truth was. I have nerve and neurological problems which are made worse by anxiety or stress so I go through periods of extreme interest in this case but then I get ill as I learn more and depressed with the nature of the handling of the case.

This is such a sad case....So many questions left unanswered....however as to Patti carrying her diary with her, for as a long as I can remember I have carried my journal with me, when I was younger in my over sized bag that I took with me everywhere and as I got older, in my purse. It's funny because my daughter has done the same thing, except she carries her journal and one of her many sketch books. So I do not find it odd that Patti had hers with her.

I was reading on the Topix thread and WoW is all I can say.....so much corruption within the town and county. Anne, have you tried to contact the vidocq society yet? They look at old, long cold cases and may have better luck working with LE. I would also start sending letters to state officials, local LE may not like it having Washington breathing down their backs.

I am still reading thru all of the scanned pages that Anne provided but some of the statements have raised a question. Where the families looked at? In particular Patti's step-dad? I find it funny that he does not want the case to be messed with and then when reading thru some of the reports one of the local teens called Rice(?) and said he had heard that Patti's step-dad had killed the girls. Now a days the family is always looked at first however I don't think that was the case back then.

Again that is only a question and I am not trying to put blame on the families, I am only curious since those statements where made back in 1961.

Yes , but it was not just a diary, but a journal also yes.
sometimes she would take it with her, so she could write down what she was thinking,seeing, feeling, dreams about the future etc.
she take it along to write down in real time, and not just wait until it was bedtime to write things down from that day etc.

How do you know this Mr. TT ? Did you see her diary/journal and what makes you say that she "sometimes would take it with her" ??

Page 3 Post #72 Please reread.#1..do you think that is just an error in the telling or any kind of slip up? "Buddy says McGrew admitted he killed the girls....Going to point #4 In these days is there any science that says bacteria destroys sperm after a lengthly time and would still leave the semen samples. Is there an age or time in a man's life that they stop producing sperm and still ejaculate just the semen. I am thinking of the age of the rapist at the time.
I have read it and re-read it, I do think it's accurate. Buddy Parsons was mentally challenged and set up to confess that he had killed the girls. Why would McGrew confess to a mentally incompetent person that he commited the murders? Parsons was released a short time later.
A man that has had a vasectomy does not release sperm with his semen. The spermatozoa of a regular man (without a vasectomy) dies within minutes depending on the environmental conditions and lose their motility (ability to swim) rapidly.....once the semen dies the sperm dies. I can conclude that the semen samples on the girls were already dried due to the environmental conditions.

2gone,

I am so glad that you found this site and have found the courage and strength to join Sunshine on this long journey to find answers for Patty and Mattie. I can not even begin to know the heartache and devastation that both families of these two young girls have had to endure and continue to this day to endure. So many unanswered questions…so many brick walls have been hit. So many lives destroyed or cut short due to the aftermath of this horrible crime.

Someone all those years ago thought they had “silenced” Patty and Mattie’s voices. But you and Sunshine have given them their voices back. We have all found out about this case in different ways, perhaps there are some that were alive back then…others have come to know it from the paper or different forums where Sunshine has fought so valiantly to keep this case open. There have been thousands of views of this thread which shows that others are joining in to strengthen Patty and Mattie’s voices.

It begins with two small voices crying out in the night not easily heard.

Then joined by another and another it starts to grow stronger.

Joined by our voice this cry becomes a roar so loud that no one can ignore.

I have a few questions after reading the report that was issued back in 2003. It states that autopsy's were done of the girls. I would think that if Patty was pregnant at the time of her death that it would have showed up in the autopsy. So has anyone seen the actual autopsy reports from 1961?

Also in regards to the DNA that was found on Mattie's clothes. The page where it was discussed was a little blurry on my end.... Did I read correctly that there was no male DNA found but there was female DNA found? If this is correct then those 7 1/2 boot prints that were found could have been made by a female. I wore a mens 7 for my combat boots when I was in the military.

So if D. Blair did commit the murders, it could have been his own mother who helped to move the girls to where they were found. Plus A. Blair has made some very off statements about the murders over the years. That is just my opinion.

Also is the group that Estrada worked with back in 2003 still looking into the case? Or did they ever do a report on what they all found out from their research? If so, Anne were you ever able to get a copy of it?

Again these are just a few of the questions that I have. I just don't know where to go with this case. Hopefully someone will make a statement before they leave this earth that will help lead to solving this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayraeyn123