GUILTY NM - Victoria Martens, 10, brutally murdered, Albuquerque, 23 Aug 2016 *Arrests* *2 guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Unbelievable! Who would imagine the mother would basically just tell them what they wanted to hear! Lots of poor judgement by LE according to this article. Without excusing their mistakes, I think it’s important to keep in mind that they were dealing with the brutal murder of a child, which is always particularly awful for LE, and they wanted to get to the bottom of it. Unfortunately, all-too-human error has wasted so much time and Victoria’s killer is still free. But Michele and her boyfriend should not be home free by any means.

APD detectives interviewed Martens knowing she was hit in the head with an iron hours earlier and may have been under the influence of drugs.

Also, the detectives that interviewed Martens were from APD’s Homicide Unit. Now, APD admits that detectives from the Crimes Against Children Unit may have been better prepared.

APD admits to mistakes in Victoria Martens murder case

District Attorney Raul Torrez said in a news conference Friday the state doesn’t have any evidence Martens was trafficking her daughter for sex. He said the STD found in Victoria’s body during an autopsy originated from a sexual assault that Martens had reported to authorities.
Expert: Martens' statements were 'contaminated'

Was it David Hernandez who gave Victoria the STD?

District Attorney Raul Torrez said in a news conference Friday the state doesn’t have any evidence Martens was trafficking her daughter for sex. He said the STD found in Victoria’s body during an autopsy originated from a sexual assault that Martens had reported to authorities.

Interesting thought..I checked into that a bit and found this article regarding the investigation of David Hernandez. Further supports the corruption with in the investigation regarding him.

“The Albuquerque police officer who lied to the media about APD’s efforts to contact Victoria Martens six months before the girl was drugged, raped and murdered has been transferred to the department’s DWI unit.”

“But no APD officer ever went to her home nor did they interview the 10-year-old or her mother, APD later admitted.”
Cop Who Lied About Victoria Martens Moved To DWI Unit | ABQ Free Press

Good question.

I want to know if the person reported for sexual assault has been charged or if they are getting away with this due to her mother being a totally unreliable witness.

This is one of the most horrific and horrendous cases I have ever encountered. Victoria has been failed by everybody and it makes you desperately sad.

Good question.

I want to know if the person reported for sexual assault has been charged or if they are getting away with this due to her mother being a totally unreliable witness.

This is one of the most horrific and horrendous cases I have ever encountered. Victoria has been failed by everybody and it makes you desperately sad.

Yes it is so hard to attempt to understand a mother’s thought process when she describes such morbid and graphic detail of Victoria’s death. How in the World do you put together such a horrendous crime against your child?

It’s also hard to accept the fact that all the professionals involved stumbled over this case and others regarding this child.

The reason I asked about Hernandez; Michelle "confessed" she invited men to have sex with Victoria. But now APD is saying that was also a false confession. In my understanding, they say there is "no evidence" of the trafficking. What exactly does that mean? Only that she originally told them she used a computer to contact men and invite them? Obviously that doesn't mean it could not have happened. She could have made contact and arrangements in many other ways. I think the mishandling of this case is allowing Victoria's egg donor to skate.

Yes, so many failed this child Sanz. You forgot to mention her Grandparents, who filed a wrongful death suit against the City of Albuquerque. I'll say nothing further, as I don't want a time out.
City fires back after Victoria Martens’ grandparents file civil lawsuit

Withdrawing the trafficking statement just makes her look like a bigger liar. That little girl's autopsy showed
Chronic inflammation & fibrosis in her vagina.
Chronic inflammation in her rectum.
Squamous cell lesions secondary to HPV infection in her rectum. This means the initial abuse was not recent. It also means that she was assaulted numerous times.

But mummy didn't know, yeah sure.

The reason I asked about Hernandez; Michelle "confessed" she invited men to have sex with Victoria. But now APD is saying that was also a false confession. In my understanding, they say there is "no evidence" of the trafficking. What exactly does that mean? Only that she originally told them she used a computer to contact men and invite them? Obviously that doesn't mean it could not have happened. She could have made contact and arrangements in many other ways. I think the mishandling of this case is allowing Victoria's egg donor to skate.

Yes, so many failed this child Sanz. You forgot to mention her Grandparents, who filed a wrongful death suit against the City of Albuquerque. I'll say nothing further, as I don't want a time out.
City fires back after Victoria Martens’ grandparents file civil lawsuit

Exactly! But what about the neighbors eyewitness testimony in the police report? Are they discredited also?

This case is so overwhelming that I stopped following it for a short while (overwhelming in the sense that what happened to Victoria is just too much to think about on a frequent basis without really taking a toll on you) and I’m just now catching up. What craziness! Wow.

I've followed this story from the beginning, and here's one thing that bugs me. So they figure out that 90% of the story was false, because Michelle Martens is compelled or predisposed or whatever to make crap up. Fair enough. But then they offer her a plea deal based on her willingness to provide statements about the other two suspects.

I mean, can we trust her statements at all? I get that she was hit in the head with an iron and high on weed and tacos when the cops questioned her. But, I mean, does her plea deal specify that she is to be questioned when she's sane, stable, and by unbiased investigators unlikely to lead her in random directions?

I dunno. It's just, like, one minute everyone's, like, "This b*tch led us on a wild goose chase for two years," and then they're, like, "Oh, she's the state's star witness."

Excellent point. She has no credibility.

I've followed this story from the beginning, and here's one thing that bugs me. So they figure out that 90% of the story was false, because Michelle Martens is compelled or predisposed or whatever to make crap up. Fair enough. But then they offer her a plea deal based on her willingness to provide statements about the other two suspects.

I mean, can we trust her statements at all? I get that she was hit in the head with an iron and high on weed and tacos when the cops questioned her. But, I mean, does her plea deal specify that she is to be questioned when she's sane, stable, and by unbiased investigators unlikely to lead her in random directions?

I dunno. It's just, like, one minute everyone's, like, "This b*tch led us on a wild goose chase for two years," and then they're, like, "Oh, she's the state's star witness."

I agree that she has zero credibility. I would be very interested to read a psychological assessment of her. I know and believe that people can be forced or coerced or manipulated into false confessions — but... like, the DEGREE of awfulness that she confessed to is almost unreal to me. Not only saying she murdered her child, but also that she participated in her child’s sexual violation on multiple occasions, AND then adding that she got pleasure from it? I’m not saying those aren’t lies so much as I’m saying it’s *nuts* to me that she fabricated so much horrendous stuff & willingly implicated herself in it.

I did miss some discussion earlier in the thread, so apologies if I’m treading on old ground. Is the primary theory that she & FG lied to protect this unnamed male (or out of fear of him)?

The Victoria Martens Case: 'We want to make it right for this little girl'

^^^

A July 8 article that I haven’t seen linked on the thread yet (apologies if overlooked).

A couple quotes that struck me:

“A forensic psychiatrist working with the DA’s office told the Journal that Martens’ statement was contaminated by the detectives’ questions and that she didn’t realize she was incriminating herself in the crime. He also said she is incredibly passive and naive and was in denial about what had happened.”

“Rose described a more recent interaction with Martens, saying she still doesn’t act like most people do.

She is “just unique in a way I haven’t seen before,” Rose said.”

“Meanwhile, he said, re-interviewing witnesses revealed obvious discrepancies between Martens’ account and what was seen that night. Witnesses recalled seeing Victoria’s lifeless body, wrapped in blankets, being carried down the outside steps of the apartment building, then back inside around 8:45 p.m. – about the time Martens and Gonzales returned to the apartment complex....”

I’m not in the business of trashing police departments or individual officers for sure. But, man, between this case and some of the others out of NM in recent years, it seems like the APD struggles at times & I sincerely hope that the officers there are given whatever additional training and resources they may need to better serve the community.

I’m not in the business of trashing police departments or individual officers for sure. But, man, between this case and some of the others out of NM in recent years, it seems like the APD struggles at times & I sincerely hope that the officers there are given whatever additional training and resources they may need to better serve the community.

It's dire throughout the state but especially Albuquerque, you're right. It's gotten worse the last 10-15 years and dramatically so the last five, I think. It seems like you're probably familiar with the history and current situation the city and APD are in?

It's going to be a long slog through the sewers for the city to recover. The new mayor and staff have already started making some dramatic changes, though, so maybe! (I hope) things will turn around. Any steps forward at ALL are welcome after the last few years of the city going to rot and people suffering (including these poor children).

Absolutely, I hope there’s rapid improvement for everyone’s benefit. I’m familiar with the struggles as an outsider, if that makes sense. I’m not a resident or an expert in policing, etc. ADP has drawn so much focus and criticism for... a lot of stuff, but especially alleged corruption and officer involved shootings and that’s the reason why I started paying attention. It can be really crippling from there to be so little trust (and understandably so a lot of the time) between police and citizens. We have a similar problem in Baltimore, just makes everything harder for everyone involved and leaves victims without justice way too often.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back