NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't he say LE had confirmed that? Surely the family wasn't able to do that on their own. They got the information somewhere!

I don't think they would misquote LE in front of them at the presser. We need to go back at look at the articles in the media.

This is scary. SK could have traveled anywhere in the US by Greyhound, and not be tracked at all. Well, maybe by the driver, or other passengers.

I've never traveled by Greyhound bus, but maybe someone here has or knows someone who has recently. That could be a very scary trip knowing that there could be all sorts of people traveling with you. i.e. criminals, others who are hiding their identity, etc.

I haven't travelled by bus in decades--- they didn't need ID then and I was a minor. Good job SC.

Okay - SORRY! I guess I had assumed LE had actually done their jobs, but I guess that's not even possible if the missing person hit the road by bus.

Honestly, if any Tom, Dick, Harry or Steven is free to travel by bus totally off record, we have a Homeland Security issue that's waaaaaaaaaaay bigger than one missing man. IMO.

But I digress. Obviously, Steven could have left Vegas/Henderson via Greyhound to Anywhere, USA and no one would be the wiser.

Bus tickets are cheap.

Seems we're moving further and further away from the answer to this mystery by the day.

Fairy, did LE speak before the presser was taped--before the K's?

Everytime we try to talk about the drug angle it gets shot down because some think " Steven wouldn't do that".

I think he very well could do that.

Agree. What was the mysterious "something" he took to make him feel better? Ecstasy? Prescription drugs are now bigger problems than heroin or cocaine. You have every age group from teeny bopper to grandma abusing them.

Please tell me what this PI is doing that we don't do?

He was or still is getting paid.

I wonder how much he charged for that theater, (oh I'm sorry it was the public search) in the field by the airport?

I find it ludicrous that anyone would think that Steven, who did not live in Vegas, stayed at a motel in Whitney Ranch, went out for a morning walk, and stumbled upon a meth lab and was killed for it.

You mean to say no real neighbors of the owner of the meth lab stumbled across it? Police never stumbled upon it? No, Steven Koecher, on a morning stroll stumbles upon a meth lab and is murdered.

You can even remove Whitney Ranch and say any location in Vegas.

The scenario is preposterous.

Is the marijuana for consumption or sale? My elderly uncle was making jokes about growing plants once the medical marijuana law is in place here in the NE...

I would say the fundamentals havn't been covered on information that hasn't been made available and should have been. If not for swjaxon I would have bailed awhile back and let whoever has the information sit on it or whatever they're doing. They after all are supposed to be the people affected by SK's disappearance.

jaxon has seen (lists of) thousands of emails of SK's, but we are told elsewhere he didn't have an internet connection at rented room. That right there ought to be a red flag that I wouldn't pass until contradiction explained. Thousands of emails say who he was in communiction with, when (which implies to some degree where), and what about, and we have zero information on that because "SK didn't have an internet connection".

If the emails are old then fine, but it also doesn't mean squat as far as that they are 99% oriented to job hunting. That was old also. If they are recent then the guy had to be living in libraries to send many emails with allegedly no internet connection. They say things about what his most recent communications were. To have some blanket "they don't tell us anything" is from quite frankly people that don't know what they're talking about. If they want to sit on it, fine, but I'm not wasting my time on them.

There are dial-up internet connections which I have used as recently as two years ago and still have as far as that goes (I have many computers and internet providers and modes of communication - the gamut, I had my reasons for it). Dial-up is serviceable for email but does require a landline for local calls which he may not have had access to at the rental. But the emails will tell that.

My thanks to swjaxon for insight that puts into doubt so many things we have been told, basically don't worry about it, just look for Steven.

I think the people here have done more without withheld information than anything I've seen before. My hat's off to this group.

rd

I would say the fundamentals havn't been covered on information that hasn't been made available and should have been. If not for swjaxon I would have bailed awhile back and let whoever has the information sit on it or whatever they're doing. They after all are supposed to be the people affected by SK's disappearance.

jaxon has seen (lists of) thousands of emails of SK's, but we are told elsewhere he didn't have an internet connection at rented room. That right there ought to be a red flag that I wouldn't pass until contradiction explained. Thousands of emails say who he was in communiction with, when (which implies to some degree where), and what about, and we have zero information on that because "SK didn't have an internet connection".

If the emails are old then fine, but it also doesn't mean squat as far as that they are 99% oriented to job hunting. That was old also. If they are recent then the guy had to be living in libraries to send many emails with allegedly no internet connection. They say things about what his most recent communications were. To have some blanket "they don't tell us anything" is from quite frankly people that don't know what they're talking about. If they want to sit on it, fine, but I'm not wasting my time on them.

There are dial-up internet connections which I have used as recently as two years ago and still have as far as that goes (I have many computers and internet providers and modes of communication - the gamut, I had my reasons for it). Dial-up is serviceable for email but does require a landline for local calls which he may not have had access to at the rental. But the emails will tell that.

My thanks to swjaxon for insight that puts into doubt so many things we have been told, basically don't worry about it, just look for Steven.

I think the people here have done more without withheld information than anything I've seen before. My hat's off to this group.

rd

the lack of candor and disclosure is quite discouraging.

So, SK must have had a wireless thingy right? Not necessarily a router, but a card right? Cause you can buy that stuff anywhere...what if he had a portable hard drive as well that was in his portfolio/satchel??

I need more coffee, lol-a flash drive is a thought too right?

There was a scary one, just over two weeks ago; I know we heard it on CNN and MSNBC as we were driving home from Oklahoma: New York Daily News

Updated: Thursday, May 6th 2010, 4:58 PM
PORTSMOUTH, N.H. - A nine-hour bomb scare aboard a Maine-to-New York Greyhound bus ended peacefully Thursday night when the lone remaining passenger walked off it with his hands over his head. The other 16 passengers and the driver had left the bus safely hours earlier.

Yeah, but that incident had nothing whatsoever to do with ID or safety, it was a paranoid bus driver overreacting to a passenger he thought looked Muslim. A very nasty incident of racial ethnic profiling. The guy's English wasn't good and he was terrified to come out because he thought he was going to be sent to Guantanamo Bay.

I find it ludicrous that anyone would think that Steven, who did not live in Vegas, stayed at a motel in Whitney Ranch, went out for a morning walk, and stumbled upon a meth lab and was killed for it.

You mean to say no real neighbors of the owner of the meth lab stumbled across it? Police never stumbled upon it? No, Steven Koecher, on a morning stroll stumbles upon a meth lab and is murdered.

You can even remove Whitney Ranch and say any location in Vegas.

The scenario is preposterous.

Feb. 2010 article about grow houses in Las Vegas:

http://www.8newsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=11936624

"This is easily connected to home invasions, robberies, homicides, kidnappings," said Metro Lt. Laz Chavez.

Almost without exception, police find powerful firearms in grow houses. And with so much money on the line, those in the business aren't afraid to use them.

Metro says at least seven homicides in 2009 are linked to the trade.

Two brothers who supposedly shot a burglar in their yard at Cheyenne and Buffalo in October of 2009 were apparently protecting their pot farm from a rival.

An 8-year-old girl was gunned down in North Las Vegas by men who wanted to kill her father.

A rolling gun battle through a crowded neighborhood near Decatur and Sahara in August saw three people shot, one fatally.

"These people are violent. They are out to make money. They are no different than any other aspect of drug dealing. Let's not get complacent because it's marijuana," said Sheriff Gillespie.

A related article about the marijuana growers, including this:

"On the same afternoon off Blue Diamond Road, hikers found and reported piles of discarded marijuana -- some of it already harvested, leftovers from an unknown grow operation."

http://www.8newsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=11941949

Feb. 2010 article about grow houses in Las Vegas:

http://www.8newsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=11936624

"This is easily connected to home invasions, robberies, homicides, kidnappings," said Metro Lt. Laz Chavez.

Almost without exception, police find powerful firearms in grow houses. And with so much money on the line, those in the business aren't afraid to use them.

Metro says at least seven homicides in 2009 are linked to the trade.

Two brothers who supposedly shot a burglar in their yard at Cheyenne and Buffalo in October of 2009 were apparently protecting their pot farm from a rival.

An 8-year-old girl was gunned down in North Las Vegas by men who wanted to kill her father.

A rolling gun battle through a crowded neighborhood near Decatur and Sahara in August saw three people shot, one fatally.

"These people are violent. They are out to make money. They are no different than any other aspect of drug dealing. Let's not get complacent because it's marijuana," said Sheriff Gillespie.

A related article about the marijuana growers, including this:

"On the same afternoon off Blue Diamond Road, hikers found and reported piles of discarded marijuana -- some of it already harvested, leftovers from an unknown grow operation."

http://www.8newsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=11941949

none of these cases are anything at all like what has been discussed here. What some have theorized is that Steven was causally strolling down the street, saw something he should not have seen and was murdered for it.

case 1. here involved pot growers shooting a burglar. I doubt Steven was a burglar.

case 2. here involved a revenge killing where the children were targeted based on who their father was.

case 3. here involved a gun battle that took out innocent people.

From what I could gather bodies were all recovered. If Steven witnessed something ANYONE walking their dog could have done the same and the area would be a ghost town by now with missing persons.

I could almost believe an alien abduction over some of the theories being thrown about here.

I guess it is time for me to go into hibernation again until more facts surface. I really had hoped the ping data would have led to better discussions here but I guess I underestimated the resistance of those who absolutely want to believe he is dead.

I guess it is time for me to go into hibernation again until more facts surface. I really had hoped the ping data would have led to better discussions here but I guess I underestimated the resistance of those who absolutely want to believe he is dead.

...and there's resistance from the side that believes he ran off with some wealthy person, who'd take care of him.

The only people I know who take in a younger person (ie, gigolo) are those who want to show the younger person off. The younger person would be handsome, talented, fashionable .... and a good party talker/entertainer.

Not to be rude or anything, but I don't see Steven filling any of those roles (willingly or not).

...and there's resistance from the side that believes he ran off with some wealthy person, who'd take care of him.

The only people I know who take in a younger person (ie, gigolo) are those who want to show the younger person off. The younger person would be handsome, talented, fashionable .... and a good party talker/entertainer.

Not to be rude or anything, but I don't see Steven filling any of those roles (willingly or not).

The possible scenarios are more diverse than just what you have described. However, I'm not a statistician so I cannot state how common or rare it is for someone to disappear in broad daylight and be murdered where there are no factors such as revenge, lover's quarrel's, financial gain (to the killer) or the like. Steven had nothing to his name and from all accounts he not a criminal at all.

It made no sense that he was duped into a side job in SCA. If he was looking at Craigslist or the like, why is it not in the usage history on the computer? We still don't know what is on there and the fact that no one is sharing any of it leads me to believe there is something they consider embarrassing.

Do they really want to find him alive? Who cares about embarassment? They refuse to share anything that might be considered negative and focus on what a good church-going guy he was looking for work. So they would rather believe that their "good" family member is dead rather than have people look for him (dead or alive) with any perceived stain on his reputation.
Unless people know where to look for him, then it makes it pretty difficult to find him. This includes whether people like to drink, gamble, go to strip clubs, gay or straight dating sites, dreams of travel or career change or the like.

So long as the family and their minions keep secrets, then he will remain unfound.

The possible scenarios are more diverse than just what you have described. However, I'm not a statistician so I cannot state how common or rare it is for someone to disappear in broad daylight and be murdered where there are no factors such as revenge, lover's quarrel's, financial gain (to the killer) or the like. Steven had nothing to his name and from all accounts he not a criminal at all.

It made no sense that he was duped into a side job in SCA. If he was looking at Craigslist or the like, why is it not in the usage history on the computer?

But doesn't the same apply, to a case of him meeting someone he can run off with? He had to have met that person somehow. If it was face-to-face through an acquaintance, where's the other person also hiding? The theory that a family friend is hiding him from his family or from his religion, is a preposterous non-starter. (He was already hundreds of miles away from the family home, with only a weekly call between SK and his parents.)

We still don't know what is on there and the fact that no one is sharing any of it leads me to believe there is something they consider embarrassing.

Do they really want to find him alive? Who cares about embarassment? They refuse to share anything that might be considered negative and focus on what a good church-going guy he was looking for work. So they would rather believe that their "good" family member is dead rather than have people look for him (dead or alive) with any perceived stain on his reputation.
Unless people know where to look for him, then it makes it pretty difficult to find him. This includes whether people like to drink, gamble, go to strip clubs, gay or straight dating sites, dreams of travel or career change or the like.

So long as the family and their minions keep secrets, then he will remain unfound.

Not sure who the minions would be, but it's possible that his family doesn't recognize certain things that would tip others off.

NO ONE here wants SK to be dead. But we do have to keep ourselves open to all possibilities, because so far, there's no evidence that tips the scales towards walking away, a crime, or suicide.

So, SK must have had a wireless thingy right? Not necessarily a router, but a card right? Cause you can buy that stuff anywhere...what if he had a portable hard drive as well that was in his portfolio/satchel??

wireless is very expensive, about $60 a month for me for example with Sprint. That's the 3G wireless that works anywhere (a cellphone modem essentially.)

Of course the wifi doesn't cost anything if he took his laptop to free wifi hotspots. And dialup over a paid for landline is inexpesive, $10 to $20 per month for the dialup internet. That's the kind of things we would be able to determine with information about his emails and laptop which have essentially been discarded as a source of information about what may have happened to Steven. That should be a serious responsibility undertaken by whoever kept his laptop.

rd

wireless is very expensive, about $60 a month for me for example with Sprint. That's the 3G wireless that works anywhere (a cellphone modem essentially.)

Of course the wifi doesn't cost anything if he took his laptop to free wifi hotspots. And dialup over a paid for landline is inexpesive, $10 to $20 per month for the dialup internet. That's the kind of things we would be able to determine with information about his emails and laptop which have essentially been discarded as a source of information about what may have happened to Steven. That should be a serious responsibility undertaken by whoever kept his laptop.

rd

Dial-up?
According to the landlady, there was no landline in the home...so that would rule out dial-up.

Wifi hotspots?
I tend to think that someone who drives to Vegas, but doesn't take their notebook computer with them, doesn't use wifi hotspots much.

Wifi/MyFi card?
With his financial situation, $60 a month is a lot.

Snail mail?
There was "a stack" of unsent job apps in his apartment. That indicates he was planning on mailing out applications, with info gained from the phone book or newspaper.

It'd be interesting to know how many of the "thousands" of email job applications were produced AFTER he moved to St George. I'll bet very few.

It seems he was really good at producing job apps. Not good at actually seeking a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14