NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would so love it if gsmith would come on and let us know what bus routes were the focus of the search that weekend. I don't care why, just where!

I'm beginning to believe they don't want others looking for Steven.....

I'm beginning to believe they don't want others looking for Steven.....

That's not true, although it may seem that way. Since the reward was announced, they've been victimized with false leads and tips, by people making outrageous claims. It's funny what people will do, to claim a reward. We've seen some of it here recently, and that's only the surface.

I think the family's been jerked around so much lately, they've got whiplash.

This post from gsmith says they rode the 109 based on a bus driver thinking he recognized Steven's pic.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #15

Yes, the 109 and IIRC, the 113. Both are in Las Vegas (not Henderson), and I've been by both. I would just like to know in what areas the other riders were in.

I find it very hard to believe these rides were not based on some kind of tip. It was very hot and humid (for us anyway) when they were riding those buses. Seems to me they must have had a reason.

If they don't want others to be looking for Steven, I wish they would say so. I look for him everywhere I go!

That's not true, although it may seem that way. Since the reward was announced, they've been victimized with false leads and tips, by people making outrageous claims. It's funny what people will do, to claim a reward. We've seen some of it here recently, and that's only the surface.

I don't blame them for not trusting anybody, given some of the stupid things that have gone down here and elsewhere.

I understand all of that. But if the tips don't lead to Steven, NO ONE IS GOING TO GET THE REWARD!

Oh dear. Maybe they should take down the reward. What the heck good does it do to call in a false lead?

I would so love it if gsmith would come on and let us know what bus routes were the focus of the search that weekend. I don't care why, just where!

I was just a searcher and didn't see the list of bus routes so I don't know. I do know that one of the buses I rode wasn't on their list. In my opinion, it should have been. It was a very busy bus.

I was just a searcher and didn't see the list of bus routes so I don't know. I do know that one of the buses I rode wasn't on their list. In my opinion, it should have been. It was a very busy bus.

Thank you so much, gsmith. I'm here, every day, and I can search for Steven at the bus stops - especially during the weekdays.

I know, from the bus searchers, that many others stepped up and, hopefully, are still looking for Steven.

If we could just narrow it down a bit......

Thank you so much, gsmith. I'm here, every day, and I can search for Steven at the bus stops - especially during the weekdays.

I know, from the bus searchers, that many others stepped up and, hopefully, are still looking for Steven.

If we could just narrow it down a bit......

It's hard to find a moving target (ie, bus rider).

If Steven's going to be found riding a bus, wouldn't that mean he's a regular rider, with a job or frequent destination, able to pay for the bus fares? In control of his own movements? Able to be found, if he wanted to be found?

I've re-sent the link to the Salvation Army "missing persons" search to Steven's family -- this time, through a third party. It's very different than searching one town's SA, and has application forms and privacy rules.

I guess the blood plasma centers were checked during the bus search. gsmith indicated at least one of the two would be.

It's hard to find a moving target (ie, bus rider).

If Steven's going to be found riding a bus, wouldn't that mean he's a regular rider, with a job or frequent destination, able to pay for the bus fares? In control of his own movements? Able to be found, if he wanted to be found?

I've re-sent the link to the Salvation Army "missing persons" search to Steven's family -- this time, through a third party. It's very different than searching one town's SA, and has application forms and privacy rules.

I guess the blood plasma centers were checked during the bus search. gsmith indicated at least one of the two would be.

It's actually surprisingly easy to find someone on public transportation, if you have time to ride the route several times. You get to know the regulars, the parts of town, where the college kids get on and where the down on their luck hang out. Somebody new is quite noticeable.

If this is Steven we're getting reports of, it sounds like he's finding enough work that he can live a basic lifestyle, cheap place to crash and all that. And yes, able to be found if he wanted to be found.

It's actually surprisingly easy to find someone on public transportation, if you have time to ride the route several times. You get to know the regulars, the parts of town, where the college kids get on and where the down on their luck hang out. Somebody new is quite noticeable.

If this is Steven we're getting reports of, it sounds like he's finding enough work that he can live a basic lifestyle, cheap place to crash and all that. And yes, able to be found if he wanted to be found.

In which case, maybe quieting the search in the Vegas area, might cause him to surface? (The publicized bus search, if someone didn't want to be found, might have kept them OFF the buses those days???)

But I think it was a brilliant idea to do the bus search; talking to the regular passengers and drivers, at least brought out one tip: "are you hiring?"

In which case, maybe quieting the search in the Vegas area, might cause him to surface? (The publicized bus search, if someone didn't want to be found, might have kept them OFF the buses those days???)

But I think it was a brilliant idea to do the bus search; talking to the regular passengers and drivers, at least brought out one tip: "are you hiring?"

Yes, that was a really great idea. And yes, I think keeping it lower key might well produce better results.

Yes, that was a really great idea. And yes, I think keeping it lower key might well produce better results.

I'm just kinda wondering this: if Live Steven is in Vegas or elsewhere doing his thing, maybe he'd rather return home (or make contact) when things are quiet. No publicity. Just be able to walk in the door without a lot of people and media questioning anything. His name quietly removed from the missing persons lists, without anyone questioning what happened.

I'm not saying we should stop looking; maybe just not publicize the searches and efforts.

But...after saying that, I just had a publicity idea ;)

Is there a "certain someone" who could lure Steven back? A girl or special friend, someone he dated or just had a crush on. The unrequired love thing. I'll bet there is.

What IF that person appeared on TV, making a short statement asking him to come home or make contact? It could be tastefully done. Even dedicate a special song to him. Put it on youtube.

I know....I'm at opposite thoughts.

That's why I was asking why publicize the search when they first announced it, but I got to thinking they had "been quiet" for awhile and he didn't come forward, so maybe they wanted to try again publicly to let him know they were still actively looking and concerned.

If Steven has been OK since December, I think he may be pretty well settled in----planned and by choice....and may have a new person in his life--- he would have already decided to leave his past behind on Dec. 13th.

All he would have to do is google his name and he would know exactly what is going on between us and his FB page.

If the PI did find him, would he need to tell where he was since he's working for the family or would he be required to just let them know he is OK if it was SK's wish to be left alone?

I'm just kinda wondering this: if Live Steven is in Vegas or elsewhere doing his thing, maybe he'd rather return home (or make contact) when things are quiet. No publicity. Just be able to walk in the door without a lot of people and media questioning anything. His name quietly removed from the missing persons lists, without anyone questioning what happened.

I'm not saying we should stop looking; maybe just not publicize the searches and efforts.

But...after saying that, I just had a publicity idea ;)

Is there a "certain someone" who could lure Steven back? A girl or special friend, someone he dated or just had a crush on. The unrequired love thing. I'll bet there is.

What IF that person appeared on TV, making a short statement asking him to come home or make contact? It could be tastefully done. Even dedicate a special song to him. Put it on youtube.

I know....I'm at opposite thoughts.

The publicity thing is a double-edged sword, for sure. I can totally understand the 2 schools of thought. If made public, it could scare him away and into hiding - if he doesn't want to be found. But couldn't it also prompt him to CALL his family and say I'm okay - please stop looking for me?

And any time there is new publicity, it gets Steven's face out there again. What if he's not of sound mind? I think it's better to have more people who know what he looks like and that he is a "missing person."

If the publicity does scare him away, it's because he doesn't want to be found, IMO.

The publicity thing is a double-edged sword, for sure. I can totally understand the 2 schools of thought. If made public, it could scare him away and into hiding - if he doesn't want to be found. But couldn't it also prompt him to CALL his family and say I'm okay - please stop looking for me?

It hasn't, yet.

Was it Believe09 who called it a "malicious disappearance"? I think that's correct. Purposely walking out on family and friends is nothing but a stab in their hearts (almost as cruel as suicide, IMO).

Someone in a malicious disappearance would take vicarious pleasure in watching people search for them, knowing they were getting away with it (and "getting even" for perceived wrongs)i.

And any time there is new publicity, it gets Steven's face out there again. What if he's not of sound mind? I think it's better to have more people who know what he looks like and that he is a "missing person."

If he's not of sound mind, he's been out there for 7.5 months without being murdered, arrested, beaten up, required medical care, ised a soup kitchen or other social services, went to The Salvation Army or otherwise interacted with any authorities.

That's a long time to survive, especially for a first-timer. That's why I don't think he's "on the streets".

If the publicity does scare him away, it's because he doesn't want to be found, IMO.

Yup.

Or he didn't survive whatever it was, he was walking towards.....

It hasn't, yet.

Was it Believe09 who called it a "malicious disappearance"? I think that's correct. Purposely walking out on family and friends is nothing but a stab in their hearts (almost as cruel as suicide, IMO).
<snipped>

I don't think most suicides intend to be cruel. They're so caught up in their own pain that they can't see outside themselves, and depression has often twisted their perceptions to where they truly believe no one will care, or even that the people they're leaving will be better off without them.

I suspect the same thinking often goes into leaving. Back when I was suffering from post-partum depression, I nearly walked -- and I would have thought I was doing spouse a favor by leaving, so he didn't have to cope with me any more and I couldn't inflict any more psychological damage on him or the kids. It wasn't true, of course, but I wasn't capable of seeing that.

And sometimes people leave because they think they have to save their own lives. People trying to deal with sexual orientation issues often feel this way -- that staying where they are is killing them inside. They don't want to hurt the people they love, but they can't keep hurting themselves, either.

I'm sure there are people who kill themselves for malice. I'm sure there are people who leave in order to inflict pain. I suppose Steven might have intended to hurt his parents and his family for not understanding him or whatever -- but I think it's more likely he was sufficiently depressed to think that that they were better off without him. Now he probably thinks he doesn't deserve to be found.

I don't think most suicides intend to be cruel. They're so caught up in their own pain that they can't see outside themselves, and depression has often twisted their perceptions to where they truly believe no one will care, or even that the people they're leaving will be better off without them.

I suspect the same thinking often goes into leaving. Back when I was suffering from post-partum depression, I nearly walked -- and I would have thought I was doing spouse a favor by leaving, so he didn't have to cope with me any more and I couldn't inflict any more psychological damage on him or the kids. It wasn't true, of course, but I wasn't capable of seeing that.

And sometimes people leave because they think they have to save their own lives. People trying to deal with sexual orientation issues often feel this way -- that staying where they are is killing them inside. They don't want to hurt the people they love, but they can't keep hurting themselves, either.

I'm sure there are people who kill themselves for malice. I'm sure there are people who leave in order to inflict pain. I suppose Steven might have intended to hurt his parents and his family for not understanding him or whatever -- but I think it's more likely he was sufficiently depressed to think that that they were better off without him. Now he probably thinks he doesn't deserve to be found.

Thank you for your insight, carbuff. I am also one of those who has always felt that suicide is a selfish act and purposely hurtful to loved ones. It's good to see the other side of it.

Glad you got through it all and are here with us now!

Quick question for everyone- did anyone receive a visitor message tip regarding SK being sighted after December? If you did, please email me or send me a PM. tIA...

Did you find the information you were looking for and/or did it lead anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee