NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, Bossypants! The point is - he's made a choice. Lots of folks are opportunists. Who's to say Steven isn't doing the same and just isn't on our radar or "in the news?"

Just sayin' - people do crazy stuff for all sorts of reasons. Look at this kid! His parents are coming for a visit and he's not yet told them what he's doing.

If Steven was doing the same as this kid, he'd have had to buy a car to live in, he'd have a job, his parents would know where he was, he'd be in school..... ;)

Signed:
Ms Bossypants :angel:

You're right.

I've not seen the bus stop guy again. I don't know if the PI or family did anything with that info, but I'll keep looking. What else can I do? I'm out of ideas.

We're working on getting those cards out -- don't know how long that's going to take but it's in the works.

"Steven wouldn't do that" may be blocking the truth.
He wouldn't leave his family and friends.
He wouldn't be involved with crime.
He wouldn't miss church.

NOW....if he was making drug deliveries, I doubt he was using public transportation ;)

We just had an interesting case arise in Utah; a doctor with a name many Utahns hold in high regard, has been indicted for prescribing over 3.5 MILLION oxycodine and hydrocodone pills: Salt Lake Tribune -- and apparently, he's only the fourth-worse doctor in Utah to do so.

"The indictment alleges that MacKay distributed more than 1.9 million pills of hydrocodone and nearly 1.6 million pills of oxycodone between June 1, 2005, and Oct. 30, 2009. From 2005 to February 2007, MacKay saw 100 to 120 patients in an eight-hour work day, the indictment claims, and from March 2007 to October 2009, he saw 40 to 59 patients during a three-hour work day."

(The doctor who told me I was pregnant, years ago, was recently arrested for writing prescriptions in a Walgreen's parking lot!)

It'll be interesting to find out who those other physicians are, and if any are in the St George area.

I totally agree with you on this. And I guarantee that EVERYONE who knows those doctors would say exactly the same thing about them: "Oh he would never do that!"

Yeah, but he did.

If Steven was doing the same as this kid, he'd have had to buy a car to live in, he'd have a job, his parents would know where he was, he'd be in school..... ;)

Signed:
Ms Bossypants :angel:

Well, I wasn't thinking Steven was doing the exact same as this kid, but rather pointing out that sometimes people do things that don't make sense to most others.

That guy is obviously in touch with his family, but he said they didn't know about the "homeless" lifestyle he's adopted. Said they would find out when they came to visit.

I hope neither of my kids ever have a surprise like that in store for me!

Well, I wasn't thinking Steven was doing the exact same as this kid, but rather pointing out that sometimes people do things that don't make sense to most others.

That guy is obviously in touch with his family, but he said they didn't know about the "homeless" lifestyle he's adopted. Said they would find out when they came to visit.

I hope neither of my kids ever have a surprise like that in store for me!

Oh, I think his parents found out as soon as he started his publicity campaign. (He must have issued a press release, because all of our locals picked up on it.)
Sleeping in a van (while enjoying his job, college, dates, free showers, free internet) isn't the worst thing a kid can do.

Seven months "off the grid" -- I still don't think anyone can do it all alone for that long without being noticed. JMO, of course.

Oh, I think his parents found out as soon as he started his publicity campaign. (He must have issued a press release, because all of our locals picked up on it.)
Sleeping in a van (while enjoying his job, college, dates, free showers, free internet) isn't the worst thing a kid can do.

Seven months "off the grid" -- I still don't think anyone can do it all alone for that long without being noticed. JMO, of course.

But being noticed by someone who knows he's missing and cares enough to report it is quite a different thing.

It sounds so sinister when you put it that way!

I disagree. If he's not been bothering anyone, there's no reason he would have been noticed by LE. And I would venture to say the folks who come into contact with the homeless on a daily basis don't have the time or the resources to check if any of them are "missing."

Then again, I'm just not sure Steven is homeless at all.

I disagree. If he's not been bothering anyone, there's no reason he would have been noticed by LE. And I would venture to say the folks who come into contact with the homeless on a daily basis don't have the time or the resources to check if any of them are "missing."

Then again, I'm just not sure Steven is homeless at all.

I agree with you on both counts. If he's living a low key life, making enough with daily work to satisfy his basic needs, he wouldn't have much need to ever come into contact with LE or social services.

But being noticed by someone who knows he's missing and cares enough to report it is quite a different thing.

It's not that they don't care enough; it's that the advocates, clinics, LE and others who come into contact with "off the grid" people, have no responsibility to contact anyone about a missing adult.

Remember sbakker's (bipolar) sister, who was known to the clinics and shelters in SLC -- but they couldn't/wouldn't tell the family where she was.

If the "missing" person doesn't want to be found, the family won't be notified. That's what makes it tough. The agencies in LV could know all about him.

BTW, I had a brainstorm about the "card" -- and I need to mull it over, overnight. If I agree with myself in the morning, it'll make things much simpler. :dance:

I agree with you on both counts. If he's living a low key life, making enough with daily work to satisfy his basic needs, he wouldn't have much need to ever come into contact with LE or social services.

If he's renting a place, it's likely there's been a credit check.
Aha moment ;)

It's not that they don't care enough; it's that the advocates, clinics, LE and others who come into contact with "off the grid" people, have no responsibility to contact anyone about a missing adult.

Remember sbakker's (bipolar) sister, who was known to the clinics and shelters in SLC -- but they couldn't/wouldn't tell the family where she was.

If the "missing" person doesn't want to be found, the family won't be notified. That's what makes it tough. The agencies in LV could know all about him.

BTW, I had a brainstorm about the "card" -- and I need to mull it over, overnight. If I agree with myself in the morning, it'll make things much simpler. :dance:

Laytonian, you have a good point here. Maybe someone HAS come across Steven and realized he was a "missing person." If he told them he wanted to remain that way, they could have just let it drop.

If he's renting a place, it's likely there's been a credit check.
Aha moment ;)

True. But is someone looking for that kind of thing? Also, he could be living with someone else.

Laytonian, you have a good point here. Maybe someone HAS come across Steven and realized he was a "missing person." If he told them he wanted to remain that way, they could have just let it drop.

A professional likely would (especially if there was medical treatment).

The only hope is that someone he knew, recognized him and talked him in to surfacing.

That thought is EXACTLY why I'm mulling something over tonight, and it makes the "cards" even more important.

True. But is someone looking for that kind of thing?

Dunno if they legally could. UNLESS they were co-owners of his credit.

Also, he could be living with someone else.

If he's not on a lease, there'd be no credit check. But if that someone else wanted not to be responsible for 100%, there likely would be.

Dunno if they legally could. UNLESS they were co-owners of his credit.

I continue to hope that LE is paying attention to this kind of thing. I suppose that may not be the case.

If he's not on a lease, there'd be no credit check. But if that someone else wanted not to be responsible for 100%, there likely would be.

There is always the possibility that "someone else" is fine with the arrangement - whatever it may be.

I wasn't thinking of professionals, I was thinking of other day laborers, people he might run into at fast food places, etc. -- who might know he's missing but not care, just as some of them might be illegal immigrants and nobody cares.

As for credit checks -- uh, not usually for the kind of place where you pay cash by the week.

I wasn't thinking of professionals, I was thinking of other day laborers, people he might run into at fast food places, etc. -- who might know he's missing but not care, just as some of them might be illegal immigrants and nobody cares.

As for credit checks -- uh, not usually for the kind of place where you pay cash by the week.

Also - good points.

A professional likely would (especially if there was medical treatment).

The only hope is that someone he knew, recognized him and talked him in to surfacing.

That thought is EXACTLY why I'm mulling something over tonight, and it makes the "cards" even more important.

Not sure where you're going with the thought process.... But I'm thinking the "cards" are going to have to be taken to places to which I'm not comfortable going!

Not sure where you're going with the thought process.... But I'm thinking the "cards" are going to have to be taken to places to which I'm not comfortable going!

Are you able to pair up with someone when you do it? Please do not go alone.

What about the other posters that are from Vegas are they going to be able to help?

Hi! I have been a lurker since around February and have been following Steven's case on here and on his FB page. I happen to live in Las Vegas so I would be happy to help distribute the cards.
Just let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member