NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see that too. Which is why I kept wondering whether there was a Mormon equivalent to a monastery or retreat center.

I've never heard of one.
Around Utah, it'd be highly publicized, if one existed.

I see Mormonism as a social religion, where all problems have a solution via prayer (and sometimes fasting). One goes to the Bishop for counseling, and since the vast majority of males are part of the Priesthood, Priesthood blessings are readily available.

Maybe he orchestrated his own "retreat."

There's a Catholic order of lay brethren who have a monastery not far from Las Vegas; I knew a guy who spent several years there. He told me there were several other retreat centers in that general area (100 miles or so). I wonder whether he might have gone to one of those?

Going into the hills to pray and fast, and had an accident?

...or died of hypothermia.

This is the scenario we discussed a while back, where someone in the mountains at night would crawl into a "rabbit hole" or under a crevice to keep warm -- but dies in that position, in a place that's hard to spot.

Of course, this doesn't explain the cell phone pings on the other side of town -- but it could just as easily have happened there.

There's a Catholic order of lay brethren who have a monastery not far from Las Vegas; I knew a guy who spent several years there. He told me there were several other retreat centers in that general area (100 miles or so). I wonder whether he might have gone to one of those?

Embracing another religion (ie, rejecting his own) would mean that he's rejected the eternal path each LDS family aims for. In other words, that'd be a rejection of his family and his entire background.

I guess there's nowhere as private.....

Embracing another religion (ie, rejecting his own) would mean that he's rejected the eternal path each LDS family aims for. In other words, that'd be a rejection of his family and his entire background.

I guess there's nowhere as private.....

You don't generally have to embrace Catholicism in order to partake of spiritual retreat facilities; they're open to anyone searching spiritually.

Something like this would seem more likely: http://www.iahushua.com/T-L-J/separatists.html This particular group seems to have been broken up around 1999, but I'm sure there are many more. Note that it's not FLDS or anything, just a small independent splinter group seeking to avoid worldly ways.

You don't generally have to embrace Catholicism in order to partake of spiritual retreat facilities; they're open to anyone searching spiritually.

Something like this would seem more likely: http://www.iahushua.com/T-L-J/separatists.html This particular group seems to have been broken up around 1999, but I'm sure there are many more. Note that it's not FLDS or anything, just a small independent splinter group seeking to avoid worldly ways.

I understand.

While I don't see an LDS person moving to another religion's retreat (it'd be "worldly" even if that group didn't believe it was) OR spending much time there, I do see evidence that some short-term things are done. So I was wrong in doubting you totally ;)

I do see that they have their own LDS version of Marriage Encounter (called Magnify Your Marriage). I also see a group of BYU students studying World Religions visited a Buddhist retreat.

A Houston singles ward tried to hold a retreat, but didn't have much success (but the website is entertaining).

Thing is...if he went to a retreat, by now, he'd be a full-fledged monk.

I understand.

While I don't see an LDS person moving to another religion's retreat (it'd be "worldly" even if that group didn't believe it was) OR spending much time there, I do see evidence that some short-term things are done. So I was wrong in doubting you totally ;)

I do see that they have their own LDS version of Marriage Encounter (called Magnify Your Marriage). I also see a group of BYU students studying World Religions visited a Buddhist retreat.

A Houston singles ward tried to hold a retreat, but didn't have much success (but the website is entertaining).

Thing is...if he went to a retreat, by now, he'd be a full-fledged monk.

Not necessarily. My friend was there for the better part of ten years. He did become a lay brother early on, but it wasn't required. They're a cooperative society; as long as he was contributing to the work and following the (very few) rules regarding contemplation and so forth, he was welcome.

I'm thinking also that if he was having a religious crisis, maybe he did reach the point of rejecting his religion. I could see him also assuming that if he did that, his family would reject him -- so he'd just leave so they didn't have to do it.

Not necessarily. My friend was there for the better part of ten years. He did become a lay brother early on, but it wasn't required. They're a cooperative society; as long as he was contributing to the work and following the (very few) rules regarding contemplation and so forth, he was welcome.

I'm thinking also that if he was having a religious crisis, maybe he did reach the point of rejecting his religion. I could see him also assuming that if he did that, his family would reject him -- so he'd just leave so they didn't have to do it.

I've thought he may have had a religious crisis. I've also considered he took his spirituality to the next level, somehow.

I've thought he may have had a religious crisis. I've also considered he took his spirituality to the next level, somehow.

What would that mean for a sweet helpful slightly airheaded Mormon boy?

What would that mean for a sweet helpful slightly airheaded Mormon boy?

Out of the fold. But we can't forget that the information about his high level of spirituality came from the same corner that describes him as a sweet, helpful, slightly airheaded Mormon boy.

My guess is, none of those lovely folks have the slightest clue as to why Steven was in the Las Vegas area. Generally speaking, it's not the first place those seeking a higher spiritual experience would choose. Why would one choose Sin City (no offense cutie) over Zion?

I would have to say, based on what we "know" about Steven, we will never be able to figure out why he was here. Yes, he had several road trips prior to going missing, but he didn't leave his car anywhere else and walk away. IMO, this wasn't just another impulsive road trip. There was a purpose.

We need to figure out WHY he came here.

I would have to say, based on what we "know" about Steven, we will never be able to figure out why he was here. Yes, he had several road trips prior to going missing, but he didn't leave his car anywhere else and walk away. IMO, this wasn't just another impulsive road trip. There was a purpose.

We need to figure out WHY he came here.

bbm

That is the million dollar question. If we could answer that we would probably know what happened.

According to a WSer who called TH, SK didn't wash windows. His only job was to pass out the flyers.

Help me understand that scheme.

There were texts and VMs sent to SK after the phone went dead, and which were retrieved.

So for this scheme to work, the callers using the "secret number" would have had to stop using it, at the time the phone went dead -- because texts and VMs that came in after that time, were retrieved.

Not a scheme...and I am talking about during the time we know he was driving and maybe Monday. You just leave a message by entering the phone number of the person you want to leave the message for when you call the assigned AT&T voicemail number. It's the same idea as when you call to get your messages. The phone gets a message alert, but not a phone call. He
could call and check the message and no one knows what number left the message. My girlfriends daughter did this so her boyfriends number would not show up on her phone.

Not a scheme...and I am talking about during the time we know he was driving and maybe Monday. You just leave a message by entering the phone number of the person you want to leave the message for when you call the assigned AT&T voicemail number. It's the same idea as when you call to get your messages. The phone gets a message alert, but not a phone call. He
could call and check the message and no one knows what number left the message. My girlfriends daughter did this so her boyfriends number would not show up on her phone.

I'm so sorry - I don't understand!!!

I guess I still don't understand.

All calls to my voicemail are by calling my own phone number; there's no other voicemail number. (There used to be, when we had a landline.)

From what I can see from the phone records, he was "screening" his calls.
There's an incoming call, then a VM check.
They're all tied to known people.

I could be wrong, but if some "secret" VM scheme was being used, wouldn't there be some urgency, and he'd call to check VM more than five times in the last 48 hours?

9:19am, Dec 12th
9:02pm, Dec 12th
5:36pm, Dec 13th
7:58pm, Dec 13th
7:04am, Dec 14th

Very few incoming calls, very few VM checks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr