NV NV - Wellington, WhtMale 574UMNV, 35-50, off Sand Canyon Road, Mar'92 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could Leonard have abandoned Wubon after killing Clifford? Leonard Lake was arrested and subsequently commited suicide with cyanide upon his arrest during questioning. So what happened to Wubon?
I know nothing about this case. Who is Wubon? If Wubon was a friend of Lake and Ng, maybe he was a killer too and Clifford was killed by Wubon.

I'm not going to read any links about the serial killer. That's out of the realm of my comfort zone. I did include serial killer in my long list of possibilities. They also fall into the very select type of people who would cut off hands and feet.

I really think Clifford is our guy based on being from San Fran, heading to Tahoe, having a dog, and looking like our guy in the photo.

I know nothing about this case. Who is Wubon? If Wubon was a friend of Lake and Ng, maybe he was a killer too and Clifford was killed by Wubon.

I'm not going to read any links about the serial killer. That's out of the realm of my comfort zone. I did include serial killer in my long list of possibilities. They also fall into the very select type of people who would cut off hands and feet.

I really think Clifford is our guy based on being from San Fran, heading to Tahoe, having a dog, and looking like our guy in the photo.

Wubon is the name of Leonard Lake's german shephard according to the link I posted above.

Was from SF area and he was supposed to be going to Lake Tahoe when he disappeared. Circumstances of Disappearance
Clifford was last seen on January 20, 1985 in San Francisco, CA. He is a presumed victim of serial killers Charles Ng and Leonard Lake . One day, co-worker Cliff Peranteau became mad at Ng. On January 18, 1985, Peranteau went missing after telling his girlfriend "Charlie" had invited him to Lake Tahoe. Some days later, Peranteau sent a letter to his boss asking him to send his pay check to a postal box.
Many of Peranteau's belongings were found in the cabin and in Ng's apartment. Investigators apprehended Lake after he and Ng were caught shoplifting from a San Francisco hardware store in 1985. Ng fled from officers, but Lake was taken into custody. Lake swallowed a cyanide capsule he taped to the collar of his shirt while in custody. He reportedly told authorities that Ng was his partner prior to his death several days later. Investigators searched Lake's property and uncovered the remains of several victims.

Ng was apprehended in Canada later in 1985. He was convicted of eleven murders in California in 1999 after 14 years of legal wrangling and stalling. He claimed Lake was the actual murderer and has never accepted responsibility for the murders.

Coincidence? In the obituary posted upthread... The comment from a Phil Mark, look at the last name of the decedent. Begins with an "N" and ends with a "G".

The company that stole his 1975 design was mentioned in the memorial as being a "Singapore conglomerate"- I've not found anything suggesting (yet) that Mark Pack Works was a Singapore conglomerate. (But who knows, lol...)
But there is an Asian connection!

Bob Howe of Howe Design Group. http://www.howedesigngroup.com/about_us.html

This guy designed for Mark Pack Works in the past. Most likely designing backpacks based on his portfolio showing a backpack for another company.

Listed under skills: "Years of experience working with contract shops in China, Korea and elsewhere providing specs and
assembly guides for products."

I've suspected that Mark Pack Works had its products manufactured in Asia since I have found no evidence of a large manufacturing facility here in the states.

There could be different entities involved that appeared to be a Singapore conglomerate. He wouldn't put Mark Pack Works logo on low end products. He'd create another DBA for that.

More than one of the Charley Project missing persons in California that I added to the thread yesterday had suspected ties to serial killers Charles Ng and Leonard Lake. I read that that they could have had over 60 victims, most unaccounted for. It's truly incredible. They reportedly buried several at their lake house - but with that many victims, I wouldn't rule out other sites for the remains.

More than one of the Charley Project missing persons in California that I added to the thread yesterday had suspected ties to serial killers Charles Ng and Leonard Lake. I read that that they could have had over 60 victims, most unaccounted for. It's truly incredible. They reportedly buried several at their lake house - but with that many victims, I wouldn't rule out other sites for the remains.
This dog is convincing me this particular missing person might be exceptionally relevant to our case.

Did they have a thing for red haired males? It seems there's an overwhelming percentage of red heads in our search results for the small percentage of read heads in our population.

Wubon is the name of Leonard Lake's german shephard according to the link I posted above.
As I said, I'm not going to read any links about serial killers. That's way outside my comfort zone.

It seems it's possible Ng abandoned Lake's dog after killing Clifford. If Clifford is our guy.

ETA: Forget the last sentence above. It's not possible since there's a 7 year gap of time.

Could there have been more than two serial killers? Maybe there was another who was never suspected and/or caught.

How could a serial killer who worked at a moving company afford a cabin in Tahoe? Did he continue working at the moving company after the disappearance of Clifford? Or did he also quit? Is it possible they were supplementing their lifestyle with drug dealing?

But there is an Asian connection!

Bob Howe of Howe Design Group. http://www.howedesigngroup.com/about_us.html

This guy designed for Mark Pack Works in the past. Most likely designing backpacks based on his portfolio showing a backpack for another company.

Listed under skills: "Years of experience working with contract shops in China, Korea and elsewhere providing specs and
assembly guides for products."

I've suspected that Mark Pack Works had its products manufactured in Asia since I have found no evidence of a large manufacturing facility here in the states.

There could be different entities involved that appeared to be a Singapore conglomerate. He wouldn't put Mark Pack Works logo on low end products. He'd create another DBA for that.

My thoughts too when I read about Bob Howe earlier ...

** OT ** And just something I noticed which to me was amusing and doesn't really mean anything about this case, but there is a photo of the artist, J Kitson, a photo of Bob Howe and a photo of the person who passed that Philip Mark commented on the obit for -- all three men must have really like those tropical button up pattern beach shirts :) they all had ones similar to each other ... Just an observation that made me smile :)

How could a serial killer who worked at a moving company afford a cabin in Tahoe? Did he continue working at the moving company after the disappearance of Clifford? Or did he also quit? Is it possible they were supplementing their lifestyle with drug dealing?

Not sure if people like that actually pay to rent a cabin. Could have just borrowed one without permission or camped out.

After reading up on the story of Lake and Ng...more than one of their victims do seem to fit. Another candidate would be Jeffery Dean Gerald. Missing: 2-24-85, 6'3", 170 lbs., Brown (reddish in photo), 35 years old. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gerald_jeffrey.html

Their spree came to an end in July 1985 after Ng was caught in Canada. In June 1985, his partner Lake committed suicide by cyanide in custody. Granted, it was a long time before our victim was supposedly murdered. So many of their victims were never found.

In the correspondence to different people supposedly from the victims (actually was from Lake), there were mentions of moving to South Lake Tahoe or Lake Tahoe area. Lake and Ng had different ways of getting what they wanted. Lake had other people he used and he stole from his victims. Ng liked to shoplift (which is how he was finally caught) and also stole from victims.

I posted one earlier that was assumed to be one of Dahmer's victims. There are quite a few on the list that have been presumed to be victims of serial killers or foul play. I am wondering if the car they found five months earlier played a role at all in this case. Could it be a dumping ground for unwanted things/people?

Somewhere I thought I'd read that a Mark Pack owned the business (thought, what a coincidence that his name also had the word 'pack' in it.) I'll try to retrace my steps to see where I thought I read that.
Mark Pack is the owner of an entirely different company called M-Pack Works located in Texas. I posted that info earlier in the thread. He probably picked M-Pack Works to associate his lures with Mark Pack Works. Having the name Mark Pack and being aware of Mark Pack Works likely inspired him.

One thing to keep in mind is that, although the artwork was labeled Jim Kitson ©1975, that only refers to when Kitson completed the design, so we can assume the pack was made at least a year or two after that. If our earliest find for MPW ads is 1981, that would fit just fine.
I gave the 10 year age range to allow for both 1975 and 1981. Bottom line is this guy is not in his 40s. That much is for sure.

I'm just wondering (as someone upthread also mentioned) if the owner of the MPW company was acquaintance-grown-friends with Jim Kitson due to common outdoorsy interests--and it'd be my guess that the owner of MPW is roughly the same age as Kitson or maybe older.
Kitson would be 76 today. Philip Mark could be more in the late 60 range or older. Especially since it's unlikely a young 20 year old started a business like that. That could explain the decline of the business. He could be just supplementing his social security retirement income.

They don't need to be the same age to be fishing/outdoorsy buddies. I'm 50 and I have friends in their 20s and mid-60s. My husband has friends who are almost 15 to 20 years older than him that he golfs and fishes with regularly.

I posted one earlier that was assumed to be one of Dahmer's victims. There are quite a few on the list that have been presumed to be victims of serial killers or foul play. I am wondering if the car they found five months earlier played a role at all in this case. Could it be a dumping ground for unwanted things/people?
If our guy is one of their victims, it possible there are other victims buried in the same area our guy was found. Oh, my.

I'm going to step outside of my comfort zone and read the link Sluethster posted.

Lake and Ng's cabin was in Calaveras County off hwy 26 near Wilseyville not in Lake Tahoe. It was purchased by his wife or wife's family. People living in that area would take hwy 88 to Tahoe. 88 also will take you to NV near Minden. I lived in the area when Lake and Ng's did.

After reading up on the story of Lake and Ng...more than one of their victims do seem to fit. Another candidate would be Jeffery Dean Gerald. Missing: 2-24-85, 6'3", 170 lbs., Brown (reddish in photo), 35 years old. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gerald_jeffrey.html

Their spree came to an end in July 1985 after Ng was caught in Canada. In June 1985, his partner Lake committed suicide by cyanide in custody. Granted, it was a long time before our victim was supposedly murdered. So many of their victims were never found.

Yes, he is another possibility. The fact that Clifford [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Peranteau's missing persons case mentions Lake Tahoe makes me think that if it's not Clifford then it is another NG/Lake victim. Could have used this is a guise on other victims also or even had a cabin in the area of Tahoe or Reno. I think it's too much of a coincidence; the german shephard, the moving company, San Francisco, and Lake Tahoe links. Only thing I can't find is a MO where they removed hands and/or feet.
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members