NY – Ex POTUS Donald Trump, sued by E. Jean Carroll, DT found liable re sexual assault, $5M award, countersuit dismissed, appeal rejected, 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Legal experts and political commentators have now suggested Carroll could file a new defamation lawsuit against Trump after his latest comments.

"I hate that CNN allowed E. Jean Carroll's name to be dragged through the mud again by this terrible man. Sure she could sue him for defamation again," tweeted Sherrilyn Ifill, lawyer and former director-counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

"That doesn't change the hurt & humiliation at the laughter, and at the knowledge that CNN was willing to expose her to this," she wrote.

MSNBC legal analyst Lisa Rubin wrote: "Tonight felt like watching a bad law school exam fact pattern unravel. And now, I am pondering the preclusive effect, if any, of yesterday's verdict on Trump's defenses to any new claims by E. Jean Carroll or just elements thereof (e.g., the falsity prong of defamation)

"And the other pressing question: Would Trump be the sole defendant?"

Olivia Troye, who served as a homeland security and counter-terrorism advisor to former Vice President Mike Pence, said: "Still processing what happened in that CNN Trump town hall…But one moment was especially horrid…and E. Jean Carroll should sue Trump all over again."

However, former Deputy Assistant Attorney General Harry Litman downplayed suggestions that Carroll should launch a fresh defamation suit against Trump.

"Lots of questions about [whether] Carroll can sue again for new defamation. Yes, & it would be interesting to do so & continue to add counts," Litman tweeted. "But I doubt she will: she can now claim vindication, and why rock that boat? Plus her damages [would] date only from the new defamation I.E very small."

As former Republican congresswoman Barbara Comstock lamented after the verdict ......

“We have repulsed an entire generation with this guy,” said the former Virginia representative, who served under Trump until 2019.

“They’re seeing Republican men and women defending him by saying this type of thing is OK, or that the insurrection is OK, or that Donald Trump’s authoritarianism is OK.

Brave woman.

“We all know covering Donald Trump is messy, and tricky, and will continue to be messy and tricky, but it’s our job. We’re going to do it fairly, toughly and aggressively as Kaitlan did last night,” Licht said on the call. “I absolutely unequivocally believe America was served very well by what we did last night, because it laid bare and created in the words of Joe Scarborough, ‘a political earthquake,’ and that people woke up and they know what the stakes are in this election in a way that they didn’t the day before. And if someone was going to ask tough questions and have that messy conversation, it damn well should be on CNN.”

Licht opened the call by taking the time to praise Collins for her composure and questioning, and called her a “true rock star.” Collins is said to be the favorite to take over CNN’s 9 p.m. hour, solidifying CNN’s primetime lineup even if it means dismantling the new morning show put into place just a few months ago (with Collins’ co-host Don Lemon ousted last month).

“I want to kick off by congratulating Kaitlan for what I can only call a masterful performance last night,” Licht said on the call. “I couldn’t be more proud of her and the team that supported us on the ground and back home. It’s tough to imagine anyone navigating such a tricky assignment with more ease than Kaitlan. She asked tough questions, followed up, fact checked, fact checked again in real time. And as you can see, that was not an easy feat.”

But he also acknowledged the elephant in the room, telling the editorial staff that, “I am aware that there has been people with opinions slash backlash and that is absolutely expected.”

“And I will say this as clearly as I possibly can: You do not have to like the former president’s answers, but you can’t say that we didn’t get them. Kaitlan pressed him again and again, and made news, made a lot of news,” Licht said. “I think it’s very important that we learned his positions on Ukraine, January 6, abortion, the election results, pardoning people… our job is to get those answers and to hold him accountable in a way that no news organization has done literally any years.”

As for the audience applause and laughter as Trump took aim at E. Jean Carroll, Ukraine, and even Collins herself, CNN noted that because the town hall was tied to the GOP primary, the audience was made up of Republicans and independents that were likely to vote in the Republican primary.

“While we all may have been uncomfortable hearing people clapping, that was also an important part of the story,” Licht said. “Because the people in that audience represent a large swath of America, and the mistake the media made in the past is ignoring that those people exist. Just like you cannot ignore that President Trump exists.”

“We all know covering Donald Trump is messy, and tricky, and will continue to be messy and tricky, but it’s our job. We’re going to do it fairly, toughly and aggressively as Kaitlan did last night,” Licht said on the call. “I absolutely unequivocally believe America was served very well by what we did last night, because it laid bare and created in the words of Joe Scarborough, ‘a political earthquake,’ and that people woke up and they know what the stakes are in this election in a way that they didn’t the day before. And if someone was going to ask tough questions and have that messy conversation, it damn well should be on CNN.”

Licht opened the call by taking the time to praise Collins for her composure and questioning, and called her a “true rock star.” Collins is said to be the favorite to take over CNN’s 9 p.m. hour, solidifying CNN’s primetime lineup even if it means dismantling the new morning show put into place just a few months ago (with Collins’ co-host Don Lemon ousted last month).

“I want to kick off by congratulating Kaitlan for what I can only call a masterful performance last night,” Licht said on the call. “I couldn’t be more proud of her and the team that supported us on the ground and back home. It’s tough to imagine anyone navigating such a tricky assignment with more ease than Kaitlan. She asked tough questions, followed up, fact checked, fact checked again in real time. And as you can see, that was not an easy feat.”

But he also acknowledged the elephant in the room, telling the editorial staff that, “I am aware that there has been people with opinions slash backlash and that is absolutely expected.”

“And I will say this as clearly as I possibly can: You do not have to like the former president’s answers, but you can’t say that we didn’t get them. Kaitlan pressed him again and again, and made news, made a lot of news,” Licht said. “I think it’s very important that we learned his positions on Ukraine, January 6, abortion, the election results, pardoning people… our job is to get those answers and to hold him accountable in a way that no news organization has done literally any years.”

As for the audience applause and laughter as Trump took aim at E. Jean Carroll, Ukraine, and even Collins herself, CNN noted that because the town hall was tied to the GOP primary, the audience was made up of Republicans and independents that were likely to vote in the Republican primary.

“While we all may have been uncomfortable hearing people clapping, that was also an important part of the story,” Licht said. “Because the people in that audience represent a large swath of America, and the mistake the media made in the past is ignoring that those people exist. Just like you cannot ignore that President Trump exists.”

He’s right, those people exist. But should they be legitimized?

I caught it online late last night. I wanted to know what we're up against. Not that I don't know who this guy is, but I wanted to see what he was saying these days.

I was stunned (how can I still be surprised at anything he says?), disgusted, and appalled.

But what really got me was the "polling" they did of 8 attendees afterwards. They asked several questions and to hear all 3 of the women in that room say they had no thoughts on the EJC verdict because they did not follow the case, don't really know the circumstances, and that people make stuff up... just made me cry.

And 3 of the people said that he is entitled to his opinion that he won the 2020 election, because he still believes he did.

It's not him at this point; the damage is done IMO - it's those who think it's ok now to be like him. To be outwardly racist, sexist, misogynistic. The normalizing of it all.

Thanks for letting me share.

I caught it online late last night. I wanted to know what we're up against. Not that I don't know who this guy is, but I wanted to see what he was saying these days.

I was stunned (how can I still be surprised at anything he says?), disgusted, and appalled.

But what really got me was the "polling" they did of 8 attendees afterwards. They asked several questions and to hear all 3 of the women in that room say they had no thoughts on the EJC verdict because they did not follow the case, don't really know the circumstances, and that people make stuff up... just made me cry.

And 3 of the people said that he is entitled to his opinion that he won the 2020 election, because he still believes he did.

It's not him at this point; the damage is done IMO - it's those who think it's ok now to be like him. To be outwardly racist, sexist, misogynistic. The normalizing of it all.

I guess I'm entitled to my opinion that the Phillies won the World Series last year and the Eagles won the Super Bowl.

This is when WS needs an eyeroll reaction emoji.

This is when WS needs an eyeroll reaction emoji.
or the barf emoji. That was more than an hour of free rally time for the Donald. Remember before when CNN would televise all of his rallies, complete with loooong waits for the plane to arrive...it's coming, we're told in 15 minutes....there he is.....goosing the fans into ecstatic cheering...

Yep, most of his followers or people on the right are not very informed on the Carroll trial or 1/6 or Dominion or any of the investigations, because their preferred media like Fox News hardly ever cover those stories, or when they do it's very shoddy coverage. jmo

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back