NY - $250m fraud against Former President Donald Trump, Trump Org., Eric, Donald Jr., Sept 2022, Trial 2 Oct 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@hugolowell

New: Trump announces Alina Habba is moving to be the legal spokesperson for Save America PAC and will withdraw from the NY attorney general case vs Trump Org and other cases, per release
Ha! Claim to be embarrassed to be a lawyer and get demoted!
moo

Monday, July 17th:
*Jury Selection begins (@ am) - NY - Michael D. Cohen vs. Trump Organization, LLC. Filed 3/7/19 & restored to active. Cohen accused the company of breaking a contract when it refused to pay about $1.9 million in legal costs after he began cooperating with federal prosecutors. New York Supreme Court-Manhattan #651377-2019/Judge Joel M. Cohen presiding.
Cohen asserts claims for (1) breach of contract, (2) breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, (3) a declaratory judgment setting forth the scope of his rights under the "indemnification agreement," and (4) promissory estoppel. In response, the Trump Organization moves to dismiss Cohen's Complaint on the grounds that no agreement existed; that even if it did, it is void because it was not in writing; and that Cohen's other claims are either duplicative of his contract claim or fail to state viable causes of action.
Cohen said that the Trump Organization had failed to live up to an agreement to pay for any legal fees or related costs Mr. Cohen incurred in his work with the Trump Organization. Cohen is also seeking reimbursement for an additional $1.9 million he was ordered to pay in fines, forfeiture & restitution after he pleaded guilty to breaking campaign finance laws, evading taxes & lying to Congress, the lawsuit said.
Case Summary: 8/28/19: Therefore, it is:
ORDERED that Defendant's motion to dismiss the First Cause of Action (Breach of Contract) is Granted in part and Denied in part; it is further.
ORDERED that Defendant's motion to dismiss the Second Cause of Action (Breach of the Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing) is Granted; it is further.
ORDERED that Defendant's motion to dismiss the Third Cause of Action (Declaratory Judgment) is Granted in part and Denied in part; it is further.
ORDERED that Defendant's motion to dismiss the Fourth Cause of Action (Promissory Estoppel) is Granted in part and Denied in part; and it is further. ORDERED that the parties are to appear for a preliminary conference on October 15, 2019.
Trial set to begin on 7/24/23.

Case & court info from 3/7/19 thru 11/15/22 reference post #53 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...mp-org-and-execs-trial-oct-2023.673964/page-3

3/13/23 Update: Parties are required to participate in a mandatory settlement conference in accordance with amended Rule 30(b) of the Rules of the Commercial Division. In March, the two sides informed the court they “met & conferred on a preferred settlement track & request to proceed to a mandatory settlement conference via private mediation.” 5/15/23 Update: Final pretrial conference hearing on 6/7/23 @ 10am & trial to begin on 7/24/23 @ 9:30am. 6/7/23 Update: Hearing was held. The latest document is a joint letter of 3/20/23 that says the parties are going to attempt to settle through mediation.
6/7/23 Update: Final pretrial hearing took place on 7/7/23. During the hearing, Cohen lawyer Hunter Winstead said Don. Jr. would offer relevant testimony since he’s still in the family real estate company as CEO & had to sign off on legal fees the company paid out. But Winstead argued his client should be permitted to called the former first son to the witness stand to question him about his knowledge of the company’s agreement to indemnify Cohen. Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Joel Cohen said he wouldn’t bar calling Don Jr. “He’s clearly a fact witness that — if you can legitimately get him here — there is no way I would preclude you from calling him as a witness,” Judge Cohen told Winstead. The parties later concluded Trump wouldn’t needed to be called to testify because both sides would stipulate an agreement was struck in 2017. Winstead told the judge that Cohen — executive vice president of the company for more than a decade –will testify at the trial, which is expected to last about a week. Jury selection is set to begin 7/17/23.

NEW YORK (AP) — Jury selection began Monday in Michael Cohen’s civil lawsuit against the Trump Organization, in which the former president's personal attorney and fixer claims he is owed more than $1 million.

Tuesday, July 18th:
*Jury Selection continues (Day 2) (@ am) - NY - Michael D. Cohen vs. Trump Organization, LLC. Filed 3/7/19 & restored to active. Cohen accused the company of breaking a contract when it refused to pay about $1.9 million in legal costs after he began cooperating with federal prosecutors. New York Supreme Court-Manhattan #651377-2019/Judge Joel M. Cohen presiding.
Jury Selection began on 7/17/23.
Case & court info from 3/7/19 thru 6/7/23 reference post #67 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...mp-org-and-execs-trial-oct-2023.673964/page-4

7/17/23 Monday, Jury Selection Day 1: Roughly three dozen prospective jurors sat inside a Manhattan courtroom, largely silent as Judge Joel Cohen outlined the coming trial dates & posed a series of questions meant to weed out candidates with potential conflicts of interest. Then the judge asked the assembled group, all New Yorkers, whether they had strong opinions about Trump or his family members. A few people snickered. More than half raised their hands. The former president is not a witness in the trial, the judge told the jury pool. But his son, Donald Trump Jr., may be called to testify. Cohen did not attend the jury selection on Monday and did not immediately return a request for comment.
for more info see post #68 (article) here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...mp-org-and-execs-trial-oct-2023.673964/page-4
Jury selection continues on Tuesday, 7/18/23.

Here's an article for Monday - could not find one for yesterday, Tuesday yet...

Maybe someone in the States has better luck than me.

Wednesday, July 19th:
*Jury Selection continues (Day 3) (@ am) - NY - Michael D. Cohen vs. Trump Organization, LLC. Filed 3/7/19 & restored to active. Cohen accused the company of breaking a contract when it refused to pay about $1.9 million in legal costs after he began cooperating with federal prosecutors. New York Supreme Court-Manhattan #651377-2019/Judge Joel M. Cohen presiding.
Case & court info from 3/7/19 thru 6/7/23 & Jury Selection Day 1 (7/17/23) reference post #69 here:

7/18/23 Tuesday, Jury Selection Day 2: No info available yet. Jury selection continues on Wednesday, 7/19/23.

Not finding any articles for Tuesday or Wednesday jury selection - just coming up with Monday. If anyone in the U.S. might have better luck than me?

Thursday, July 20th:
*Jury Selection continues (Day 4) (@ am) - NY - Michael D. Cohen vs. Trump Organization, LLC. Filed 3/7/19 & restored to active. Cohen accused the company of breaking a contract when it refused to pay about $1.9 million in legal costs after he began cooperating with federal prosecutors. New York Supreme Court-Manhattan #651377-2019/Judge Joel M. Cohen presiding.
Case & court info from 3/7/19 thru 6/7/23 & Jury Selection Day 1 (7/17/23) reference post #69 here:

7/18/23 Tuesday, Jury Selection Day 2: No info available yet. Jury selection continues on Wednesday, 7/19/23.
7/19/23 Wednesday, Jury Selection Day 3: Jury selection continues on Thursday, 7/20/23.

Six men and three women were selected Tuesday as jurors in Michael Cohen’s case against the Trump Organization.

Manhattan Supreme Court Judge Joel Cohen said three alternates would be chosen after the evidence stage of the case. Lawyers for Trump’s family business and Cohen are slated to go head to head after delivering opening arguments on Monday.
Published Tuesday, July 18, 2023
@Niner

What's everyone's sense of how this trial will go? I'm having trouble understanding exactly why Cohen feels he should have had his legal fees reimbursed.

What's everyone's sense of how this trial will go? I'm having trouble understanding exactly why Cohen feels he should have had his legal fees reimbursed.

My understanding is that there was an agreement that the Trump Organisation would pay Cohen's legal fees. And they reneged.
I imagine that Cohen has proof of the agreement, and needs to supply that. Perhaps the judge has seen the proof, and that is why the lawsuit has been allowed to go ahead?

"Cohen accused the Trump Organization of reneging on an agreement to cover his legal costs, leaving him with $1.3 million in unpaid bills."

My understanding is that there was an agreement that the Trump Organisation would pay Cohen's legal fees. And they reneged.
I imagine that Cohen has proof of the agreement, and needs to supply that. Perhaps the judge has seen the proof, and that is why the lawsuit has been allowed to go ahead?

"Cohen accused the Trump Organization of reneging on an agreement to cover his legal costs, leaving him with $1.3 million in unpaid bills."

I expect and hope he has a clear contract. If he doesn't he can blame himself. It seems to me, that if your lawyer engages in shady dealings and gets charged and ends up having to testify against you, that the client shouldn't expect the pay the lawyer's legal fees when he gets caught. It seems to me that it's the lawyer's professional duty to uphold the law, even if his client expects otherwise. When the lawyer breaches his professional duty, the cost of doing that shouldn't be on the client.

But maybe I am misunderstanding exactly what this case is about.

I expect and hope he has a clear contract. If he doesn't he can blame himself. It seems to me, that if your lawyer engages in shady dealings and gets charged and ends up having to testify against you, that the client shouldn't expect the pay the lawyer's legal fees when he gets caught. It seems to me that it's the lawyer's professional duty to uphold the law, even if his client expects otherwise. When the lawyer breaches his professional duty, the cost of doing that shouldn't be on the client.

I agree, I think there comes a time when he has to stop playing the #45 card, it’s all on him.

Six men and three women were selected Tuesday as jurors in Michael Cohen’s case against the Trump Organization.

Manhattan Supreme Court Judge Joel Cohen said three alternates would be chosen after the evidence stage of the case. Lawyers for Trump’s family business and Cohen are slated to go head to head after delivering opening arguments on Monday.
Published Tuesday, July 18, 2023
@Niner

So - from this I gather there will only be 6 jurors - the other 3 will be alternates AFTER evidence is presented?

TIA !

So - from this I gather there will only be 6 jurors - the other 3 will be alternates AFTER evidence is presented?

TIA !
Alternates chosen after evidence is presented so no juror knows if s/he is an alternate or not. Otherwise alternates could "tune out" during trial, thinking they don't need to deliberate so paying attention doesn't matter. This way, the jurors stay engaged. imo

I could be wrong, but I thought it was because the shady dealings Cohen did were at Trump's direction/request, for Trump's benefit.

Trump has many times claimed he would pay the legal fees of others who break the law on his behalf. And then never follows through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298