NY - $250m fraud against Former President Donald Trump, Trump Org., Eric, Donald Jr., Sept 2022, Trial 2 Oct 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alternates chosen after evidence is presented so no juror knows if s/he is an alternate or not. Otherwise alternates could "tune out" during trial, thinking they don't need to deliberate so paying attention doesn't matter. This way, the jurors stay engaged. imo

Thanks - that makes sense! :)

Just wondering about the only 6 jurors instead of the usual 12. Guess civil cases are different.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was because the shady dealings Cohen did were at Trump's direction/request, for Trump's benefit.

Trump has many times claimed he would pay the legal fees of others who break the law on his behalf. And then never follows through.

You could be right, but to me that would be like taking someone to court because they stole your crate of illegally acquired weapons. The law can't be used to enforce the moral code of those who disregard the law.

But ... that appears to be a moot point now.

Inner City Press reporting on twitter that the parties have settled.

Sounds as though Michael Cohen is happy with the settlement.

“This matter has been resolved in a manner satisfactory to all parties,” Cohen told The News.
Michael Cohen to settle breach of contract with lawsuit with Trump Organization

I read yesterday that MC had an indemnity agreement with the Trump Organisation. Link
With the organisation saying that MC's crimes (on behalf of DT) voided that agreement. I guess not.

So - from this I gather there will only be 6 jurors - the other 3 will be alternates AFTER evidence is presented?

TIA !
Yes. The three alternates will be selected from this original group of nine, leaving a jury of six.

ETA.... According to Inner City Press, there was a settlement. I need to see a better source.

July 21, 2023, 11:47 AM MDT / Updated July 21, 2023, 12:32 PM MDT
By Adam Reiss and Dareh Gregorian

Michael Cohen, the former Trump lawyer turned ferocious critic, has settled his lawsuit seeking $1.3 million in legal fees from the Trump Organization, Cohen and a company source confirmed to NBC News.
Attorneys for Cohen and the Trump company were in New York state Supreme Court in Manhattan on Friday working out the final terms of the deal, which were not disclosed.

“This matter has been resolved in a manner satisfactory to all parties,” Cohen said in a statement.

The New York attorney general’s office said it was “ready for trial” in the case against former President Trump, two of his children and The Trump Organization that alleged they engaged in widespread fraud.

“The case is ready for trial,” Kevin Wallace, senior enforcement counsel for the office, wrote in a filing Monday.

The independent financial monitor for the Trump Organization told a New York judge she identified issues of incompleteness and inconsistency in certain disclosures to lenders and others by the company owned by former president Donald Trump.

The trial in the case is set for Oct. 2.

James, last year, requested an outside monitor after becoming concerned that Trump was trying to move the legal structure of his companies out of New York to avoid her jurisdiction.

Buried in a "ready for trial" notice filed this week by New York Attorney General Letitia James is a warning: She may ask the judge in Trump's October 2 fraud trial to punish the former president for the "spoliation of evidence."

As defined under New York case law, "spoliation" is the intentional failure to preserve documents or other evidence for pending or reasonably foreseeable litigation.

Potential penalties for spoliation include fines and a contempt-of-court ruling. But a finding of spoliation can lead to still more serious consequences. It would allow a judge to hold any missing documents against the party that failed to turn them over.

Out of some 900,000 documents that the Trump Organization has turned over to James in response to her subpoenas, only ten have come from Trump's personal files, despite the fact that he ran the multi-billion-dollar real-estate and golf-resort business.

"In some instances, it's been pulling teeth to get documents," Wallace complained during a hearing in April of last year.

As CEO of a multi-billion-dollar real-estate company, Trump should have had many, many more than just ten personal business documents to turn over, the attorney general's lawyers have argued. After all, Trump's own top corporate lawyer, Alan Garten, said so himself.

Donald Trump fraudulently inflated his net worth by as much as $2.2 billion per year, New York officials said in court filings unsealed Wednesday ahead of his upcoming civil fraud trial.

The new estimates came in filings from the New York state attorney general’s office, which is suing Trump, some of his adult children and his business empire for falsifying his net worth in an effort to obtain favorable terms from banks and insurance companies. The trial is set to begin Oct. 2.

Donald Trump fraudulently inflated his net worth by as much as $2.2 billion per year, New York officials said in court filings unsealed Wednesday ahead of his upcoming civil fraud trial.

The new estimates came in filings from the New York state attorney general’s office, which is suing Trump, some of his adult children and his business empire for falsifying his net worth in an effort to obtain favorable terms from banks and insurance companies. The trial is set to begin Oct. 2.

He lied? Dang!

It's really long! Not sure I'll read it all, but I already ran across this gem:

"We had a very highly respected man who was actually somewhat of an overseer of the trust."

"Who was that?"

"I don't know his name. He was an attorney from Washington D.C. I didn't know him. I believe I met him once very quickly."

Pages 22-23, link in quoted post.

If anything, Trump is predictable. Everyone goes from "highly respected" to "hardly knew him."

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member