Found Deceased NY - Avonte Oquendo, 14, Long Island City, 4 Oct 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Did Nancy Grace take his story and show his picture? Can she now? I'm hoping he just got on the subway and is lost and he will be found somewhere in New York.

I don't really like the criticism of the people who are saying its unacceptable

As mentioned before, I work with severely autistic kids as my full time job. There is one kid who is hellbent on escapping.. He is one to one at all times.. We keep an eye on him constantly. And he has still escaped 10 times in 3-4 years...it's not as easy as everyone thinks, especially when there's 7 other kids living with them and 10+ in the same classroom. You might say its easy to keep an eye on one to ones, but it's not that easy when other staff need your help cause one of the other kids is acting up.

here in new york a 1:1 is just that. that 1:1 is not to do anything else but work with his or her kid. that is what they are paid for. this child had an IEP giving him a 1:1 aide and if that wasn't followed, i hope the family gets all $25 million they're suing for and that 1:1 loses his or her job and doesn't work with any kids with disabilities ever again.

signed, a mom of an autistic kid

ETA: I'm just hearing of this kid unfortunately most likely because he's black and from the city and isn't receiving the attention this case needs. i see that it was a security guard that let him pass. i wonder if Avonte had a behavior plan and if this security guard was trained on it. if he has a history of going AWOL, he should have been trained on it.

Did Nancy Grace take his story and show his picture? Can she now? I'm hoping he just got on the subway and is lost and he will be found somewhere in New York.

I don't think so. JVM has been following Miley Cyrus's twerking and NG has been discussing Madeline McCann. No offense but isn't a boy lost in NY a little more urgent? Time is of the essence!

I don't think so. JVM has been following Miley Cyrus's twerking and NG has been discussing Madeline McCann. No offense but isn't a boy lost in NY a little more urgent? Time is of the essence!

I totally agree.He should be way more important.

I'm so sick of Miley Cyrus.She makes me sick.If we all ignore her will she go away?

here in new york a 1:1 is just that. that 1:1 is not to do anything else but work with his or her kid. that is what they are paid for. this child had an IEP giving him a 1:1 aide and if that wasn't followed, i hope the family gets all $25 million they're suing for and that 1:1 loses his or her job and doesn't work with any kids with disabilities ever again.

Completely agree.

Nancy Grace covered the case on Thursday I think it was.... Vinne was covering for Nancy. Avonte's Mother was on the program. http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/10/10/autistic-boy-14-vanishes-school-broad-daylight

This video mentions that he ran off once before and was found within 20 minutes. http://pix11.com/2013/10/09/search-intensifies-for-missing-autistic-boy-avonte-oquendo/#axzz2hYNeckzo

Well that's good! I missed it somehow! They could sure spend more time focusing on missing people.

ETA: I'm just hearing of this kid unfortunately most likely because he's black and from the city and isn't receiving the attention this case needs. i see that it was a security guard that let him pass. i wonder if Avonte had a behavior plan and if this security guard was trained on it. if he has a history of going AWOL, he should have been trained on it.

I heard in one report that he had an aide assigned to him. He was one of six in her group. It appears he slipped away while there was a disturbance in the lunchroom and the teachers were distracted. "And she said, 'I saw him and I stopped and asked him, where are you going?'" McCoy said. "'And he turned around and looked at me and just walked out.'" http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=9276035

Well that's good! I missed it somehow! They could sure spend more time focusing on missing people.

Yes, I don't think they covered it for the entire hour, I'm not sure, I missed it too. This is all I could find, no full episodes.

Interview with his brothers,,,
They say he only just started attending that school. It has only been open for one month. Only familiar with the bus route.
Although I recall one of the brothers, in another interview, saying that Avonte had come there by train with his mother (before starting the bus.)

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2013/10/11/reward-increased-to-50k-for-missing-autistic-boy-from-new-york/

Nancy Grace covered the case on Thursday I think it was.... Vinne was covering for Nancy. Avonte's Mother was on the program. http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/10/10/autistic-boy-14-vanishes-school-broad-daylight

This video mentions that he ran off once before and was found within 20 minutes. http://pix11.com/2013/10/09/search-intensifies-for-missing-autistic-boy-avonte-oquendo/#axzz2hYNeckzo

That's real good.I don't have cable any more for now.So I have to look for the news on the internet now.

So was it this subway station he was near?

33 Stmore info‎
2 Alerts affecting this stationMore details »
Subway services from this station:
Flushing - Main St
7:48pm
7:53pm
Times Sq - 42 St
7:50pm
7:56pm
mta.info

Yes, I don't think they covered it for the entire hour, I'm not sure, I missed it too. This is all I could find, no full episodes.

Interview with his brothers,,,
They say he only just started attending that school. It has only been open for one month. Only familiar with the bus route.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2013/10/11/reward-increased-to-50k-for-missing-autistic-boy-from-new-york/

Thinking out loud here. From my experience with autistic children, they don't like change. He just started a new school. I'm thinking he missed his old school, his friends, his schedule and most likely his teachers. I don't know where he attended school before but maybe that was his motivation for running out. He seemed to understand he had to check the halls out before dashing out the door. Never underestimate a child and his capabilities. I wonder how far his old school is from his new one and are they constantly checking the area around the old school?

His mental ability is higher than stated; test bias due to a disability.

I also saw him look to see if anyone was watching when he took off- he knew what he was doing was wrong; at minimum- in the sense he knew he should not leave.

He stopped and had the presence of mind to check both halls.

We need to know if this was a reaction to the new school, to something/someone at school that triggered him- or was it just the chance to escape?

I think he is somewhere near where he wanted to go- the "where" being someone's home, a restaurant, the rail yard, zoo, etc., or on a train. His mother, brother, and teachers would know his pattern / what he runs for and to- if they are asked the right questions.

If he had a recent behavior analysis- it may hold some clues too.

That could still be consistent with a 7 year old's mental ability though, IMO. A 7 year old would know to look in both directions if he were trying to sneak away from someplace. And that sneaking away was wrong.

Yes Nancy Grace did a segment on his story Thursday evening. It seems as if almost everyone in New York is looking for and aware of Avonte, from what I gather.

You said before every time he ran away they found him at the subway station? Do you know what subway station that was and was he found at the same station every time?

BBM Someone wake me up when twerking is over please:facepalm: I'm embarrassed that I even know what twerking is!

Yes Nancy Grace did a segment on his story Thursday evening. It seems as if almost everyone in New York is looking for and aware of Avonte, from what I gather.

Thank You.That's good.I hope and pray they just keep the publicity up looking for him and he is found soon.

BBM Someone wake me up when twerking is over please:facepalm: I'm embarrassed that I even know what twerking is!

LOL What is twerking?It sounds stupid LOL.Should I even ask LOL

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janemt