NY - Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein arrested on sex trafficking, 6 July 2019 #2 *FOUND DECEASED IN JAIL

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a thirty minute check have made any difference?

I don't think a 30-minute interval check would have been often enough to prevent JE from quickly fashioning a makeshift noose with his bedsheet, wrapping it around his neck, and hanging himself. Even if he had been checked on every 30 minutes, he still had plenty of time to do the deed.

I don't think a 30-minute interval check would have been often enough to prevent JE from quickly fashioning a makeshift noose with his bedsheet, wrapping it around his neck, and hanging himself. Even if he had been checked on every 30 minutes, he still had plenty of time to do the deed.

I heard bed sheets are made of thin paper...so? Let me see if I can hunt that info down.

"He revealed the height from the floor to the ceiling “is like eight or nine feet. There’s no way for you to connect to anything. You have sheets, but they’re paper level, not strong enough. He (Epstein) was 200 pounds -- it would never happen,” asserted the former inmate."
Jeffrey Epstein Death: Suicide Is 'Impossible', Says Former Inmate

There’s ‘no way’ Jeffrey Epstein killed himself, a former NYC jail inmate says

If he was murdered, the medical examiners' report and the I.G. Report should confirm that. Cameras will show anyone going to or approaching that cell. If he didn't want to commit suicide, then there would have been a struggle when he was attacked, and his body should show numerous defensive marks.

In 99.9% of cases you are exactly right.

This is different. We are talking about a man who has been protected by the most powerful people on the planet. Regular rules do not apply.

This is like the mafia x 1000

If he was murdered, the medical examiners' report and the I.G. Report should confirm that. Cameras will show anyone going to or approaching that cell. If he didn't want to commit suicide, then there would have been a struggle when he was attacked, and his body should show numerous defensive marks.

BBM

After his first suicide attempt (when he claimed that someone tried to kill him), it was reported that he had marks around his neck (consistent with an attempted hanging), but I don't remember reading any reports of defensive marks (self-inflicted scratches as if he'd fought off an attack). IMO, without any defensive marks to indicate that he'd fought against a would-be killer, it was apparent that he tried to kill himself.

The same applies here. If he didn't have any defensive wounds that would support an attack scenario, then it's clear to me that he took his own life.

I haven't been on here in several weeks so I'm very late to the conversation, but perhaps I can shed a little light and clear up some myths on this subject. I happen to know a little bit about this...wink wink. Epstein was in suicide watch for longer than most inmates are. Folks on here stated that Epstein should have remained on suicide watch the entire time he was being held. There are a few reasons that is not practical. The Bureau's standard protocol is to keep an inmate on suicide watch ONLY for the amount of time the inmate is showing active signs of trying to harm himself. He is placed in a room that typically has large thick glass windows on three sides. There are typically a number of cameras in the room in which a Correctional Officer (not a "guard"!) sits directly outside of the room and constantly maintains view of the inmate. If the inmate tries to harm himself in any manner, then typically a team will enter the suicide watch room and "four point" the inmate - he is handcuffed to the bed with special soft restraints - each limb to a different corner. His status is reviewed every hour to determine if he has gained control of himself in order to release him from the restraints. The inmate has NOTHING in the cell that he can hurt himself with. The inmate may be given a paper gown, but most often they only have their underwear given to them. The inmate's status on suicide watch is consistently monitored by a committee usually consisting of Correctional Services staff, Health Services staff, Psychology staff, and typically an Associate Warden. Generally, in order to keep an inmate on suicide watch for more than 72 hours, the institution must gain the approval of the Regional Office. There must be written documentation as to why the inmate has to be kept on suicide watch. The Bureau has been under tremendous pressure by numerous civil rights and human rights activists in recent years regarding the housing of inmates in isolation, which has led to many revisions to its protocols in order to keep inmates in the least confines necessary. Again typically speaking, the Staff Psychologist is going to conduct interviews routinely with the inmate, and once they believe the inmate is no longer a threat to himself, they will remove the inmate from formal suicide watch and place him in Administrative Detention, (read "segregation"), under general suicide prevention rules. Someone pointed out that Epstein's attorneys requested he be taken off of suicide watch - let me assure you that would gain no traction what-so-ever with institution staff - they could not care less what his damn lawyers wanted. Once back in A.D. as it's referred to, there are no cameras in the cell, but there will be cameras at each end of the "range", the hallway that runs down between the cells. It's true that Epstein would have had a cell mate, but here's the catch, the cell mate must be one that is NOT conflicted with Epstein. If they had to move the cell mate out for any reason, then in order to place another inmate in Epstein's cell they would have had to thoroughly review any prospective inmates' history to ensure the inmate would not be a danger to Epstein. Now can you imagine how hard that would be? You can't just pull an inmate from general population and place them in A.D., so the inmate would have to be from some other cell in A.D. - which by and large, may not amount to any more than 25 inmates or so at any given time. About the only other inmate that would be suitable would be an inmate who is an accused pedophile, and one who is not violent at that. Now, on to the staff part. Yes the Bureau is extremely short-staffed. This is not the Bureau's fault, it is Congress' fault. Every Federal agency asks for a budget each year in order to ensure they have enough to operate. In the Bureau of Prisons, this means the budget must be sufficient to ensure the safety and welfare of staff and inmates, and that each institution can be operate in a secure and orderly fashion. The Bureau has well over a hundred facilities throughout the U.S., including Puerto Rico and Hawaii. Each stand-alone facility has a budget requirement of between 30 and 60 million dollars each fiscal year. That adds up. Staffing comes from an entirely different budget supplied through Congress, which often leads to staff shortfalls. That's why you are reading that the Staff that were suppose to be monitoring Epstein were working numerous overtime shifts, as well as one of the staff members being placed on mandatory overtime from another department. This is referred to as "augmenting." ALL staff who work within the confines of a Federal prison are classified as Law Enforcement officers and they must pass through the law enforcement academy - they are trained correctional workers - including Secretaries, Business Office staff, Human Resources staff, etc... everyone. They may not be as familiar with the instant confines of where they are working as a permanent correctional officer, notwithstanding, they are trained to work correctional posts the same as anyone. Now, with all that said, obviously there was a lapse in protocol and security, which allowed Epstein to hang himself. Epstein was not murdered. He set out to kill himself and he found the time to do it. If an inmate is bound and determined to kill himself, believe me, it's gonna happen. There is an on-going investigation by the Bureau's Inspector General. The staff responsible for decision-making as well as the staff who were suppose to monitor him will be held accountable. If anyone has questions I'd be happy to try an answer them.

No disrespect intended, but I can't bring myself to believe this was all just some big accident. Not yet. Not when the federal government routinely places prisoners like Chelsea Manning and others in solitary confinement for years.

Solitary confinement facts

When federal officers can successfully protect high risk inmates like El Chapo and John Gotti, it's reasonable to question how this happened.

Jeffrey Epstein was 'found hanging in his jail cell with a bed sheet wrapped around his neck' | Daily Mail Online

In 99.9% of cases you are exactly right.

This is different. We are talking about a man who has been protected by the most powerful people on the planet. Regular rules do not apply.

This is like the mafia x 1000

I agree! High profile or not JE was not a "typical" inmate at MCC. There's a lot more to it.
jmo

Tim Mak
@timkmak
NEW: The House Judiciary Committee is launching a bipartisan investigation into the circumstances of Jeffrey Epstein's death.

Chairman Jerry Nadler and Ranking Member Doug Collins wrote to the Bureau of Prisons asking for answers about Epstein's apparent suicide over the weekend

House Judiciary letter directs 23 questions to Bureau of Prisons.

Demands info on BOP's suicide prevention policies/resources/staffing.

Also requests info specific to Epstein's treatment by the agency, correctional officers involved, and video surveillance in or near cell

The 23 questions that the House Judiciary Committee is asking of the Bureau of Prisons. Demanding answers by August 21

See 23 questions in image below

EBzXXI7WsAANCHs.png

Tim Mak on Twitter

Link to full letter with questions--is much easier to read

08 12 19 Collins Nadler Letter to BOP Director Hurwitz Final

From the article:
The overriding impression I took away from our roughly 90-minute conversation was that Mr. Epstein knew an astonishing number of rich, famous and powerful people, and had photos to prove it. He also claimed to know a great deal about these people, some of it potentially damaging or embarrassing, including details about their supposed sexual proclivities and recreational drug use.

So one of my first thoughts on hearing of Mr. Epstein’s suicide was that many prominent men and at least a few women must be breathing sighs of relief that whatever Mr. Epstein knew, he has taken it with him.

My conclusion, nothing to see here, move along.

I heard bed sheets are made of thin paper...so? Let me see if I can hunt that info down.

"He revealed the height from the floor to the ceiling “is like eight or nine feet. There’s no way for you to connect to anything. You have sheets, but they’re paper level, not strong enough. He (Epstein) was 200 pounds -- it would never happen,” asserted the former inmate."
Jeffrey Epstein Death: Suicide Is 'Impossible', Says Former Inmate

There’s ‘no way’ Jeffrey Epstein killed himself, a former NYC jail inmate says

After reading the article @ the link you provided, this former inmate is referring to someone who is on suicide watch. According to the most recent reports, JE wasn't on suicide watch when he took his own life, so I think the paper sheets may be moot.

Tim Mak
@timkmak
NEW: The House Judiciary Committee is launching a bipartisan investigation into the circumstances of Jeffrey Epstein's death.

Chairman Jerry Nadler and Ranking Member Doug Collins wrote to the Bureau of Prisons asking for answers about Epstein's apparent suicide over the weekend

House Judiciary letter directs 23 questions to Bureau of Prisons.

Demands info on BOP's suicide prevention policies/resources/staffing.

Also requests info specific to Epstein's treatment by the agency, correctional officers involved, and video surveillance in or near cell

The 23 questions that the House Judiciary Committee is asking of the Bureau of Prisons. Demanding answers by August 21

Tim Mak on Twitter

Wow! An Investigation by the House.....now isn't that special. I feel so much better knowing that they're on the case, and will get to the bottom of things. LOL!

Also on Monday, it was revealed that Epstein was the target of extortion-related death threats from other other inmates, TMZ reported.

So even though Epstein was reportedly taken off suicide watch, he still should have been monitored around-the-clock, since he needed to be protected -- not from himself necessarily -- but from others.

"Several of the threats involved extortion .... put money in the inmate's commissary account or else endure physical violence," TMZ reported.

And these extortion threats began early on the 66-year-old financier's stay at the jail, before his July 23 apparent suicide attempt.
LATEST ON EPSTEIN: He reportedly hanged himself with prison bedsheet, was threatened with extortion death threats by other inmates, feds searching his Virgin Islands home

If he was grabbed from behind and put in a choke hold until unconscious, then had a sheet wrapped around his neck and pulled tight until dead, there would be no defensive wounds, and it may be tough to tell the difference between strangulation from the sheets or someone's arm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper