NY - Captured, escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think it WAS his idea. Always have. At least the planning aspect of it. Sweat was known in the past for his elaborate, detail oriented planning of crimes and such.

Matt did escape before, though

I just find it so hard to believe that she had do much pull in that prison. Either some of the CO's j7st got bored and stopped caring or she was bargaining with more than baked goods. I'm still in shock at all the shenanigans that went on there.

I especially appreciated the one comment suggesting that the guards on night shift read mail coming in and out of the prison. That makes sense -- the night shift guards don't have a lot going on, except for the hourly checks. According to one news account that I read (pertaining the the suicide of an inmate at another prison) the night guards routinely are on the computer playing games or conducting personal business or simply chatting with each other.

Maybe this is why Matt's letter to his daughter saying he'd see her on the outside is one of the reasons his letter got out through the prison and another reason he and Sweat escaped! The night shift guards were sleeping!

They broke into about a dozen cabins, accdg to a posting with link earlier on this thread -- LE listed all the locations (apparently based on what Sweat told them) but weren't apparently sure of the exact location of the cabins, so were asking people who had cabins in those areas to check them for missing items, or items left there by an unauthorized person. I do agree that the brand and expense of this particular backpack raises some eyebrows. As mentioned, it's not something likely to be left behind in a cabin. At the same time, it seems unlikely an accomplice would put out that much money on a backpack, unless the desire was for a camoflouge pattern, and that was all available. I almost fear for the original theory, that some hiker (or cabin occupant) may have been killed for it (and the food and supplies that would have been inside). Perhaps a hiker that had already set out before the escape became known.

Hopefully, someone would have missed them and reported it to authorities by now.

Am I mistaken or did Tillie deny having sex with anyone at the prison excluding her husband? I knew I should have learned how to bake, the world would be my oyster, lol!

:welcome6:

Matt did escape before, though

Yes, he did, more than once.

When he was 13, he stole a houseboat, and was sent to a group home for juvenile delinquents. He escaped from there, but I think it was pretty much a matter of running away. Interestingly, he hid in Allegheny State park, where he stole food and supplies from vacation cabins (sound familiar?)

When he was 20, he escaped from a jail by climbing the fence. I think the guard made some mistake or something. He hopped a freight train to his brother's house and was quickly rearrested.

Neither of those escapes involved a lot of planning. He also had a fouled escape attempt from Mexican prison, but not a lot of details about that, other than he made it to the roof of the prison, where he was shot.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-reg...ard-matt-david-sweat-for-her-husband-20150704

New article. Not much new but interesting. Tillie' change of heart ...

Thanks Karen in New York. Actually there is some new information in this article!

They called poor Lyle "the glitch". It sounds like Tillie was all into this up until the night when it actually was about to take place.

She was stuffing new blades into cardboard for Matt & having it given to him for painting surface...wow! And although she & Lyle did everything together, he never saw her stuffing hamburgers & cardboard???

Yep, and then he went to Mexico and killed another man.

You know, always just assumed that the murder in Mexico was just a bar room fight type of thing that got out of hand. But it wasn't. Matt had just fled to Mexico after killing that elderly man in New York. When he arrived in Mexico, he saw a guy in the strip club with a wad of cash in his hand, followed the man into the bathroom rob him, and stabbed him 9 times in the back. The man, Charles Perrault, was the father of 8 children, several of whom were very young when he was murdered.

If Matt hadn't been found and shot, he would have no doubt killed again.

You know, always just assumed that the murder in Mexico was just a bar room fight type of thing that got out of hand. But it wasn't. Matt had just fled to Mexico after killing that elderly man in New York. When he arrived in Mexico, he saw a guy in the strip club with a wad of cash in his hand, followed the man into the bathroom rob him, and stabbed him 9 times in the back. The man, Charles Perrault, was the father of 8 children, several of whom were very young when he was murdered.

If Matt hadn't been found and shot, he would have no doubt killed again.

He was such a sweetheart

Only in America can a convicted murderer cop-killer bleeding on a hospital bed from shots fired during a prison escape ask and be given the right to have a lawyer and say no more to investigators. Really, an exquisite absurdity.

On that note- outta here. Have a good holiday, those here in the US.

ETA.. just occurred to me. His lawyer is a public defender, no less, right? A NY state employee being paid for by the state of NY to defend Sweat against the NY employees investigating the escape. Too rich....

I just need to quote this because I couldn't agree more. As far as I'm concerned, he lost his "rights" when he shot and ran over Deputy Tarsia. It's farcical that he has a public defender and the right to remain silent.

Another cabin positively identified as being broken into by Matt and Sweat, 15 miles due west of prison.

The cabin didn’t have running water or electricity, but it did have whiskey and beer and “essentials.” Sweat told investigators about this cabin--he remembered enough about it for camp to be identifiable, police checked it and found fingerprints.

One of the cabin owners said “you couldn't tell they were there -- so they were neat about their break-in, they were neat about what they did there.”

If the two were this careful (initially) breaking into/staying in cabins, sounds possible that even cabin owners who checked for break ins might not have found anything amiss (unless they remembered how many cans of beer they left on the counter, lol).

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...-prison-escapees-hid-in-finneytown-mans-cabin

Another cabin positively identified as being broken into by Matt and Sweat, 15 miles due west of prison.

The cabin didn’t have running water or electricity, but it did have whiskey and beer and “essentials.” Sweat told investigators about this cabin--he remembered enough about it for camp to be identifiable, police checked it and found fingerprints.

One of the cabin owners said “you couldn't tell they were there -- so they were neat about their break-in, they were neat about what they did there.”

If the two were this careful (initially) breaking into/staying in cabins, sounds possible that even cabin owners who checked for break ins might not have found anything amiss (unless they remembered how many cans of beer they left on the counter, lol).

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...-prison-escapees-hid-in-finneytown-mans-cabin

I think something else that might add to the confusion is that the cabins are often owned by multiple people -- buddies at work or family groups. They're not always there at the same time. So, if you show up at your cabin, and the beer supply is a bit low, or the pop tarts are missing, you might just assume that one of the other owners used the cabin without restocking.

Last thoughts about that backpack.

Really betting Sweat stole that backpack when he was on his own, and that it came from a seasonal cabin in the Titus Mountain area (a ski resort is nearby).

Matt and Sweat were together when discovered at Twisted Horn Camp in Owls Head. That was on Saturday, June 20. Sweat says they stayed at Twisted Horn between June 16-20,th which means they had spent 10 nights in cabins (or in the woods) before reaching Owls Head. Camps between Dannemora and Owls Head are largely backwoods and primitive, many used primarily for hunting……not the most likely place to stumble upon a $180 specialized backpack.

When discovered on the 20th they fled quickly enough to leave behind socks, boots and underwear (see article about how undisturbed they left another cabin they had broken into). Given their haste, I doubt they had time to pack up that guitar case or whatever else they were using to carry stuff in.

If Sweat is telling the truth and remembers accurately, the two split up on Monday June 23. Matt was killed 3 days later in Malone, drunk. IIRC the “camp” he was known to have broken into after Owls Head was basically a squalid trailer, no $180 backpacks to be found there. ((OT- Doesn’t sound like Matt felt very ambitious (or hopeful?) after Owls Head and splitting up with Sweat)).

So, my Clue guess: Sweat with backpack from the ski area. ;) And maybe the backpack already had the pop tarts and maps in it, still partially loaded for a x-cross ski trip or a backcountry hike.

(BTW….IMO, the fact that Matt and Sweat spent 10 days reaching the CO cabin in Owls Head indicates Clinton CO’s hadn’t lined up any post-escape assistance. If they knew a cabin had been readied for them, they would have headed straight for it and could have reached it within a few days, maximum, and taken that long only if they were stopping every hour or so to admire the scenery.

Unanswered questions (for us anyway) I would ask if LE--

1. To Palmer: Why did you ask Tillie if there was anything wrong with the hamburger meat?

http://q13fox.com/2015/06/24/police...ee-one-of-two-n-y-prison-escapees-is-injured/

2. To Palmer and every CO on the ex-Honor Block: Where did they get the pills to knock out “The Glitch?”

3. To Palmer and every CO on the ex-Honor block: Where did they get the blueprints?

4. To Palmer: Why did Matt and Sweat want you to report to them about the movement of other inmates? Were Sweat And Matt in their cells on the days they asked you to report, and were they asking you to tell them whether or not the inmates within hearing distance of their cells were returning?

5. To Palmer and any CO responsible for the Honor Block row of cells housing Matt and Sweat:

Did you notice a stretch of days when Matt and Sweat didn’t leave their cells during the day, even though all the inmates around them did so?

((According to article below Honor Block inmates didn’t have to be in their cells and could visit other cells on “some days.” I’ve seen reports from ex-inmates that in fact inmates were allowed to be out of their cells every day, all day. ))

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Dannemora-escapees-were-on-good-behavior-tier-6313865.php

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rwiz
Back