NY - Captured, escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You know...if Lyle had trouble reading, seems it would be difficult for him to have an online account and keep up with the billing and all. Perhaps Tillie assisted him with that.

Good points both---about shared cabins and poor Lyle. :)

Sweat is back in prison, in the Five Points CF in Romulus NY. First the infirmary, then into solitary 23/24, on suicide watch.

Life on the Lam for Prison Escapees

[...]

“These guys were ghosts,” Joseph D’Amico, superintendent of the New York State Police, said in an interview. “They came out of the hole with nothing.”

[...]

Mr. Sweat was released early Sunday from an Albany hospital, where he was treated for two gunshot wounds to his torso, and transferred to the maximum-security Five Points Correctional Facility in Romulus, N. Y., according to the state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.

Mr. Sweat has helped investigators confirm what they already suspected about the fugitives’ time on the run, Mr. D’Amico said.

Mr. D’Amico said no evidence suggests they had help outside the prison’s walls.

“They were on their own, and they kind of leapt from cabin to cabin and made their way,” he said.

In the hours before guards discovered their absence, Messrs. Matt and Sweat charted a northwest course. They headed toward Lyon Mountain, a town whose mines once produced high-quality iron ore used to make suspension bridge cables across the country, according to Lawrence Gooley, a local historian.

Following old railroad beds would lead to populated areas where the escapees could have been spotted, Mr. Gooley said.

“They would have had to take it part way and then access other trails,” he said. “Without a map and compass, it wouldn’t seem possible.”

[...]

On Saturday, June 20, a local visited his cabin near Owls Head, N.Y. The cabin sits in a remote area with no cellphone service, about 2 miles down a trail for all-terrain vehicles, authorities said.

Upon arriving, he startled somebody inside, Mr. D’Amico said.

The intruder ran and dropped items on the way out, including underwear, a poncho, a water bottle and toothpaste, Mr. D’Amico said. Police, using DNA analysis, later tied both fugitives to the burglary.

[...]

But it also raised the stakes. Police believe the fugitives stole a 20-gauge shotgun from the cabin.

[...]

At one point, about 1,300 law officers were taking part in the search. It included a behind-scenes investigation to interview the fugitives’ relatives and known associates, and surveillance. Mr. D’Amico said police found no evidence that either man made a phone call inside or outside the prison.

[...]

Meanwhile, a driver towing a camper reported a bullet hole in the back of the vehicle, and police went to the area where they thought it had been shot. There had been other reports of shots fired. Heavily armed agents with the U.S. Border Patrol swooped in on two helicopters.

A cough was heard. An agent spotted Mr. Matt lying on his belly behind a downed tree, Swanton Sector Chief Patrol Agent John Pfeifer said.

Mr. Matt didn’t put his hands up as ordered, and pointed the shotgun at the agent, who was armed with an assault rifle, authorities said.

The agent shot Mr. Matt three times in the head, state police said.

Two days later, a state police sergeant on patrol in the town of Constable, a few miles from the Canadian border, spotted Mr. Sweat jogging along a road. Police said Mr. Sweat ignored the sergeant’s orders, dropped his backpack and ran toward the woods.

The sergeant shot him twice. Mr. Sweat had a backpack containing Pop-Tarts, a map and a transistor radio police believed he used to listen to media reports of officers’ movements."

More at link: http://www.wsj.com/articles/life-on-the-lam-for-the-prison-escapees-1435881782

If they "came out of the hole with nothing," where's the guitar case they said was missing from his cell?

No evidence that either made a phone call from inside or outside of the prison, but it has already been reported that Tillie made phone calls for Matt to his daughter. They communicated for months, allegedly about his back surgery.

I saw this a couple of days ago, but think this is an appropriate time to post it.

Jul 1
dedamwriter ‏@KimDedam
Of note: David Sweat is a con, a man who took a cop's life, his words may not all match the evidence

The "have a nice day" note was one big F-U. He's only told investigators the details he wants them to know... Much of which was embellished to make himself look like a legend, while simultaneously making those running the prison look like incompetent fools. JMO

OMG do you think Matt just shot at that passing camper to draw attention to himself as a way to give up ? After all he was smoking weed partying etc he must have known the gig was up and something else I noticed in the pic they released, I didn't see the gun he had, just saying

The "have a nice day" note was one big F-U. He's only told investigators the details he wants them to know... Much of which was embellished to make himself look like a legend, while simultaneously making those running the prison look like incompetent fools. JMO

No need for him to embellish to make prison officials look like incompetent fools! IMO they did that all by themselves!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This story is starting to dry up now. Not much more info with Sweat. Gene was not implicated at all by Sweat, Tilly was in a murder plot, and a bunch of things stolen from a bunch of cabins. The only real excitement is a back pack now? The only issue really left is going to be Tilly and her trial.

There will be no trial. They'll work out a plea agreement since she was so "cooperative." JMO

There will be no trial. They'll work out a plea agreement since she was so "cooperative." JMO

I can hear it now, " I only gave them the blades to cut their beds down cause they squeaked too much at night, then they used that against me later and said I had to help or else " LOL

So, the cardboard that was delivered dutifully to the inmates, also was not x-rayed. And Matt was on his belly when shot, but miraculously half-sitting in the grisly photo so that the head holes could be seen. OK. ? JMO His body was evidence....but it was moved for a photo op.

This isn't very nice of me but I simply can't resist. I think it's rather funny that Sweat is denying that he ever got it on with Tillie.

. Oh, no.....it wasn't me....huh uh.....I didn't have sex with that woman....it was just Matt. Lol

This isn't very nice of me but I simply can't resist. I think it's rather funny that Sweat is denying that he ever got it on with Tillie?

. Oh, no.....it wasn't me....huh uh.....I didn't have sex with that woman....it was just Matt. Lol

Doesn't want to tarnish his heroic image.....LOL

Last thoughts about that backpack.

Really betting Sweat stole that backpack when he was on his own, and that it came from a seasonal cabin in the Titus Mountain area (a ski resort is nearby).

Matt and Sweat were together when discovered at Twisted Horn Camp in Owls Head. That was on Saturday, June 20. Sweat says they stayed at Twisted Horn between June 16-20,th which means they had spent 10 nights in cabins (or in the woods) before reaching Owls Head. Camps between Dannemora and Owls Head are largely backwoods and primitive, many used primarily for hunting……not the most likely place to stumble upon a $180 specialized backpack.

When discovered on the 20th they fled quickly enough to leave behind socks, boots and underwear (see article about how undisturbed they left another cabin they had broken into). Given their haste, I doubt they had time to pack up that guitar case or whatever else they were using to carry stuff in.

If Sweat is telling the truth and remembers accurately, the two split up on Monday June 23. Matt was killed 3 days later in Malone, drunk. IIRC the “camp” he was known to have broken into after Owls Head was basically a squalid trailer, no $180 backpacks to be found there. ((OT- Doesn’t sound like Matt felt very ambitious (or hopeful?) after Owls Head and splitting up with Sweat)).

So, my Clue guess: Sweat with backpack from the ski area. ;) And maybe the backpack already had the pop tarts and maps in it, still partially loaded for a x-cross ski trip or a backcountry hike.

(BTW….IMO, the fact that Matt and Sweat spent 10 days reaching the CO cabin in Owls Head indicates Clinton CO’s hadn’t lined up any post-escape assistance. If they knew a cabin had been readied for them, they would have headed straight for it and could have reached it within a few days, maximum, and taken that long only if they were stopping every hour or so to admire the scenery.

Well, it's been a cold summer; nevertheless, no cross-country skiing at this time of the year. Are you thinking left behind from winter/spring? I do like your thoughts on chronology.

And I agree about Matt's lack of ambition/hope. One could almost feel sorry for him, if he weren't such a horrible person. Stumbling around, drunk and hungry and sick. I wonder if Sweat snuck out on him -- leaving the gun, but taking the maps and pop tarts. I'm betting it was Matt that was banging on that lady's house that one night -- sounds like something a drunk person would do.

Sweat is back in prison, in the Five Points CF in Romulus NY. First the infirmary, then into solitary 23/24, on suicide watch.

Finger Lakes area -- that puts him a lot closer to his mother -- less than 2 hours away. Wonder if she can visit him if he's in solitary?

His new digs: 'Each cell is equipped with a bed, a writing platform, a toilet and sink, and a facility-controlled shower which will limit movement.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-held-solitary-confinement.html#ixzz3f408WgH8

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Trying to catch up after being gone all day. Thanks for the updates!
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Well, I wonder if reality has set in with Sweat yet. Was it after he lawyered up & the LE interrogators were no longer trying to buddy up to him for information, or was it when they woke him up in the middle of the night to transfer him to Five Points Correctional. My bet is that reality will hit when the door locks to his new 105 sq ft cell of the 150 Special Housing Unit where he will eat, sleep, wash, and live 23 hours out of each and every day. He wanted to desperately escape from Clinton where he was sentenced to live out the rest of his life, succeeded and caught.Well Mr. Sweat, I'll bet you are thinking Clinton wasn't so bad now.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Hey, I wonder if they will allow him the few things he had collected from his old cell at Clinton, of course after they have thoroughly gone through the them![/COLOR]

Wow, what happened to my last post????

Judging from the waistlines of the ones pictured, I sort of doubt it. But that's good to know that it's for a tri-athlete. Gives some food for thought.

What do you sort of doubt? I'm unclear what you're referring to.

The one pictured in the NY State Police press release is the exact one I linked to. I posted the Amazon link because it had customer reviews, all of which commented on its functionality in triathlons they raced in.

Here is another site with the same backpack as the one from the Amazon link. This one has the exact photo that was used in the press release:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/t...MToyOmNjQ2F0MTAwNDAy&skidn=TYR0049-BLA-ONESIZ

https://www.nyspnews.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=46472

Now, the press release does state that the backpack Sweat had "resembles" the one pictured. That could either mean the one pictured is the exact style but just not the actual evidence (which is what I assumed), or it could mean the one he had looks similar to the one pictured, but perhaps is an older style that has been discontinued and the one pictured is the closest they could find.

Matt's was clearly a camo hunting backpack. And the one Sweat had certainly could have been purchased to be used as a hunting, hiking, or ski backpack, but I was just pointing out that it's specifically made and designed for triathlon use.

Anyway, it could be significant...it could mean nothing. :)

Finger Lakes area -- that puts him a lot closer to his mother -- less than 2 hours away. Wonder if she can visit him if he's in solitary?

His new digs: 'Each cell is equipped with a bed, a writing platform, a toilet and sink, and a facility-controlled shower which will limit movement.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-held-solitary-confinement.html#ixzz3f408WgH8

Just read a comment to that article stating Sweat looks like Putin. I hadn't thought of that previously but I agree!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rwiz
Back