NY - Christopher Porco - Another Menandez situation? - sentenced

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
SheerLuck said:
I agree. I wonder if the entire 2 months of e-mailing(September and October); Chris was simply conning his dad? In most of Peter Porco's e-mails; especially in October; he asks his son to please call home. By late October he is really begging his son to call. Yet it appears Porco never calls them as he constantly has an excuse for not calling; like it was too late or he was studying and forget; or whatever. My guess is that there were 2 reasons why Porco purposely avoided calling his parents. 1 is that somewhere along the way; I think he made the decision that he was basically going to rob his parents, so I'm guessing; he didn't call because its so much easier to lie and con someone with an e-mail as opposed to actually talking on the phone or face to face.
I am wondering why he typed all of those messages from his CELL PHONE instead of just calling them?? Gosh, it takes so long to type a message on one of those sprint phones!!

Almost all of the emails from Chris indicate that they were sent via the Sprint phone.

He was DEFINITELY avoiding them, lying and making excuses.

His parents seem like they were so giving to him and he just kept take, take, taking! :(

LovelyPigeon said:
How is this discrepancy explained?:

Didn't the prosecution's own witness, Johnathan Porco, testify under oath that the dog was sometimes kept in the basement?
I'm not sure if what McDermott said was in court or to Capitol News 9, but yes; Jonathon Porco had testified that the dog sometimes sleeps in the basement, so McDermott contradicts that. I'd say a small slip up by McDermott. I think maybe my speculation here a few weeks ago might be right. I had posted that maybe Chris Porco entered the home with surgical gloves(he worked at a vet) and wore the gloves throughout the murder, which is why no fingerprints were found anywhere, but that maybe he took the gloves off to pet his dog when he brought him downstairs. Maybe he slipped up by forgetting to put the gloves back on before closing the door. I had that idea because I didn't think anyone; even a crazy killer; would ever pet their dog, with gloves on. Just something weird about petting an animal with gloves on. I hope the neighbor who testifies about seeing the jeep in the driveway; is confident in his memory and that he has an honest demeanor

SheerLuck said:
What worries me about the verdict though is; how does the prosecution explain to the jury anything about the symptoms of being a sociopath. A lot of people who don't understand these diseases(like me before the Porco case); might have a hard time believing that a son could do this to his parents.
Very good point. And unless the prosecutors would discuss the concept, which clearly would be disallowed, then that might not be able to be overcome. I think that there is so much circumstantial evidence, however, and jurors tend to take the responsibility seriously, that the verdict will reflect those things. Here's hoping anyway.

I am also baffled about how Chris tells his parents he "lost his cell phone" yet still types to them from a sprint pcs phone??

I wonder if he got a new phone and didn't tell them the new number?
I mean, if you lose your phone, you can still keep the same number.

He's very strange, that's for sure.

He probably changed the number intentionally to avoid his parents. I wonder what the timing is between him "losing" his phone and all of the loan activity.

Mellen said:
Reading the emails between father and son was so sad. His Dad would have done anything to help him, but all Chris wanted to do was cheat and steal. Worst of all, it seems like his Dad even would have been willing to pay for school ("I still think I will be better off credit wise if we simply give you or advance you the money, if you insist on repaying."), but Chris wanted to pay it himself -- pretending to want to be responsible when really he knew it would make it possible for him to have a reason to open lines of credit in his father's name. Just horrifying.

I was somewhat surprised his Dad was so willing to send the SSN#, Driver's lic. #, and proof of employment info. to Chris. I'm pretty sure my attorney father would have wanted to deal with the bank or school directly himself at the point when so much of his personal information was needed.

I was surprised at this initially as well. But then I got to thinking about my son, if he asked for that information, I would give it to him. It would never enter my mind that he would do something dishonest, or to hurt me financially, much less something sinister.

I've been reading the http://www.wnyt.com Porco blog and there are some interesting comments posted by insider. They appear very sincere. It must be very difficult for CP's uncle John B Joan's Brother) to testify today for the prosecution. He and his wife took Joan into their home and provided care after she was discharged for rehab. Insider states the John B was aware of CP being a suspect from the beginning.

Hey Lovely Pidgeon; just a quick thing here. I checked on that thing about the dog sleeping in the basement. The dog would sometimes sleep in the basement, but what McDermott was trying to point out; was that the door to the basement was never closed; as as to prevent the dog from coming and going(the dog was always allowed to roam the entire house freely at all hours). He mispoke when he said the dog never stayed down there. McDermott was trying to point out that it was very odd that the door was closed in the first place and that Chris Porco's fingerprints just happened to be found on that door. By the way; in case anyone is wondering why the neighbor who saw the jeep; would be up and going to work at the unusual early hour of 4:00 a.m. in the morning; I heard he was contractor doing a job that was a few hours away.

Iwas thinking; the fingerprint of Chris Porco's on the door; could be very important evidence, because in all the e-mail exchanges with his father; from mid September up to November 14th; it's obvious he never visited home. So how does a fingerprint of his appear on the door? Does anyone know how long a fingerprint will stay on a door?

I was under the impression that fingerprints can last for a very extended period of time, did a quick check to verify and found this.....

snip....(sorry, still new to posting, and not sure if I am doing this correctly)
---------------------
[size=+1]How long do fingerprints last on evidence? [/size]Fingerprints on paper, cardboard and unfinished wood can last for up to forty years (per actual casework histories) unless exposed to water (and contaminate transfer prints can even then sometimes persist). Fingerprints on non-porous surfaces such as plastic, metal and glass can last for many years if not exposed to water and if left undisturbed.

[size=+1]Can a Fingerprint Expert determine if latent prints are "fresh" versus old? [/size]Estimates about the age of latent prints are unreliable when the experts guessing have no idea what was on the fingers that touched a surface. Latent prints that develop "quickly, strongly or dark" are not necessarily consistent with having been "recently" deposited. Unless scientific analysis of latent print residue on evidence was completed before processing with powder or chemicals to visualize latent prints (which is an analysis seldom performed because latent prints tend to be invisible until processed), then the nature of the latent print residue deposited by the fingers or palms cannot be known (whether it was fried chicken oil, grease, natural secretions from the fingers, etc.). Circumstantial evidence such as information that an item was cleaned thoroughly with glass cleaner, soap and water, etc., could date latent prints on the item as not being older than the last thorough cleaning.
--------------------------------------------------------[size=-1] [/size]

you can find more information regarding this here, where i copied and pasted this snip from http://www.onin.com/fp/lpfaq.html

Well; if fingerprints last so long; then why would this be the only print of Chris Porco found? Unless there's a way to distinguish between old prints and new prints and this was the only new print found. If that's the case, then I'd think this is important evidence; a fresh new print. If there is no way to distinguish an old and new print; then maybe it's not so important

I try to put myself in Joan's shoes,but I still don't think I could deny all the evidence. Its quite obvious the rest of the family knows the truth. I wonder when they are alone with Joan if they try and reason with her? If it were one of my sisters I would definitley tell it like it is. What an awful position to be in.

hockeymom said:
I try to put myself in Joan's shoes,but I still don't think I could deny all the evidence. Its quite obvious the rest of the family knows the truth. I wonder when they are alone with Joan if they try and reason with her? If it were one of my sisters I would definitley tell it like it is. What an awful position to be in.
Seeing her picture on the Times Union website is heartbreaking. Depending on her personality it might not matter what anyone says. I know my sister wouldn't care what my opinion was on anything; yet my mom would. As for her testimony; I thought it was as expected. She doesn't remember the attack and loves her son; which we all knew. What surprised me though was she remembers the yard work she did at noon that day, which was only about 14 hours before the attack. I know when people have accidents they can pass out and remember nothing about the accident, but I'm wondering if maybe sometimes in tramatic experiences people can experience some sort of self induced amnesia to where they block out something real unpleasant? I thought the prosecutors were smart to simply ask her 2 quick questions, which took just 5 minutes. They asked her if she remembers the attack and about some e-mails her and her son exchanged the previous month or so. I wonder if the jury might start to feel a bit conned by the ridiculously long defense interrogations of so many of the people called to the stand. I mean; today; for example; the prosecutors spend 5 quick minutes asking Joan 2 questions; with no bs or punches pulled and then the defense spends 5 hours questioning Joan? I wonder if the jury thinks this is normal or just a very desperate defense team. I also wonder what the jury thinks about the "mafia hit" idea. Normal or desperate?

jannuncutt said:
Uncle describes his relationship to Christopher as "my sister's son".

Jannuncutt; that's the kind of subtle and human stuff that the jury probably is picking up on. I can't picture anyone's uncle ever saying that. Also, Jonathon never making any eye contact with his brother; speak volumes as well. It probably also worries the defense a great deal. I think just 2 more people to testify for prosecution. The DNA expert and the neighbor who saw the jeep

1 more quick thing here. I might be wrong here, but I've always thought that most moms; have a sixth sense about when one of her kids might be breaking down or heading down the wrong path. Sadly, I think the final e-mail she sent to Chris; which was just 6 days before the murder, was very telling. I think she sensed something was very wrong. She started by writing, Dad and I are very upset your not communicating with us and she ended by saying; for God sake, call.

http://www.timesunion.com/specialreports/porco/graphics/Porcoemail1.pdf

Some of Joans testimony indicated that the Porco bedroom was very dark and I believe I heard Laurie Shanks state outside of court that Joan was unable to identify her attacker with the lack of light. I find it difficult to believe that a stranger unfamiliar with the house, where there is a dog present, would go to the garage to obtain an axe and go into a black bedroom to attack the victims. I have read on http://www.wnyt.com that Joan has been sheltered from the evidence gathered and presented against Christopher. Joans testimony indicates that she has never asked Christopher of his whereabouts on the night of the attack. Hopefully justice will be done for Peter and Joan.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back