GUILTY NY - DM, 6, & FM, 12, Huevelton, 13 August 2014 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No :( Why a dive team so early in the search ?

I'm just guessing that whoever may have grabbed the 6 yr old to throw in car and then coerced the 12 yr old to come with by threatening sister or something. It would be hard to grab 2 girls unless one went willingly. moo
ETA By 'willingly' I mean she got into the car on her own , not because she was willing to go.

People are allowed to leave the amish though, they even have rumspringer sp? where the teens go and live like non amish and try forbidden things like movies and electricity etc. Then they have to choose to come back to the amish church and way of life. If they choose not to they are shunned i think, or at least they no longer live with families etc. but it isn't something terrible that they are forced to live forever

[modsnip] I don't have a positive feeling about them, in the least. I truly hope these girls were removed by a relative. We will see.

I visit the community/area these girls are from on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. In this specific community they may not be welcoming in terms of homes-I really don't know- but they are friendly, and will talk to others at stores, and make conversation, outside of regular chatter. For ex. I spend quite a bit of time at the local Joannes in Ogdensburg, almost every time I am there there are Amish women in the store shopping for various fabrics.I have had numerous conversations with the adults/mothers as well as their young kids.

The young kids/teens do also run roadside stands alone.

I find the local community tends to be split on the Amish, theres not much middle ground, it's either anger/rage or just a "live and let live" attitude. I don't know if that is common everywhere, or just in this area though.

I am also from the area and I agree with your assessment. These kids are used to waiting on strangers at the farm stands. I doubt that they would have been leery of a car or person that they did not know.

Many in the community do not like the Amish because of the buggies on the road and the manure. The buggies have been involved in many accidents and some view them as a hazard on the roads. There is also resentment by some because the Amish are "protected" and do not always have the same laws as the rest of the community. I personally have no issue with the Amish and enjoy having them here.

Just reading the thread and have not gotten caught up yet, but...

I agree. They are wonderful people.

The fact that the thought of "rescue" keeps coming up is a bit off to me.
I do understand what posters here are trying to say, but IMO the wording is incorrect.
Amish people don't need to be rescued IMO. They are free to leave at any point. Since these are young children, I'm assuming at least one parent or guardian is still a member of the community. So the "rescue" is more likely a kidnapping. Just as any child who is taken by a family member who does not have legal right to them is a kidnapping. (if this is a family member)

Just making an observation.

Praying for these girls. I know they are scared.

JMO

No :( Why a dive team so early in the search ?

I'm just guessing that whoever may have grabbed the 6 yr old to throw in car and then coerced the 12 yr old to come with by threatening sister or something. It would be hard to grab 2 girls unless one went willingly. moo

There are a lot of small ponds, lakes and rivers in the area but it doesn't seem logical to bring in a dive team without evidence that they could be in the water.

Just reading the thread and have not gotten caught up yet, but...

I agree. They are wonderful people.

The fact that the thought of "rescue" keeps coming up is a bit off to me.
I do understand what posters here are trying to say, but IMO the wording is incorrect.
Amish people don't need to be rescued IMO. They are free to leave at any point. Since these are young children, I'm assuming at least one parent or guardian is still a member of the community. So the "rescue" is more likely a kidnapping. Just as any child who is taken by a family member who does not have legal right to them is a kidnapping. (if this is a family member)

Just making an observation.

Praying for these girls. I know they are scared.

JMO

I spend most of my time in and around Lancaster co, PA. If an established adult relative lives outside the community and abducts these girl children, I agree this is legally considered abduction, but to me personally, it is a rescue.
IMHO

Someone up thread posted about the number of child molesters there are around here. It seems to be an epidemic in this area.

Heroin is also a big problem lately, too. I am very scared for these girls. I really hope they are found safe and soon.

I spend most of my time in and around Lancaster co, PA. If an established adult relative lives outside the community and abducts these girl children, I agree this is legally considered abduction, but to me personally, it is a rescue.
IMHO

That's fine. We can always agree to disagree.
Happens all the time

The first thing that came to mind, and I don't know why, was the kidnapping of those 3 male teenagers in Israel awhile back. I can't help but wonder if kidnapping may start to be a form of terrorism here in this country. I apologize if this sort of "thinking out loud" is against the rules. Praying these sweet, innocent girls are found, unharmed.

I can't believe this! St. Lawrence is one of those counties that nothing ever happens there. My family is from there and I still have many cousins and their families there. What a shock! We used to buy cheese curd from one of the Amish farms there. I am praying for some good news for these precious little girls. There are so many areas they could be. It is very rural there, huge lakes, mountains, forests.

I am hopeful that two were taken together...fully believe the 12 year old will go to great lengths to protect her sister. The Amish do not, in my experience, shun the outside world, they live within their communities but are not isolated or hostile IMO. A rescue does not sound right to me but a predator does. In addition, youngsters are given responsibilities at an early age so while their respect for elders might be a hindrance, they are capable in surprising ways.

How scary for these girls! Prayers for their safety!

I am not in a position to start a map (only have my phone). Can someone please start one so that we can get a visual?

It appears that Mount Alone Road is a shorter dead end road with a few houses at the end, but there appears to be a farm at the corner by Black River Trail, which is a larger road. Does anyone know if the roadside stand is on the corner or is it further down Mount Alone Trail? Have they said which way the vehicle went when it left the stand?

Scary that here is a river that runs parallel to Black River Trail.

I can't believe this! St. Lawrence is one of those counties that nothing ever happens there. My family is from there and I still have many cousins and their families there. What a shock! We used to buy cheese curd from one of the Amish farms there. I am praying for some good news for these precious little girls. There are so many areas they could be. It is very rural there, huge lakes, mountains, forests.

It is true that not a lot happens there, but there is a HUGE drug problem. Not that that should really connect to this case, but it is a big issue there. There also happens to be alot of sex offendors sadly.

I think perhaps those who are speaking of "rescue" are confusing the Amish community with a Warren Jeffs type of compound. This is absolutely not that type of a community. Amish are free to move about their community, there are no armed guards or locked gates, they are free to travel into towns and to work outside their own community in construction and other businesses. They shop in local stores and eat in restaurants and interact with other community members daily.

Just saw the alert - hope they are found soon!

It is true that not a lot happens there, but there is a HUGE drug problem. Not that that should really connect to this case, but it is a big issue there. There also happens to be alot of sex offendors sadly.

Well I hope they are checking out every single one of the SO's right now.

I am so mad right now. I am down in the Catskills and will not have internet or cell service for the next few hours. These girls are in my prayers. Hopefully I can check in again soon.

DO NOT PASS JUDGMENT ON THE RELIGION. THAT'S NOT THE TOPIC OF DISCUSSION HERE.

Salem

Yes, exactly! This isn't a cult. They have free will and can make their own decisions. There's nothing to "rescue" them from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tootsieroll215