NY NY - Ellery, Rte 17, WhtFem 30-37, UP15489 193UFNY, GSW, poss from Canada or Europe, note, clothes, Dec'83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thought I'd bring this case back up since it's been on my mind! I lived in the Ellery area at the time and am still somewhat local. The road where she was dropped is unusually desolate for a divided highway, and was moreso in the 80s--she definitely isn't the only body found along there (the gossip is that the Buffalo mob uses the county as a dumping ground). If you were driving down from Canada, you'd probably take 90 South, which meets 17 just outside of Erie PA. Rte 17 is also the most direct route from Erie to NY.

Do you think the spot she was found is consistent with her traveling east (from Canada to America)> I posted this once...
From Canada, ...traveling to? Just some thoughts about the taken route and where she was found....According to a journalist the numbers on the Blue Boy note (Vancouver, BC, Canada) could have been internal phonenumbers of JFK airport. She was traveling probably east, was she on her way toJKF? The logical route from Erie, PA to JFK is different (route 80 would have been more logical) and not the route she was found. I find it strange that she was found on the illogical side of the road if she was travelling east. You have to cross the road ... maybe she tried to escape from the car/truck ... and then shot while crossing the road, but if she tried to escape wouldn’t it be more logical to run in the fields on the site of the car/truck she was sitting…the right seat…..

Does it make any sense to you @maggieo ?

The Buffalo mob is an intriguing angle, originated from Italië. They used women in the drug trafficking, wine and roses imported containing drugs. Flying into Canada and then traveling over the border.

If this were mob related important things to keep in mind are the Maggaddino crime family in Buffalo was involved in mob activities in the province of Ontario, and was closely aligned with the mob family in Montreal.

This reminds me of the Irondequoit Jane Doe (IJD) case, except this one appears to be more brutal.

Do you think the spot she was found is consistent with her traveling east (from Canada to America)> I posted this once...
From Canada, ...traveling to? Just some thoughts about the taken route and where she was found....According to a journalist the numbers on the Blue Boy note (Vancouver, BC, Canada) could have been internal phonenumbers of JFK airport. She was traveling probably east, was she on her way toJKF? The logical route from Erie, PA to JFK is different (route 80 would have been more logical) and not the route she was found. I find it strange that she was found on the illogical side of the road if she was travelling east. You have to cross the road ... maybe she tried to escape from the car/truck ... and then shot while crossing the road, but if she tried to escape wouldn’t it be more logical to run in the fields on the site of the car/truck she was sitting…the right seat…..

Does it make any sense to you @maggieo ?

I lived in upstate New York in 1978-79--The route most people would have taken from the Erie/Buffalo area to NYC was Route 17 across the southern tier, through Corning and Binghamton and down to NYC. I think it's I-86 now? It wasn't the shortest route but it was by far the best road, and it would let you stay north of NYC all the way to JFK and not have to deal with most of the NYC traffic.

I lived in upstate New York in 1978-79--The route most people would have taken from the Erie/Buffalo area to NYC was Route 17 across the southern tier, through Corning and Binghamton and down to NYC. I think it's I-86 now? It wasn't the shortest route but it was by far the best road, and it would let you stay north of NYC all the way to JFK and not have to deal with most of the NYC traffic.

I haven't seen much in the way of forensic details with this case. makes me wonder if this UID was shot and killed elsewhere, then dumped along 17. I looked it up on Google Earth earlier, my take is there's no way she was shot right there along 17. I'd thought maybe she was killed and left for dead off the highway somewhere, but reports indicate she was dumped along the highway.

Bless her.

I haven't seen much in the way of forensic details with this case. makes me wonder if this UID was shot and killed elsewhere, then dumped along 17. I looked it up on Google Earth earlier, my take is there's no way she was shot right there along 17. I'd thought maybe she was killed and left for dead off the highway somewhere, but reports indicate she was dumped along the highway.

Bless her.

People used to make jokes about not stopping beside that road to take a break because you'd probably find yourself peeing on a mob victim's remains.

Bless her.
I agree. There was snow and heavy rainfalls at the time. If she was shot at the scene you think there would have been a lot of blood, but this was never mentioned. Also she didn't have shoes on and no mentioning of panties, legging, stocking or the like.

Too old? rbbm.
3965DFUK - Isabella Skelton
3965DFUK - Isabella Skelton
3965DFUK.jpg

Name: Isabella Skelton
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: June 6, 1969
Location Last Seen: Crumpsall, Manchester, England

Physical Description
Date of Birth: January 21, 1934
Hair Color: Dark Brown, Short
Eye Color: Unknown
Nicknames/Aliases: Isabel/Izzy
Circumstances of Disappearance
Isabella Skelton (Maiden name McDowall) , also known as Isabel/Izzy was last seen in the morning of the 6th June 1969 by her daughter at her residence in Crumpsall, Manchester, England. (exact time unknown). Isabella worked for a Courier service in Manchester and there was a rumour that she may have travelled to the USA to work.

I think that it doesn't account the more than 10 years difference

Moreover, the other East-West route in New York is the Thruway, which in addition to tolls, has tollbooths with people who might remember you--and now there are cameras, though I'm not so sure that was the case in the early 80s. But 17/86 is desolate--no tollbooths, and hardly any rest stops, even.

Just another straw.....

Justice for Native Women: Helene Leyden, Missing from Alberta since 1970.

Helene Leyden, Missing from Alberta since 1970

Helene was 31 years old when she was last in contact with her family in Edmonton, Alberta. Her family reports they spoke to her sometime between 1968 and 1971. She lived in Edmonton but was known to travel to Vancouver. There is very little information available in her case and Helene remains missing. She is a mother of 5.

DOB: Unavailable, circa 1938 (Ellerly Doe is supposed to be born approx. between 1946 - 1950, between 33 and 37 when found, so that wouldn't be a match)
Description: Helene was 5'4 and 130 pounds (like Ellery Doe, 5'4 and128 pounds) at the time of her disappearance. She has black hair and brown eyes. She may also have gone by he names Helene Louise Ratfat and Helene Louisa Fortin.

Tribal Information: Helene is Mikisew Cree First Nation from Fort Chipweyan, Alberta.

https://www.cbc.ca/missingandmurdered/mmiw/profiles/helene-louise-ratfat

leyden_helen1.jpg
HeleneRatfat_300.jpg
193UFNY.jpg
leyden_helen.jpg
HeleneRatfat_300.jpg

delores-marie-whiteman.jpg

Delores Marie Whiteman
Delores was born in May, 1946 and was a member of the Standing Buffalo First Nation. Like many aboriginal women who are missing or murdered, Delores found herself vulnerable.

When Delores was a baby, her mother died and she bounced around from relative to relative. Eventually she ended up in the Lebret Indian Residential School.

Delores remained in residential school until she was about 17. However, without any immediate family, Delores didn't have a home to go back to. Once again she bounced from relative to relative, until she finally left for the city of Regina.

It was there, in 1963, that she gave birth to her daughter Lori. Ellery doe gave birth to a child approx. at least 15 years before. For a short time, the pair lived in an apartment on 12th Avenue across from the old Hudson's Bay store. But like so many aboriginal children in the 1960s, Lori was apprehended and put into care.

Searching for Delores
Lori began searching for her mother in the mid-1980s. Having reconnected with family on Standing Buffalo First Nation and other friends of her mothers, Lori began pulling at threads of her mother's story, trying to figure out where she might be.

Some family received visits from Delores, during which she would indicate where she was headed next. The destinations she mentioned included Saskatoon, Edmonton, Vancouver, Seattle and California.

Lori is fairly certain that her mother followed a cousin from Standing Buffalo to Vancouver. That woman was working in the sex trade and was murdered by her pimp. Lori, however, does not have definitive proof her mother was also working in the sex trade.

When the Robert Pickton serial killer case broke, Lori provided a DNA sample to the Vancouver police, but she was told they did not find her mother's DNA on Pickton's pig farm.

"There's just puzzles," Lori explains. "She had two other children in Saskatoon after me. So she's known to be there. Both of them are deceased, they were young when they passed away."

Knowing that her mother could have been in Vancouver, Lori posted the only picture she had of her on a bulletin board about missing women in that city. That's when she received one of the most substantial leads she's had in a long time.

"This lady got ahold of me," Lori said. "I've met her since then. I went out to Vancouver and met her and she took me through the downtown eastside to different places and she said, 'I'm virtually 100 per cent certain that your mom and I worked out of the same hotel. I remember her really well.'"

The woman told Lori that Delores and a handful of other women had an agreement with a hotel owner. In exchange for purchasing items from the hotel and not causing any trouble, they could work out of the hotel. The woman recalled that Delores had children.

Still, Lori does not have a way of proving the woman's story.

The Case today
A few years ago, RCMP and Regina police sat down with Lori to ask about her mother. They asked a lot of questions, took a new DNA samples and went through the information they had found. They also informed Lori about those two siblings who passed away in Saskatoon.

In 1995, a woman claiming to be Delores gave a statement to police in Edmonton. The records have since been purged, so the details of the statement are gone. Lori also has her doubts that person was actually her mother. The strangest thing.....

Not long after that, Lori received a phone call from police who said they had done all they could and that her mother's case was being turned back over to Project Care in Edmonton.

delores-marie-whiteman.jpg

Delores Marie Whiteman
Delores was born in May, 1946 and was a member of the Standing Buffalo First Nation. Like many aboriginal women who are missing or murdered, Delores found herself vulnerable.

When Delores was a baby, her mother died and she bounced around from relative to relative. Eventually she ended up in the Lebret Indian Residential School.

Delores remained in residential school until she was about 17. However, without any immediate family, Delores didn't have a home to go back to. Once again she bounced from relative to relative, until she finally left for the city of Regina.

It was there, in 1963, that she gave birth to her daughter Lori. Ellery doe gave birth to a child approx. at least 15 years before. For a short time, the pair lived in an apartment on 12th Avenue across from the old Hudson's Bay store. But like so many aboriginal children in the 1960s, Lori was apprehended and put into care.

Searching for Delores
Lori began searching for her mother in the mid-1980s. Having reconnected with family on Standing Buffalo First Nation and other friends of her mothers, Lori began pulling at threads of her mother's story, trying to figure out where she might be.

Some family received visits from Delores, during which she would indicate where she was headed next. The destinations she mentioned included Saskatoon, Edmonton, Vancouver, Seattle and California.

Lori is fairly certain that her mother followed a cousin from Standing Buffalo to Vancouver. That woman was working in the sex trade and was murdered by her pimp. Lori, however, does not have definitive proof her mother was also working in the sex trade.

When the Robert Pickton serial killer case broke, Lori provided a DNA sample to the Vancouver police, but she was told they did not find her mother's DNA on Pickton's pig farm.

"There's just puzzles," Lori explains. "She had two other children in Saskatoon after me. So she's known to be there. Both of them are deceased, they were young when they passed away."

Knowing that her mother could have been in Vancouver, Lori posted the only picture she had of her on a bulletin board about missing women in that city. That's when she received one of the most substantial leads she's had in a long time.

"This lady got ahold of me," Lori said. "I've met her since then. I went out to Vancouver and met her and she took me through the downtown eastside to different places and she said, 'I'm virtually 100 per cent certain that your mom and I worked out of the same hotel. I remember her really well.'"

The woman told Lori that Delores and a handful of other women had an agreement with a hotel owner. In exchange for purchasing items from the hotel and not causing any trouble, they could work out of the hotel. The woman recalled that Delores had children.

Still, Lori does not have a way of proving the woman's story.

The Case today
A few years ago, RCMP and Regina police sat down with Lori to ask about her mother. They asked a lot of questions, took a new DNA samples and went through the information they had found. They also informed Lori about those two siblings who passed away in Saskatoon.

In 1995, a woman claiming to be Delores gave a statement to police in Edmonton. The records have since been purged, so the details of the statement are gone. Lori also has her doubts that person was actually her mother. The strangest thing.....

Not long after that, Lori received a phone call from police who said they had done all they could and that her mother's case was being turned back over to Project Care in Edmonton.
CANADA - Canada - Delores 'Lolly' Whiteman, 42, Edmonton, AB, 1987

https://www.nwac.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/NWAC_Story_Telling_Delores_Whiteman.pdf

Remembered on Standing Buffalo: Delores Whiteman’s Story Delores “Lolly” Marie Whiteman was born on May 12, 1945, <other sources say, May, 1946> on the Standing Buffalo Dakota First Nation in Saskatchewan. Her family members have not seen or heard from her since the early 1980s. Delores’s daughter Laura has been searching for her mother since the late 1980s, but has yet to find any answers. Delores is the only child of Lena Whiteman, a single mother who died of tuberculosis when Delores was only two years old. After her mother’s death, Delores lived with different relatives on the reserve where poverty, violence and alcoholism were common. Despite these hardships, Delores searched for happiness in her life. Family and friends recall that Delores was always smiling, had a great sense of humour and was the life of the party. As a youth, Delores attended Lebret Indian Residential School, where she escaped the violence and alcoholism of the reserve. However, Lebret was not a place where Delores would have found the nurturing and guidance she needed to fulfill her dreams of becoming a nurse or working with children. Her experiences in residential school may have contributed to her decision to leave the reserve in 1962. Around this time Delores became pregnant with her daughter, Laura. She delivered her in the Grey Nuns’ Hospital in Regina. It must have been a difficult delivery, as the doctor had to use forceps. Delores kept Laura for almost one year, not much less time than she spent with her own mother as an infant. Delores was living in an apartment in downtown Regina when she had a visit from her grandfather, Paul Whiteman and his wife, Amelia Episkinew. They told Delores that they would keep the baby. They asked her to wait and said they would come back for Laura. When Delores’s grandparents returned after a few days the apartment was empty and both Delores and Laura were gone without a trace. Laura was placed in foster care at this time. This was during the era known as the “60s Scoop,” when it was not uncommon for “Indian” children to be removed in order to be placed with “white” families. Very little information is known about Delores’s life after she left Regina. Some family members recalled hearing rumours that Delores left for Edmonton, Vancouver or Toronto. Some even said they heard she went to the Northwest Territories. Other relatives reported that she had stayed in touch, writing letters postmarked from Edmonton in the late 1960s. She also visited her cousin on Piapot First Nation in 1963 or 1964. The cousin remembers Delores’s visit with her new baby, Laura. 3 Although it was thought she was using another name, no one remembered what the name was. Relatives who lived in Vancouver reported that Delores had been visiting them and in fact left one of the old ladies, Mrs. Redman, with a photograph of herself and three children. When Laura spoke to the family, they remembered that she told them she was with a man and was visiting “from California.” That photograph depicted Delores with two Caucasian children and a small baby that appeared to be First Nations. One other relative has consistently stated he remembers hearing that she went to the Seattle area. In 1987, Delores’s daughter Laura returned to Standing Buffalo Dakota First Nation after discovering this was her home community. After speaking to relatives and community members, Laura began to realize that her mother had not been seen or heard from in a very long time. In fact, many on the reserve seemed to have forgotten about her. Determined to locate her mother, Laura began to search phonebooks and the internet, placing thousands of calls across North America in search of her mother. She continued to talk to relatives and community members to gather some information about Delores’s life and disappearance. After several years of futile searching, Laura contacted police and attempted to file a missing persons report and to place a missing search with the Salvation Army. However, she was told repeatedly that as an adoptee she could neither file the missing persons report nor have access to information about her mother. She was told that because her adoption was a legal one, she was no longer considered to be “her daughter.” In 1995, in response to these barriers, Laura asked Chief Mel Isnana to file a missing persons report in Regina. He agreed to do so without hesitation, yet it appears police still refused to take Delores’s disappearance seriously. There was no progress on Delores Whiteman’s case from 1995 to 2005, as police maintained that there was no substance to Delores’s case and therefore no reason to conduct a search. Police inaction has forced Laura to conduct her own investigation, speaking to relatives, conducting private and online searches and pressing for a thorough investigation. In 2005, after the Robert Pickton case broke in Port Coquitlam and the Downtown Eastside, Laura contacted the Missing Persons Task Force to report her mother as a possible victim. Having known that she was in Vancouver and having heard speculation that she may have been working on the streets, Laura felt compelled to make this report. RCMP contacted Laura and had DNA taken to do a cross-check on the remains. Nothing was found and the RCMP felt that their thorough investigation turned up nothing that indicated Delores was missing or in harm. In fact, there was no information that could be found on Delores except that she was last seen and “seemed to be doing okay” when she was at the police station in Edmonton in 1987. This was a new piece of information for Laura and in following up on this information she discovered that the file had never been investigated in Regina when it was filed in 1995. Instead, it had been immediately transferred to Edmonton where it sat until 2005 when the Vancouver Missing Women’s Task Force requested it. When the file was returned to Edmonton, Laura contacted the Edmonton police only to learn that key information in the file is either missing or has been destroyed. Like piecing together a puzzle, Laura began to collect information about her mother’s life and the circumstances leading up to her disappearance. Although many of the police officers she spoke to claimed that they did not have a reason to search for Delores and believed that she did 4 not want to be found, Laura feels that this is not the case. In one instance an investigator asked Laura, “Why are you looking? What, exactly, is it you hope to get out of this meeting?” As Laura says, “no matter how bad things are you always want to go back…home.” Laura has received support in posting her mother’s information with the Vancouver Missing Women’s website, where Delores’s photograph and information is part of the collage of faces of missing women and the Doe Network. As well, many relatives and friends have searched for “Lolly,” but without any new information or leads it is difficult to know where to look. Despite this, Laura continues to search and continues to wait for answers. She often attends traditional ceremonies, smudges and prays to discover the truth about what happened to Delores. She still believes that one day the answers will come and that is why she will never stop searching

I sure hope Lori will find her mom....could she be Ellery Doe?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back