Deceased/Not Found NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 #1 *P. Hernandez guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have no idea one way or the other, but really...the Feds cannot locate the "relative"?

Not buying that.

For the sake of Etan and his family, I hope this doesn't turn out to be a mare's nest started by false accusations from a bitter ex-wife. It would be too cruel to get their hopes up after all these years only for it to come to nothing.

Have no idea one way or the other, but really...the Feds cannot locate the "relative"?

Not buying that.
They weren't trying too hard, I don't think. Judge probably indicated he or she would sign the warrant on the ex-wife's word alone if they didn't find the niece or whomever it was. (Along with the alleged "hit" by the cadaver dog allegedly scenting death in a building 79 years old when Etan disappeared.) Not the strongest probable cause, unless there are other elements we don't know.

I'd strongly advise people not to get their hopes up over a luminol test. Luminol reacts with anything that has iron or copper in its make up, and the list of things found on the average basement wall which would cause a positive reaction is probably as long as my arm.

Hopefully, the operational reasons for suspending the search in the basement involve tests with more specific chemicals which can distinguish between blood and other substances. Hoping that this family can get the answers they deserve after such a long nightmare, and bring Etan home.

BBM. Isn't SoHo known as the "cast-iron" district due to the buidings being made of cast iron?

BBM. Isn't SoHo known as the "cast-iron" district due to the buidings being made of cast iron?
Almost all of SoHo is included in the SoHo-Cast Iron Historic District, which was designated by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1973, extended in 2010, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1978.It consists of 26 blocks and approximately 500 buildings, many of them incorporating cast iron architectural elements.
---
SoHo boasts the greatest collection of cast-iron architecture in the world. Approximately 250 cast iron buildings stand in New York City and the majority of them are in SoHo.
(Wiki)

My friend/colleague is very freaked out and upset, he too is a native NYer who remembers the case vividly. He has spent a lot of time in that basement in the past few years <SNIP>

Even worse, he also believes that two weeks ago he may have seen the scent jars - he described glass jars with pads in them spaced evenly through the part of the basement he was in. When he asked the intern who was working the door what they were, the intern said he/she didn't know but thought they were part of some installation for the LL Gallery.

Asked my friend for any more details on the jars he saw.. He described them as resembling mason jars with some kind of absorbent cotton inside and some sort of lid. What really caught his eye was they were spaced every four feet, even going all the way down the hall to the door. It seemed out of place which is what made him ask about them.

And yes, it is absolutely monsooning today in NYC so don't read too much into the pause in the search.

Yes, it is. However, the possible stain of interest discovered yesterday has been reported as an organic substance (though unknown).

127 Prince Street I don't think is cast iron, or at least I can find no mention of such.
109 Prince Street is a historic cast-iron building in New York City, located in SoHo.
(Wiki)

Etan's parents, who live a block away from where the new search is happening, avoided reporters Saturday.

Instead, they posted a note next to their buzzer: "No comment."

But author Lisa Cohen, who's written about the case, told ABC News she's been in contact with Patz's father.

"He is just so grateful that they're actually moving forward with the case," said Cohen. "And if anything happens, it can bring some kind of peace to that family."

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=8630598

Reuters reports:

Investigators end search for New York boy missing since 1979

"'The search in the Patz location has concluded and there was nothing conclusive found,' said the law enforcement source, who declined to be identified because of the sensitive nature of the investigation."

Thank you.

I joined the site to be able to comment on this case, and was in the process of writing a long post clarifying some misunderstandings about the building itself, and happened to notice this item from Reuters, which tends to be a high quality source.

If this report proves accurate, I will be sad, as I was really hoping Etan's parents could have this finally finished, and as the possibility of his being in that basement actually fit very well with the details of the case.

Thank you.

I joined the site to be able to comment on this case, and was in the process of writing a long post clarifying some misunderstandings about the building itself, and happened to notice this item from Reuters, which tends to be a high quality source.

If this report proves accurate, I will be sad, as I was really hoping Etan's parents could have this finally finished, and as the possibility of his being in that basement actually fit very well with the details of the case.
I love Reuters, but all other sources I've checked still have the "will resume Monday" thing up.

ETA
Chicago Tribune has published it now, quoting the Reuters piece:

as has Daily Beast

Reuters reports:

"'The search in the Patz location has concluded and there was nothing conclusive found,' said the law enforcement source, who declined to be identified because of the sensitive nature of the investigation."

Wow! Reuters-an international news agency getting the news first!

:waitasec:

I love Reuters, too. As one of my go to sources for International News!

That's sad news indeed. If it does turn out to be a malicious false accusation from the handyman's ex wife which started all this, I think she should be prosecuted.

From Daily Beast:

Read it at Reuters

April 22, 2012 7:48 PM

(Reuters) - Investigators searching a New York basement for clues about the 1979 disappearance of a 6-year-old boy have ended their search after "nothing conclusive was found,"...

Perhaps...Investigators...stopped the search early on Sunday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly