Deceased/Not Found NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 #1 *P. Hernandez guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, FOOD was there until 1988. I have included a link that has a lot of information about SoHo at the time Etan disappeared. It is interesting and includes short video of SoHo in the 70s and pictures.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...wrSqBA&usg=AFQjCNF_QpkK6kTEo08JpVi62AgZwWCDVg

Wow - thanks for this. I did click on this link before to view the picture that included the boy who may or may not be Etan, but I didn't read any other entries. Now that I've read a handful of entries - I feel the need to clarify my earlier description of the old SoHo. I mean - I had known that by the '70s, SoHo was the home to many artistic types - but this blog really puts one in touch with the authentic spirit that infused the area back then.

And I didn't describe the old SoHo with any negative sentiment in mind - in some ways, the cosmetic descriptions of old SoHo vs. new SoHo appear more or less valid. I just didn't want to leave the impression that I was attempting to provide a complete picture of the neighborhood by calling it gritty and (relatively) dirty - or that I was suggesting anything negative about the the neighborhood's intrinsic qualities.

But it's so interesting to get an insider's perspective of SoHo - the SoHo before skyrocketing real-estate values and the "fauxation" of the bohemian energy.

I grew up in the Atlanta area - where - believe it or not - there are a few areas that are similar-in-spirit to both the old SoHo and the "new" one (albeit on a smaller scale). Growing up, I was fascinated by and fairly well-acquainted with at least one of these areas; even today (in my "down-and-out" years, lol), I sometimes shop at a health-food co-op in this area.

This may have been posted up-thread - New York Magazine's 2009 30th anniversary story about the disappearance of Etan:

What Happened to Etan Patz

A good read, about five pages.
DevilsPlayThing provided this link not too far above my self-quote here, but both of these articles, I think, are critical to an understanding of the Patz case, and, if you get the chance, read each. Both are well-written and interesting. The Vanity Fair piece was published in 1991. I'd start with it as one can see the evolution of thought about the prime suspect in the intervening years, for one thing.

The Long Search for Etan Patz (.pdf)

Has there been any news of findings yet? Just now reading up on news.... The post above speaking about a mothers intuition is so true.... A mother knows you just get a gut feeling even after 33 years.

Has there been any news of findings yet? Just now reading up on news.... The post above speaking about a mothers intuition is so true.... A mother knows you just get a gut feeling even after 33 years.
No news. They've resumed the dig.

33 years and not knowing what has happened to your child must be heartbreaking. Although I don't want to say this, but if Etan is passed I hope closure is soon for this poor family.

I wonder how much contact Etan's parents have had with OM over the years and if it was something that he has said to the parents to make them suspicious.

I watched a show on Etan last year and the way the show was portrayed it seemed like suspicion was on this handyman.

You know what amazes me and is increditible is that the Patz' never moved just in case he would come home I just couldn't imagine walking down the same street.

You know what amazes me and is increditible is that the Patz' never moved just in case he would come home I just couldn't imagine walking down the same street.

I agree with you 100%.

And to think that Etan may have been a few blocks away this whole time.

I feel for this family. Gut wrenching!!

And also keep the same phone number and yes I totally feel for this family too and any family who has a child go missing :( I just don't understand

Lawrence Kobilinsky, a forensics expert and professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, said the FBI likely started removing concrete in the spot where the cadaver dog indicated the presence of remains.

"If there is a body, it would likely be buried below the concrete in the soil," Kobilinsky said.

After so many years, all that would likely remain of the body would be bones and hair, but the bones should be well preserved, Kobilinsky said.

If investigators find bones, the FBI will be able to test them for a DNA match to Patz and may also be able to determine a cause of death, Kobilinsky said. A fractured skull would point to a trauma injury, and if a delicate neck bone is broken, that could indicate strangulation.

Since DNA decays in soil, it would be hard to find a DNA match to any other person in the dirt near the body — unless a weapon or some other item is uncovered, Kobilinsky said.

http://www.dnainfo.com/20120420/gre...gging-for-remains-soho-basement#ixzz1sh8ZmanY

“He was a very good craftsman. He could do anything. He did a lot of work for a lot of people.”

Miller was a regular in the tightly knit, artist-heavy neighborhood — “friendly, and everyone liked him,” said Kuzma.

In the decades after the Patz disappearance, Miller bounced around the country, landing in East Orange, N.J., Colorado, Massachusetts and Florida, records show.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...tan-patz-case-article-1.1064895#ixzz1shARFBRX

Farkas said his client “has spoken to the FBI repeatedly, on more than one occasion, within the last month.”

“Mr. Miller did not do this. That’s why he’s fully cooperating with the investigation,” Farkas said.

Miller’s son, Ansel Miller, yesterday said “I don’t believe” Othniel had anything to do with Etan’s disappearance, noting, “He didn’t get so much as a parking ticket” in his life.

Miller had an alibi and allowed the feds full access to the basement, Ansel said.

Ansel also said his father has suffered a stroke and a bad fall in recent years, and is unable to fully comprehend the events of the past several weeks.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...for_etan_IdWBL0WZbMOZXH50GslAAP#ixzz1shCoZ7Jz

Personally, I felt relieved when OM's attorney stepped forward-particularly in light of his age, his stroke, etc. IMO, whether or not he had anything to do with the events of that morning, an attorney was necessary.

So.....who else is thinking LE isn't going to find anything in the basement of 127B Prince Street 10012, or am I just the defeatist type? Will this turn out to be a great big nothing? God, I hope not. Positive sorts, send this case some good vibrations!

So.....who else is thinking LE isn't going to find anything in the basement of 127B Prince Street 10012, or am I just the defeatist type? Will this turn out to be a great big nothing? God, I hope not. Positive sorts, send this case some good vibrations!

BBM. I'm right there with you. I don't think they are going to find anything. The area is not that big and I think if they were going to find anything, they would have found it already.

It would explain why Etan's parents having spoken. They probably knew they wouldn't find anything and didn't want to get their hopes up.

Sad, but I think somebody wanted to get media attention for possible re-election or it was a desperate attempt to try to keep Ramos in prison.

Yeah, I'm not sure they will find anything, particularly because Miller has cooperated all along and even told them at one point they could dig it up, as long as he were reimbursed for the floor (and who could blame someone for that?). It's certainly possible he had something to do with it, but in all these intervening years, nothing? I'm doubtful Etan is there.

Then again, the Orthodox Jewish boy missing in NYC last year (Levi, I believe), didn't go far either. They just found him quicker.

BBM. I'm right there with you. I don't think they are going to find anything. The area is not that big and I think if they were going to find anything, they would have found it already.

It would explain why Etan's parents having spoken. They probably knew they wouldn't find anything and didn't want to get their hopes up.

Sad, but I think somebody wanted to get media attention for possible re-election or it was a desperate attempt to try to keep Ramos in prison.
I've got enough faith in Cy Vance to think this isn't all a publicity ploy, but I know politics well enough to know that having one's name in the paper in an effort to find a famous case's missng child isn't going to hurt matters. But as well, if they don't find anything, it might backfire and hurt his election chances after spending beaucoups bucks on this thing. One can bet they've considered that in a political sense too.

Keeping Ramos in prison is a more likely guess. He's 68 but who wants him on the streets again - have you seen his latest prison mug shot? Yikes! He would still appear to be the most likely suspect, but he couldn't have known for sure that Etan would be by himself that morning - his mom had planned to walk him to the bus stop but her other son had a sleepover guest so she let Etan go alone. It would mean Ramos had to just happen to be in the right place at the right time at an early hour of the morning. But of course, maybe he was.

I think they really at least THINK they've developed new info, and at least some of the solution lies with Mr. Miller and 127B Prince. It appears that, if it is, he isn't going to talk, and the basement's not going to either, so to speak; it's a big fail if that is the case. I'm glad they're at least applying pressure - in other quarters as well; a second individual's been interviewed and the FBI's acting like more are on their menu, more places will be searched, etc. etc. Could all just be hot air. Hope not though.

Did anyone see the picture of Mrs. Patz at The Daily Mail?

She looked so sad and defeated. I noticed her hair was the same style it was when Etan disappeared. She probably didn't want to look different in case he came home or passed her on the street. Absolutely heartbreaking.

And if this whole wild goose chase was just some attempt for someone's political gain, then shame on them.

These parents have undoubtedly been able to hear all the machinery being used since it is so close to their home. I don't know how they have been able to handle it. I would have had to go check into a hotel or stay with someone. They are incredibly strong people.

But I really do believe if there really was a chance Miller was responsible that they would have already pursued it after all these years, regardless of the cost.

have you seen his latest prison mug shot?[/B] Yikes!

Respectfully snipped and BBM.

Yes, I saw that mugshot. Scary! He definitely looks like he could be related to Charles Manson and I would be scared to death if I saw him on the street.

Up within the last couple of minutes:

Concrete floor entirely removed in hunt for NY boy
NEW YORK - (AP) -- Investigators have finished ripping up the concrete floor of the New York City basement where they are searching for traces of a 6-year-old boy who vanished in 1979.

So far, authorities haven't given any outward sign that they've found anything.
---
FBI spokesman Tim Flannelly said Saturday that all the concrete flooring had been removed.

He said the next step is digging in the dirt beneath the floor.
---
http://www.newsday.com/news/region-...entirely-removed-in-hunt-for-ny-boy-1.3674098

The moment (or next couple days) of truth may be at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper