NY - Giraffe Watch: April, 15, due to give birth at Animal Adventure Park

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't know how patting an animal on the side every couple of days really gives info.

We know now that they can ultrasound giraffes. Maybe it is time to spend some of the money they have earned and it done to assure all is well??

I do not know if I am being a neurotic daddy (highly likely) but it can't hurt for a further inspection to make sure everything in the oven is doing so correctly moo

She seems to be progressing okay so at this point I don't see a need for an ultrasound. Months ago when they were trying to determine her due date - yea, but now I think we're really close and unless she presents abnormalities in delivery I can't see them using the ultrasound JMO.

Was trying to find out how far from delivery do they start making milk - but this is interesting!

Unlike many animals, particularly cows, a giraffe’s udders do not appear to inflate when they are nursing their youngsters with milk.
One of the major changes that a female giraffe displays in the later stages of pregnancy is developing “wax caps” on her four teat, preventing vital milk rich in antibodies to protect the newborn calf from infections leaking.

“Wax caps are what develops on the teats of the udder to keep colostrum in the udder and to ensure it is for the baby's first nursing.
"Colostrum is a form of milk that is produced and holds the many antibodies and other essentials to allow any new baby to thrive.

I think this is what Dobbies issue was not sure tho.

“Giraffes do not 'bag out' like cows, goats, pigs, or other animals in lactation. It is a very subtle fill and development.”

Caps are shed just prior or during delivery, or can be removed by the suckle of the baby.”

[FONT=&amp]restlessness, tail raised, shedding of the wax caps on her teats, loss of appetite, swelling in the hind quarter, biting or licking her flanks

[/FONT]
udders filling, which ‘generally happens just prior to birthing’ Oh brother

http://www.express.co.uk/news/natur...ffe-teets-baby-imminent-animal-adventure-park

<snipped>
BBM

Wax Caps, oy vey. What a shame, 'ear wax' is about it for us humans, not nearly as interesting as Aprils 'wax capped teets'.

Hmmm, I bet September Sapphires wax caps will be a beautiful shade of blue.

I wish we made candle wax. HA! That would be sure to give Giraffes a run for their lettuce and carrots.

My useless banter is over. Carry on...

April Fools? Conspiracy Theorists Questioning Zoo Giraffe's Pregnancy

by Inside Edition 4:17 PM EDT, March 30, 2017

Could the pregnancy of April the giraffe be an elaborate hoax?

Some conspiracy theorists believe that the giraffe isn’t really pregnant at all.

April's baby watch has become a national obsession, with millions eagerly tuning in to her around-the-clock live feed, hoping to catch the moment she gives birth at Animal Adventure Park in Harpursville, New York.

April was supposedly due in February, but is still yet to give birth...

http://www.insideedition.com/headli...-theorists-questioning-zoo-giraffes-pregnancy

April Fools? Conspiracy Theorists Questioning Zoo Giraffe's Pregnancy

by Inside Edition 4:17 PM EDT, March 30, 2017

Could the pregnancy of April the giraffe be an elaborate hoax?

Some conspiracy theorists believe that the giraffe isn’t really pregnant at all.

April's baby watch has become a national obsession, with millions eagerly tuning in to her around-the-clock live feed, hoping to catch the moment she gives birth at Animal Adventure Park in Harpursville, New York.

April was supposedly due in February, but is still yet to give birth...

http://www.insideedition.com/headli...-theorists-questioning-zoo-giraffes-pregnancy

Oh really?
What did April do, tell an innocent newborn calf...Get.In.Mah.Belly?!
LOL, I suppose so.

JMHO, I believe April to be due now, instead of February. No way she is 17months preggers. Technically.

Also, she is way, way bigger than she was almost 2 months ago, dontyathink?

Whatever the real story, I lurve me some April and Oliver. :heart: :heart:

Thanks for posting, BetteDavisEyes

Heck, by the time she is born,
April may give birth to "May"

:waiting:

Btw, where is our giraffee emoticon? We had it a few years ago iirc.

Oh really?
What did April do, tell an innocent newborn calf...Get.In.Mah.Belly?!
LOL, I suppose so.

JMHO, I believe April to be due now, instead of February. No way she is 17months preggers. Technically.

Also, she is way, way bigger than she was almost 2 months ago, dontyathink?

Whatever the real story, I lurve me some April and Oliver. :heart: :heart:

Thanks for posting, BetteDavisEyes

:lol:

I spent Feb and March waiting on April! Come on girl!!!

attachment.php

I found this cutie at the grocery store today. No lies, I'm just that weird lady who still likes stuffed animals! He got angry that I turned him around for this pic, he's really, REALLY into April. LOL :loveyou::blushing:

Attachments

• 20170330_173913.jpg
    20170330_173913.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 108
maybe april is pulling a big april fool's day prank and have her baby on aprl 1st. :happydance:

Twins on April 1st... or holding out for the moon :-)

I was catching up, on demand, of planet Earth II last night. It was talking about one of the animals that always had twins! I wish I could remember which animal that was.

Hehe...wasn't a giraffe.

3/3 Evening Update

It was clear to all watching, the evening keeper check was cut short by April. Her behavior is very off from normal demeanor; this is to be expected. Mammary development photos were not captured, but udders reported as full. It should not be much longer!
We hope to have an official text alert system available for subscription tomorrow. Subscribing will get you a Labor Alert text, but also exclusive texts, info, photo links, and calf updates over the coming months. Much of the content will be exclusive to the text alert community. A portion of the fee will get kicked back to the Giraffe Conservation Foundation for wild conservation of giraffes.
When that is available - we will post on all social media platforms and our websites.
Tune in tomorrow morning to Good Morning America for a live segment from the Giraffe Barn. GMA crews and Toys R Us will be on site for the LAST media interview before we have a calf (if one is not born this evening)!
We wish everyone a good evening (or day)! Keep watching - we are in the home stretch!
Photo Credit: BingPop "Calf's first sight of Dad"

17635362_943481349088078_7791863887117082405_o.jpg

3/3 Evening Update

It was clear to all watching, the evening keeper check was cut short by April. Her behavior is very off from normal demeanor; this is to be expected. Mammary development photos were not captured, but udders reported as full. It should not be much longer!
We hope to have an official text alert system available for subscription tomorrow. Subscribing will get you a Labor Alert text, but also exclusive texts, info, photo links, and calf updates over the coming months. Much of the content will be exclusive to the text alert community. A portion of the fee will get kicked back to the Giraffe Conservation Foundation for wild conservation of giraffes.
When that is available - we will post on all social media platforms and our websites.
Tune in tomorrow morning to Good Morning America for a live segment from the Giraffe Barn. GMA crews and Toys R Us will be on site for the LAST media interview before we have a calf (if one is not born this evening)!
We wish everyone a good evening (or day)! Keep watching - we are in the home stretch!
Photo Credit: BingPop "Calf's first sight of Dad"

17635362_943481349088078_7791863887117082405_o.jpg

"will you all just leave me alone and let me have this calf already"

So are they thinking no calf tonight then? Or just...well .... I don't know!

I saw an article somewhere today that smoeone in Seattle had set up an alert system and the money was going to Giraffe Conservation, but I don't remember where I saw it. I won't be available much of tomorrow, so look for a calf then! LOL!

Comparing that Jan belly photo to today...... WOW! Wish I could do a side by side. Just amazing, and she has no stretch marks :laughing:

Priceless... Oliver's look confuses me. My eyes don't even know where to land. That face! The mind, it reels...
Wait. What is the nob/horn in front of his ossicones?

Fill in the blank:

If Oliver were human, I think this look says _____________________.

a) Yo dawg, what it do?
b) I am so not down with whatever the hell its is you think you are doing.
c) Go! Away!
d) If I could reach you, you would regret what you just did.
e) No soup for you!

:skip:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members