Found Safe NY - Iona, 51, & Emily Costello, 14, Greenport, 30 March 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This case is so interesting. Yesterday, I felt quite sure that the pair had been murdered in a "hit" related to the will dispute. But today, after reading about the adult children's' victory in the matter of the will, I have an entirely different perspective. Whoever found that is a great sleuther, BTW!

I wonder if the assets in the will were totally dispersed and were "liquid." If so, I bet she's gone to another country and the $$ is safely tucked away where George's children can't get access to it (but she can). Think Swiss bank account or Caymans.

I'm also shocked that Emily was attending a school costing $36k a year. Is that really true? This isn't college; it's what, ninth grade?!? Who sends their kid to a school that expensive unless your filthy rich or aspiring to be? That's just strange, but it may indicate something about Iona's personality. I wonder whether Emily was going to this school before her father died or if it was after the probate was settled and Iona got $$. Is it a boarding school?

I think LE knows lots more than they're letting on. If Iona prepaid her car park for a long duration, that tells me she wanted time to be gone before being noticed. But if Iona cooked up a false will to get George's assets fraudulently, it sounds like she has yet to be charged with a crime. So what would LE do if they feel she skipped out but criminal charges were t pending? My guess is they wouldn't say too much because they can't compromise her privacy under such circumstances.

Anyway, I hope that's what happened. If so, they will be found eventually. If not, their being missing with no phone pings is a very ominous sign. But I don't think it would be a random crime if they were abducted. And knowing where to find two people while they're in the city seeing a show would be too difficult to pin down with too many variables.

I could completely change my opinion again in 5 minutes though! And, it's all JMO.

Respectfully Bolded By Me ^^

All it indicates to me is that they had the money to provide their daughter with a private school education, and they valued the education that particular private school provided.

Nothing sinister nor strange about her/their choice in private v public ed.

Having money shouldn't automatically be associated with evil motives imo. Poverty should not be associated with possessing evil intentions either.

Christopher Donato @chrisdonato04 · 3h 3 hours ago

#EXCLUSIVE: police pick up car belonging to missing mom Iona Costello and daughter Emily from Times Square garage

https://twitter.com/chrisdonato04

Photo illustrates vehicle is being driven, not towed.

I simply wish she would contact her 80 year old mother IF possible, or her attorney, so he can do so.

Part of me says they walked away from everything and started over.

However, walking away from the farm and animals makes me doubt that theory.

JMO.

There are some weird jumps being made in this thread unless people are reading sources that they can't cite directly.

1) An improperly executed will doesn't mean she committed fraud. It could easily be a technical thing.

2)The deceased would have a legal obligation to provide for his wife and minor child; even if he left a will leaving his money to his kids from a previous marriage, he couldn't legally disinherit his wife and minor child entirely. It is definitely not like she'd be left destitute.

3) If her kids won in court last year and the appeal is still underway, why flee now? This isn't like a criminal thing: she could leave whenever she wanted post-verdict even if she lost. She left her house behind, which is almost certainly worth more than whatever cash she could manage to sneak away, so this doesn't seem financially motivated.

I think there's a good chance they planned a normal vacation, but something happened...

Surely they saw them walking then on camera?

What direction? That would be a clue, right?

What troubles me is why there cell phones were off.

Usually people that go into the City for a few days they would go to the same Hotel.

Family should search for her bank record receipts at her home. Should be some clue that she got in the mail.

Seeing -maybe stress related-is troubling.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/19/mom-and-daughter-14-vanish-after-trip-to-nyc-times-square/

A mention of four children from Mr. Costello's 1st marriage, contesting his will for the past 2 years.

Long Island mother and daughter who vanished after NYC visit have family members facing criminal charges

Iona’s ne’er-do-well stepson, George Jr., 45, never got along with his stepmom, multiple family members said Sunday.

In an interview with the Daily News from jail in Palm Beach County, Fla., George Jr. said he was visiting in New York when Iona and Emily disappeared.

“I was staying in my Hampton Bay home,” he said, noting he flew back to Florida on April 1.

He is being held related to a domestic dispute, he said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/long-island-mom-daughter-vanished-shady-kin-article-1.2191108

BBM

His fiancée, who asked to remain anonymous, said it was a “weird coincidence” George was in town at the time, but insisted he was with her the whole time.

Iona’s mother said she does not believe George Jr. would harm her daughter — though she didn’t have a high opinion of him.

“The less said about George Jr., the better,” Diana Malcolmson said. “He’s a mixed-up kid and there’s no point in talking about a mixed-up kid.”

George Jr., who has at least 10 arrests, according to court records, said he was never close to Iona.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/long-island-mom-daughter-vanished-shady-kin-article-1.2191108

BBM

There are some weird jumps being made in this thread unless people are reading sources that they can't cite directly.

1) An improperly executed will doesn't mean she committed fraud. It could easily be a technical thing.

2)The deceased would have a legal obligation to provide for his wife and minor child; even if he left a will leaving his money to his kids from a previous marriage, he couldn't legally disinherit his wife and minor child entirely. It is definitely not like she'd be left destitute.

3) If her kids won in court last year and the appeal is still underway, why flee now? This isn't like a criminal thing: she could leave whenever she wanted post-verdict even if she lost. She left her house behind, which is almost certainly worth more than whatever cash she could manage to sneak away, so this doesn't seem financially motivated.

I think there's a good chance they planned a normal vacation, but something happened...

I agree with you, except a few things nag at me. It sounds like everything is locked up financially until the will is settled. So, she might have assets, but can't do anything with them. So, walking away from them might not be much different than sitting there without being able to use the assets. Of course, she can probably access money to pay for herself and her child, but I don't know the details, of course.

And, it sounds like she was independent before marriage so she may have assets of her own so she can walk away and still manage financially.

It could be the legal tangles are very upsetting to her, perhaps very embarrassing too. And, it's possible there is more to the story that we don't know that has triggered a "flight" action in her.

I'm not tied to one theory yet, but I do think it's possible she fled. I sure hope so.

JMO.

His fiancée, who asked to remain anonymous, said it was a “weird coincidence” George was in town at the time, but insisted he was with her the whole time.

Iona’s mother said she does not believe George Jr. would harm her daughter — though she didn’t have a high opinion of him.

“The less said about George Jr., the better,” Diana Malcolmson said. “He’s a mixed-up kid and there’s no point in talking about a mixed-up kid.”

George Jr., who has at least 10 arrests, according to court records, said he was never close to Iona.

My hinky meter just exploded. This is bad news.

It would make sense that she would be appealing this decision.

I think she would have a hard time overcoming the summary judgment on an appeal. I bet her lawyer told her he would do whatever she wanted, but said it was a long shot, at best.

Long Island mother and daughter who vanished after NYC visit have family members facing criminal charges

Iona’s ne’er-do-well stepson, George Jr., 45, never got along with his stepmom, multiple family members said Sunday.

In an interview with the Daily News from jail in Palm Beach County, Fla., George Jr. said he was visiting in New York when Iona and Emily disappeared.

“I was staying in my Hampton Bay home,” he said, noting he flew back to Florida on April 1.

BBM

I still don't like that coincidence. Maybe LE wants it to simmer down for a reason...

When did LE lock him up on the "domestic dispute"?

Can anyone link?

BBM

He just **happened** to be in NY and they just **happened** to disappear. Bad feeling. Hope I'm wrong.

On Sunday, John said he last spoke to Iona shortly before she drove to Manhattan when she stopped by his Greenport office to say goodbye.

Anyone else drop by to say hello at the time Iona said goodbye?

And why bother stopping by to say good-bye to an inlaw? If it's a routine trip to the city to see some shows over spring break, why make rounds saying good-bye in person? I'm skeptical of this story.

Things went from mysterious to tragic to safe getaway to strange....to starting from the beginning again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robinhood0602
Back