Found Safe NY - Iona, 51, & Emily Costello, 14, Greenport, 30 March 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Christopher Donato @chrisdonato04 · 3h 3 hours ago

#EXCLUSIVE: police pick up car belonging to missing mom Iona Costello and daughter Emily from Times Square garage

https://twitter.com/chrisdonato04

Photo illustrates vehicle is being driven, not towed.

They sure seem confident this really is voluntary if they're driving the car away.

You'd think they'd rather be safe than sorry unless they have really solid evidence nothing hinky has happened. Even if they dusted for prints and what not in the parking garage, there's no way they carried out all the extensive forensics and other evidence collection that down the road it's possible they may need.

Frankly this case reminds me of little Barway Collins who was a 10 year old in MN who went missing after getting off the school bus in front of his flat just a few weeks ago.

For days LE was saying "we think he's safe" and "we think he's with someone he knows" yada yada. It seemed to be all about justifying why ignoring a missing 10 year old in snowy Minnesota, who'd been gone for days was a suitable course of action. And all of that was while at the same time they admitted they had no idea who it was those people he'd supposedly know were or where he might be.

Safe and with people he knew? Nope.

Dad killed him and dumped in him in the river shortly after he got off the bus from school.

At least in that case they aren't lacking in things to tie his dad to it, and despite all the LE inaction early on, Barway was eventually found.

In this case it seems like we're also starting off with the similar LE inaction and LE insisting they don't think there's foul play and no real reason to look deeper.

Unfortunately in this case, I think this laid back / casual approach could find LE having shot themselves in the foot with compromising possible evidence, etc. :sheesh:

This is now the top story on the US version of the Daily Mail.

That may prompt some more action if the public gets talking about it more since it forces more media attention.

We've certainly seen it in previous cases...hope it helps turn the tide here and they get located.

They have been found. They are safe. Apparently this was a planned thing. Just saw the reports on NBC channel 4 NY news.

I've only just discovered this case, but they've been missing so long!

The Costello family are 'Irish', according to media - though that might mean Irish heritage - and Iona has relatives in England. So I wonder if she and Emily have dual nationality and perhaps two passports? Nationality of either country would leave them free to travel or settle anywhere in the EU without visas and there are plenty of good schools where English is spoken. Switzerland crosses my mind. I also wonder, as they enjoy travel, if Iona might have credit cards or even a bank account abroad, where activity might not show up when US records are checked? Even -as there's a family connection to the marine industry - if she's sailed off in a yacht. I hope not. Not without telling anyone.

I get the impression it was deceased dad's business which generated the bulk of the family's income. The farm looks like relatively small change. Is the property itself in Iona's name only, does anyone know? It could be possible much of the family fortune is in cash and although a court's ruled the estate can't be touched as Mr Costello's been found to have died intestate (I think), I don't know if it had the means to put in place any mechanism to prevent money being accessed or transferred?

If Iona did inform her attorney she was going away, do any of our lawyers know if he would be legally obliged to reveal that to police?

I don't suspect foul play in this case but do worry about Iona's state of mind. Then again, it's strange that family and friends and even LE don't seem to have issued a single missing poster yet? As though they're all assured Iona and Emily are going to surface somewhere soon?

The link below lists assets not affected by dying intestate. It includes life insurance and certain properties, securities and bank accounts.

I hope these two are safe anyway, and that the animals on the farm continue to be well cared for.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/intestate-succession-new-york.html

This is such good news! I am so glad they are both safe.

The two were in good condition, and are being interviewed by detectives.

There is no criminality and no charges are expected, authorities say.

The two had been staying in a hotel on the Upper West Side and someone in the hotel contacted the NYPD overnight to say the mother and daughter were staying there.

In a statement, Southold police said: "The NYPD reported finding both Iona Costello and Emily Costello in good health at an undisclosed location. No further investigation is needed at this time."

http://7online.com/news/missing-long-island-mother-daughter-found-safe-in-manhattan/669891/

So much we'll probably never know, but so glad they're safe. I continue to be amazed by the intelligence and selfless work of the Websleuth community. Sometimes the way posters think is so creative and insightful that I feel like I'm on a GOOD "acid trip."*** :loveyou::clap::takeabow:

(*** Disclaimer: I've never actually done acid, though. LOL!)

Oh wow - why would the mother have not gotten in contact or the 14 year old not use her phone ?! So many questions, but glad they're safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, I am really glad that they are safe but the fact that they were found in an Upper West Side hotel makes me wonder...were they there the whole time? Did they go on a trip and just get back? Why have they not used their phones for weeks? When was she planning on having Emily return to school? I know that now that they are safe, this is no one's business but theirs, but I really want to know!

Great news! Bizarre story, but great news that they are alive and safe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back