NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I had read that K. had gotten breast implants recently, and that her killer beat her breasts ?

rsbm

Can you point me in the right direction to find this please? Trying to catch up, but there are SO many articles about this horrible crime it's hard to find certain specifics. Thanks in advance!

rsbm

Can you point me in the right direction to find this please? Trying to catch up, but there are SO many articles about this horrible crime it's hard to find certain specifics. Thanks in advance!

I believe I read it here. Not in a news article. Will attempt to find it.

"Howard Beach jogger murder has women seeking protection, including bra with knife compartment"
http://abc7ny.com/business/jogger-murder-increases-interest-in-bra-that-can-hold-knife/1460242/
Oh my gosh. Really?! Any woman who believes this will keep her safe is deluded. Same with toting a firearm. Chances are, they'll be easily overpowered before they have a chance to reach for either weapon. And then, that weapon could be used on them.

Look, MEN and WOMEN: don't go jogging in a place where homeless and transients are located.

Jog in daylight in busy areas and/or run with others!

If you're going to use headphones or your phone, use a circular track and run with others.

Run up and down your own street or circular driveway. (I've done both of these and even though it isn't desireable, it gets the job done.)

Sorry, don't mean to be preachy but this whole story is awful, not to mention depressing.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I'm not familiar with the Eve Brown's case (but will look it up in a sec). But quick question: was Eve found in a similar condition (raped & beaten onsite, rather than dumped from elsewhere)?

My very first thought with this case was a serial rapist-turned-killer. Though I'm still leaning toward group/duo crime of opportunity, a serial rapist certainly fits at this stage of the game, until more info is released.

I'll look into Eve Brown now....but please share any similarities you see.

jmo

IMO the Eve Brown case and Karinas case don't seem related, or having to do with a serial killer. Lots of speculation that Eve Brown was having an affair, lied to her husband regarding her where abouts and so on. Odd though that other remains where found near Eve Browns body and I can't find anything in the news that they identified that body.

anal rape will always look more vicious, because the tissue back there isn't meant for that. so sad :( im sorry for the visual :(

I love locals on WS cases!

The info about the mall and unofficial trails is interesting to me. My hunch has been it was a duo or group of young guys who were in the park who committed this crime because of opportunity. Placing a duo/group in the Weeds has been a pondering point, but knowing there was a mall nearby does give more possibility of a duo/group in the Weeds at that time of day - perhaps they were going to/from the mall and either took the paths through the park as part of their route and/or used the Weeds to drink/drugs.

The 2x rape could be two different perps. Hearing that the anal was more vicious also fits with two perps. (Though, of course, ANY rape is vicious and violent, and I'm horrified by what she had to go through.)

If it was a duo/group of young people, I'm worried there won't be DNA matches in the database.

Thanks for your local insight. Keep us posted!

jmopinion....hoping to hear about progress on the case soon.

sometimes that is impossible to avoid! id imagine homelessness is rampant in a pricey city like NYC. I live in san jose (silicon valley) and they are virtually everywhere due to high housing costs. I lie in a nice neighborhood and they live in a nearby creek and are in my corner strip mall all the time.

Oh my gosh. Really?! Any woman who believes this will keep her safe is deluded. Same with toting a firearm. Chances are, they'll be easily overpowered before they have a chance to reach for either weapon. And then, that weapon could be used on them.

Look, MEN and WOMEN: don't go jogging in a place where homeless and transients are located.

Jog in daylight in busy areas and/or run with others!

If you're going to use headphones or your phone, use a circular track and run with others.

Run up and down your own street or circular driveway. (I've done both of these and even though it isn't desireable, it gets the job done.)

Sorry, don't mean to be preachy but this whole story is awful, not to mention depressing.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Oh I did not realize she went missing on August 2nd. I'll invite you downstairs in a hour.

I believe I read it here. Not in a news article. Will attempt to find it.

So far I cannot find this. I think it could have been a comment after a news report. So,possibly not accurate. If it is not accurate, I want to apologize to posters here for posting something that may not be true, and also to K's family. I have been following Missy Bever's case here, and I do recall reading that she had breast implants, which her killer had attacked. It's possible that I somehow confused the two cases, but, I could swear I read this about KV also. Because I remember thinking, it was so strange that two women so into fitness also had this similarity. To satisfy myself, I will keep looking for this info, but please do not take it as being accurate.

"Running was one of Vetrano’s passions, Hartstein said. A passion she almost lost as a child.

She had surgery on both sides of her legs when she was young and doctors told her she would never run again.

'But she ran and she ran well,' Hartstein said. 'Every night she’d run the path with her father. She did it every day and it was her thing.'"

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...vid-runner-social-butterfly-article-1.2737784

So K ran that path every day. She was almost a fixture on that path. Anyone in the vicinity would have known that, and anyone who knew her would have known that too. Another post stated that she didn't always run with her dad.

So K ran that path every day. She was almost a fixture on that path. Anyone in the vicinity would have known that, and anyone who knew her would have known that too. Another post stated that she didn't always run with her dad.

And, it seems like she (and her dad) ran at the same time every day, from 5-6pm. That's why he knew to be worried when she didn't return home.

I still think it was a crime of opportunity, but given her routine, it could've been someone watching her and saw that she was alone that day.

I recall in a personal safety class I took years and years ago, a LE officer advised women NOT to go on a predictable routine when exercising outdoors, but to vary it randomly in case someone is watching and noticing your routine. Good advice and rather easy to follow (and I'm not victim blaming...no one is to blame but the perp/s).

jmo

I hate to ask, but have police said whether they know if she was raped while she was still alive? (Is there a way for a coroner to tell?) If that were known/knowable, perhaps that would indicate whether she was dealing with a random unfamiliar sicko who was lying in wait for a random woman who they intended to kill, then rape, or someone else.

Also, how many vagrants/transients have the presence of mind to carry around condoms? Obviously it's not impossible, and there are places in NYC where you can get condoms for free, but since Howard Beach is rather suburban I'm not sure where you would find them without having to buy them.

MOO, the ex bf would have bruises if he did this and he'd have to be an expert liar to fool professional LE. I'm sure LE concentrated on him big time at first. I hope her parents and close friends will provide any little tidbits about all the people Karina may have mentioned to them that should be checked out.

There supposedly was also evidence that she bit a huge chunk out of her attacker.

There has not been any verification that the used condom found 'nearby' is related at all to KV's case. LE said as of a couple days ago they didn't know if that was related (this was published in multiple news reports that they don't know). I'm sure it's being tested along with all the other evidence and potential evidence they gathered from the area.

M.E.'s can often tell whether injuries were sustained ante or post mortem. A detailed autopsy report would indicate the specifics of injuries observed and what conclusions the M.E. could draw from their examination. Those details may come out in a trial but are not necessarily disclosed to the public beforehand.

I can't see a single individual, much less a duo or group, crossing the Belt at or near that time of day. Not saying it's impossible, just unlikely. Traffic is getting heavier by about 2 pm; by 3:30-4 it'd be hard to cross the highway. Impossible by 5+.

Link to webcam of Belt Parkway near the Erskine Street (where the Gateway shopping center in question is) exit heading east: http://wxyzwebcams.com/en/webcam-430.php Crossing isn't pedestrian friendly, especially in pairs/groups. These pictures give you an idea of the six lanes/median/service roads that would have to be crossed.

There is an overpass and an underpass close by, you wouldn't have to actually cross the lanes of the parkway. I have walked several times from there to my family's house near Howard Beach. I wold never cross the lanes of the parkway, way too dangerous.

Another beautiful, dark haired, young woman (27 years old) named Vanessa Marcotte has been murdered while jogging !!!

It happened in broad daylight Sunday ! only 5 days after Karina's murder.

Vanessa Marcotte live in New York city, but was at her mothers place in Princeton Massachusetts (ca 190 miles / 3 1/2 hour drive from Karina Vetrano crime scene) when she was murdered.

Is it the same killer ? I believe it is possible.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/google-employee-27-found-dead-mothers-home-massachusetts/story?id=41208841

A 27-year-old woman who worked for Google appears to have been killed in broad daylight Sunday near her mother's home in Princeton, Massachusetts, officials said.

Vanessa Marcotte, who lived in New York City, went out for a jog Sunday in the town of Princeton, about 60 miles west of Boston, and never returned, said Worcester County District Attorney Joseph Early Jr.

Her body was found Sunday night in a wooded area about a half mile from her mother's home, Early said.

Another news report:

http://heavy.com/news/2016/08/vanes...e-suspect-killer-dead-death-mother-instagram/

“We have a horrible set of facts, a horrible set of circumstance here right now, and we’re going to do everything we can to make sure this investigation is carried out, every groundball is run out, every i is dotted, with regards to this,” Worcester County District Attorney Joseph Early Jr. said at a press conference.

He would not comment when asked by a reporter about whether an arson investigation unit was at the scene. He also said he could not get into any circumstances of an “abduction or assault,” when another reporter asked if Marcotte had been “raped and burned.”

This is her Instagram :

https://www.instagram.com/v_marcotte/

I read that and had the same thoughts. but 190 miles shouldn't take 3.5 hours? it should take 2.5 maybe?

Another beautiful, dark haired, young woman (27 years old) named Vanessa Marcotte has been murdered while jogging !!!

It happened in broad daylight Sunday ! only 5 days after Karina's murder.

Vanessa Marcotte live in New York city, but was at her mothers place in Princeton Massachusetts (ca 190 miles / 3 1/2 hour drive from Karina Vetrano crime scene) when she was murdered.

Is it the same killer ? I believe it is possible.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/google-employee-27-found-dead-mothers-home-massachusetts/story?id=41208841

A 27-year-old woman who worked for Google appears to have been killed in broad daylight Sunday near her mother's home in Princeton, Massachusetts, officials said.

Vanessa Marcotte, who lived in New York City, went out for a jog Sunday in the town of Princeton, about 60 miles west of Boston, and never returned, said Worcester County District Attorney Joseph Early Jr.

Her body was found Sunday night in a wooded area about a half mile from her mother's home, Early said.

Another news report:

http://heavy.com/news/2016/08/vanes...e-suspect-killer-dead-death-mother-instagram/

“We have a horrible set of facts, a horrible set of circumstance here right now, and we’re going to do everything we can to make sure this investigation is carried out, every groundball is run out, every i is dotted, with regards to this,” Worcester County District Attorney Joseph Early Jr. said at a press conference.

He would not comment when asked by a reporter about whether an arson investigation unit was at the scene. He also said he could not get into any circumstances of an “abduction or assault,” when another reporter asked if Marcotte had been “raped and burned.”

This is her Instagram :

https://www.instagram.com/v_marcotte/

There is an overpass and an underpass close by, you wouldn't have to actually cross the lanes of the parkway. I have walked several times from there to my family's house near Howard Beach. I wold never cross the lanes of the parkway, way too dangerous.[/QUOTE/]

I know the overpass, but it seems a little far for someone to double back so as to go through the weeds and end up in the marsh. I can't visualize the underpass. Is it west and leads to those colorful vertical lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot