NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's someone who lived nearby that would watch her everyday and knew her routine. When he saw her dad wasn't with her he saw his opportunity and attacked her. Its someone that could slip in and out of the weeds unnoticed. The perp doesn't live far. They would have to get cleaned up after an attack like this so if they had traveled far someone would have noticed and reported it.

confidences? Coincidences is what I think you're saying.

The sad thing is young women on their own outside in a remote area (even near the house of a family member) can be at risk as we've seen too many times. It's like there's a war on young females -- we see this overAndoverAndover across the country and around the world.

I have no idea if these crimes are linked; the DA in the Marcotte case says there's nothing to indicate they are connected at this time. I think young women of a certain age do tend to look similar. Young women tend to wear their hair below their shoulders and in a ponytail when running, runners and athletes tend to have lean/fit bodies, hair color is not the same -- one had very dark/almost black hair the other medium/light brown.

The thing they had in common is they were female, alone, running, vulnerable, in the wrong place at the wrong time. No one could have known ahead of time exactly where they would be or that they would be alone at that time.

So, so many young women are at risk and don't even realize it because everyone thinks it won't happen to them.

Yes, coincidences (thanks, spell check). I don't know if the crimes are linked. It's just weird that these two women look so alike.

How do you visualize this perp? He dragged her, but not sure if he tried to carry her which would make a difference perhaps in his size. I tend to imagine him physically fit, maybe with some bulk but slower movements and not as agile as Karina, maybe 35 or younger. I thought about a gym member too.

What is going to break this case? DNA? A tip finally from someone close to perp that noticed a bite mark? A witness that comes forward? I really want this killer caught right away and feel sure Karina's family is going to make sure this case doesn't go cold.

Agile and so fast. And so angry. Have there ever been any similar murders in HB ? I don't remember any. Wonder how many rapes/attempted rapes on the fire lanes, say, in the past 5 years or so ? How many women runners have gotten a creepy vibe from someone there ?

I think it's someone who lived nearby that would watch her everyday and knew her routine. When he saw her dad wasn't with her he saw his opportunity and attacked her. Its someone that could slip in and out of the weeds unnoticed. The perp doesn't live far. They would have to get cleaned up after an attack like this so if they had traveled far someone would have noticed and reported it.

Police think that the perp is a transient and not local.

I was reading and several high profile cases involved the woman going missing/killed while jogging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was reading and several high profile cases involved the woman going missing/killed while jogging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any insights you'd care to share from your readings? Are most of these crimes committed by a serial rapist/murderer? Are most caught?!

Young women attacked while jogging is not uncommon. In the vast majority of cases these turn out to be crimes of opportunity. The female is alone long enough and becomes the prey.

So many thousands of cases and they weren't all committed by one or 2 perps. One simple Google search will show you there are thousands of cases.

Every young female and women up to age 60 should be warned and encouraged to not head into any possibly remote area unless they have at least 1 other person with them. And if they must walk/jog/hike alone then only go in highly populated areas where there are many people around and you won't really be alone.

Young women attacked while jogging is not uncommon. So many thousands of cases and they weren't all committed by one or 2 perps. One simple Google search will show you there are thousands of cases.

Every young female and women up to age 60 should be warned and encouraged to not head into any possibly remote area unless they have at least 1 other person with them. And if they must walk/jog/hike alone then only go in highly populated areas where there are many people around and you won't really be alone.

Jogging in highly populated areas in a city like New York could be difficult and also dangerous (because of all the cars). Joggers do get hit by cars.

<snip>

According to police, the clues point to a less sophisticated killer, one who did not take a trophy from the scene as murderers often do.

Police have also found a DNA sample that may match the killer and are searching through records of every summons given in the park in the last six months, CBS2s Magdalena Doris reported.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/08/06/queens-jogger-killed-funeral/

I went searching back to this remark wondering if police were implying the killer was more of an amateur, but it doesn't say that exactly. The police felt this killer might be "less sophisticated" because he didn't appear to take a trophy. I'm not sure all violent killer sex offenders do.

He didn't bury or hide her body. He left her phone nearby which made it quite easy for her father to find her body soon after. This killer wasn't really thinking about LE finding her body and looking for him right away which was a careless move on the killer's part. JMO

"New York City police have recovered a useful DNA sample from the body of slain Howard Beach jogger Karina Vetrano but have so far been unable to find a match with any known person, according to a law enforcement source."

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...o-host-forum-on-jogger-murder-case-1.12147791

Oh no...I got a weird Son of Sam feeling when I first read about this case. Or.more likely a Ted Bundy, who also seemed to victimize young brunette women of a certain type...jmo

I'm convinced that the killer of KV and VM it is the same killer and, as I have posted from the beginning, I'm convinced that he stalked his victims previously to the murders, probably both on social media and in real life.
I believe this is a developing serial killer of the worse type, I also believe that he might be a "game" and "cat and mouse" kind of serial killer who will taunt police if he has not already done that.
IF it is the same killer, he is extremely dangerous both due to that he is both extremely violent AND rape his victims the the worst thinkable way AND because he , if it is the same killer have killed 2 victims with 5 days which could point to that he will kill again in the near future.

Either way this murders are SO scarry ! :(

IMO police should check surveillance video tapes, taped in the last 4 weeks prior to the murders, recorded near thise two woman's houses and work places to see if there is a common man appearing on thise video tapes.

I'm convinced that the killer of KV and VM it is the same killer and, as I have posted from the beginning, I'm convinced that he stalked his victims previously to the murders, probably both on social media and in real life.
I believe this is a developing serial killer of the worse type, I also believe that he might be a "game" and "cat and mouse" kind of serial killer who will taunt police if he has not already done that.
IF it is the same killer, he is extremely dangerous both due to that he is both extremely violent AND rape his victims the the worst thinkable way AND because he , if it is the same killer have killed 2 victims with 5 days which could point to that he will kill again in the near future.

Either way this murders are SO scarry ! :(

IMO police should check surveillance video tapes, taped in the last 4 weeks prior to the murders, recorded near thise two woman's houses and work places to see if there is a common man appearing on thise video tapes.

It could be the work of one killer, but if so, I don't think it would be a stalker. It was totally unpredictable that either of these two young women would be alone at the times of their death. So, a stalker would essentially need to be stalking non-stop (no job?) and ready to pounce at any moment. Karina normally ran with her dad. As for Vanessa, how would someone know when the visited her mom that she would go for a run on her own at that particular time?

I don't rule out the same guy who has a type he likes to attack, but I think these two cases were both crimes of opportunity rather than targeted to these individual women.

If DNA is collected at the Massachusetts scene, we should have our answer if it's the same perp.

jmopinion

I went searching back to this remark wondering if police were implying the killer was more of an amateur, but it doesn't say that exactly. The police felt this killer might be "less sophisticated" because he didn't appear to take a trophy. I'm not sure all violent killer sex offenders do.

He didn't bury or hide her body. He left her phone nearby which made it quite easy for her father to find her body soon after. This killer wasn't really thinking about LE finding her body and looking for him right away which was a careless move on the killer's part. JMO

I news reports it has been stated that they only found one of Karina's shoes, so maybe he took the other shoe as a trophy ?
And if the killer is the kind of killer I believe he is, he possibly WANT the body to be found as soon as possible because one of his satifications, besides killing and domination, is to spread fear.

Sadly, getting a DNA database match may prove difficult IMO since there is a huge backlog of entering rape kit DNA into the data base (at least from what I've read following other cases). While DNA from attacks like this are quickly entered, those from cases not in the news may not be... anyone have stats on this?

Looks like the backlog in NYC has been addressed. IDK about other regions:

<snip>

In 1999, New York City had a backlog of nearly 17,000 untested rape kits. All of those untested kits were sent to private labs for testing, and the backlog was cleared by 2003...

http://endthebacklog.org/new-york-city

I news reports it has been stated that they only found one of Karina's shoes, so maybe he took the other shoe as a trophy ?
And if the killer is the kind of killer I believe he is, he possibly WANT the body to be found as soon as possible because one of his satifications, besides killing and domination, is to spread fear.

I made the assumption that the other shoe was still on her foot....not sure if that was confirmed. LE did state that the killer didn't take a trophy.

jmo

In a way this makes me grateful that I don't live in a very good neighborhood. My uh, entrepreneurial neighbors would likely become suspicious of anyone they don't recognize lurking around/stalking and have a few choice words with him, on the off chance he's trying to steal their drug business or is working undercover.

Half-joking aside, this + the case with the 27 year-old is making me sick to my stomach and giving me nightmares. Here's to two cities/states worth of skilled police force putting this vermin away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth