NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I news reports it has been stated that they only found one of Karina's shoes, so maybe he took the other shoe as a trophy ?
And if the killer is the kind of killer I believe he is, he possibly WANT the body to be found as soon as possible because one of his satifications, besides killing and domination, is to spread fear.

The shoe thing would be a weird trophy indeed.

Does anybody remember a case in NYC from a few years ago where a early 20s woman was assaulted in a subway station late at night, also in Queens (either that or central Brooklyn)? She fell asleep and woke up to the perp licking her foot (ugh). She ran off at the next station and tried to get the attendant to call the police, but the guy also got off the train and dragged her back downstairs to assault her, all as the MTA employee watched and did nothing. She ended up suing the MTA because of it, and he hasn't been caught. I remember this case being discussed after more backstory came out about Hannah Graham's killer.

In a way this makes me grateful that I don't live in a very good neighborhood. My uh, entrepreneurial neighbors would likely become suspicious of anyone they don't recognize lurking around/stalking and have a few choice words with him, on the off chance he's trying to steal their drug business or is working undercover.

Half-joking aside, this + the case with the 27 year-old is making me sick to my stomach and giving me nightmares. Here's to two cities/states worth of skilled police force putting this vermin away.

I know LE has said they suspect a transient, someone moving through the neighborhood rather than a local. But, I'm thinking it was a local person who wouldn't stand out.

I live in an urban area and while my neighborhood is densely populated, locals know who is from the neighborhood and who isn't. Outsiders stand out. We even have "our" homeless/panhandlers. I think the same would be said of Karina's neighborhood. LE has received essentially no tips (as of a few days ago anyway).

And what transient person in that neighborhood would venture in the the Weeds?

jmo, speculating, thinking aloud.

I don't know, the two women look very similar and both joggers. Gosh, both of these cases are extremely sad. What a shock for Vanessa's family.

The difference in the murders of Karina Vetrano and Vanessa Marcotte is that the perp in Vanessa's murder tried to burn and set her body on fire, and some of her clothes were missing. Karina's perp left her clothes on and didn't attempt to hide her or her identity.

Why did the perp in Vanessa's murder try to burn her body? MOO, they seemed more worried about her being found and a personal connection than in Karina's case.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...c-google-employee-dead-mass-article-1.2742909

Vanessa Marcotte, 27, was last seen Sunday afternoon while visiting family in Princeton, Mass., police said. Around 1 p.m., she went for a jog — and vanished. Officers found her body in the woods at 8:20 p.m., about a half mile from her mother’s home.

She was missing clothes and had burns to her head, feet and hands, a source told WCVB in Boston.

I think they are related and the perp learned from how quickly Vanessa was id'ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burning of body could be an attempt to destroy DNA evidence. Police so far don't think there is any connection, but if it's the same perp, he could have learned from KV's case, where DNA was found, and is attempting to destroy the evidence? Although right now I don't think it is the same perp.

I think they are related and the perp learned from how quickly Vanessa was id'ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I see a big difference in the two perps. This is just my own opinion.

It didn't matter to the perp if the body was found and identified in Karina's death because her identity could not be connected to her killer anyways.

In Vanessa's murder, the perp went through the trouble to burn her body to obscure her identity which implies to me that the perp can be linked to her and would be questioned soon after she was identified.

Looks like the backlog in NYC has been addressed. IDK about other regions:

<snip>

In 1999, New York City had a backlog of nearly 17,000 untested rape kits. All of those untested kits were sent to private labs for testing, and the backlog was cleared by 2003...

http://endthebacklog.org/new-york-city

That's a SERIOUS problem! How do they expect to catch anyone with a 10 year turn around?

Sorry, I see a big difference in the two perps. This is just my own opinion.

It didn't matter to the perp if the body was found and identified in Karina's death because her identity could not be connected to her killer anyways.

In Vanessa's murder, the perp went through the trouble to burn her body to obscure her identity which implies to me that the perp can be linked to her and would be questioned soon after she was identified.

I don't think the killer burn Vanessa's body to obscure her identity, I think he did it to destroy his own DNA on her body because he read in media that NYPD belive they have found Kristin's killer's DNA on Kristine's body/crime scene.

August 8, 2016
7:00 PM ET

Dr Drew is reporting on this tonight

Fo, you think it's the same killer? you said you thought he stalked the victims over social media....but locations are pretty far apart! I'll admit they do look similar in the photos you posted I was wrong about that. The police said transient but don't most transients probably have a criminal record? Why dump the used condom right there in the weeds...if it is? IF it was someone who planned and watched and then attacked why drop the condom? I do kind of think it might be someone like a neighbor who knows her

I don't think it's unreasonable to compare the murders of these two women, both by nature of the crime and similarities between the victims, and wonder if they were killed by the same person. All that's been said is there's nothing at this point connecting the crimes, which is another of way of saying that so little is known about both crimes currently that no connection can be made ( and conversely ruled out).

Time will tell, and if the DNA on the victims is different, then that answers that question. In the meantime, it's plausible that the perpetrator of Karina's murder would travel around, particularly if he's "transient", and since he's wanting to avoid capture. If so, this type of killer would not be the first to hunt for prey across geography.

Whoever did either crime is a danger to any community and I hope something surfaces quickly in both cases to lead LE to the killer(s).

Also, Karina's murder doesn't seem particularly unsophisticated to me (I think I saw that someone in LE made this remark). Narcissists and sociopaths/psychopaths often don't really care what they leave behind, and in fact, often display or leave the body in a place where it will be found because they like the theater and further humiliation of their victim by exposing the things they did to her. These are individuals who think they're smarter and more entitled than the rest of us, and they seriously don't mind running risks, or even perceive risks. It can be either a case of hurry and get done what they want to do to their target and so what if they scatter evidence, or, 'look at what I did, now come and find me'. And all manner of other lunatic thought. JMO

I didn't see ths though: Marcotte worked as a healthcare account manager for Google in New York City since January 2015, according to her LinkedIn page. From Daily News

Yes, I thought of the perp maybe trying to hide DNA byattempting to burn Vanessa's body. The hands especially under the nails, probably had DNA evidence. But her head and feet?

MOO, I don't think her killer was a random stranger. Don't know the details of how he tried to accomplish burning her, but the killer sounds more prepared in this attack. I feel he might have known Vanessa or her family in the area.

In Vanessa's case http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...c-google-employee-dead-mass-article-1.2742909
She was missing clothes and had burns to her head, feet and hands, a source told WCVB in Boston.

Fo, you think it's the same killer? you said you thought he stalked the victims over social media....but locations are pretty far apart! I'll admit they do look similar in the photos you posted I was wrong about that. The police said transient but don't most transients probably have a criminal record? Why dump the used condom right there in the weeds...if it is? IF it was someone who planned and watched and then attacked why drop the condom? I do kind of think it might be someone like a neighbor who knows her

I don't think they yet know, or at least aren't saying, whether or not the condom that was found was used in Karina's assault. I agree it could be someone who knew her, even from a distance. Whoever did it is a savage and if it's true that she bit him (I've not seen that confirmed), I think any additional violence she suffered as a result is about a serious pathology that wouldn't take a lot to set off anyway. I mean, really, once you decide to grab and drag a woman off to rape her, whether or not you intended initially to kill her or leave it at rape, is a detail.

I don't think it's unreasonable to compare the murders of these two women, both by nature of the crime and similarities between the victims, and wonder if they were killed by the same person. All that's been said is there's nothing at this point connecting the crimes, which is another of way of saying that so little is known about both crimes currently that no connection can be made ( and conversely ruled out).

Time will tell, and if the DNA on the victims is different, then that answers that question. In the meantime, it's plausible that the perpetrator of Karina's murder would travel around, particularly if he's "transient", and since he's wanting to avoid capture. If so, this type of killer would not be the first to hunt for prey across geography.

Whoever did either crime is a danger to any community and I hope something surfaces quickly in both cases to lead LE to the killer(s).

Also, Karina's murder doesn't seem particularly unsophisticated to me (I think I saw that someone in LE made this remark). Narcissists and sociopaths/psychopaths often don't really care what they leave behind, and in fact, often display or leave the body in a place where it will be found because they like the theater and further humiliation of their victim by exposing the things they did to her. These are individuals who think they're smarter and more entitled than the rest of us, and they seriously don't mind running risks, or even perceive risks. It can be either a case of hurry and get done what they want to do to their target and so what if they scatter evidence, or, 'look at what I did, now come and find me'. And all manner of other lunatic thought. JMO

I think it's a strong possibility of a serial killer. It's not that far of a drive and it's easy to target someone via social media now. Imagine what Ted Bundy would have done with sm? scares me. But, Sm, data and DNA will convict if it is a serial rapist/killer.

I think it's a strong possibility of a serial killer. It's not that far of a drive and it's easy to target someone via social media now. Imagine what Ted Bundy would have done with sm? scares me. But, Sm, data and DNA will convict if it is a serial rapist/killer.

Yes, and even if it's the first one, or, the first murder, it won't be the last and something will turn up in the future, although tragically as a result of another crime.

Some violent sex offenders that has killed their victims make attempts to bury or hide the body and it's often not found for a long time. I can think of plenty of cases I followed where this has happened. Killer hides body and kills again over years as the opportunity arises. This was not the case in Karina's brutal rape and murder. He left her body and phone to be easily found. This makes me wonder if her perp might be just starting out and hasn't developed any sophistication at his crimes yet. Could he be a younger man fairly inexperienced? He's full of brutality and very reckless in how he went about it.

Any updates yet? I know Karina's parents expect her killer to be caught soon, and I pray that actually happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member