NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanessa posted a photo of herself in a wet suit in the Rockaways - on a map a least not all that from far from Howard Beach...
Still, the level of violence appears allot different comparing Vanessa to Karina homicides.... on that score, don't think the two crimes are related. But, that both were runners/joggers, attacked in daylight, look similar, well educated, and possibly same ethnicity - does give pause to think..

Vanessa posted a photo of herself in a wet suit in the Rockaways - on a map a least not all that from far from Howard Beach...
Still, the level of violence appears allot different comparing Vanessa to Karina homicides.... on that score, don't think the two crimes are related. But, that both were runners/joggers, attacked in daylight, look similar, well educated, and possibly same ethnicity - does give pause to think..

Hopefully, they have good samples from Vanessa's case and will soon know if it's the same person or not.

However, it's very disheartening that the sample from Karina didn't provide a match to anyone.

I thought her body was found at 11 p.m., but it says 9 p.m. She was found incredibly fast and her father was really on the ball.

...she went for a routine jog about 5 p.m. When she didn’t return home, her father, Phillip Vetrano, called a neighbor in the NYPD, and police and residents began a search that ended with her body being discovered about 9 p.m.

I'm surprised LE let this DNA info out so soon. It'd make the killer get comfortable thinking they might not get caught. Is this a young newbie killer with a lily white rap sheet? I know LE will keep working on this.

New York City police have recovered a useful DNA sample from the body of slain Howard Beach jogger Karina Vetrano but have so far been unable to find a match with any known person, according to a law enforcement source.

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...o-host-forum-on-jogger-murder-case-1.12147791

I think it's someone who lived nearby that would watch her everyday and knew her routine. When he saw her dad wasn't with her he saw his opportunity and attacked her. Its someone that could slip in and out of the weeds unnoticed. The perp doesn't live far. They would have to get cleaned up after an attack like this so if they had traveled far someone would have noticed and reported it.

Ditto your thoughts flgrl. Someone who could see a part of the trail she ran on from their bedroom window. Someone who might have sat and waited to see her run by everyday. Someone who looked forward with sadistic and sexual anticipation and arousal for her run by. Someone who fantasized about her when she appeared and self satisfied. Someone whose fantasies continued to escalate with each day and citing. Someone who grew frustrated with watching and wanted her in person. Someone who lusted after her...and hated her for what he could not have or be. Someone who didn't work and spent days in his bedroom behind closed doors. A shut in and loner who resented her apparent freedom of spirit, life, health and outdoors. Not a transient. And probably not even a newcomer to the area. Probably saw her run alone on occasion and at some point decided he would prepare...and lay and wait every day..until the next time she came alone.

Alot of pent up rage and sexual violence by the time his day had come.

Also the window watcher would know the habits and timing of all who ran the park . He knew the ins and outs. He knew when the area was patrolled. He planned ALL of it as the weeks passed and his obsession amplified. (Conversation abt condom is irrelevant...think perp cared abt that?)

Also don't think there will be any DNA match since perp has lived and done whatever off the grid ...so far anyhow.

However, NYPD's finest, the best of the best won't stop - ever. AND no stone will be left unturned. The'll figure it out. But will offer no clues because as they said the perp could be watching us right now on his tv. AND they can't possibly alarm the community that it might be one of their own...people wouldn't leave their houses and everyone would start looking at everyone.

All just my own thoughts and opinions ..

And do not believe the two cases are related...except for the possibility of a copycat.

Just wanted to update that I did end up calling this in (especially after reading more about Belt Parkway access, and verifying exactly where I was and when through MapMyRun). They didn't sound super interested (obviously) but said it'll be passed along in case they send a patrol out there to see who might be hanging out in those marshes as well. I also read up on the efforts to clean up the overgrowth on Howard Beach and add cameras/police presence and I really hope it'll come to pass.

I still haven't quite felt back to "normal" ever since this happened, I guess because of the distance to me and the overlap of circumstance. Last night I had a nightmare about somebody waiting in the woods for another young woman - anybody at all - and it was kind of that "running in slow motion" dream feeling where I couldn't do anything with this information to help anybody, it was just weighing in my gut that somebody had chosen a wooded trail at random, very close to its exit/entrance, broad daylight again. And then I woke up to news about Vanessa Marcotte and I just feel sick. IMO they're not related, save for the possibility of some psychopathic loser being inspired by the coverage on Karina's case.

I'm glad you called it in, but holy cow, so sorry about that nightmare coming true!

I don't think these two cases are related, but maybe the MA guy was "inspired" by the NY guy.

Just wanted to update that I did end up calling this in (especially after reading more about Belt Parkway access, and verifying exactly where I was and when through MapMyRun). They didn't sound super interested (obviously) but said it'll be passed along in case they send a patrol out there to see who might be hanging out in those marshes as well. I also read up on the efforts to clean up the overgrowth on Howard Beach and add cameras/police presence and I really hope it'll come to pass.

I still haven't quite felt back to "normal" ever since this happened, I guess because of the distance to me and the overlap of circumstance. Last night I had a nightmare about somebody waiting in the woods for another young woman - anybody at all - and it was kind of that "running in slow motion" dream feeling where I couldn't do anything with this information to help anybody, it was just weighing in my gut that somebody had chosen a wooded trail at random, very close to its exit/entrance, broad daylight again. And then I woke up to news about Vanessa Marcotte and I just feel sick. IMO they're not related, save for the possibility of some psychopathic loser being inspired by the coverage on Karina's case.

((bettiepageturner))

I'm glad you called it in. I'm sorry the incident weighs in your gut- understandable that it does. You did the right thing by sharing the incident with LE. Thank you.

With all the news coverage and a reward I have to wonder ... the fact that the recovered dna did not match anyone in the system, and the fact that nobody has reported seeing a friend/acquaintance or family member with a bite wound (if Karina indeed bit him) and/or unexplained scratch marks on exposed skin, plus LE thinking that the perp is "unsophisticated", all this combined makes me think that this was the act of a very young male who still lives with his parents. Parents protecting him, keeping him inside for now, taking care of any wounds, and not saying anything. Possibly a drug addict or someone with health problems and the parents don't feel he's really responsible for the crime. jmo

Somebody must be knowing this guy and seen his face/arms etc on Aug 3!

With all the news coverage and a reward I have to wonder ... the fact that the recovered dna did not match anyone in the system, and the fact that nobody has reported seeing a friend/acquaintance or family member with a bite wound (if Karina indeed bit him) and/or unexplained scratch marks on exposed skin, plus LE thinking that the perp is "unsophisticated", all this combined makes me think that this was the act of a very young male who still lives with his parents. Parents protecting him, keeping him inside for now, taking care of any wounds, and not saying anything. Possibly a drug addict or someone with health problems and the parents don't feel he's really responsible for the crime. jmo

Yep. I think it's a young person or persons. Not sure about drug addict, but possibly a young person using the Weeds area to use drugs or drink....or just to hang out.

jmo

I thought her body was found at 11 p.m., but it says 9 p.m. She was found incredibly fast and her father was really on the ball.

I'm surprised LE let this DNA info out so soon. It'd make the killer get comfortable thinking they might not get caught. Is this a young newbie killer with a lily white rap sheet? I know LE will keep working on this.

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...o-host-forum-on-jogger-murder-case-1.12147791

As a retired firefighter who also searched for remains at the 9/11 World Trade Center aftermath, her father would know a lot about search and rescue.

Yep. I think it's a young person or persons. Not sure about drug addict, but possibly a young person using the Weeds area to use drugs or drink....or just to hang out.

jmo
If just one person, then surely strong..... also level of violences suggests someone of a different ethnicity/culture/social status with built-up rage/hatred toward all that Karina appeared to be and stood for. If a transient, probably long gone from area. If she did bite him, check of pharmacies in the area might yield someone...

I really hope NYPD is telling locals to BOLO for any male who doesn't show up for work, abruptly moves out, or misses summer school/exams or appointments (psych, social services). Or who suddenly is wearing long sleeves outdoors in the heat.

As a retired firefighter who also searched for remains at the 9/11 World Trade Center aftermath, her father would know a lot about search and rescue.

And, he knew her jogging route and the neighborhood in general. Their regular routine was to run from 5-6pm. She left his home around 5pm, so he knew that she didn't arrive home when expected, it was time to worry. It doesn't surprise me that he was able to find her quickly given these circumstances.

I really hope NYPD is telling locals to BOLO for any male who doesn't show up for work, abruptly moves out, or misses summer school/exams or appointments (psych, social services). Or who suddenly is wearing long sleeves outdoors in the heat.

IMO (worth what you paid for it), I think the perp is living life just as he (or they) regularly do. If it were a group of young people, perhaps one didn't participate actively and will say something. Or maybe the perp will be unable to resist bragging rights to a peer and that peer will have a soul strong enough to tell LE. Maybe a girlfriend will notice unexplainable scratches and bruises on a boyfriend and report it. Please be so!

I'm still leaning toward the group/duo of youths (but ready to change my mind when evidence points in another direction).

jmopinion at the moment.

Transcript mentioned above covers everything to date and raises some interesting questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jetsetj