NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing new in this article in terms of the investigation, but more local information about the Weeds and who in the area would go into the Weeds....first mention I've seen of teenage dirt-bike riders. Also, there is a mention of a brutal attack on a young woman that happened in nearby Rockaway. Anyone know about that? That victim, fortunately, lived.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/09/who-murdered-nyc-jogger-karina-vetrano.html
OldSteve posted on VM's thread that VM's wetsuit photo was at Rockaway...

Everyone assuming that it was because she went running without her father, she was attacked - but what if it were multiple assailants who knowing she ran at that time with her father had planned to attack both?! - think how that scenario would change things, including raising the possibility of a payback type crime...

ETA: instead of waiting for another time, they spur-of-moment they changed plans, attacking her alone...

((bettiepageturner))

I'm glad you called it in. I'm sorry the incident weighs in your gut- understandable that it does. You did the right thing by sharing the incident with LE. Thank you.

Thanks - to be clear I meant the Karina incident, I wasn't thinking about mine until that and wasn't that rattled! Thanks for encouraging the call. :)

Everyone assuming that it was because she when running without her father, but what if it were multiple assailants who knowing she ran at that time with her father had planned to attack both?! - think how that scenario would change things, including raising the possibility of payback.

This thought crossed my mind that he may have been targeted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking in terms of Occam's Razor (a line of reasoning that says the simplest answer is often correct) the idea of people knowing and seeing they jogged together regularly and planned an attack seems simpler than knowing they ran together and having to wait for the odd chance she'd be alone, or that of someone being there by chance in the weeds the one time she goes alone...
Well, it's just a thought, and who knows...

Thinking in terms of Occam's Razor (a line of reasoning that says the simplest answer is often correct) the idea of people knowing and seeing they jogged together regularly and planned an attack seems simpler than knowing they ran together and having to wait for the odd chance she'd be alone, or that of someone being there by chance in the weeds the one time she goes alone...
Well, it's just a thought, and who knows...

That's how I see it vs someone lurking in the weeds and taking a chance with a physically fit adult victim or just getting lucky. And this crime seems too violent and cruelly denigrating to be an opportunistic rape and murder. But, I live in CO and the Jessica Ridgeway murder surprised me when it turned out to be a psychopathic youth who just wanted a victim that day, so I guess anything is possible. He did however first attempt to grab an adult female jogger (and in my view opted for a child because they're easier to subdue), so perhaps there is something about that type of arena where female victims are perceived to be plentiful that is attractive. No idea.

I'm not at all comparing the two cases, I'm just saying that sometimes the perp profile is very different than it seems to be.

Everyone assuming that it was because she went running without her father, she was attacked - but what if it were multiple assailants who knowing she ran at that time with her father had planned to attack both?! - think how that scenario would change things, including raising the possibility of a payback type crime...

ETA: instead of waiting for another time, they spur-of-moment they changed plans, attacking her alone...

So very unwise to attack a first responder in a place like Howard Beach...jmo

It would matter if someone newer to the area had noticed her before or if this was really just one of those random spur of the moment crimes. Questions I have that maybe someone knows:

- Karina was in Nice, France around the time of the Bastille Day attack of July 13th. She returned soon after. How long was she away on this vacation?

- She went running often with her father, but he didn't go with her the night she was killed because he had injured his back. Did she always run only in that area like clockwork? Had her father gone running with her steady in the two weeks since her return from vacation? When was the last time he went out running with her?

From what I remember, dad's back problems, disability and discontinuing running has been a couple of months.

so was it actually the first time she went running without her dad?

I read that she sometimes went running without her dad, but have never read anywhere that she ever went running with anyone else. She was also in the habit of running the same route at the same time,unfortunately. jmo

It would matter if someone newer to the area had noticed her before or if this was really just one of those random spur of the moment crimes. Questions I have that maybe someone knows:

- Karina was in Nice, France around the time of the Bastille Day attack of July 13th. She returned soon after. How long was she away on this vacation?

- She went running often with her father, but he didn't go with her the night she was killed because he had injured his back. Did she always run only in that area like clockwork? Had her father gone running with her steady in the two weeks since her return from vacation? When was the last time he went out running with her?

Yes, I read that she always went running on that path, at around the same time. not always with her dad. Don't know exactly when she last went running with her dad.

I only know that K. spent her birthday in St. Tropez.

“"She had a routine jog,” one neighbor said, describing Vetrano as a “pretty girl.”
Another neighbor, who would identify himself only as John, said Vetrano went jogging with her father nearly every night before he suffered an injury."
http://nypost.com/2016/08/03/jogger-murdered-after-evening-run-in-queens/

"Her father, a former firefighter who neighbors said retired on disability and couldn’t jog with her because of a recent back injury, had warned her against running in the remote, marshy area that is known to be frequented by transients."

http://nypost.com/2016/08/04/traumatized-dad-was-first-to-find-body-of-murdered-jogger/

No real timeframe on dad's injury.

Yes, I read that she always went running on that path, at around the same time. not always with her dad. Don't know exactly when she last went running with her dad.

I only know that K. spent her birthday in St. Tropez.

All this time I was thinking this was the first time she ran alone, or that it was a rare event (her running alone) - BUT if she had been running alone for days? weeks? month? - that changes everything!

I've been looking for a retirement date, party pics or anything but empty handed so far.

I've been looking for a retirement date, party pics or anything but empty handed so far.

Did he retire ? originally it was said that he was out on disability. jmo But, maybe he put in his retirement when he was out. jmo

Tread lightly. The father is a victim, not to be sleuthed on WS, per TOS.

From what I remember, dad's back problems, disability and discontinuing running has been a couple of months.

Keeleydoll, Can I ask where you heard that it was a couple of months ? tia lizb

All this time I was thinking this was the first time she ran alone, or that it was a rare event (her running alone) - BUT if she had been running alone for days? weeks? month? - that changes everything!

I do not know how long she had been running alone. another poster mentioned it had been a month or so. IDK I did read that she didn't always jog with her dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991