NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think stmarysmead was thinking of an areal photo published with an article a couple of days ago that showed the exact spot where she was found and there were houses quite close by. I remember because I also wondered whether anyone in those houses either heard or saw something, or could have watched her from those houses and followed her. This did not look like and "entrance" to a park, just a row of houses next to the weeds. I'm sorry I do not remember which article this was.

Thank you so much!

Yes, that's the photo I saw as well. And they were not shanty houses, but nice ones and appeared to be "above" the area. It made me wonder if someone could have watched her for a few days. Having lived by an overgrown wood when my kids were younger...I remember the kids made their own trail down to an open area. It was hardly noticeable but it was there.

It made me think that there might be a way that teenagers who live in or near those houses get down to the trail she was on...without going the traditional way.

In the heat of an afternoon, it seems not so likely to me that someone would wait in those thick weeds, in hopes that someone could come along. Of course, it could just be unlucky chance. But I keep coming back to the thought that someone watched her, knew her routine, and that lately she was alone.

Was her Instagram open or private? I wonder if someone fixated on this beautiful girl and watched her every day...so close to them on that trail.

Just thinking out loud.

IDK, but I don't think it's common. ??

The fact that she was raped in two places is one of the reasons I'm suspecting there is more than one perp. :(

So sad she had to go through this brutality.

jmopinion

From what I've read, it is uncommon for a stranger, male on female, random attack to be anal and/or both.

Wouldn't a random perp be in a rush? Nervous to be seen or caught? Especially in daylight?

Something is just off.

I think it is actually. it is all about degrading the victim and its nothing to the perp whether it hurts or not.

I hate to think about this...let alone post it. But...it's really bothering me.

Anal rape is really not "common". Is it? (Not that any rape is..)

I've been trying to find info, but, not finding much.

KV's story is so so horrible.

From Google maps it looks like there are trails all through the park with some much better maintained than others, with residential streets bordering one side, Belt Parkway running through it and Old Mill Creek (part of a bay?) on the other side. The park is something like 240 acres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ab6c9106ee3219e5916b9c5de22c0ddc.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure it's because we live in a 24/7 news cycle and we're even more aware of these things because of following true crime cases, but this summer feels like a particularly violent one for young women, although I know young women go missing all the time (unfortunately).

Is this what you're thinking of?

"Steve (redacted by me), 30, who lives one block over from the Vetranos, said he saw Karina go onto the path alone sometime after 5 p.m. Tuesday at the start of her run."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...father-howard-beach-marshes-article-1.2736823

I don't know why, but I assumed she entered the park at the end of her run, not at the beginning. Not sure that means anything, just have to change the timeline in my bean-brain.

(I redacted his last name.)

Yes, that was it. So, the original report that said she was last see on video at 546pm was wrong, I guess ?

Thank you so much!

Yes, that's the photo I saw as well. And they were not shanty houses, but nice ones and appeared to be "above" the area. It made me wonder if someone could have watched her for a few days. Having lived by an overgrown wood when my kids were younger...I remember the kids made their own trail down to an open area. It was hardly noticeable but it was there.

It made me think that there might be a way that teenagers who live in or near those houses get down to the trail she was on...without going the traditional way.

In the heat of an afternoon, it seems not so likely to me that someone would wait in those thick weeds, in hopes that someone could come along. Of course, it could just be unlucky chance. But I keep coming back to the thought that someone watched her, knew her routine, and that lately she was alone.

Was her Instagram open or private? I wonder if someone fixated on this beautiful girl and watched her every day...so close to them on that trail.

Just thinking out loud.

BBM

I agree. I don't think anyone was laying in wait in the Weeds in the hopes that a lone woman would come along to rape.

I do, however, think the perp was in the park - doing whatever he/they were doing - and grabbed her simply because he/they saw her and could get away with it in the isolated area.

jmopinion

This was a very brutal sexually motivated crime. I don't think it was revenge or just to kill. The sex was what drove him, IMO. The perp fought and beat her until he could rape her and leave her dead. His fists would've had marks and she may have scratched or bit him. He's someone physically fit enough to overpower her. I don't see him as the watching and waiting type.

She was found so soon after. He was reckless in that LE was looking for him that night! Perhaps he isn't aware of how close Karina was to her family, or that she would be searched for right away. But this is where the trail goes cold. He would've needed to clean up some and might have been wounded. I guess he could've said he got in a bar fight if he lived with someone.

Figuring out if he had transportation would help LE a great deal. Where did he flee to after the attack? The best hope now would be if he was staying with someone who noticed his wounds and behavior, so I hope this guy isn't a loner.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...body-covered-bruises-panties-pulled-down.html

Photo 15 of 20 shows how the homes sit "above" the fire trials/running path.

For anyone who was looking for this photo ��

Just want to add that this photo looks like it was taken after the weeds had been cut

They must have changed the photos? This article only has 17 photos, no. 15 shows one of Karina, and none of the others show any houses. But there is a map showing the spot where she was killed. Might be helpful when looking google satellite images.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...body-covered-bruises-panties-pulled-down.html

Photo 15 of 20 shows how the homes sit "above" the fire trials/running path.

For anyone who was looking for this photo 😊

Just want to add that this photo looks like it was taken after the weeds had been cut

Thank you - that was helpful. I'm all the more convinced that the perp (or perps) was in the park and happened upon her, and hunted her down. If someone in one of those houses saw her, it would take some effort and time to get through the weeds from the back of the house all the way down to where she was. Possible....just seems unlikely imo.

I'm sticking with my theory of youth in the park whose DNA is not on file, who made a quick getaway by running or on bike, who might be scratched and bruised. They didn't notice her enter the park, but noticed her while in the park. Crime committed solo, duo, or group.

jmopinion at the moment.

How far are those houses from the entrance Karina used? Did she loop around and exit that way too? Because if someone was watching her from one of those houses and saw her enter, is it likely that the Watcher could go to the entrance and walk into the trail, waiting for her to loop back as she always did?

I'm not sure why...but this seems personal to me. One problem with social media, IMO, is that it allows strangers to feel they know you. I wonder if her Instagram was open to the public. She posted beautiful artistic pictures, but I can see some stranger who knew her pattern of running...watching her...obsessing, fantasizing over her Instagram. And then, realizing, that he could make his twisted fantasy happen.

They must have changed the photos? This article only has 17 photos, no. 15 shows one of Karina, and none of the others show any houses. But there is a map showing the spot where she was killed. Might be helpful when looking google satellite images.

When I click on the link it's there😕 Hopefully this works but I'm sure the quality isn't very good

[video]http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh540/laurendini82/10703635-5844-41EF-8BBD-B74105E8BE3D_zpsrubws92r.png[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emmab