NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Chrissy-

I have the same fear lately. I have always been cautious walking around my neighborhood (Ridgewood, Queens), however lately I have been extra cautious, filled with fear. Any man that walks by me, I think he is out to get me. I walk my dog late at night and still fear even having him with me. I also am aware of the bike path. I've biked to the Rockaways, to the Gateway Mall, and know exactly what you are talking about with the path going off and away from the parkway. I too wondered what was in those weeds. It's always been a hangout for drug lords and gang members. It has crossed my mind that perhaps this was a gang initiation. Someone would have had to know though that a female would be in there. Also want to clarify for many asking how no one could hear her screams if in fact she did scream. The location where her phone was found and her body found was further away from the street houses and closer to the shore line. Even if she screamed loudly, unless someone was in the park at the same time, or walking on 78th street, it wouldn't be able to be heard in a house with AC on, TV on etc.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RBBM : I believe she ran the same route each day, at around the same time. Sometimes with her dad, sometimes alone. Not hard to target her, if that was someone's intention. jmo

something else : I wonder if she ever did this run with anyone other than her dad ?

RBBM : I believe she ran the same route each day, at around the same time. Sometimes with her dad, sometimes alone. Not hard to target her, if that was someone's intention. jmo

something else : I wonder if she ever did this run with anyone other than her dad ?

True....but even if it were someone who watched her and noticed that day she was alone, the perp would have no idea if the dad wasn't a block behind, or that Karina was texting her dad elsewhere on the route. The dad "could have" shown up at any second as far as a stalking perp was concerned.

I think it was someone who had no idea about the daily jogging routine.

jmopinion at the moment.

True....but even if it were someone who watched her and noticed that day she was alone, the perp would have no idea if the dad wasn't a block behind, or that Karina was texting her dad elsewhere on the route. The dad "could have" shown up at any second as far as a stalking perp was concerned.

jmopinion at the moment.
I agree. I think it was a random act and the perp did not know the father usually jogged with her. If it was a gang initiation, the person would have had to known there would be someone there. I just know that Spring Creek Park has been a dumping ground for bodies in the past, and it is usually filled with drug lords, homeless and gangs. It is easily accessible all around the perimeters of the park. There are no gates on that side of 78th Street. I believe the killer entered from the Belt Parkway bike path and exited back out that way as well.

Are gang initiations usually this brutal and twisted though? To rape the woman in this manner would take a very sick and perverted mind in my opinion. Don't they just kill someone and are done with it?

Are gang initiations usually this brutal and twisted though? To rape the woman in this manner would take a very sick and perverted mind in my opinion. Don't they just kill someone and are done with it?
Good question. I'm not sure. It has also crossed my mind that perhaps in was a "gang rape" gone wrong. Or if not more than one perp, a rape gone wrong. Where he did not intend to kill Karina, but instead was holding her down by her kneck and strangled her during the rape.

If in fact the condom did belong to the perp, then what was the point of using a condom if you're going to leave it there?

we hear in the news about these crazy gang initiations, while its just as awful, most gang initiations are hits on opposing gangs. if it is while incarcerated, they assault or "hit" (stab) a rival and on the streets could be the same or a drive by, but the target is usually rival gangs.

I'm glad for the confirmation about that....even though it shoots down my theory that there were more than one. I'll gladly revise my thinking.

There seems so little to go on...

:(
I am in between the one perp and multiple. Although they only found DNA of one person, doesn't mean there was another person there as a lookout.

I keep going back to her Instagram post with another man, followed by the break up 2 days later followed by Karina's rape and murder 2 days after that. Even though the ex-boyfriend was cleared, could there be a way that he still did it? Or had someone do it for him? It's so weird but when I sit and think about everything I can't help but think about the ex even though he had an alibi and is not considered a suspect.
I also think it seems too much of a coincidence that Karina was murdered only 2 days after breaking up with her BF. But I have been thinking since early on, that the killer would more likely be someone who saw the breakup as an opportunity to pursue a relationship with Karina himself, and then was angered when she rejected him. That's why I'm concerned about what Karina may have posted on SM about her daily jog.

When they said they don't a DNA match in the database yet, does that mean they MAY have matched his DNA to other sexual assaults, but the perp is unknown (individual's name)?

I think that's possible

I am in between the one perp and multiple. Although they only found DNA of one person, doesn't mean there was another person there as a lookout.

Thats right. There are some examples from the past when two men had overpowered and raped a woman. One of them was the active part who did the rape and most of the overpowering and the second one just stands at the scenery or assists the first a little with overpowering or watching if a person appears. So the abscence of second DNA does not mean there was no other man or woman at the crime scene.

jmopinion at the moment.

Thing is, if indeed people do run on the fire lanes, I would expect to hear about other women coming forward to report feeling unsafe, or seeing characters there and telling LE. I can't really explain it, but it just feels "off" somehow ? I wonder if she ever ran with anyone else on the fire lanes ? maybe another runner that she knew,or met on the trail ?

I also think it seems too much of a coincidence that Karina was murdered only 2 days after breaking up with her BF. But I have been thinking since early on, that the killer is more likely someone who saw the breakup as an opportunity to pursue a relationship with Karina himself, and then was angered when she rejected him. That's why I'm concerned about what Karina may have posted on SM about her daily jog.

If the father - or the mother, for that matter - thought for a second that the ex-boyfriend was involved, I think he would make sure the world knew.

The guy has an alibi, right?

We know in hindsight that the dad wasn't running with her that day, but nobody in the moment knew he wasn't going to be there.

IMO, the exbf is not a suspect.

jmo

I think if they say no match in database, that includes unknown DNA, as that would be a hit. A "cold hit" I think they call it (?) when it matches to an unknown. Jmo

When they said they don't a DNA match in the database yet, does that mean they MAY have matched his DNA to other sexual assaults, but the perp is unknown (individual's name)?

I think that's possible
I think it usually means that no one has ever done a crime whose DNA matches what was taken as the sample from K.'s attacker. One thing : they might not be from this country, but could have matching DNA in the system of the country of their origin. jmo

I think if they say no match in database, that includes unknown DNA, as that would be a hit. A "cold hit" I think they call it (?) when it matches to an unknown. Jmo

Thanks, Clu. Couldn't remember what that was called.

I can't let go that NYC LE (and MA LE in the VM case) might not tell the public that so early on though.

Thanks, Clu. Couldn't remember what that was called.

I can't let go that NYC LE (and MA LE in the VM case) might not tell the public that so early on though.

Do I have this straight:

Hit = DNA matches DNA that has been previously collected and identified.

Cold Hit = DNA matches DNA previously collected but never identified.

No Hit = DNA does not match any DNA that has been collected from other crimes.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member