NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview with parents at http://pix11.com/2016/08/10/exclusi...recall-final-conversation-search-for-justice/

"Phil then called police and searched the weeds with detectives, who used cell phone tracking technology to ping Karina’s phone."

"They [the parents] are wholly convinced those weeds have served as a hunting ground for people with bad intentions for far too long. They say Karina was the victim of a random crime of opportunity."

I've been wondering about the condom too. Plenty of city parks, especially remote sections, are littered with condoms so we can't assume it's connected to the crime. (Though, who would want to be having sex in the Weeds - just seems....scratchy.)

If the condom was part of the crime, it again points me to more than one perp. It would be hard for a perp to put on a condom while still subduing a fighter like Karina. But, a duo or group could manage it. Maybe one in the group was fastidious about his crime?!?

Plenty of guys carry condoms on them....but yeah, putting it on before a rape is probably not what happened.

jmopinion

unless rape was port-mortem

I posted about that article earlier and think it's a good tactic. If Howard Beach is as tight of a community as it claims then no one should have an issue with providing a buccal swab, and if they do then suspicions would be raised.

I agree about the shorts and t-shirts/tanks, been pretty warm and humid in NY. You never know though the person could be in hiding and nursing his wounds. Waiting to come out til he is "in the clear"

Or took a sudden out of state trip visiting friends or relatives to avoid suspicion...
In one LA case we sleuthed in 2012, the perp; Brandon Scott Lavergne was a tier 3 RSO and had to report to the local PD with lacerations and other injuries, and a severe rash that he received from being pepper sprayed during the abduction/murder of bicyclist Mickey Shunick. The lengths that he went to in an attempt to escape justice was mind boggling. The sexual predator/killer of Karina Vetrano, will also go to great lengths to escape justice, imo..

NYPD solicits DNA samples from men who frequent Howard Beach park where Karina Vetrano was killed -
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...assachusetts-jogger-murders-article-1.2745626

Curious in that LE has said she put up quit a fight and considering the oppressive heat we've been having, everyone is wearing shorts, and short/no sleeve shirts that would show something (unless of course there were multiple attackers and the one leaving DNA isn't the one who took her down)...

The pressure is on with the parent's of Karina very determined, the large reward, the neighborhood's anger, and LE solicitation of DNA.
I can't see a guilty man letting them take his DNA. Does this mean LE thinks this perp hangs around or lives in the neighborhood? What's the perp going to do? If he's a local resident, I wonder if he's in a position to leave town, maybe a job or a family, without anyone noticing?
I'm waiting to see how this monster gets caught.

Despite the severity of the victim’s injuries, detectives believe there was just one attacker, in large part because only one DNA sample was recovered at the scene.

I keep going back to her Instagram post with another man, followed by the break up 2 days later followed by Karina's rape and murder 2 days after that. Even though the ex-boyfriend was cleared, could there be a way that he still did it? Or had someone do it for him? It's so weird but when I sit and think about everything I can't help but think about the ex even though he had an alibi and is not considered a suspect.

I keep going back to her Instagram post with another man, followed by the break up 2 days later followed by Karina's rape and murder 2 days after that. Even though the ex-boyfriend was cleared, could there be a way that he still did it? Or had someone do it for him? It's so weird but when I sit and think about everything I can't help but think about the ex even though he had an alibi and is not considered a suspect.

Yes, that is an odd coincidence. I've been trying to see this case from different angles too. I even thought maybe a jealous woman who felt her man was being stolen hired this brutal killing as revenge.

About the ex boyfriend-- It would help ease lingering suspicions if he was now standing next to her family joining them in the search for her killer. Was he at the funeral service? Wonder if her parents liked him or suspected him at first. He must have cared about her, so I expected he'd also make a statement to the media about getting justice for Karina. I have no idea how long they've been together though. LE must've put him through some grueling questioning before they cleared him, but maybe he feels they're still watching his every move.

There's so many random attacks on women though. I still think it was a crime of opportunity.

i think nypost.com has the wrong picture it has a picture of Vanessa next to Karina's dad. Am I wrong?

No, you are right Lindsay. They may look somewhat similar but I don't see how they could confuse the two if they have been following the cases.

i think nypost.com has the wrong picture it has a picture of Vanessa next to Karina's dad. Am I wrong?

The story link is correct, but their front page of the online news feed has the wrong image:

c6d4b07bd7964badbac4c6add1c8b0cf.png

http://nypost.com/

Link to news story:
Slain jogger’s heartbreaking final words: ‘It’s OK, Daddy, I’ll be all right’ | New York Post
http://nypost.com/2016/08/11/slain-joggers-heartbreaking-final-words-its-ok-daddy/

I sent the author @JoeTacopino a tweet to let him know
twitter.com/joetacopino
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that is an odd coincidence. I've been trying to see this case from different angles too. I even thought maybe a jealous woman who felt her man was being stolen hired this brutal killing as revenge.

About the ex boyfriend-- It would help ease lingering suspicions if he was now standing next to her family joining them in the search for her killer. Was he at the funeral service? Wonder if her parents liked him or suspected him at first. He must have cared about her, so I expected he'd also make a statement to the media about getting justice for Karina. I have no idea how long they've been together though. LE must've put him through some grueling questioning before they cleared him, but maybe he feels they're still watching his every move.

There's so many random attacks on women though. I still think it was a crime of opportunity.

It's just such a big coincidence. All I know of the ex is that he told police that they broke up because he felt that what they had was more than casual and she felt it was something more casual.

It's just such a big coincidence. All I know of the ex is that he told police that they broke up because he felt that what they had was more than casual and she felt it was something more casual.

Yes, that was my understanding. If so, it would make sense he wasn't with the family. They may not have even known him. He was just some dude she was dating. That certainly doesn't bring him to the front and center with the grieving family. He'd be more like a friend in the background.

In the video here, they state that to cut the grass one time in the park Karina was found dead, it would cost half a million dollars. Guy in the background seems to laugh at the absurdity. http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...assachusetts-jogger-murders-article-1.2745626

There's an excellent link in that NY Post article from an editor at Runner's World who survived an attack years ago. Very scary. Like others have said, she suggests IF you do wear earbuds (she doesn't recommend though!), only wear one. That made me think somebody should make them like that for runners! That way you don't have one dangling on your shoulder when you run.

There is currently a ******** page for Karina,<modsnip> money talks so lets see if this will get somebody who knows something to come forward!

I posted about that article earlier and think it's a good tactic. If Howard Beach is as tight of a community as it claims then no one should have an issue with providing a buccal swab, and if they do then suspicions would be raised.

I agree about the shorts and t-shirts/tanks, been pretty warm and humid in NY. You never know though the person could be in hiding and nursing his wounds. Waiting to come out til he is "in the clear"
If I was innocent, I'd be ok with a buccal swab UNLESS they would not agree to destroy it afterward. I don't want my DNA on file nor should it be if given voluntarily.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

If i compare the news in my country regarding the Vetrano and Marcotte cases it is remarkable that boulevard newspaper articles but also those of conservative background dealing with the Marcotte murder write often about a "successfull Google manager" who was killed during jogging which is a fact of course, but when they wrote about Karina few days before the core message was "young waitress and fitness junkie who often posed lascivious on social media like instagram was raped and killed" with a kind of undertone that Karina in contrast to Vanessa could be blamed for becomming a victim.

Regarding the killer in the Vetrano case i still think it was a crime of opportunity committed by a guy with low or average grad of education. An average guy who is in a relationship or even has a wife and kids.

Hello, I am a new member to the group and live in Bushwick--approx 4.5 miles from where Karina was found. There have been a spate of rapes and attempted rapes this summer in the neighborhood. Bushwick (Brooklyn) has become popular with the hipster set--lots of young people, bars, restaurants, etc.

July 26th Rape https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20160726/bushwick/burglar-wakes-woman-rape-her-bushwick-nypd-says

June 19th Attempted Rape / Throat slashed https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20...eck-while-trying-rape-her-bushwick-police-say

May 6 Attempted Rape http://bushwickdaily.com/bushwick/c...r-rape-attempt-near-bushwick-ridgewood-border

IMO from the video footage it appears that each case has a different perp. I have not been to Howard Beach but I know that it is a tight knit community. It is however close to one of the last not so great neighborhoods, East New York--you can see the crime data mapped out here: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/New_York-New_York/crime/

As for jogging alone/with earbuds in, men should exercise the same caution! (on a separate note this case is shocking http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-eight-years-experts-fear-deaths-linked.html)

I hope this case is solved soon so the family and community can rest.

Welcome, Oddmomout! Glad to have you here - thanks for sharing these cases. I think the East New York connection is definitely worth considering - that would be "local" person yet "transient" at the same time....could fit this.

There's an excellent link in that NY Post article from an editor at Runner's World who survived an attack years ago. Very scary. Like others have said, she suggests IF you do wear earbuds (she doesn't recommend though!), only wear one. That made me think somebody should make them like that for runners! That way you don't have one dangling on your shoulder when you run.

Yes! If you're an entrepreneur, go for this. I think it's an excellent idea to have a one-bud headphones, and I think there would be a market for it. The dangling end is a nuisance as well as a temptation to put both buds in.

Do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member