NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She stops to text her friend, he comes up behind her and pulls her down by her ponytail. Seems most likely to me given what information we have and general techniques of rapists.
Unless she was at the end of her run and walking I don't think she stopped to text. I've seen many runners/joggers texting and running/jogging at the same time. They won't just stop mid run/jog to send a text.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Unless she was at the end of her run and walking I don't think she stopped to text. I've seen many runners/joggers texting and running/jogging at the same time. They won't just stop mid run/jog to send a text.

The more I think about this, the more I think it was someone who knew she joged that trail around 5pm and was waiting...

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/08/22/nyregion/rapists-and-condoms-is-use-a-cavalier-act-or-a-way-to-avoid-disease-and-arrest.html

Apparently it is not uncommon for rapists to use a condom. The article above is old, from 1994, and DNA capture methods have changed and grown since then. the point of using a condom is that the rapist takes it with him, and ( he thinks) will eliminate any of his DNA... Now, in this case a condom was found near to V.'s body. Question is did he drop it in panic, or is it totally unrelated ? Also, V.'s mother's description of the rapist as "impotent " is interesting. Difficult to type, but was she violated with an object ?

Let's keep an eye on this....might need another thread. :(

Any info on the 27yo missing woman....I'm not finding anything.
News right now says it is the 27 year old mother who has been missing from Mount Vernon, NY for a week. But haven't heard of her before tonight. Sad.

News right now says it is the 27 year old mother who has been missing from Mount Vernon, NY for a week. But haven't heard of her before tonight. Sad.

Given the location of this new case in the Bronx, I'm guessing it will not be related to Karina. Of course, I'm curious if this latest victim was jogging.

Whether this new one is connected to Karina or not, it's sad to see another case, really sad.

jmo

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/08/22/nyregion/rapists-and-condoms-is-use-a-cavalier-act-or-a-way-to-avoid-disease-and-arrest.html

Apparently it is not uncommon for rapists to use a condom. The article above is old, from 1994, and DNA capture methods have changed and grown since then. the point of using a condom is that the rapist takes it with him, and ( he thinks) will eliminate any of his DNA... Now, in this case a condom was found near to V.'s body. Question is did he drop it in panic, or is it totally unrelated ? Also, V.'s mother's description of the rapist as "impotent " is interesting. Difficult to type, but was she violated with an object ?

I'm thinking, what if he found a used condom in the area and touched her with it to throw LE off - thinking they will think it's his DNA inside.... It was mentioned the area is known to have condoms scattered about...

I'm thinking, what if he found a used condom in the area and touched her with it to throw LE off - thinking they will think it's his DNA inside.... It was mentioned the area is known to have condoms scattered about...
I'm thinking the used condom did not have any DNA in it since LE has said they only found DNA on her throat, phone and under her fingernails. Thinking this is why the mother has said he was "dickless" and "impotent". Sounds like no semen was found anywhere.

I'm thinking the used condom did not have any DNA in it since LE has said they only found DNA on her throat, phone and under her fingernails. Thinking this is why the mother has said he was "dickless" and "impotent". Sounds like no semen was found anywhere.

IF he was impotent, K. must have been raped with an object. jmo

Perhaps testing revealed what I thought, that it was bogus and an attempt to throw off LE....

The Vanessa Marcotte thread got me thinking how strange Karina's attack was. All reports seem to indicate her attacker was on foot. I just can't seem him hiding in the weeds for hours and getting chewed up by misquotes that have been veracious this summer... (Maybe if he knew she jogged everyday at that time, but then where did he live to know this?) If he came up to jogging, wouldn't she have sense his presence and ran faster seeing he had a rock in his hand (thought we don't know how big the stone used was).

I don't know of any other case, except the Central Park Jogger attack years back where a jogger was attacked by someone on foot. All other attacks involve the use of a vehicle in some way.
Finding Karina at night like she was, I wonder if the crime scene was preserved enough to tell if the attacker really was on foot, or did he use a bicycle of some kind...

The Vanessa Marcotte thread got me thinking how strange Karina's attack was. All reports seem to indicate her attacker was on foot. I just can't seem him hiding in the weeds for hours and getting chewed up by misquotes that have been veracious this summer... (Maybe if he knew she jogged everyday at that time, but then where did he live to know this?) If he came up to jogging, wouldn't she have sense his presence and ran faster seeing he had a rock in his hand (thought we don't know how big the stone used was).

I don't know of any other case, except the Central Park Jogger attack years back where a jogger was attacked by someone on foot. All other attacks involve the use of a vehicle in some way.
Finding Karina at night like she was, I wonder if the crime scene was preserved enough to tell if the attacker really was on foot, or did he use a bicycle of some kind...

Karina was said to normally jog this more isolated path with her Dad, but back pain kept him from joining her that day. So somebody stalking her in advance would have had no way to know that she'd be alone that afternoon or how would they?

Karina was said to normally jog this more isolated path with her Dad, but back pain kept him from joining her that day. So somebody stalking her in advance would have had no way to know that she'd be alone that afternoon or how would they?
There seems to be confusion in the way this was reported - at it first appeared that this was the first time she jogged alone, but then from what I've read - she'd been doing it alone ever since her father's back injury that resulted in his disability. But, never clarified just how long that was - days, weeks, months?

ETA: so many little "Colombo-like" details we are missing in this case, such as the above as well as -
>did she normally jog back over the same path she went out on, and if so did attack happen as she ran out, or returned back.
>did she normally text and listen to music at same time.
>did she keep one ear bud out to hear surroundings.
>when she texted did she slow down or stop.
>how fast a jogger/runner was she.
>size of rock used.
>was it determined where the rock was taken from, at the scene of someplace else.
>was there any sign in the weeds of a place where someone was hiding out, such as a small clearing and path to it.
>did she keep her hair up or down (pony tail) when jogging.
>how well was crime scene preserved.
>any foot prints, bike/tire marks.
>what do overview photos show of the area.
>did she break teeth biting assailant.
>no mention of DNA under her finger nails.
>what kind of DNA was found on her - some types of DNA can reveal certain traits.
>how long had she been doing this jog alone for (days, weeks, etc.).

I love columbo. I watched a particularly good episode last night on netflix, "lady in waiting". He's on MEtv too, of course. Sorry to derail.

There seems to be confusion in the way this was reported - at it first appeared that this was the first time she jogged alone, but then from what I've read - she'd been doing it alone ever since her father's back injury that resulted in his disability. But, never clarified just how long that was - days, weeks, months?

ETA: so many little "Colombo-like" details we are missing in this case, such as the above as well as -
>did she normally jog back over the same path she went out on, and if so did attack happen as she ran out, or returned back.
>did she normally text and listen to music at same time.
>did she keep one ear bud out to hear surroundings.
>when she texted did she slow down or stop.
>how fast a jogger/runner was she.
>size of rock used.
>was it determined where the rock was taken from, at the scene of someplace else.
>was there any sign in the weeds of a place where someone was hiding out, such as a small clearing and path to it.
>did she keep her hair up or down (pony tail) when jogging.
>how well was crime scene preserved.
>any foot prints, bike/tire marks.
>what do overview photos show of the area.
>did she break teeth biting assailant.
>no mention of DNA under her finger nails.
>what kind of DNA was found on her - some types of DNA can reveal certain traits.
>how long had she been doing this jog alone for (days, weeks, etc.).

Not sure where the rock info came from ? He could have hit her on the side of her face with brass knuckles.

Also, I just read here that DNA was found on her throat area, on her phone,and under her fingernails ? Maybe touch DNA on her phone,and on her throat/neck, and blood/skin cells under her fingernails ?

Wonder if him possibly being impotent would put him in an older age bracket ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grumpie13