NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this as well. But then if they have him on camera and see a woman entering the park in the same spot Karina did, why not release that photo and ask for her to come forward?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I'm getting small pangs of uneasiness.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I don't understand why LE is not appealing for this information. I don't really care what the dad's background is or who he knows - this should be going through LE and not his page.

There doesn't seem to be much daylight between the investigation and Mr. Vetrano, as stated by both he and Chief of Det. Boyce, who mentioned in their last public outreach, to be in touch and coordinating.

His last update sounds like he is looking for the person with the GoPro. Someone must have seen a video of it..but the question is who saw the video and how do they not know who it belongs to?

Seems like he wants to review the video.

"Update 71
7 hours ago

I am still looking for that person who shot the GO PRO video on 8/2 at 5:23 pm . someone must know who took it . I just want to review it. Please help"

Do we know what time karina entered the park?

Do we know what time karina entered the park?
The surveillance camera caught her running by at 5:46pm. The entrance to the park is right around the corner from the house so no later than 5:48 she entered I'm thinking.

Do we know how long her father had this back injury? Or when his last run with her was or if anything about his injury was posted on social media? I doubt this has been made public but figured I'd ask. Does anyone know how far the cell phone was found from the body? Have the police stated they believe prints on the phone belong to the killer? Could someone else have gotten prints on the phone? A homeless person, an investigator, etc?

Was the phone found in an area where homeless people regularly hang out?

Was the phone found in an area where homeless people regularly hang out?
Her phone was found thrown into the weedsfrom her body. Not sure of exact distance but it is by her body.

Do we know how long her father had this back injury? Or when his last run with her was or if anything about his injury was posted on social media? I doubt this has been made public but figured I'd ask. Does anyone know how far the cell phone was found from the body? Have the police stated they believe prints on the phone belong to the killer? Could someone else have gotten prints on the phone? A homeless person, an investigator, etc?

Her body was found rather quickly after she went missing. It's possible a homeless person unrelated to the case touched her phone between the time the killer left and when her body was found, but I doubt that happened.

jmo

Det. Boyce said the finger prints on her phone matched hers and the killers so I'm guessing the prints on phone were same as what was found on her boday. They didn't say there were any other prints than Karina and her killer.

The sloppiness seems pretty extreme then. To attack in such a way that not only DNA was left on the body with no attempt at destruction, but also to leave prints on the phone - and then to leave the phone at the scene near the body....

A few random ideas:

Karina's father wrote on 10/5/16:
"Good morning everyone.
On that day August 2 2016. The day my world came to an end. Someone was riding their bicycle around 164 ave and 83 st at exactly 5:23 pm. This person had a go pro camera running at the time . This person picked up a woman going in in the same exact location that Karina went in. Does anyone out there know who this person is . Please everyone ask around . this must be someone from new howard. Please contact me direct. It is very important".

I take from this that someone was riding a bike with a GoPro attached to the bike or a helmet and caught footage of a woman running into the park at the same spot Karina did that evening. Saying about that woman "this must be someone from new howard" is odd. How does he know? Are the Vetranos/Spring Creek Park part of "old Howard?" So does that mean he/friends/family would recognize someone not from that neighborhood?

Re MF: Today's Thursday, a few days past when NYPD said they'd be getting results on his DNA. No announcements either way. Quoting NBC Channel 4, a local news station, "NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said ... that the department believes there is a 'severe community threat' after the killing of Vetrano..." What's the holdup on a case in which LE has said there was a public danger involved?

MF has been described in multiple news outlets as mentally or emotionally disturbed to the point of becoming psychotic that night he was found naked in the park. If my friend had a breakdown of some kind, drug-induced or not, and it could be proven that he had a rock-solid alibi concerning a recent murder, I'd go public with the injustice of the arrest, or I'd certainly expect the family to find an attorney to do that. NYPD said MF would be charged with "public lewdness" and "trespassing." If he was alone in a marsh that late, who is being offended by his lewdness, the cops? Considering how many celebrities flaunt their lewdness, why would this be announced as a charge? Quality of life crimes are squashed these days of the past in NYC. If this man is innocent, his name should be cleared ASAP.

Sounds like the delay means either they are really "liking" him for KV's murder, or else squeezing him for info about other crimes.

Another awesome post Periwink - you too Lauranyc - you're right. If he def was not being considered, that would be said, I think, even before the DNA results. I know the original LE statement was -(paraphrase) - not likely the perp- but of course they have to say that. All IMO.

OTT - Decided to jump back on here today to get my mind off Matthew. PSTD is real. As a Sandy survivor who lost all, I am reliving the trauma.

and thinking more...curious why he wasn't taken to a pscyh ward in a hospital - that would be the typical response IMO to someone having a psychotic break. Or, was he taken there? Where is he now anyhow? Anyone know?

FBI Combines Civil and Criminal Fingerprints into One Fully Searchable Database
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/09/little-fanfare-fbi-ramps-biometrics-programs-yet-again-part-1

Do we know if the perp's finger prints were found at the crime scene?

No, I can't find any MSM references to fingerprints having been found - or not found, for that matter. We do know, however, that the unidentified suspect's DNA was found on Karina's cell phone, which he threw into the reeds.

That article about the FBI beefing up their database of finger prints with "civil" finger prints was fascinating, and news to me. Thanks!

[Edited to add: I've seen some references, in earlier posts by WS members who seem to know the case well, that suspect fingerprints had been found, so maybe my search missed something.]

Another awesome post Periwink - you too Lauranyc - you're right. If he def was not being considered, that would be said, I think, even before the DNA results. I know the original LE statement was -(paraphrase) - not likely the perp- but of course they have to say that. All IMO.

OTT - Decided to jump back on here today to get my mind off Matthew. PSTD is real. As a Sandy survivor who lost all, I am reliving the trauma.

((GutInstinct)) it must be tough to remember Sandy.

A few random ideas:

Karina's father wrote on 10/5/16:
"Good morning everyone.
On that day August 2 2016. The day my world came to an end. Someone was riding their bicycle around 164 ave and 83 st at exactly 5:23 pm. This person had a go pro camera running at the time . This person picked up a woman going in in the same exact location that Karina went in. Does anyone out there know who this person is . Please everyone ask around . this must be someone from new howard. Please contact me direct. It is very important".

I take from this that someone was riding a bike with a GoPro attached to the bike or a helmet and caught footage of a woman running into the park at the same spot Karina did that evening. Saying about that woman "this must be someone from new howard" is odd. How does he know? Are the Vetranos/Spring Creek Park part of "old Howard?" So does that mean he/friends/family would recognize someone not from that neighborhood?

<abridged in response, with respect, for focus>

Thanks, I'd missed that. I've now noted it on the case map with a marker at 164th Ave. & 83rd St. Do you have a source link I could add to it?

Glad to see you pitch in again, GutInstinct. You had asked for some guesses or maybe mapping of the places around the Bay that would have a view of Spring Creek and the running paths, IIRC? I found that poignant as well.

Thank you, sleuthers, for all the updates. Thoughts and prayers going out to all who care for Karina, her family, friends, community, and for LE and all who pursue justice for her.

Karina Vetrano Case Map here ~ click on the icon, it'll link to a very precise diagram Chief Boyce shares in an MSM report: Screenshot 2016-10-07 at 2.35.14 PM.jpg

attachment.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member