NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not yet married to the idea that the two cases are connected. But we are dating exclusively... I will drop the idea that the two cases are connected when LE says they are not connected,. not until then, but jmo. You might be right, maybe LE would have said the DNA matched. Or, maybe they wouldn't have. We shall see, I think...jmo
Although these two cases could very well be connected, I don't think the two cases are, personally, however, I do think that LE thought they could be initially. Why else would the FBI get involved with the VM case? They only get involved in limited cases ie. serial murder, or interstate. (and other reasons that don't apply here)
I agree, until I hear LE enforcement say they are not connected, I won't dismiss the idea.
LE also said for people to remain cautious, in the VM case. That hasn't changed either, so up until the time that they do say something different, or make an arrest, I am hoping that people do remain cautious, because I still see a threat in both cases.

I am surprised to hear it covered on NPR news breaks today.

Someone is working the press releases....good for them!

jmopinion

Thank you and East Coast folks for sharing that the press is covering the latest developments in the case. I was starting to worry that the case was going cold.

Thank you and East Coast folks for sharing that the press is covering the latest developments in the case. I was starting to worry that the case was going cold.

There is no way PV will let that happen.

Although these two cases could very well be connected, I don't think the two cases are, personally, however, I do think that LE thought they could be initially. Why else would the FBI get involved with the VM case? They only get involved in limited cases ie. serial murder, or interstate. (and other reasons that don't apply here)
I agree, until I hear LE enforcement say they are not connected, I won't dismiss the idea.
LE also said for people to remain cautious, in the VM case. That hasn't changed either, so up until the time that they do say something different, or make an arrest, I am hoping that people do remain cautious, because I still see a threat in both cases.

Either the two cases are connected, in that the perp knew both women ( even slightly), or there are two high risk,/ kill in public places,/ in broad daylight/ predators on the loose. Violent sexual sadists. jmo, though.

Wasn't familial DNA just used in a case in Suffolk County NY? For the Bitrolff brothers

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Wasn't familial DNA just used in a case in Suffolk County NY? For the Bitrolff brothers

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

"Acting on a 2012 New York State law that allows law enforcement to take DNA samples from anyone convicted of a crime, the authorities collected Timothy Bittrolff’s genetic material, which proved a partial match to the DNA in semen found on the bodies of Ms. McNamee and Ms. Tangredi."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/0...uspect-is-arrested-in-killing-of-2-women.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Acting on a 2012 New York State law that allows law enforcement to take DNA samples from anyone convicted of a crime, the authorities collected Timothy Bittrolff’s genetic material, which proved a partial match to the DNA in semen found on the bodies of Ms. McNamee and Ms. Tangredi."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/0...uspect-is-arrested-in-killing-of-2-women.html

I am confused. Bittrolff was arrested because his brother had to give DNA. What is the difference between this and what the Vetranos are fighting for? Does the other test get more detailed? Ex. Locating cousins, uncles, and other males in the family. You can always count on Donna L to throw a monkey wrench into everything thats good.

What is the FBI's position on the topic of familiar DNA? Karina was found on federal land . Cant they get the test done? Over ride NY stupid laws.

What is the FBI's position on the topic of familiar DNA? Karina was found on federal land . Cant they get the test done? Over ride NY stupid laws.

Let's hope it's just a matter of time. Wish they thought of this sooner.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/karina-...dna-technique-crack-case-of-slain-nyc-jogger/
Could controversial DNA technique crack case of slain NYC jogger Karina Vetrano?
December 9, 2016, 3:18 PM
[…]Concerns about familial DNA searching . . .
“We don’t subject some people to disparate treatment because of taint of blood,” says Erin Murphy, a New York University law professor who has studied the issue. “It’s a violation of some of our foundational principles.”
Supporters say familial DNA investigations can be structured to pursue only strong leads and do it discreetly. California, for instance, strives to investigate them without letting on to the potential suspects or their family members.
“The idea that we’re rousting relatives, innocent people, it’s a fabrication,” says Rockne Harmon, a retired California prosecutor and prominent voice for familial DNA searching.
Cathy Vetrano has her own assessment.
“If any person who thinks it’s unfair was in this situation,” she says, “I think they would be feeling differently.”

Can someone explain what the real issue is with this familial DNA?
I would have no problem whatsoever if cops called and said "it looks like your cousin committed this crime, who might this be?" I'm sure most people would know immediately.

Can someone explain what the real issue is with this familial DNA?
I would have no problem whatsoever if cops called and said "it looks like your cousin committed this crime, who might this be?" I'm sure most people would know immediately.

There are many examples of persons being treated by LE as “guilty until proven innocent”.

The news article I referenced above includes this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/karina-...dna-technique-crack-case-of-slain-nyc-jogger/

Concerns about familial DNA searching hit home for New Orleans filmmaker Michael Usry in 2014, when police showed up with a warrant to get his DNA as a possible suspect in a 1996 killing in Idaho.
A crime scene DNA sample was similar to that of Usry’s father, who’d voluntarily given it for a nonprofit genealogy project; police had gotten the data from a website that acquired it. The baffled filmmaker spent a month worrying about what would happen before further testing cleared him.

The test is a crime fighting tool. Its like picking up prints at a crime scene. Then the proccess of elimination begins. This needs to be done. Show of hands. Whos willing to say its ok for their daughter to be the next victim if you disagree with this type of testing? You cant have it both ways.

I say the testing would narrow the suspects list a bit.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeMi2019