NY-Long Island-Four bodies found on Beach-Possible Serial Killer-Dec 2010 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I've never had the opportunity to visit this are. I tend to get confused easily when the case is in an unfamiliar area to me. Sooooo, since the pictures help me, and I see "where's the map" is becoming a reoccuring question....I brought you guys this.

This is the map from the news site

newsbodymap.jpg

And this is mine. It's not perfect but I lined up everything the news gave me to work with so it should be pretty close.
LINYbodies1.jpg

This is as if you were standing in the roadway, just west of body 1, looking eastward...

Westof1stbodylookingeast.jpg

LINYbodies.jpg

And for anyone who's interested, here's some background info on the four bodies found in Atlantic City, just for you to look at for comparison purposes.

AtlCityBodies.jpg

Sorry about the margins. I know....I suck.:banghead:

Great job on the maps, Shutterfly!

That's just spooky - the lining up of the bodies in Atlantic city & the ones on Long Island.

An early analysis suggests none is Gilbert - who vanished in May after a sex romp in a gated community in Oak Beach.

"Preliminarily, it doesn't look like it is her," Suffolk County Police Commissioner Richard Dormer told the Daily News yesterday.
"It does look like the bodies were there for some time," Dormer said.

"You can tell from the physical evidence that it's possible they were there for a year, a year and a half, two years."

He declined to say whether cops were trying to link the bodies to any missing-persons cases beyond Gilbert's.

more here

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...dies_found_at_beach_in_li_hint_at_slayer.html

The area where the bodies were found are on Long Island's South shore. Attached is a link to a detailed map of Fire Island.

Link to map

If you scroll to the left as far as you can go, and look toward the bottom of the map to the area left of "Fire Island Lighthouse Visitor Center" you will see "Captree State Park". To the left of that is Ocean Parkway, with Oak Beach listed below it. This is the area where they found the bodies. As you can tell, there is water to the north and the south of the area. To reach it, you either have to come across the Robert Moses Causeway, or come from the west, which is where Jones Beach and Gilgo Beach State Parks are located.

Just bumping the above information with the map.
According to NY Newsday, a regional newspaper, the bodies were found on a stretch of land between Gilgo and Cedar Beaches, a few feet north of Ocean Parkway.

Interesting the AC victims were left in a row as where the LI victims. Aslo sets of four.

I got a distance of 118 miles between locations. I think it is very odd that the tiny little bit we know matches up with the other case. Near water/ 4 bodies/ lined in a row.

Is there a motel anywhere close?

Also the bodies were found 4 years ago on November 20, 2006

Shutterfly! So good to see you and awesome job on the maps!! :woohoo:

Talk about that one in a million shot. How about this? What are the chances that this truck just happened to be sitting right here on Ocean Parkway where body 4 seems to have been located. Unless this is a LE vehicle of some sort, it's seen again in some of the google shots, sitting up the road further west, in the cut through between the east and west bound lanes.

This picture is flipped north to south because it was the only shot I got of it at all in this spot. So the bodies and the truck were on the same side of the road in this picture. Yeah, unlikely......but creepy as heII nonetheless.
NYbodies1.jpg

This article from AMW gives details about the AC crime scene.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=41917

The details of the crime scene are eerie. According to investigators, each body was dumped about 60 feet from the last, and all of their faces were positioned in the same peculiar way -- with their heads facing east, toward Atlantic City. All of the victims were wearing clothes on their bodies, but were all missing their shoes and socks. Medical examiners told police that the women were not killed at the same time, although it appears that they were all killed within a month of one another.

Shutterfly that is creepy. You should call that in. Also do you have the exact date the photo was taken?

Trying to get a better map of the area. It turns out that Cedar Beach is to the west of Gilgo State Park so I believe the location of the bodies is more west than I initially believed.

See link to Google Map here. (I hope my link works!)

Okay-- it works. According to NY Newsday, the bodies were found between Cedar Beach and Gilgo Beach (Gilgo State Park) as indicated on the linked map.

This article from AMW gives details about the AC crime scene.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=41917

Shutterfly that is creepy. You should call that in. Also do you have the exact date the photo was taken?

No dates........ knowing google, I'd say at LEAST a year old, probably more. The image of my own house still doesn't show my vehicles or the roof we put on....and I've been here a year and a half now.

No dates........ knowing google, I'd say at LEAST a year old, probably more. The image of my own house still doesn't show my vehicles or the roof we put on....and I've been here a year and a half now.

I googled around and it looks like Google updates their Maps software every year, but only updates their street views every 2 years. So, I'd say it's about 2 years old..maybe a little less since Google says they update highways and commercial streets more frequently than residential streets.

I googled around and it looks like Google updates their Maps software every year, but only updates their street views every 2 years. So, I'd say it's about 2 years old..maybe a little less since Google says they update highways and commercial streets more frequently than residential streets.

Okay, now this is humiliating. Do you know if Bing is the same way? Those images I pulled off the map, of the truck, were off of Bing. Sorry bout that. I've just gotten so used to it, everything falls into the "google" category.

Okay, now this is humiliating. Do you know if Bing is the same way? Those images I pulled off the map, of the truck, were off of Bing. Sorry bout that. I've just gotten so used to it, everything falls into the "google" category.

It looks like some Bing maps update every 90 days, while others update every year or 2. So there's no way to tell for sure when it last updated, I guess. :(

By the way, your maps are great Shutterfly! You did a fantastic job.

FBI Called In to Assist Police

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/15/fbi-called-authorities-hunt-possible-new-york-serial-killer/

Also, according to the article, in 2006 there were 4 prostitutes murdered and their bodies were all dumped behind an Atlantic City motel. The killer was never caught...I wonder if it's the same killer, and he changed locations for whatever reason.

I think so. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the new report so I imagine the LE there were thinking it to.

I also hope so I would like to think they only have one murderer to catch killing four people in a short time and dumping the bodies at one location.

IF it is the same killer maybe since his other location was found he had to find a new place and He also would want to know when this location was found out so if he used the same spot he would hear when they found his cach. One body and he might not of heard they found it. To risky as he would not know when to make his get away move.(just thinking) Because I dont understand why all the same place. But if he makes the front page he wouldnt miss the front page and new coverage.

I think so. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the new report so I imagine the LE there were thinking it to.

I also hope so I would like to think they only have one murderer to catch killing four people in a short time and dumping the bodies at one location.

IF it is the same killer maybe since his other location was found he had to find a new place and He also would want to know when this location was found out so if he used the same spot he would hear when they found his cach. One body and he might not of heard they found it. To risky as he would not know when to make his get away move.(just thinking) Because I dont understand why all the same place. But if he makes the front page he wouldnt miss the front page and new coverage.

I agree..most likely when police started publicizing that they had uncovered the 4 bodies behind the motel, he got scared and changed locations. Or, it could be another "stresser" in life, like he moved, changed jobs, etc. and his new location was more private.

Serial killers often dump their bodies in the same spot (not always, but sometimes) because it's a sense of familiarity to them, and because if their spot hasn't been uncovered yet, they think it's "safe" there.

So AMW is talking about body posing, etc now. Hmmmm, that makes you wonder. I think it's pretty safe to assume that these poor ladies weren't deprived of their lives right here, one by one on the side of this road, so what happened?

I'd have to think he's pretty darned familiar with this area and knows traffic patterns, etc, in order to feel comfortable not only dumping, but potentially posing bodies as well? And he went back to that spot, within a few hundred feet, at least four times? Wow, he's a cocky one, isn't he? Comfort Zone anyone?

I gotta wonder if Atlantic City is home for him and this is his vacation spot, or vice versa. He seems to know both area's awfully well. Ditches? Who knows the ditches in any particular area? Someone who's looked at them every single day.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/bodies-long-island-beach-serial-killer-loose/story?id=12399090

Does Chilling 911 Call Have Clue to New York Serial Killer?

Police Determine That All Four Victims Were Women

A mother who fears her daughter is among the four skeletal bodies found along a New York beach says she has listened to a chilling 911 call her daughter made screaming for help because "he's trying to kill me."

Mari Gilbert of Ellenville, N.Y., said her 24-year-old daughter Shannan disappeared last May. Police say the missing woman was a prostitute who was visiting a client on Fire Island, about a mile from the bodies were discovered.

"She was running and knocking on neighbors doors screaming he's trying to kill me," said Mari Gilbert told ABC News.

Her sister Sherre Gilbert said, "She was basicly running away, trying to leave and it was heard, 'Get away from me, get away from me.'"

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article and video at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpps/news/su...ims-on-craigslist-dpgonc-20101215-fc_11086549

Two of the killer's victims are believed to have been prostitutes who used Craigslist and were last seen in the area. They include Shannan Gilbert, 24, who placed a 911 call the day she disappeared, telling an emergency operator that she feared for her life and was trying to get away from a client.

Her family said police know the man's name -- and that he lives near the stretch of Ocean Parkway in Gilgo Beach where the body believed to be Gilbert's, and three others, were found in the past two days.

"We all heard the last 911 call," said Gilbert's mother, Mari Gilbert. "[Shannan] was screaming the person's name [and saying], 'He is trying to kill me!' She was saying, 'Help me! Help me! Help me!' She was trying to escape. We know who it is."

Mari Gilbert, 43, said she made contact with investigators but that they ignored the case for months -- taking it seriously only this week, when it began to look like her daughter was the victim of a serial killer.

A police source said Gilbert's client was questioned multiple times, both when she disappeared and again after the bodies were unearthed.

The source said the man, whose name was not released, stuck to his story that Gilbert was at his house for several hours but became agitated. After he coaxed her to leave, she ran out of the home -- and that was the last time he saw her, the source said.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member