GUILTY NY - Martha Stewart for lying about stock sale, NYC, 2003

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Martha wasn't convicted for insider trading. She was convicted for lying to investigators by saying she didn't do it. What kind of wacky justice is that? Am I the only one who thinks there's something wrong with this picture?

I have never been a fan of Martha's and don't like the way it's been reported that she often treats people, but I firmly believe the case was brought against her because she's a powerful woman, and certain powerful men thought she needed to be put in her place.

Ivy said:
Martha wasn't convicted for insider trading. She was convicted for lying to investigators by saying she didn't do it. What kind of wacky justice is that? Am I the only one who thinks there's something wrong with this picture?

I have never been a fan of Martha's and don't like the way it's been reported that she often treats people, but I firmly believe the case was brought against her because she's a powerful woman, and certain powerful men thought she needed to be put in her place.

I agree with you. I'm not a fan of hers either, but I think something is wrong here. I'm not saying this woman is a saint by any means, but jail time over this???? The sad thing is that I think most people do think it's insider trading that she's been convicted of and I think her career will be forever damaged.

NewMom2003 said:
I agree with you. I'm not a fan of hers either, but I think something is wrong here. I'm not saying this woman is a saint by any means, but jail time over this???? The sad thing is that I think most people do think it's insider trading that she's been convicted of and I think her career will be forever damaged.
They don't want people to lie to Federal Investigators. You know what they say, don't scr*w with the Government!!! It was a felony, and she got the MINIMUM sentence possible according to the sentencing guidlines. She got off easier than most anyone else found guilty of that crime.

Jeana (DP) said:
Can you count all four cheeks or just the ones on your face? :angel: :angel: :angel: :blushing:
LOL! Some days I need every cheek I can find, LOL!

Jeana (DP) said:
By the way, there's an article in the newspaper where she actually kinda compares herself to Nelson Mandela:

Stewart said she would have no problem doing the time.

"I could do it," she said in an interview with ABC. "I'm a really good camper. ... There are many, many good people who have gone to prison. Look at Nelson Mandela."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/091504dnbusstewart.275ae.html
Yeah, whatever public support she had basically disappeared after that asinine comment. She tried to explain it away later, but give me a break! Shows that she just doesn't "get it."

Casshew said:
Sprocky... I thought you would like Martha... you are a crafty chick :)
I've never denied she is a big creative talent; and a very sharp business woman. Heck, I have martha colors on my walls, and will probably repaint with her colors.

However, that doesn't change my opinion about her personality.

Sprocket said:
I've never denied she is a big creative talent; and a very sharp business woman. Heck, I have martha colors on my walls, and will probably repaint with her colors.

However, that doesn't change my opinion about her personality.
Interesting! because I heard that she absolutely adores you :blowkiss:

Ivy said:

Yes. I agree. Where is Ken Lay? Not headed for jail anytime soon.

Dark Knight said:
They don't want people to lie to Federal Investigators. You know what they say, don't scr*w with the Government!!! It was a felony, and she got the MINIMUM sentence possible according to the sentencing guidlines. She got off easier than most anyone else found guilty of that crime.
Who are other famous people found guilty of that crime?

I think Martha should have started her time as soon as she was convicted. I believe she is trying to bring back some of her magazines big advertizers. Put this sentence behind her and move on, if she wins the appeal all the better for her, she will appear brave........

I do think she was harshly punished for lying to the government......many men on wall street have done worse and never even got prosecuted. Her past bad behavior and arrogance made her a target. Too bad only men can get away with being tough......

Ivy said:

I am TOTALLY with you here Ivy.
and one reason there "is something wrong with this picture is because of what BirdieBoo said...

Where is Ken Lay? Not headed for jail anytime soon.

This is just whacked.
I am NO DOMESTICATED GENIUS by any stretch of the imagination, I own nothing that she makes.
Enron not only stole thousands and thousands of lives (I have PLENTY of friends in Houston) but also millions and millions of dollars...
this is ridiculous.

I DO NOT think MS was COMPARING herself to Nelson Mandela people (REALLY) I think she was using him as a person to look up to that had gone to jail= (if you have never been faced with jail time- pls. try to refrain from harsh judgements)
She was HORRIFIED. She was trying to gather her strength. She was in front of millions and she was reacting (as ALL of us do, except for the ones on the brink of 'mastery') upon the emotion that FEAR caused. Can you imagine talking to millions right after you found out that you would spend 5 months in jail????? (the time faced doesn't really matter- it is the fear of JAIL)
I think she is a smart business woman.
I think she needs and needed to be strong for her to get to where she is.
She is a roll model for women entrepreneurs anywhere.
If you say she isn't a roll model,
think again.

She tells em' how ta "get er done..."
She has thrived in her male dominated coorperate 'world'.
This world can include, for those in her VERY unique and rare postition,
discrimination, sexual harassment, abuse (a lot of women are paid less than men in the same positons, on that particular level)
Women can be made the "target", (I DEFINITELY think she has)
etc etc etc.
I think she has done well.
I am not saying I like her. I am saying she is "making it easier for women in a man's world" and I RESPECT her for that.

I am sure she will have the time to read some good books.
Nelson Mandela came out a better man. Ghandi. Heck,
the Dalai Lama would be in prison today had he stayed in Tibet. (FREE TIBET!!)
I don't understand why some people are so hard on her.
She lied. So have you. And if you are judging the calibre, or (level???) of the lie,
you sit in judment.
Which is worse-
Being overly judmental to the point of creating anger,
or a liar?
I am not sure which one- but I would try my best to be neither, and that is what I am trying to do.

So looks like she will be out by next Spring and can get on with her life. Wish her the best, prison is not a place anyone wants to visit, but believe she will do okay.

http://www.thekcrachannel.com/money/3769666/detail.html

Martha Stewart is heading for "Camp Cupcake."
Stewart will serve her five-month prison term at a West Virginia facility -- not one in Connecticut or Florida, as she had hoped.
~~~~~
A source said it was picked because of its remote location -- amid fears the facilities Stewart chose were too media-accessible.
~~~~

Sort of ironic, Cupcake.

Nancy Drew said:
I predict Martha will not only do fine, but she will emerge as even more formidable of a business competitor. She's going down as one of the premier women of our time.

She's even going to teach us how to take the knocks in stride. :)
ms will come out and create a new fortune. whatever made her
rich the first time won't be lost...jmho

She's not broke. Not by any stretch of the imagination. She's worth less than she was before, but she's still in the multi millions. I don't think she'll be eating boxed macaroni and cheese or pork and beans (or whatever they eat) during her lifetime.

I heard on the news that she's going to be working in landscape maintenance or food service while in prison. I think she is wise to get it over with. She is one tough cookie and will be even stronger when she comes out: I predict she will make a big comeback upon her release.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back