Identified! NY - Mount Vernon, WhtFem 51UFNY, 18-25, Left Near Junkyard, Feb'88 - Veronica Wiederhold

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jess, thank you for the clip and bless you again for doing all this, even appearing with news crew at the scene of the crime, all must have taken some courage. Bless.

I have noticed that you were standing next to the same exact fence as G.Ossipo was standing next to on picture of him from the crime scene published with his original article. That would be around 22 Carleton, if I am not mistaken as 10 is yucky pink building?

Now, I do not think number 10 published widely could be typo instead of 22 (or vice versa) which leaves only one answer what it could be, or rather just an assumption...

Roselvr thank you for publishing and spreading MVJD news on your FB website too, if you do not mind I share the links here

https://www.facebook.com/WeWontForgetThem/posts/1247282578619110
https://www.facebook.com/WeWontForg....1453079462./1246070838740284/?type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/WeWontForgetThem/posts/1246794598667908

I have to go back to add it to her album narrative, was on my cell and couldn't edit. I also have not watched the video. My main concern was getting the article posted so everyone could at least read it. Took me forever to find a Comcast bill to get our account number to make an account lol My hub had boxed all of last years bills lol

So happy to see they ran the story.

I am supposed to hear back from the Journal News/Lohud newspaper today, and I also took the initiative of reaching out to the New York Times, the New York Daily News, and Gothamist.com to ask if they would be interested in picking up our girl's story.

Any chance I can see a link to the crime scene photo? Not for morbid curiosity. I would just like to see if it's much different from the morgue photo. Also curious to see if she looks more Mediterranean. I really think she looks Italian American.

I agree that looking at the crime scene photos help in comparing a pm photo. Also some might notice different things that others might not.

Quick question why is it that her eyebrows and underarms are unkept but her legs and vaginal area is shaved?

I know sex worker has been mentioned but wouldn't they want to groom everywhere? As was mentioned before..

I know and have heard that being shaved down there in the 70's and 80's was looked at as not sex and I believe trimming and having hair was womanly. I know friends of mine who grew up in that era firmly state if women were clean shaven they found it odd and gross.

I agree that looking at the crime scene photos help in comparing a pm photo. Also some might notice different things that others might not.

Me and many others would love to see it too, however unless LE decides to share it with us we won't unfortunately be able to :tantrum:. I am sure those 1 or 2 selected who had the privilege had to promise strict confidentiality.

I am really thrilled MVJD is getting public attention but I really wish detective of the case would make public appeal too as we not only want people to know about her but also for people to be able to call or write LE with feedback and perhaps finally some leads. It has been too long, so perhaps people who could not or would not talk before could do that now.

I assure you from the bottom of my heart that Det. DiMase is dedicated and devoted to bringing justice for our girl. And I'm not one to blindly defend LE as I've had my issues with MVPD in the past. But he is truly one of the good guys. Maybe I can ask if a group of local volunteers can post flyers around the city with Carl's recon and DiMase's contact info?

I am really thrilled MVJD is getting public attention but I really wish detective of the case would make public appeal too as we not only want people to know about her but also for people to be able to call or write LE with feedback and perhaps finally some leads. It has been too long, so perhaps people who could not or would not talk before could do that now.

Hi from a fellow Jessica :)

It is possible that she only bothered shaving her pubic hair because that was the only part of her that would be seen, doing sex work in the winter, in cars. Eyebrow waxing was not a big thing in the 80s, the style was thick brows (think Brooke Shields). I don't know for certain if her legs were shaved or not, because it's not specified in NamUs; it only specifies her underarms and pubic area.

Quick question why is it that her eyebrows and underarms are unkept but her legs and vaginal area is shaved?

I know sex worker has been mentioned but wouldn't they want to groom everywhere? As was mentioned before..

I know and have heard that being shaved down there in the 70's and 80's was looked at as not sex and I believe trimming and having hair was womanly. I know friends of mine who grew up in that era firmly state if women were clean shaven they found it odd and gross.

Jess, my apologies if it came across that I was implying that he was not dedicated. That was Not my intention at all! Their job is hard and traumatic as it is, especially in NY.

I am just over thinking what we can do from our side to help with her anniversary approaching in few days. Someone with media knowledge and connections, perhaps online marketing skills would be great help to spread the word. We could target news and audience of Mount Vernon, Bronx (perhaps South Bronx), some other nearby neighborhoods, Italian and Brazilian population in the neighborhoods, New Jersey, Pennsylvania. We want to reach somehow middle aged and older generation in those locations.

I think on the flyers or news we could concentrate on her identity rather then her murder, as IMHO I think its more likely then different news and public will pick it up and share it. Perhaps "Did you missed loved one in 1988?" "Did you know her? Who is mysterious girl of 1988?" etc..

Involving (on the ground) volunteers is brilliant idea too. I would stick that flyer on every door of Calverton Avenue and adjacent little streets, including nearby motels. That flyer there however could be a bit stronger, something like "She was found here, on Calverton Avenue in 1988, did you know her"? Is murderer amongst us?" I think that would stir some waters there and people and staff would talk, at least to each other about the case... (there on the flyer, if it is allowed, could be phone number and email of LE or any possibility of written communication as well for public to leave any tips)
Please let's not get any innocent volunteer to be arrested for fly-tipping though :escape: :hills: :)

I know that many sleuthers of WS have been involved in running campaigns for different cases, their help and knowledge even advise would be invaluable here.

I didn't think you were implying that at all! I just meant that I know how frustrating it is to not see LE dealing with the press, but DiMase has been doing all he can short of that.

Jess, my apologies if it came across that I was implying that he was not dedicated. That was Not my intention at all! Their job is hard and traumatic as it is, especially in NY.

It's funny you mention the Bronx, because this morning I was standing outside talking to myself (I'm sure I looked very smart!) and I said out loud, "She wouldn't have gone to the Bronx." I think you are more on target with focusing on New Jersey, maybe Pennsylvania but I doubt it. NJ seems to be a recurring theme among all of us here.

I am just over thinking what we can do from our side to help with her anniversary approaching in few days. Someone with media knowledge and connections, perhaps online marketing skills would be great help to spread the word. We could target news and audience of Mount Vernon, Bronx (perhaps South Bronx), some other nearby neighborhoods, Italian and Brazilian population in the neighborhoods, New Jersey, Pennsylvania. We want to reach somehow middle aged and older generation in those locations.

Other than me, there are 3 guys I went to high school with who are interested in this case. There is also a younger kid, early 20s, who isn't really interested in it but loves to volunteer around town (he does one-man city street cleanups, etc). I'm working on drawing up a flyer and putting the police dept.'s number on it with DiMase as the contact (their phone number is obviously public knowledge, so it's not like I'm giving out personal access to him). Anyone with ideas, please let me know! This is the only case I've ever gotten so deeply invested in, so any suggestions from people with more experience, throw it at me!

Involving (on the ground) volunteers is brilliant idea too. I would stick that flyer on every door of Calverton Avenue and adjacent little streets, including nearby motels. That flyer there however could be a bit stronger, something like "She was found here, on Calverton Avenue in 1988, did you know her"? Is murderer amongst us?" I think that would stir some waters there and people and staff would talk, at least to each other about the case... (there on the flyer, if it is allowed, could be phone number and email of LE or any possibility of written communication as well for public to leave any tips)
Please let's not get any innocent volunteer to be arrested for fly-tipping though :escape: :hills: :)

I know that many sleuthers of WS have been involved in running campaigns for different cases, their help and knowledge even advise would be invaluable here.

Sent an email to the New Jersey Star Ledger asking if they would be interested in picking up the story.
Still no reply from LoHud/Journal News of Westchester, NY.

I was researching Brazilian American's today, and according to Wikipedia Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Florida also have a high percentage of people born in Brazil or with Brazilian ancestry. And of course New York and New Jersey which were already discussed.

It's funny Al Ka brings up Pennsylvania because on Wikipedia's list of the communities with the most people born in Brazil #10 is a town in Berks County, PA.

It's funny Al Ka brings up Pennsylvania because on Wikipedia's list of the communities with the most people born in Brazil #10 is a town in Berks County, PA.

I didn't know that! TBH, I've mostly been focusing on her being Portuguese, since our Brazilian immigration started about 10 years after her death. Maybe I should reach out to a PA paper.

I'm from Pennsylvania, so it surprised me too as I've never met anyone with Brazilian ancestry. Is Mount Vernon close to PA? I live on the opposite end of the state so I'm not familiar with that side.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Mount Vernon is close to NYC. I've driven through PA on my way to VA, and it was about a 4 hour drive.

I'm from Pennsylvania, so it surprised me too as I've never met anyone with Brazilian ancestry. Is Mount Vernon close to PA? I live on the opposite end of the state so I'm not familiar with that side.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I am sorry to say that my own local newspaper does not want to pick up the story.
I am ANGRY right now. It's bad enough they botched the 2013 story - now they won't put something new out?

Capture.JPG

I know its disappointing, but you've done awesome work and they'll probably be more interested when isotope analysis happens... They'll have a new angle to share :)

I am sorry to say that my own local newspaper does not want to pick up the story.
I am ANGRY right now. It's bad enough they botched the 2013 story - now they won't put something new out?

attachment.php

Why on Earth does he not want to write it? It's an article about an unidentified murder victim in the area! What does he have to lose from writing it?

I am very, very happy to say that we got a great segment thanks to you, Jessica! That had to have reached so many people! Them not doing the article is just really frustrating...

I have a feeling that he doesn't want to contradict the 2013 story by Will David, where George Ossipo maintained that our girl is Cathleen Martin.

And thanks for your kind words, Springrain and Anonymess :) I'm just frustrated because as Springrain said, what does the paper have to lose by covering it? Nothing.

Why on Earth does he not want to write it? It's an article about an unidentified murder victim in the area! What does he have to lose from writing it?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back